Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Thank god this is MAF's last season as a Penguin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

God drat I remember his statement following the poo poo that went down with Richards and that was weird as hell. What the hell would the benefits be?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

e: drat, not the GDT again, i'm broken :(

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Good soup! posted:

God drat I remember his statement following the poo poo that went down with Richards and that was weird as hell. What the hell would the benefits be?

Sweet L.A. based pain-meds hookups

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Good soup! posted:

Not really sure. Travis Hughes absolutely shredded the idea

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

The way he handled the Richards and Voynov situations should be enough to keep Lombardi out of a job. Seriously scummy poo poo.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

grack posted:

The way he handled the Richards and Voynov situations should be enough to keep Lombardi out of a job. Seriously scummy poo poo.

Owners love people like that though. Because they too are evil vile monsters given flesh and power to walk the earth.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

gently caress me I had forgotten about Voynov, I can't imagine what the reasoning is behind all this and I hope it's just a dumb rumor.

DollyDagger
Dec 31, 2007

Good soup! posted:

gently caress me I had forgotten about Voynov, I can't imagine what the reasoning is behind all this and I hope it's just a dumb rumor.

Hexy is probably just trying to do his former mentor a solid by getting him right back into league in some capacity. I doubt Hextall actually wants Lombardi in Philly but feels like he owes the guy this much, you know?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
So Kovalchuk has confirmed that he wants to return to the NHL next season. Devils are allowing his agent to speak with other teams so that the Devils can do a sign and trade, assuming the deal works for NJ.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

So Kovalchuk has confirmed that he wants to return to the NHL next season. Devils are allowing his agent to speak with other teams so that the Devils can do a sign and trade, assuming the deal works for NJ.

That could really help NJ if they get some picks. I wonder what teams feel he's worth, though, given that he's 34 and hasn't played in the NHL in 4 years.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I don't fully understand why his old contract doesn't come back into effect. Is it now possible for players to 'retire' out of contracts they don't like and then rejoin the league at a later date and sign a new one? If so, why the hell couldn't the Canucks do that with Luongo instead of being forced to trade Schneider?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Didn't Kovalchuk and the Devils both agree to terminate the contract?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

I don't fully understand why his old contract doesn't come back into effect. Is it now possible for players to 'retire' out of contracts they don't like and then rejoin the league at a later date and sign a new one? If so, why the hell couldn't the Canucks do that with Luongo instead of being forced to trade Schneider?

Because if Luongo did that and didn't also leave the league for a few years in the meantime they'd see the obvious scam?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Because if Luongo did that and didn't also leave the league for a few years in the meantime they'd see the obvious scam?

And it wasn't an obvious scam for Kovalchuk? He left to go make more money in Russia, and is coming back now that the Ruble's collapse has cut his earnings in half. The guy 'retired from the NHL,' how is that any different than Radulov who was forced to play out the final year of his deal with the Preds when he came back the first time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

And it wasn't an obvious scam for Kovalchuk? He left to go make more money in Russia, and is coming back now that the Ruble's collapse has cut his earnings in half. The guy 'retired from the NHL,' how is that any different than Radulov who was forced to play out the final year of his deal with the Preds when he came back the first time.

Radulov went AWOL without permission from Nashville.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Suspicious posted:

Didn't Kovalchuk and the Devils both agree to terminate the contract?

Yes, but teams hold the rights for a player who jumps ship or retires or whatever for (I think) 5 years/seasons. So NJ has Kovalchuk's rights until the start of 2018-2019 since he "retired" after 2013.

ThinkTank posted:

I dunno, to be honest.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
It's not confirmed, but it confirms what my eyes were telling me the last couple months of the season: Tarasenko has been hurt

quote:

Will he or won’t he? The coach of Russia’s national team said Monday that Blues forward Vladimir Tarasenko wouldn’t be coming to the world championships, which are underway in Europe, because he needs surgery.

There was no confirmation from the Blues about their leading scorer and franchise foundation. Tarasenko’s North American-based agent, Mike Liut, said that more would be known after Tarasenko’s medical exam, which was expected early in the week.

I always thought his wrists/hands were injured sometime in March/April and teams kept on slashing him there like punks which probably contributed to his lack of offense in the playoffs.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I wonder what the hell his value is. My guess is, that at least for 2-3 years he's a 50-65 point player which is a lot of value but obv he has baggage.

There should be a lot of interest but who knows -- I'm sure he'll want a decent amount of money too.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Radulov went AWOL without permission from Nashville.

