Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Scorpio working or not will come down to the exclusive games. All the power will mean jack poo poo if there is nothing worthwhile to play on it. No one outside of hardcore Xbox fans gives a poo poo about the same old Forza, Halo and Gears of War. The quality of those games has gone way down (well ok, maybe not Forza, but a driving simulator is sort of different) as they just do the same things over and over and over again with the original creators long gone. I say this as someone who loved each of those franchises at a time and owned an Xbox/360/Xbone. I have zero plans to purchase a Scorpio. I'm quite happy sticking with my Nintendo/Sony combo.

People like to discuss how important it is for Nintendo to develop new IPs but Microsoft Games is going to be dead soon if they do not have anything new and good in the pipeline to excite people. The company isn't the same "write a blank check just because" anymore.

Here's the difference. Nintendo tries new ips here and there and they're way better received than anything Microsoft does.

Nintendo's success rate with their old ips are a lot more hit than miss, while Microsoft is doing more miss than hit.

In the end, you can still make something unique but as long as you have a hard time convincing people it is good enough to buy your console, your sales are just gonna suffer.

We can all agree that Botw was so good that it basically got people to buy switches based on that alone (or wiius).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Day 8 of checking my 7 bookmarked retail websites for Switch stock to no avail. I must stay strong

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Gorgolflox posted:

The Xbox is doomed is the new Nintendo is doomed

Nintendoomed is never going away. Every news piece about it has people spinning it to how it shows the Switch will fail and Nintendo is going third party ANY DAY NOW. It's been a staple of video game chats and boards since the SNES was getting ready for release

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gorgolflox posted:

Oh no the Switch is failing so bad it's pulling in other consoles into its fail-spiral?!

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Patter Song posted:

The XBone has had a rough go of it, for sure, but it's worth remembering that it still moved twice as many units as the Wii U so far (26 million XBones out there as of Jan 1st) with the potential to end up comfortably in the 40-50 million unit range. It's a massive contraction from the 360, but there's no rule that being in 2nd means you're losing money.

Also, Microsoft blew literally billions of dollars on the original XBox as a bottomless money void. If Microsoft wants to prop up a division, it knows how to do it.

Microsoft had to do massive amounts of damage control so the only part that made any money these last three years were Android royalties to prop up the horrible performance of the Xbox division.

They've lost gobs of money with every console and no amount of Live subscribers can counteract that.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Patter Song posted:

The XBone has had a rough go of it, for sure, but it's worth remembering that it still moved twice as many units as the Wii U so far (26 million XBones out there as of Jan 1st) with the potential to end up comfortably in the 40-50 million unit range. It's a massive contraction from the 360, but there's no rule that being in 2nd means you're losing money.

Also, Microsoft blew literally billions of dollars on the original XBox as a bottomless money void. If Microsoft wants to prop up a division, it knows how to do it.

microsofts approach to consoles means that they have to be in 1st or they lose money.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So sad, his shitposting was iconic.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

s.i.r.e. posted:

So sad, his shitposting was iconic.

Taint reaped for the last time

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You know he probably just rereged under a different name. After all, that's what I did.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

parallelodad posted:

You know he probably just rereged under a different name. After all, that's what I did.

Yeah but there goes the motto, he was the Dick Dastardly of Games.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Nintendoomed is never going away. Every news piece about it has people spinning it to how it shows the Switch will fail and Nintendo is going third party ANY DAY NOW. It's been a staple of video game chats and boards since the NES was getting ready for release

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

parallelodad posted:

*brushes face and moves back hair*
T-Taint Reaper?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Gorgolflox posted:

The Xbox isn't actually doomed because even if it loses $20,000,000,000 that won't matter because Silicon Valley math is completely different from sane person math.

"Consider it an investment in branding our diversified global-personal interactive brand engagement with user-focused connective brand synergy."

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I was thinking before I actually got a Switch that I would go all physical with this one, or as much as possible, but the combination of seeing the teeny tiny cartridges in my four year old son's hands and Nintendo finally tying digital purchases to your account instead of your hardware has swung me the other way.

Unrelated, it's a minor annoyance how the system and most games use the A button for select/confirm but some games use B, e.g. Blaster Master Zero.

Also I know the layout has been Nintendo's standard since the SNES but it fucks with ten years of Xbox 360 controller muscle memory.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 9, 2017

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

that ivy guy posted:

Day 8 of checking my 7 bookmarked retail websites for Switch stock to no avail. I must stay strong

If you aren't set on NIB I scored my Switch used off of Facebook Marketplace. A couple bought it at launch to play BotW, finished it, decided to sell the Switch. I got it even with the original packaging as well as the physical copy of BotW for $320 :coal:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You can reverse that I. blaster Master but I do t know why they even had B as confirm and A as reverse in the first place. Did they think this was PlayStation land where X means yes and O means no?

