Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006
Pears were loving great live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

JawKnee posted:

no doubt this is old news, but I've only just run across Brad Nowell's son, Jakob's, band, LAW. Shows promise I think. Not on par with Sublime, imo, but not bad.

So they're not on par with a truly awful band? Not really selling it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Inspector_666 posted:

So they're not on par with a truly awful band? Not really selling it.

I don't care to shill to you, friend

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

JawKnee posted:

no doubt this is old news, but I've only just run across Brad Nowell's son, Jakob's, band, LAW. Shows promise I think. Not on par with Sublime, imo, but not bad.

Thanks for pointing this out. Not my speed but I think some friends may dig it.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Inspector_666 posted:

I got tickets to both NYC dates and I am so goddamned hyped for those shows. Especially since them sharing a bill with Touche Amore was like, my fantasy lineup that I thought would never happen.

It was a really good, really fun show. Geoff said he has been sober for 80 days and the whole show sounded super tight. Great setlist too.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I was going to go to the Cleveland show Sunday but couldn't, and Thursday announced more dates including one in Pittsburgh with mewithoutyou. Touché played an off date in Pittsburgh too I went to so it worked out pretty well. Can't wait to see this.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Hot new pop punk band from my town. Looking to tour soon if anybody has connections:

https://www.reverbnation.com/tlv2wo

Found these guys on craigslist, I recommend the hit track Punk Right Now!

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Are there any other bands that play guitars in the style of Drive Like Jehu?

Other than the obvious ones like bands that share members.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNdbJYX93mY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqS5Fo9j7BA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVCMLWtVN5E

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

comingafteryouall posted:

Not that I've ever found :(

Have you listened to Unwound?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEoVXzVtR5s

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

Mollymauk posted:

Pears were loving great live.

Can confirm.

Over the past few weeks I've gotten to see Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, Pears, Masked Intruder, the Descendents, Radkey, and the Suicide Machines all for the first time and it's been a surreal experience.

Admittedly I hadn't heard Pears before that, but I'm really glad I did.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Not that I've ever found :(

Have you listened to Unwound?

I can definitely see how Gang of Four and Fugazi would be recommendations, but I don't think they're quite there.

Portraits of Past were closer, definitely.

Unwound rocks but they're not quite there.

Something about the physicality of Drive Like Jehu's playing and the constant playing around open strings and octaves, hard to explain I guess!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
At the Drive-In satisfies the same urges as DLJ for me but the guitar playing isn't quite as jagged

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I hadn't heard Portraits of Past before. I like.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

At the Drive-In satisfies the same urges as DLJ for me but the guitar playing isn't quite as jagged

I'll agree with this, they definitely approach the guitar duties in the same way DLJ does. But with more melody.

Daughter
Jul 23, 2007

comingafteryouall posted:

You might like Bullet Train to Vegas.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

angrygodofjebus posted:

It was a really good, really fun show. Geoff said he has been sober for 80 days and the whole show sounded super tight. Great setlist too.

Yeah so Thursday are still really good live, and I remember a shitload more of the lyrics to War All The Time than I thought I would.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
A new At the Drive-in album came out today. I only had a chance to listen to the first half, but it seems alright?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Monday_ posted:

A new At the Drive-in album came out today. I only had a chance to listen to the first half, but it seems alright?
It's no Relationship of Command (then again, what is?) but it has a bunch of really great songs.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Rancid have a new album on the way *croaky yeeeeaaaahhh*

It won't be Rancid 2000 part 2 but I don't think anything ever could be.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Monday_ posted:

It sounds like what you would expect them to sound like 17 years later. I'm seeing some critical thrashings but I found it quite enjoyable. Certainly less of a dud than the Refused comeback, though they put on a better live show as middle aged dudes than ATDI did.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Monday_ posted:

Seeing them on Friday. I'm... excited.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I don't if this thread fits or the hip hop one but, does anyone listen to Ho99o9? They just put out their full album, United States of Horror, and I can't get enough of it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

We Know Catheters posted:

I don't if this thread fits or the hip hop one but, does anyone listen to Ho99o9? They just put out their full album, United States of Horror, and I can't get enough of it.
I listened to it once and it sounds like Death Grips but not as catchy I guess? Also I saw that they played a Gathering of the Juggalos, so I'm conflicted about supporting them if they're in any way associated with that scene.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

It sounds like what you would expect them to sound like 17 years later. I'm seeing some critical thrashings but I found it quite enjoyable. Certainly less of a dud than the Refused comeback, though they put on a better live show as middle aged dudes than ATDI did.

