Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Awesome, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Now we need Renne, so we can round out the "Was a preteen and now we get to see what they're like as teenagers" group with Tita, Millium, and Altina.

(Tio's also in the group, but she showed up in ToCS2, so she'll probably show up here?)

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Is the same Falcom team that wrote Sky also writing Steel? After playing through the 3rd it's apparent to me the writing quality dropped a little in the Steel series.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

theblackw0lf posted:

Is the same team that wrote Sky also writing Steel? After playing through the 3rd it's apparent to me the writing quality dropped a little in the Steel series.

Who knows. People change or leave companies in a time like the 5 year gap between 3rd and ToCS. Game companies have ridiculous turn over.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 9, 2017

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Ao looks pretty bloated, huh.

... I wonder how the Zero translation's going.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 9, 2017

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

keep in mind I imagine lots of the writing credits are people confined to the npc text mines

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I don't think its so much the writing quality going down so much as CS1/2 being hamstrung by being forced to catch up to where Ao ends and spreading itself thin with a way too large cast of characters. Compare to the sky trilogy slowly building up its cast over 3 games and even then some characters dont really become great until 3rd. I've heard Zero/Ao has a much smaller closer knit cast so that probably contributes to it being the most beloved arc by jp onlys.

My money is on CS3 bringing some serious heat now that they are done stalling for time and are actually advancing the timeline again.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

That's actually a pretty remarkable consistency given how many games have come out and the year span.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://pastebin.com/GP66jAdh

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Zaggitz posted:

I don't think its so much the writing quality going down so much as CS1/2 being hamstrung by being forced to catch up to where Ao ends and spreading itself thin with a way too large cast of characters. Compare to the sky trilogy slowly building up its cast over 3 games and even then some characters dont really become great until 3rd. I've heard Zero/Ao has a much smaller closer knit cast so that probably contributes to it being the most beloved arc by jp onlys.

My money is on CS3 bringing some serious heat now that they are done stalling for time and are actually advancing the timeline again.

The problem, of course, is that they are introducing even more characters to the plot in CS3. Even with the game probably doing the sensible thing and removing a bunch of the secondary CS2 characters, as playable at least, we've got what looks like at least three guaranteed major playable characters (Kurt, Juna, Altina) - two of which are completely new.

I'm still not sure how they're planning on covering both the major plot(s), along with continuing relevant personal storylines for all the Class VII members.
-Alisa going back to help run Reinford - possibly investigating the mysterious Fourth Factory (potentially linked to Ouroboros).
-Jusis & Machias taking up responsibilities in their respective factions - I guess you can link this into the overall plot.
-Gaius going back to Nord - Yeah, I don't know. Maybe something to do with that second Sept-terrion that's supposed to be in Erebonia?
-Emma... I honestly don't remember what Emma was doing after the CS2 - Anyways, possibly something related to the Azure Abyss.
-Laura was going off to train with her father - Could go anywhere, but possibly something related to Stahlritter and their leader.
-Millium rejoining the Ironbloods. Toss her in with the main plot then.
-Fie going off to investigate what Zephyr was doing. Here we actually have something interesting. Aside from the obvious plot involving their former leader, CS3 has also already confirmed Randy Orlando as being part of the Thors subbranch. If he's appearing, his cousin very well may make an appearance as well, and they kind of represent the extremes Fie was between during CS1 & 2. Both were members of the Red Constellation, with Shirley Orlando being basically a mirror to Fie - about the same age, and the daughter of the Red Constellation's former leader. Randy and Shirley basically took completely opposite paths - Randy completely walking away from the Jaeger life, and Shirley throwing herself ever deeper into the violence of being one.Crossbell arc spoiler: ...and as of the end of Ao is now an Enforcer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lord Koth posted:

-Emma... I honestly don't remember what Emma was doing after the CS2 - Anyways, possibly something related to the Azure Abyss.

She was basically going off to deal with robot-and-witch poo poo which means she has the absolute easiest intro back into the game, especially since she's the designated teleport bot now.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

On the topic of LP's, dont let the fact that some already exist chase you away from doing one yourself if you are insane enough. Especially if you plan to commentate the game a bit, I absolutely adored Cake Attack's 1 lp thats just full of... Cake Attack, are you a he or a she?... proving ... loves the game to death. I have no doubt Really Pants loves it too, but I'm a huge fan of LPers adding their own style when they LP, makes it alot more enjoyable for me. Plus theres never enough bad jokes in a game.

I finally got my technical issues sorted out so I'm playing 1 hour a day of FC to try to get my shoulders to survive. And reading Cake Attack's LP again while I do so because I like reading LPs while I replay games.

Man I'm so excited. I hope the Sara info wasnt just that she knows Agate.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I for one can't wait to play this 200 hour game

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Terper posted:

I for one can't wait to play this 200 hour game

I was literally about to make that joke. I'm not necessarily going to say the longer a game is the better, but I see no way that more Falcom can ever be a bad thing.

Edit: Anyone have text size for the games handy? I think FC had like 1.5 million lines or something.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

*The final boss is defeated after all optional content is done, at 285 hours of play time*

"Finally... now all our problems are gone forever."

