Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

What the hell, America?! Weird af.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

simultaneous_collapse_of_labor_and_the_willful_shredding_of_the_social_safety_net.jpg

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
better vote for the republicans some more

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Kurtofan posted:

better vote for the republicans some more

Better blame the victims for the collapse of the late 20th century social order

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Ras Het posted:

Better blame the victims for the collapse of the late 20th century social order

thanks I will

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

vyelkin posted:

One of those areas is Calais, which houses a huge refugee camp for people who were denied entry into Britain. Periodically someone sets the camp on fire.

Calais was the last English territory on the European mainland, clearly this is is due to latent English influence

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I hear it's because American doctors immediately prescribe heroin when you stub your toe, bump into the table, etc. Not saying it's not an effective way to treat your patients, but it's having some harmful side effects.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

GoutPatrol posted:

There is a picture on the Hesburger wiki page that basically looks like a Big Mac. Hesburger seems like a cool chain and one day I hope to visit Lativa or Finland and eat it.

Oh wow, I had no idea Hesburger was Finnish, I know three of their restaurants and they're all in Hamburg, so I thought it was a local chain.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Kainser posted:

Calais was the last English territory on the European mainland, clearly this is is due to latent English influence

I hear they whisper that Gibraltar is the new Calais, only warmer and more important and better and also without the stink of France :colbert:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kainser posted:

There's still a tiny bit that's joint administered.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Guavanaut posted:

There's still a tiny bit that's joint administered.

Which is because Britain is a special snowflake and doesn't want to process refugees in Britain like every other country.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

TinTower posted:

Which is because Britain is a special snowflake and doesn't want to process let in refugees into Britain like every other country.

UK does process refugees in Britain, just only those who come in legally from outside the EU (i.e. by plane mostly).

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

This is the only fast food map I need

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Snowy posted:

This is the only fast food map I need

For Americans wondering, this is dietary McDonalds with a bit of weird things and longer descriptions for ecological friendliness of the dishes than for the dishes themselves.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Satanism Interest by US State.

Top 5 searchers of Satanism: Oklahoma 100. Arkansas 88. New Mexico 86. West Virginia 85. Wyoming 79.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

This is universal then, huh? The fries are tolerable at best, outright bad compared to anything cooked.

Sometimes people get fries from the McDonald's at Sata-Shell and boiga + mayo from Hesburger across the road.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

D.N. Nation posted:

simultaneous_collapse_of_labor_and_the_willful_shredding_of_the_social_safety_net.jpg

Neither of those are why doctors were prescribing stuff like oxycontin a ton which got people hooked on opiates, and then after that was finally cracked down on people were still addicted and switched to outright illegal drugs with much higher risks.

Hispanics and non-whites in general were all far more affected by "labor collapsing" and a worse social safety net, but it was only white non-hispanics that had a massive mortality jump. White non-hispanics were also the ones the doctors were willing to prescribe a ton of dangerous painkillers for (because white non-hispanics were first more likely to have insurance of some sort to pay for it, and secondly there is persistent racist beliefs that minorities don't feel pain as much, especially black people, and also that minorities were "faking" just to get high. Meanwhile they'd happily dump tons of scrips on a generic white person because they're "trustworthy").

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

fishmech posted:

Neither of those are why doctors were prescribing stuff like oxycontin a ton which got people hooked on opiates, and then after that was finally cracked down on people were still addicted and switched to outright illegal drugs with much higher risks.

Hispanics and non-whites in general were all far more affected by "labor collapsing" and a worse social safety net, but it was only white non-hispanics that had a massive mortality jump. White non-hispanics were also the ones the doctors were willing to prescribe a ton of dangerous painkillers for (because white non-hispanics were first more likely to have insurance of some sort to pay for it, and secondly there is persistent racist beliefs that minorities don't feel pain as much, especially black people, and also that minorities were "faking" just to get high. Meanwhile they'd happily dump tons of scrips on a generic white person because they're "trustworthy").

Good points, all. Add "_and_racism" to my fake file name.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
I know a girl in the middle of suburbian hell who was given oxy after she had complications during her pregnancy. She then sprained her elbow at a later date and they gave her another oxy prescription.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, it's not just opioids though, it's also alcohol. There have been lots of stories of unemployed rust belters essentially committing suicide by booze and, of course, mixing alcohol with opioids (as many do) is pretty much a death sentence if you do it too long. There's also meth, cigarettes, and the horrible fat/sugar slurry known as "comfort food," all of which destroy people's hearts.

There's two patterns: people who define themselves by their poo poo jobs, work long hours until they destroy their health, lose their jobs, and fall into substance abuse because they're​ in pain and don't know what to do with themselves and people who never get decent work in the first place, slide into the precariate, maybe have a couple kids they can't take care of, live on the margins because of substance abuse or untreated mental illness, and basically just give up.

