Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verymoldy
May 23, 2004

What the hell is the impetus behind not wearing even the most basic protection when doing an inherently dangerous activity? Like, plenty of motorcyclists die even when they wear helmets.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHrDB3wAy8I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

verymoldy posted:

What the hell is the impetus behind not wearing even the most basic protection when doing an inherently dangerous activity? Like, plenty of motorcyclists die even when they wear helmets.

"It makes you a pussy!" for people like that.

"I like the wind on my face!" for people who like to ride poo poo like Harley's.

Both are loving stupid.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Everyone I know who works at the hospital tells me the same thing: idiots who refuse to wear safety gear due to macho reasons save countless lives through organ donation. These people are heroes who decide to live short exciting lives only to give back.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

iospace posted:

"I like the wind on my face!" for people who like to ride poo poo like Harley's.

Both are loving stupid.

If you're going faster than 20mph and not wearing goggles or a full face helmet, your vision is impaired and you're a danger to yourself and everyone else.
Windshields don't count.

The joke is always that the Harley riders wear $1000 of leather with no helmet, and the sport bike dudes wear a $1000 racing helmet with a t-shirt and shorts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_TxFGdMbXI terrible music warning
Here's a guy robbing a jewelry store that gets beaned by a high level Tae Kwon Do competitor. Guy gets hit hard enough to trigger a seizure, and he's then helped out and put into a recovery position by the guy who just kicked his lights out.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSgYQl6GZbU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

A very Scottish way of dealing with hate speech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwLaDzKFiBY :scotland:

I thought he was going to behead him with a claymore or something

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ElGroucho posted:

I thought he was going to behead him with a claymore or something

I was expecting to see the guy get covered in batter and deep-fried. :shrug:

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Sunswipe posted:

I was expecting to see the guy get covered in batter and deep-fried. :shrug:

I thought he was going to pour an irn bru on his head

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
I was expecting a headbutt, but I wasn't disappointed, regardless.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

That fish at 1:37 is amazing.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

kanonvandekempen posted:

https://twitter.com/BarristerSecret/status/861487072007397376

EDIT: I just realised his username is @wollygog, excellent. Get hosed racist.

He followed up with this:
https://twitter.com/Wollygogg/status/861335231147765766

'gently caress them muslims, I'm off to my expensive holiday in a muslim country (which is totally real and I can totally afford even though I freaked out over losing £500 earlier).'

Obvious hoax is obvious.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/09/colin-johnson-wollygogg-twitter-hoax-marine-le-pen-bet

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I seriously expected a little boy to break his foot kicking the bigot in the groin.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

verymoldy posted:

iospace posted:

Both are loving stupid.

The reality is that they want to be noticed and the style trumps their own safety. It's why I laugh at a lot of skateboarder videos: most of their injuries could be prevented by wearing a helmet or the correct gear. Instead, they want to fit the fashion of a skater that vanishes once they break a wrist or a leg and are running around literally crying.

It's stupidity at its finest.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

canyoneer posted:

The joke is always that the Harley riders wear $1000 of leather with no helmet, and the sport bike dudes wear a $1000 racing helmet with a t-shirt and shorts.

What about level 95 human female armour?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I14YQtIuFPE

Stoatbringer has a new favorite as of 19:26 on May 9, 2017

Jasque
Jan 13, 2006
Garbage! That hovercraft is a joke of engineering, and that helmet would never protect your brain from lasers!

iospace posted:

Both are loving stupid.

I liked feeling the wind on my face too! So I would lift the visor on my helmet. I agree, these people are just stupid.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Stop trying to discourage these people. The rest of us might need those kidneys some day.

verymoldy
May 23, 2004

Ah so the same reason why Dale died. Got it. If these dudes are so keen on being macho maybe they should just ride their motorcycles naked so we can see their fat throbbing erection and marvel at all that is Man.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Dale died?!

I hope Octavio is taking it okay.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
If she were naked, she wouldn't be a bikini girl. And vice versa.

Also if she gets enough road rash.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Phanatic posted:

Stop trying to discourage these people. The rest of us might need those kidneys some day.

I have not met a single person in the medical profession (and as a guy with severe kidney disease who has received three transplants and is on dialysis presently, I've met a lot) who does not share this attitude about the helmet laws. There's a gallows humor level grim satisfaction in the entire field at the idea of people who don't want to wear helmets while motorcycling.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Choco1980 posted:

I have not met a single person in the medical profession (and as a guy with severe kidney disease who has received three transplants and is on dialysis presently, I've met a lot) who does not share this attitude about the helmet laws. There's a gallows humor level grim satisfaction in the entire field at the idea of people who don't want to wear helmets while motorcycling.