*Suddenly, an enormous UFO with the emblem of Calvard on it appears over the skies of Erebonia and obliterates all of Crossbell and eastern Erebonia*

"drat... i'll see u in Trails of Right-Wing Terrorism"

FIN

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

SORA Count:
Scenes: 1.073.597 / Books & Items: 77.436

SORA II Count:
Scenes: 1.255.486 / Book & Items: 158.360

SORA III Count:
Scenes: 509.939

ZERO count:
Scenes: 1.253.845 / Books & Items: 107.885 / Misc: 12.048

AO count:
Scenes: 1.443.094 / Books & Items: 159.745 / Misc: 18.291

SEN I Count:
Book: 79.215 / Scenea: 1.116.935 / Talk: 174.419 / Misc: 143.307

SEN II Count:
Book: 121.404 / Scenea: 952.225 / Talk: 168.359 / Misc: 173.

TX Count:
Total: 890.481

---

these are from running scripts on the game to count characters. there's a huge discrepancy between what XSeed thinks SC is (3M) and what you get here that no one can explain. the rest match within a reasonable margin of error

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

She was basically going off to deal with robot-and-witch poo poo which means she has the absolute easiest intro back into the game, especially since she's the designated teleport bot now.

Huh, yeah, that'd give her a decent way to appear again. Should probably replay it soon, if I'm forgetting something like that.

I also just realized I completely forgot Elliot, which does a good job of summarizing just how irrelevant he really is at this point. :v: Seriously, he decided to go off and join that music academy. While that's a great goal, there's like nothing other than just the generic "help out the former Class VII members" to tie him back into the plot.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

SEN I Count:
Misc: 143.307

SEN II Count:
Misc: 173.

What the!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lord Koth posted:

Huh, yeah, that'd give her a decent way to appear again. Should probably replay it soon, if I'm forgetting something like that.

I also just realized I completely forgot Elliot, which does a good job of summarizing just how irrelevant he really is at this point. :v: Seriously, he decided to go off and join that music academy. While that's a great goal, there's like nothing other than just the generic "help out the former Class VII members" to tie him back into the plot.

They will forget to put Gaius and Elliot into CS3. It will take 9 months after the English release before anyone notices.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Maybe also some of the enormous cast of characters from cs1/2 dont need to come back outside of as maybe an npc for a cutscene, have you considered that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaggitz posted:

Maybe also some of the enormous cast of characters from cs1/2 dont need to come back outside of as maybe an npc for a cutscene, have you considered that.

Shut your goddamn mouth.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if angelica isn't in cold steel 3 ill burn falcom to the ground

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I can't wait to fight Osborne fused with the Great Power with Rocco, Rixia, Rean and Randy.

Final boss theme.

Terper fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 9, 2017

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Cake Attack posted:

SORA Count:

SORA II Count:

SORA III Count:

ZERO count:

AO count:

SEN I Count:

SEN II Count:

TX Count:

---

these are from running scripts on the game to count characters. there's a huge discrepancy between what XSeed thinks SC is (3M) and what you get here that no one can explain. the rest match within a reasonable margin of error

Thanks. I'd like to see the numbers of other text heavy games like Tears to Tiara 2 to compare, but I doubt we'll get that out of Atlus.

But yeah, thats a lotta words. So to get 200 hours of CS3 we'd basically have to combine the sen counts. Man those are big numbers.

Also you'd be surprised how music can help war efforts, so Elliot could surprise us by surfing a tank into battle while channeling the almighty power of the Falcom Violin to destroy his foes. And I have no doubt whatsoever that Gaius will be in the top 3 most relevant Class 7 characters alongside Emma and Laura.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've seen Macross, there's nothing wrong with marrying music and mecha.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Cake Attack posted:

SORA Count:

SORA II Count:

SORA III Count:

ZERO count:

AO count:

SEN I Count:

SEN II Count:

TX Count:

---

Guessing Sora III is much shorter because of little incidental NPC dialog.

Because the actual playing time is about as long as Sora I.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
"To Mary and Polly's dismay, the chest was empty!"

Why did this make me laugh so hard.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Endorph posted:

if angelica isn't in cold steel 3 ill burn falcom to the ground

Angelica and Duvalie need to have a fight imo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Really Pants posted:

Angelica and Duvalie need to have a fight imo

Basically the only way those two meeting ends is in a violent fight to the death or a date. Possibly both.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Basically the only way those two meeting ends is in a violent fight to the death or a date. Possibly both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBQXldIShyU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I need more Duvalie in my life, period.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
EDIT: whoops

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if cs3 makes duvalie a party member it'll be the best game ever made

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Is the Hermit's Garden supposed to eat all your quartz even on NG+? That makes the carryover option seem kind of pointless.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's apparently a glitch.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

I need more Duvalie in my life, period.

pray for Crossbell friend

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Get Over the Language Barrier

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
So, uh, I just cleared Moon Door 5.

... what the gently caress just happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's probably one of the most surreal things in the series.

I guess it's also an unsolved mystery from the Sky games, so we can add it to the list.