The US has a disease called meritocracy that says that losers deserve to lose and it kills millions of people every year.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The rust belt has been hosed like this for nearing on 50 years depending on which part you're looking at, and no shorter than 30 years for the rest. The only thing that's really changed for them is the push for drugs like oxycontin to be overprescribed (and prescribed in ways known to severely increase risk of addiction) and the corresponding rise in use of street opiates as wither doctors finally start cutting back (but without any sort of addiction treatment) or when the dependency can't be satisfied by the prescriptions alone.

As you can see in the graphs from earlier, the mortality rate only rose slightly from 1990 to about 1997 or so, and then jumps the gently caress up after that point, especially after 2000. You know when OxyContin with it's specially dangerous formulation of oxycodone (due to the way it's prescribed) hits the market? 1996, and it starts getting really big a few years after.

There's a good article on how OxyContin got so big, and why it caused such problems, here: http://www.latimes.com/projects/oxycontin-part1/

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

It's also the generational compounding of poverty. The rust belt economy started really collapsing during the 70s stagflation period, but the older generation still had some savings and home equity and pensions left over from the good times. Since then, people's savings have been eaten up by healthcare costs, their equity was destroyed when rust belt property values collapsed, and pensions have been slashed across the whole economy.

So you see the serious drops in living standards hitting about 20 years after the initial collapse and getting exacerbated in the subsequent generations as their kids grow up in lovely jobless towns where homeownership and healthcare have become debt traps and people have no provisions for retirement.

For a great many people, long term unemployment or early retirement might as well be death sentences, so they work themselves to the bone and use booze and drugs to keep going until they just give out.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Duckbag posted:

It's also the generational compounding of poverty. The rust belt economy started really collapsing during the 70s stagflation period, but the older generation still had some savings and home equity and pensions left over from the good times. Since then, people's savings have been eaten up by healthcare costs, their equity was destroyed when rust belt property values collapsed, and pensions have been slashed across the whole economy.

So you see the serious drops in living standards hitting about 20 years after the initial collapse and getting exacerbated in the subsequent generations as their kids grow up in lovely jobless towns where homeownership and healthcare have become debt traps and people have no provisions for retirement.

For a great many people, long term unemployment or early retirement might as well be death sentences, so they work themselves to the bone and use booze and drugs to keep going until they just give out.

But this all doesn't explain why the rate has increased so much for all non-hispanic whites, regardless of where they live even, yet over the same time periods mortality rates for black, hispanic, asian, etc groups have all held about the same or even decreased. Despite the fact that such groups tended to be hosed over by all these economic factors harder and sooner (for example the long time racist manager method where black people get hired last and fired first, even against less qualified whites).

What we see that's actually different is that doctors were willing to dump huge amounts of dangerous drugs onto whites, particularly non-hispanic, and then basically say "not our problem" when it came time to handle the addictions that developed from dangerous prescribing practices.

Check out these:
http://www.acsh.org/news/2017/02/01/death-rates-young-white-americans-increased-1999-2014-10812

(white dots indicate male, red dots indicate female)

The only group besides whites showing a consistent increase in these years were native americans, who never had much in the way of "good economic situation" to start with.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fishmech posted:

What we see that's actually different is that doctors were willing to dump huge amounts of dangerous drugs onto whites, particularly non-hispanic, and then basically say "not our problem" when it came time to handle the addictions that developed from dangerous prescribing practices.

White privilege is the doctor assuming you are a responsible adult.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Opioids are definitely part of the problem, but I think you're forgetting how much farther the white working class had to fall. The post-war boom wasn't shared equally by any metric, as you just pointed out, so in a way what we're seeing is just the effect of a previously secure demographic falling into the precarious paycheck-to-paycheck existence where a great many poor minorities had been all along.

In some ways the white underclass is even worse off because they tend to live in communities that aren't used to this kind of desperation, but are used to demonizing the "lazy poor" and welfare cheats. This can create a crippling crisis of self image and generalized anger that tears families apart and leads to stupid and self destructive behavior like oxy abuse, credit card addiction, or voting for Trump.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

TinTower posted:

Which is because Britain is a special snowflake and doesn't want to process refugees in Britain like every other country.

Australia would like a word.

Seriously just google Australia refugees and start reading the articles if you want to be really, really depressed.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

HookShot posted:

Australia would like a word.

Seriously just google Australia refugees and start reading the articles if you want to be really, really depressed.