My family has no one in the medical field, and even we call them organ donors.

Of course, you hear that one guy who SWEARS that an EMT told them that if the guy had a helmet on in a bike crash, he'd live but his neck would be snapped.

I have that guy as a regular at work, actually.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Well yeah, you CAN get in worse shape in an accident because of your helmet, but you can have airbags and seatbelts seriously injure you in car crashes too, but you don't see people trying to stop those from being mandatory...

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
CAGERS ARENT FREE MAN

I went to a factory demo test-ride for Indian Motorcycles and one of the other participants was complaining: "You're not gonna make us wear these helmets, are you?" Like your family wouldn't INSTANTLY SUE if you bashed your head in while borrowing a manufacturer-owned demo bike.

Another good reason to wear a helmet: not borrowing janky sweated-in communal lids.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46OmLAcB0hY

gently caress YOU OH poo poo

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Why would someone throw a skateboard at a cartoon character

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

Well yeah, you CAN get in worse shape in an accident because of your helmet, but you can have airbags and seatbelts seriously injure you in car crashes too, but you don't see people trying to stop those from being mandatory...

There was a ton of pushback against mandatory seat belt laws when they were first enacted. "Seat belts kill more people than they save" was a common refrain.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is one of my favorite classics. How old is it now? I feel like these kids must be at least 20 by now.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

There was a ton of pushback against mandatory seat belt laws when they were first enacted. "Seat belts kill more people than they save" was a common refrain.

gently caress, you still have people that say this. They all seem that have the same uncle that was totally in a wreck that would have killed him if he'd been wearing his seatbelt but he wasn't and was ~thrown clear~ with no injuries at all so obviously it's safer not to also what are you a pussy?!

I also knew one person that wouldn't wear one because she insists that if she got killed in a car wreck obviously god had decided it was her time to go so there was no difference between wearing one and not wearing one, it was all god's will.

Scruff McGruff has a new favorite as of 22:56 on May 9, 2017

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Comey got fired. The letter to sack him still was all about Trump

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Bogan King posted:

Comey got fired. The letter to sack him still was all about rich rear end in a top hat

Good. Hope it was worth it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Comey did some poo poo as director, but with the investigation into Trump's business ties and his team's connections to Russia it smells a lot like he's trying to derail any investigations before they can find dirt.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

chitoryu12 posted:

Comey did some poo poo as director, but with the investigation into Trump's business ties and his team's connections to Russia it smells a lot like he's trying to derail any investigations before they can find dirt.

No poo poo. Thats pretty messed up.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Bogan King posted:

Comey got fired. The letter to sack him still was all about Trump

Former Surgeon General Richard Carmona said that when he was in office, guidance from the Bush Administration was to mention the name of President George W. Bush at least 3 times in every speech.

The way that Trump says he is NOT under investigation every time the FBI is mentioned reminds me of that.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Was Comey even part of the team doing the ACTUAL investigations? I mean, that's like firing a mcdonald's manager because an employee was caught jerking it into the pickle tub, and keeping the jerker on the job.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Scruff McGruff posted:

gently caress, you still have people that say this. They all seem that have the same uncle that was totally in a wreck that would have killed him if he'd been wearing his seatbelt but he wasn't and was ~thrown clear~ with no injuries at all so obviously it's safer not to also what are you a pussy?!

See also the guys who don't want to wear safety shoes because they'll cut your toes off.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Choco1980 posted:

Was Comey even part of the team doing the ACTUAL investigations? I mean, that's like firing a mcdonald's manager because an employee was caught jerking it into the pickle tub, and keeping the jerker on the job.

My concern is that he's trying to put someone sympathetic to him in the director's chair and use that to curtail any investigations that could lead to impeachment or prosecution for him or his team.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Donald, Jr. for FBI director

still not as crooked as Hoover

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
It actually looks like he was fired for saying the investigation into Clintons emails was over when they never want it to go away. Still early days yet so we need to wait for the dust to settle but :munch:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bogan King posted:

It actually looks like he was fired for saying the investigation into Clintons emails was over when they never want it to go away. Still early days yet so we need to wait for the dust to settle but :munch:

That's what the official letters released about the recommendation say, but the timing (and Trump's insistence on talking about the investigation into him in his own letter) is impeccable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Note that Trump actually fired the FBI director, as opposed to demanding his resignation.