Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moreleth
Jun 11, 2001

lego my eggo
That cat is hella sexy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Those black/yellow storage tubs are the best. One of these days I'll switch everything in my garage over to them.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I need a better garage

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Those black/yellow storage tubs are the best. One of these days I'll switch everything in my garage over to them.

Watch out. They changed the lid design a few years ago for all of the ones sold at big box stores, and they don't stand up to nearly the same stacking weight anymore.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You're fitting ❤ mufflers to everything now right?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

cakesmith handyman posted:

You're fitting ❤ mufflers to everything now right?

I looked over and over for the Hello Kitty muffler in the picture, but a heart is okay too.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Finally had a chance to edit the post. It's been a long weekend...

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Aw, not your PPort housings? Man, you really are doing too much turbo stuff, you should do a nice simple holesaw-ported build. ;)

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

mekilljoydammit posted:

Aw, not your PPort housings? Man, you really are doing too much turbo stuff, you should do a nice simple holesaw-ported build. ;)

It's in the plans and something Rob would be 100% behind helping with- I've just got to finish up these loose ends before embarking on another project.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Sweet. Actually, reminds me, I was going to go rework the peripheral port I've got kicking around and fix some things. I'd offer to do some housings, but you have a mill there, don't you?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I do and it's closer to being functional again. (Wiring upgrade was required). I've been looking for a sweet deal on a annular cutter big enough to hog out some housings. GSL-SE housings are still reasonably priced, at least for now...

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

1/4" pilot hole, 1 3/4" bimetal hole saw with a piece of rod to follow the pilot hole, boring head to clean it up and take it to final size. Annular cutters are the "right" way to do it, but hole saw works just fine.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Where are you finding housings? It's been a complete gamble lately buying used stuff for me. I ended up with 2 sets of shrunk FD housings recently that were so bad we junked them. My favorite was the twisted set. It was overheated so bad that you could feel the rock on a granite surface plate. New is getting scary expensive. If I had a few $$$ around, I would pick up a couple sets of S5 and S6 housings.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I am seriously considering buying up all of the used JDM engines in Canada from all the importers. They still go for $1500CAD here for the full long blocks (I've seen a few in Vancouver as low as $1300).

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

12As, I just take apart every one that comes into my hands, and about 1 in 3 housings is potentially usable... I'm very nearly out of handy 12As to disassemble and good used housings though. 13Bs, I had a good S5 NA engine and a good GSL-SE, and a friend of ours hand-me-down'd 3 heavily ported sets of GSL-SE housings. I think I have about half a dozen dead 13B housings, none of which I killed myself.

Not a reliable source, but for a while parts cars were ridiculously cheap around here.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

McTinkerson posted:

I am seriously considering buying up all of the used JDM engines in Canada from all the importers. They still go for $1500CAD here for the full long blocks (I've seen a few in Vancouver as low as $1300).

I can peep the Montreal importers if you want. I go there once or twice a month and I have a boroscope.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

mekilljoydammit posted:

12As, I just take apart every one that comes into my hands, and about 1 in 3 housings is potentially usable... I'm very nearly out of handy 12As to disassemble and good used housings though. 13Bs, I had a good S5 NA engine and a good GSL-SE, and a friend of ours hand-me-down'd 3 heavily ported sets of GSL-SE housings. I think I have about half a dozen dead 13B housings, none of which I killed myself.

Not a reliable source, but for a while parts cars were ridiculously cheap around here.

So the good news for flaked/chipped older housings (12a/early 13b) is a rechroming process is nearly ready for its first test run. It's a different process then I've seen others use (which seem to have adhesion issue after ~10k miles). The issue I have is turbo motors seem to destroy housings beyond the current processes capabilities. Apex seals like to leave deep groves that damage the steel liner beyond the grinding depth necessary to recoat/build up a new chrome layer. That and it does nothing for shrunken housings. It does give me hope that we can save just worn out-higher milage housings. The worst part is realizing I've thrown away at least two dozen rechromable housings. Oh well.

JDM engines are an option I'm exploring- but everyone wants $2k+ delivered to Oregon. I might have to save up some $$$ and make a trip to Cali or Vancouver for 3-4 engines at once.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

the spyder posted:

JDM engines are an option I'm exploring- but everyone wants $2k+ delivered to Oregon. I might have to save up some $$$ and make a trip to Cali or Vancouver for 3-4 engines at once.