I get that distinction, but what I don't get is the difference it makes to garaunteed contracts? If a team gives its okay players can walk away from guaranteed contracts with a decade ore more to run on them now? if Kovalchuk had stayed retired, that's fine because the Devils got slapped with a recapture penalty. However, he's coming back but suddenly his previous contract doesn't apply anymore? How long does a player have to be 'retired' to rip up an old contract? Four years? Less? I just don't understand why he's not required to honour the final 8 years of his contract, and why the NHLPA is okay with all this.

I get that this is likely a unique case, but what a bad precedent to set considering a bunch of teams are probably going to point at it when they're looking to get out of their own back diving deals.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I dunno, to be honest.

Is this assuming that Luongo would have agreed to play in a different league? That seems like it's probably the biggest/only hitch in that situation...

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
thread: would you want Kovalchuk on your team for let's say 6m a year at 3 years and what would you trade for him

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

thread: would you want Kovalchuk on your team for let's say 6m a year at 3 years and what would you trade for him

If I was a fan of a contending team, absolutely and probably a 1st round pick and a roster player or something like that? If he's going to limit his options to New York or Florida, maybe a bit less. I wouldn't hold my breathe for a blue chip prospect or anything if I were you.

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Is this assuming that Luongo would have agreed to play in a different league? That seems like it's probably the biggest/only hitch in that situation...

I'm sure he'd have been fine with a season in the Swiss league or something if it meant he could get out of that contract. He rode the pine in the NHL as it was.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

T-Bone posted:

I haven't watched any of his play in the KHL. Has he gotten slow?

I wouldn't mind seeing a lil Malkin & Kovy Russian special hot soss

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
My guess is Kovalchuk only gets a 1 or 2 year deal at most, maybe in the neighborhood of 6m/year.

T-Bone posted:

From what I've heard, he really only wants to play in the New York area or Florida, which sort of limits the potential suitors to Rangers/Islanders/Panthers/Lightning, and the Devils themselves of course. I don't know how flexible that is though.

Assuming he'd be willing to play in Boston though I'd be ok with Sweeney giving up some youngish talent for him, especially if it's guys we're going to have trouble retaining anyway. Something like Spooner or Colin Miller and a middling prospect (Zboril?) and/or picks.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If Kovalchuk had tried this 3 years ago they may very well have told him he's stuck with it, but I guess 4 years is good enough for them.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

ThinkTank posted:

I get that distinction, but what I don't get is the difference it makes to garaunteed contracts? If a team gives its okay players can walk away from guaranteed contracts with a decade ore more to run on them now? if Kovalchuk had stayed retired, that's fine because the Devils got slapped with a recapture penalty. However, he's coming back but suddenly his previous contract doesn't apply anymore? How long does a player have to be 'retired' to rip up an old contract? Four years? Less? I just don't understand why he's not required to honour the final 8 years of his contract, and why the NHLPA is okay with all this.

I get that this is likely a unique case, but what a bad precedent to set considering a bunch of teams are probably going to point at it when they're looking to get out of their own back diving deals.

I don't exactly have the best memory, but here's the way I remember it. Kovalchuk really wanted to go home and play in Russia, but the KHL has a deal to respect the NHL's contracts so he couldn't just bail. He could retire from the NHL, but then the Devils would be hit by serious recapture penalties so they really didn't want to agree to it. The team and Kovalchuk appealed to the league and as a special case they agreed to let both parties tear up the contract, with no penalties, as long as Kovalchuk wasn't ever going to come back to the NHL. I'm also remembering something about every team having to agree should he ever want to come back for any reason. This really seems like the league talking tough, but being complete pushovers when the situation actually arises.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I am utterly baffled the Capitals managed to turn 3-1 into 3-3 given how bad they were getting beat those first four games.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

I don't exactly have the best memory, but here's the way I remember it. Kovalchuk really wanted to go home and play in Russia, but the KHL has a deal to respect the NHL's contracts so he couldn't just bail. He could retire from the NHL, but then the Devils would be hit by serious recapture penalties so they really didn't want to agree to it. The team and Kovalchuk appealed to the league and as a special case they agreed to let both parties tear up the contract, with no penalties, as long as Kovalchuk wasn't ever going to come back to the NHL. I'm also remembering something about every team having to agree should he ever want to come back for any reason. This really seems like the league talking tough, but being complete pushovers when the situation actually arises.