You know how English people get worse the further south you go? Australia is just the most southern part of England.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I work at a pharmacy in Kentucky. The amount of loving oxycodone these fuckers inhale would kill any one of you dead if you tried it. I worry one of them will cut themselves in the store and I'll get high from smelling their blood.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

fishmech posted:

Wait what? People actually believe that about black people... :wtc:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Jack2142 posted:

They believe it about fish too

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Jack2142 posted:

People are morons. I don't know how common it is these days, but it was certainly something a lot of black writers in the 20th century felt they had to address.

It's a little more complicated than just plain old racism/dehumanization though. That's there, certainly, as well as the classic "it's the only way they'll learn" argument for abuse, but it also goes back to old romantic notions of "sensibility."

Basically there was an idea that that people who were gentle, cultured, sensitive and "well-bred" felt things more deeply than others, including physical pain. This was associated with the "fairer sex" as well as those with a "sanguine" temperament (which is why sickly, flushed, fainting women on divans somehow became a sex symbol).

Sensibility was the domain of white aristocrats who sat around all day being romantic, and the farther you got from the ideal, the less likely you were to have your physical or emotional pain acknowledged because obviously someone with true sensibility would feel it a thousand times more. This is also why black women (and anyone else who wasn't a "lady") tended to get exempted from that fairer sex stuff and instead worked like mules.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
GDP of Benelux = combined GDP of the countries in green

A German ethnic map of Yugoslavia overlaid on the map of liberated territories / territories in open rebellion in 1941

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Here in the Netherlands my mom broke her back once, was hospitalized and given morphine, but was still in a lot of pain when it was time for her to recuperate at home. Even under these circumstances the doctors hesitated somewhat to give her oxycodon. At the pharmacy they'd only give you enough for a short period, keep it locked, and check things thoroughly to make sure you aren't some crazy addict. Although a lot of this is Calvinistic "pain is natural" that is ingrained in Dutch culture I can't help but feel it's better than the US alternative. I was shocked, for example, that it's apparently considered normal (correct me if I'm wrong) in the US to get vicodin after your wisdom teeth are removed. All I got was a very high dosis of ibuprofen, which worked well enough.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Ekster posted:

Here in the Netherlands my mom broke her back once, was hospitalized and given morphine, but was still in a lot of pain when it was time for her to recuperate at home. Even under these circumstances the doctors hesitated somewhat to give her oxycodon. At the pharmacy they'd only give you enough for a short period, keep it locked, and check things thoroughly to make sure you aren't some crazy addict. Although a lot of this is Calvinistic "pain is natural" that is ingrained in Dutch culture I can't help but feel it's better than the US alternative. I was shocked, for example, that it's apparently considered normal (correct me if I'm wrong) in the US to get vicodin after your wisdom teeth are removed. All I got was a very high dosis of ibuprofen, which worked well enough.

In the late 90's I had foot surgery here in the US and afterwards the doctor prescribed like a 3 day or 1 week or whatever supply of oxycodone with the explicit warning to me that I should take as little as possible, so at least back in 1999 it was #notalldoctors

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Ekster posted:

Confirmed, you can get vicodin for wisdom teeth removal with minimal oversight.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ekster posted:

That's funny, because my wife caught a nasty cold while we were in Amsterdam and we went into a pharmacy looking for cough syrup. I was reading all the boxes hoping to find something that looked like "dextromethorphan" with no luck, so we went and asked the pharmacist. She handed us a box and said "this is a good cough syrup but it will make you sleepy because it has a little bit of codeine". That blew our little American minds, how casual she was about it. You can't get jack poo poo with codeine in it without a prescription here.

edit: That said I'm glad I can get Vicodin after dental procedures here because I react really badly to dental anesthesia (it triggers intense throbbing waves of pain as it wears off) and I would have to take 3 days off of work after a filling if I couldn't get it. I'm responsible and always return the leftovers to the pharmacy once the pain has passed, so it sucks that they interrogate me like a drug addict every time nevertheless.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
sounds like american doctors are bad

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

cis autodrag posted:

That's funny, because my wife caught a nasty cold while we were in Amsterdam and we went into a pharmacy looking for cough syrup. I was reading all the boxes hoping to find something that looked like "dextromethorphan" with no luck, so we went and asked the pharmacist. She handed us a box and said "this is a good cough syrup but it will make you sleepy because it has a little bit of codeine". That blew our little American minds, how casual she was about it. You can't get jack poo poo with codeine in it without a prescription here.

I just looked it up and it seems that you're right. It's only limited to cough syrups, strangely enough. If you want paracetamol + codeine you do need a prescription.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Ekster posted:

I was shocked, for example, that it's apparently considered normal (correct me if I'm wrong) in the US to get vicodin after your wisdom teeth are removed.
I actually didn't realize that wasn't normal elsewhere. I got it after mine were extracted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

cis autodrag posted:

I would assume that DXM has more abuse potential than codeine, at least codeine-paracetamol in combination.