Can someone explain that by the way? I swear in the 90s PSX had confirm on O and cancel on X, with those buttons in the same place as the SNES A and B. Then all of a sudden at some point every game flipped it so X was confirm and O was cancel.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 9, 2017

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

parallelodad posted:

Infinitum posted:

*brushes face and moves back hair*
T-Taint Reaper?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDYBL70eReo

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

that ivy guy posted:

just go to a store

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Nobody is willing to bite on NBA yet? I know one of you bought it. Tell us.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

HyperPuma posted:

just go to a store

his mom is at work and can't drive him

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

parallelodad posted:

Can someone explain that by the way? I swear in the 90s PSX had confirm on O and cancel on X, with those buttons in the same place as the SNES A and B. Then all of a sudden at some point every game flipped it so X was confirm and O was cancel.

I mean it's still O confirm and X cancel in Japan, they just decided to change it in the west... I think either right at or after the time Metal Gear Solid was coming out?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Beastie posted:

Nobody is willing to bite on NBA yet? I know one of you bought it. Tell us.

Destructoid did a review on it

quote:

Okay, I know what you're thinking. "Is this like NBA Jam?" Sort of! Though it definitely takes more inspiration from the NBA Street series. It's a two-on-two game featuring real stars with exaggerated proportions and some sort of whacky moves. There's a turbo button, you can shove people, alley-oop, perform major dunks, get five points in one shot...you get the idea.

Don't go into NBA Playgrounds expecting it to play just like those older games that paved the way. It has its own quirks and mechanics to get used to and those who do not adapt will leave frustrated. For example, I like to push in NBA Jam. Like, a lot. It's my favorite. In Playgrounds, a player can generally push once per defensive possession, because it drains the stamina bar instantly. In fact, if said player recently performed some big dunk, they may not be able to push for some time!

I'm probably gonna hold off for a sale, but it's nice to know it's there.

If someone makes a straight up pure NBA Jam though, that's an instant buy

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Imagined posted:

Is there even anybody left at Rare who worked on the games we're all nostalgic about?

To be honest at this point they sound like a classic rock band whose sole original member is the drummer who joined on the third album. Kind of like Bioware.

So, Deep Purple?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
This is how my son plays Switch.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 9, 2017

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Buy Valve. Take Steam, rename it Meam. Print money.

Microsoft hire me right now.

No, Apple buy valve/steam, and Nintendo. Then make steam games work on the switch! :getin:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Valve should just sell Steamlink as a Switch app.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Stux posted:

microsofts approach to consoles means that they have to be in 1st or they lose money.

To put it in perspective to history, it kinda just sounds like Microsoft got really really lucky in the 360 generation that Sony dropped the ball hard for the first couple years for PS3 and grabbed a solid base. Over time Sony caught up tho, and Microsoft never found any footing afterwards save for kinect for a bit.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
One of the brilliant things about the Switch from a business perspective is... we've already seen this console generation moving to iterative hardware refreshes but not to tremendous success thus far.

However in the Nintendo handheld market people don't really blink an eye at them releasing some new improved model every other year. I could easily see there being three or four different versions of the Switch over its lifetime.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 9, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

lol what the gently caress is this.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Xbox was pretty cool when it felt like it was a Sega console in all but name. Now it pretty much represents everything bad about modern gaming (hordes of generic shooter games, worst user base, unbelievably bad ad-filled UI) and that's sad. I wonder how well Scorpio will do.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

parallelodad posted:

Valve should just sell Steamlink as a Switch app.

Assuming they don't get held up forever in authorization, there's a program called Rainway intended for release on Switch for streaming your pc games.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Imagined posted:

One of the brilliant things about the Switch from a business perspective is... we've already seen this console generation moving to irritative hardware refreshes but not to tremendous success thus far.

However in the Nintendo handheld market people don't really blink an eye at them releasing some new improved model every other year. I could easily see there being three or four different versions of the Switch over its lifetime.

It's probably been said a ton of times, but I'd be in favor of "upgrading" my Switch with just some new screen portion, being able to reuse all my accessories, joycons, etc. It's a shame that it would be such a specialized upgrade they would never do it. Basically limiting shelf space to Switch owners that want to upgrade just a portion of the console. That has to be a very small portion of consumers for a considerable amount of retail space.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
You have $10 to build your perfect Nintendo Switch upgrade console:

Switch HD with 4K HDR support - $30

Metroid Prime 4 - $25

XL Screen - $20

Virtual Console - $20

Grown man sized joycons - $15

iPhone style scratch-proof glass - $12

Minor Battery and Bluetooth Upgrades - $5

Slightly Lighter and a stronger kickstand - $5

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I would appreciate just being able to find one tbh

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'll spend the $10 on a solo Snipperclip.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Imagined posted:

This is how my son plays Switch.

Imagine if you sold the switch, you'd be able to buy clothes for your upside-down son

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Dizz posted:

Imagine if you sold the switch, you'd be able to buy clothes for your upside-down son

You're lucky he was wearing pants in this picture.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
a true goon at heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Kilometers Davis posted:

I would appreciate just being able to find one tbh

How many time does istocknow.com need to be linked here? Sort by recent data and call the store. It even polls Target stock despite the Switch SKU being pulled from target.com

• Locked thread