With the exchange rate right now, buying 4 JDM engines from Vancouver might be worth it for you.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Well, it sounds like it's a good thing I never throw anything out, because I still have that other 2/3rds of 12A housings... :D

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Sounds like soon enough there will be a market for replacement housings made by DMLS.

E: come to think of it, I know I'll piss off the RADL, but at $2k I'd be strongly looking at a less high-strung piston engine replacement or just outright scrapping the car. But I have no sentimental attachment to these cars...

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 17, 2017

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Casting, tbh, but Mazda still makes (versions) of all the parts so there's not much of a cost driver for entirely new parts yet, especially when people are getting close to having reconditioning of used parts VE a thing. I do have rotors on my long term casting todo list though.

Most rotary people are cheapasses though; think like the market division on SBC stuff where some will build off of high end Dart blocks or whatever and some will try to scavenge the exact right good condition 400 block because it's $1000 cheaper.

mekilljoydammit fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 17, 2017

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Hey, you gonna post pictures of how good America's Tire is at installing wheels?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

McTinkerson posted:

With the exchange rate right now, buying 4 JDM engines from Vancouver might be worth it for you.

Soon how much room do you have at your house for imported FD's that aren't quite legal here in the US.... lol

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

the spyder posted:

Soon how much room do you have at your house for imported FD's that aren't quite legal here in the US.... lol

I have room for two running cars and about 8 long blocks in my garage.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
up garage rules

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Hey, you gonna post pictures of how good America's Tire is at installing wheels?

Thanks Discount Tire!

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
That is what happens when techs get into pissing contests over who has the biggest airgun and also how accurately they can measure torque in ugga-duggas . Yet, as soon as they pull the trigger the bloodlust nudges in from the back of their mind and it doesn't take much to bring a full on loving battlefield flashback

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSsz2tJl8rg&t=14s

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Hey! Discount tire did that to me too. Then I took it next door to have them press some studs in and welp.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus Christ I hate chain tire shops with a passion. I found one good Indy tire/alignment shop and they are expensive but worth it because they aren't idiots and actually take pride in doing poo poo right.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Jesus. That's why I typically take my cars to the hispanic used tire places out in Hillsboro, and have them mount the tire and then hand-install the lugnuts.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Did Mazda ever try anything with Nikasil coated aluminum housings instead of a chromed liner?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Picture dump!

Wheels:

Red

Shop cleaning, whisky, and books.

At 344k, the original radiator finally cracked on the passenger end tank. Thankfully my wife noticed the coolant in the parking lot and called me. She could have drove it home- it barely lost any coolant, but better safe than sorry. $85 off Amazon Warehouse deals for a new core that will be here Wednesday.

Tool acquisition

Blue FD

Random sunset.

Side job: Boat project! I'm helping a friend re-do the mount for his electronics and steering wheel/nav. It involved hacking up this lovely bracket and welding new sleeves on. It's the first time I've used the lathe since repairing it last year.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kmENjUxl.jpg[/img

the spyder fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 10, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

What color is that dark blue called? Starlight mica or something? God I love that Color on FDs.

Also watch out for those chemtrails.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Applebees Appetizer posted:

What color is that dark blue called? Starlight mica or something? God I love that Color on FDs.

Also watch out for those chemtrails.

Montego Blue, it's my least favourite colour for the FD haha

What's the alum solution for?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
gently caress talking about the car colors. Please detail your whisky collection.

Namely what's in-between the Yamasaki and Santory.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Montego Blue, it's my least favourite colour for the FD haha

What's the alum solution for?

yep, they make miatas in the same color and I'm not a fan. It's a weird green/blue depending on the light.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I really need to clean up those photos. Work has been crazy, lost another coworker this week which means more 12-14h days.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Since you seem to be the PNW rotary whisperer, do you know anything about this truck?

I have been looking for a cheap little truck to handle basic around town truck duties, and its hard to say no to a weird rotary swap.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

NA 13Bs aren't exactly known for their low-end torque... I'd still drive it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MiniFoo posted:

NA 13Bs Rotaries aren't exactly known for their low-end torque... I'd still drive it, though.
(Really would drive that.)