I just listened to it yesterday and it was actually pretty good. Nothing really stuck in my head as amazing, but it's certainly not a total dud. Torentially Cutshaw actually sounds like it could be from one of the pre-breakup albums, almost.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I'm seeing Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies tonight. Chris from The Living End is playing with them. That's all. 😉

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
So PWR BTTM has had quite a month

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

We Know Catheters posted:

I'm seeing Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies tonight. Chris from The Living End is playing with them. That's all. 😉

Saw them at the Depot a few years back.

It was then I belatedly realized I'm not super into Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, or the genre of technically proficient but soulless punk covers in general.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

So PWR BTTM has had quite a month

I don't think I've ever seen a meltdown like this in music. This is a decent summary of what's happened, along with a series of articles on Pitchfork. PWR BTTM were pretty close to hitting the big time. Now the band is almost surely breaking up, they lost their record deal and their management, their openers pulled out of what was going to be a big tour, and both of their albums are about to be pulled from streaming services.

Do they deserve it? Certainly, because Ben is probably a serial sexual assaulter, and even Liv was complicit in allowing Ben's actions to continue. Yet it's still incredibly disappointing because of the positive, proud message that PWR BTTM presented.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Wow, I dug into that little rabbit hole and found out the same kinda thing happened to Front Porch Step...

drat I learned to play all his songs in guitar this year, always wondered why he stopped touring.

The PWR BTTM thing is awful but the touring band member leaving is pretty damning. If someone IS in a position to make money if they keep quiet and still they push forward that indicates to me a high likelihood of being real.

I guess it's important to remember that just because someone weighs like 115 lbs and identifies as queer and wears make-up doesn't mean they probably weren't raised in the same garbage wasteland of misogyny we all were.

A shame

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Godzilla07 posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a meltdown like this in music. This is a decent summary of what's happened, along with a series of articles on Pitchfork. PWR BTTM were pretty close to hitting the big time. Now the band is almost surely breaking up, they lost their record deal and their management, their openers pulled out of what was going to be a big tour, and both of their albums are about to be pulled from streaming services.

Do they deserve it? Certainly, because Ben is probably a serial sexual assaulter, and even Liv was complicit in allowing Ben's actions to continue. Yet it's still incredibly disappointing because of the positive, proud message that PWR BTTM presented.

And the timing of it is wild. Allegations come out right after the album stream goes up, and the label drops them on release day. I still haven't even listened to it but I heard it was awesome. And like you said, it's just monstrously disappointing. If I were a queer kid looking for a great band that represents me I'm sure it would be devastating.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Hard to believe tumblr in band form was actually made up of lovely people.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Wow, I dug into that little rabbit hole and found out the same kinda thing happened to Front Porch Step...

Ben might be a lovely rapist but FPS dude is a lovely child rapist who's trying to make a comeback with Jesus Music

E: Just found this article, it's majorly hosed up that FPS is having a comeback
https://medium.com/@HoodieAllen/a-promising-band-has-the-worst-album-release-day-ever-7aa5f6bcdde0

deadwing fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 14, 2017

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I feel like the scene is littered with people who proclaim positivity and then get outed for doing the opposite. One of the local promoters/musicians in my area was all about the idea of safe spaces and lgbtq rights and eventually admitted to sexual assault with three people. They were one of the people who always had terrible poo poo to say about Dads, who in themselves seemed to be about the same thing. And then there were bands who talked about how that promoter was bad and not what they aspired to be only having members leave and have another party saying how those members were the really lovely people.

Just seems like its an endless circle of bullshit in the community and everyone acting holier than thou.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

The owner/booker of a now defunct Christian punk venue in my hometown was a well known creep, specifically towards preteen girls. Eventually got arrested for flashing people. Then violated his parole by getting a job working with kids. Real classy dude.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Christian punk lol

I love America.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Christian punk lol

I love America.

I have seen christian screamo. Let me tell you, I very much wish I had not seen christian screamo.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Phlegmish posted:

Christian punk lol

I love America.

it's not an exclusively american concept so don't get too excited

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Uhhhh old Emery and Underoath owns so please refrain from disparaging all Christian screaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm more baffled by Christian Death Metal. Seems like two concepts that should be anathema to each other. At least with punk I've known people who interpret Christ as a true rebel and tie that to punk.