Yeah, I'm not questioning his departure. He retired with a decade or so left on his deal and the league applied the appropriate recapture penalty to the Devils that they pay to this day. That was entirely within his rights to do.

What I don't understand is why it's just agreed that he can now sign a brand new contract upon his return. It just feels like the league okayed it without any debate whatsoever. Surely unretiring now means that his old contract comes back into effect? It's not like there are just the back diving years reamaining either. He's owed $10M next season and there are 8 years left.

It feels to me like Kovalchuk wants to make more than the $21M he was owed over the next three years so will sign a 4 year deal at say $7.5M and make a bunch of extra money for no reason.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 9, 2017

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Who was it that Shero signed over Jagr again, was it like Tyler Kennedy or something

e: haha yes

quote:

While Jagr bristled about the icy reception he’ll likely get tonight, he discussed more openly how his failed negotiations with the Penguins went this summer. If there are any Pens fans upset that Jagr spurned Pittsburgh for Philadelphia, they’ll be happy to know that it’s apparently all Tyler Kennedy’s fault. Dave Isaac of Philly Sports Daily has the details.

“When the GM tells you we have to sign [Tyler] Kennedy first and Kennedy is playing the third or fourth line … Just go and look for [the] GM a month before I was a free agent, and it’s going to tell you a lot. It’ll tell you if they wanted me or not.”

oh wait that's our GM :stare:

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

he was a generational skater (maybe the best pure stride on forward this side of Pavel Bure) so he's not slow by any means, but he's not like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzWQ7KOE3A4 fast anymore

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 9, 2017

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

He had a really good year last year, easily his best since he left.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
the contract, as far as the nhl, devils, and kovy are concerned, is terminated. why would it suddenly be in effect again if he returns?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Nobody's giving him 7.5 for 4 years are you crazy

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

A Typical Goon posted:

Nobody's giving him 7.5 for 4 years are you crazy

Maybe 3? He was second in scoring in Russia last year and has a track record of being an effective NHL scorer. Radulov came back on a 1 year $5.75M deal and McKenzie said his minimum ask is now 4 or 5 years "well north of $6M" as a UFA. With the cap going up, I don't see how $7M+ for Kovie is out of the question.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 9, 2017

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

T-Bone posted:

A second and as many as you want of luke schenn, kevin connauton, teemu pulkkinen, i dunno josh jooris. fatally flawed role players that are still nhlers. I would already assume they're out of the running though, some other team can make a blackhawks style trade to throw prospects they don't need at the devils though. The oilers?

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah, I'm not questioning his departure. He retired with a decade or so left on his deal and the league applied the appropriate recapture penalty to the Devils that they pay to this day. That was entirely within his rights to do.

What I don't understand is why it's just agreed that he can now sign a brand new contract upon his return. It just feels like the league okayed it without any debate whatsoever. Surely unretiring now means that his old contract comes back into effect? It's not like there are just the back diving years reamaining either. He's owed $10M next season and there are 8 years left.

It feels to me like Kovalchuk wants to make more than the $21M he was owed over the next three years so will sign a 4 year deal at say $7.5M and make a bunch of extra money for no reason.

Well, I don't think we're saying the same things. Again, my memory, but I didn't think he retired in the normal sense. His contract was completely voided. Nullified by the league. And I thought part of that is that the devils don't actually pay any recapture penalties on it. My recollection is this was considered a favour to him since he reeeaaaalllly wanted to play in Russia but there was no other way it was going to happen.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I would think the Islanders would be all over it. Dallas, Edmonton, Florida, maybe Toronto. Montreal if they have the cap room.

Maybe San Jose, his relationship with DeBoer was good. That would be fun to see them with Thornton/Marleau/Kovy taking one more run at it.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I think the NHL wants Kovalchuk back because he's a Russian superstar, and in general it is best for the league to have the best talent there is. It probably also helps to bring Russians over when their choice is coming to the NHL or playing in the Olympics, because it gives them a little bit more leverage when they're trying to push the WC over the Olympics. Small things, but Kovy coming back can only be good for the NHL.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
And while Lou had a "never trade with the Rangers" philosophy Shero might be willing to break it given the team's respective outlooks right now, but it feels like they'd be better off chasing Shattenkirk.

e: Bob McKenzie ✔ @TSNBobMcKenzie
So in answer to many questions, no, 2017 draft picks cannot be in play as part of any Kovalchuk trade and expansion draft total non-factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Gotta think a lot of it is going to depend on if Kovalchuk is really only willing to play in the greater NYC area or Florida.

• Locked thread