Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Ak Gara posted:

Here's a tip, if you're ever trying to prove you're not crazy, try to not shout out "I'M NOT CRAZY!". It might sound backwards I know but trust me it never helps.

*taking notes voice* Shout... I am... crazy. Got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Astro7x posted:

So was the "bingo" moment from last week that they knew Chuck wanted to play the tape, so they could use the defense of entrapment which Kim and Jimmy wouldn't normally be able to do?

They didn't use an entrapment defense. Entrapment means something very specific that doesn't apply here, as Chuck correctly pointed out.

But they did need the tape to be played so that they could get into the details of what Chuck was doing during the recording, explain how his weird behaviour pressured Jimmy to say something that would put him at ease, and ultimately call both his illness and mental acuity into question. They'd never have been able to take the cross-examination down that path without the tape.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Astro7x posted:

So was the "bingo" moment from last week that they knew Chuck wanted to play the tape, so they could use the defense of entrapment which Kim and Jimmy wouldn't normally be able to do?

The single last thing Jimmy and Kim wanted was for the hearing to focus on the break in and nothing else. They're ONLY out was what Jimmy did - getting Chuck to lose it on the stand. And that required the playing of the tape so that the background of the whole incident would be gone into, requiring Chuck to testify. By trying to suppress it they were guaranteeing that there was no way Chuck would stand for not playing it.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

*taking notes voice* Shout... I am... crazy. Got it.

Worked for Max Klinger.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Platystemon posted:

The battery in Chuck’s pocket isn’t connected to anything. There is no flowing electric charge, no current.

So Chuck really shouldn’t feel anything.

All that proves is that Chuck knows nothing about electricity, but still.

They should have replaced the exit signs with radioactive tritium versions for that wholesome EM‐free illumination.

Actually the electrons travel through the air, or through Chuck's suit, or whatever the batteries touch, even if they aren't connected to a highly conductive material.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

clown shoes posted:

Patrick Fabian is one of my favorite character actors. He mostly does TV work but has been in movies like The Exorcism of Emily Rose and that terrible Atlas Shrugged movie. His big role was playing Professor Lasky on Saved by the Bell: The College Years.

Yeah him and Wynn Duffy from Justified(who played Jesse's rehab counselor in BB) on a show together would be aces

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Am I the only one who thinks Chuck subconsiously created this affliction of his because whenever he has one of his "bouts" it turns turns Jimmy from a "bad guy" into a considerate individual? The more time Jimmy is doing stuff to accommodate his brother the less time he has to bastardize the law? I think this breakdown was him realizing it wouldn't work anymore and all he accomplished was alienating his brother even further.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

graham cracker posted:

Am I the only one who thinks Chuck subconsiously created this affliction of his because whenever he has one of his "bouts" it turns turns Jimmy from a "bad guy" into a considerate individual? The more time Jimmy is doing stuff to accommodate his brother the less time he has to bastardize the law? I think this breakdown was him realizing it wouldn't work anymore and all he accomplished was alienating his brother even further.
He did create his own illness to a degree, but it seems to occur when Jimmy 'wins' something or does well. Like after he became an attorney. Or when Chuck had the meltdown in the copy shop last season.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

FlamingLiberal posted:

He did create his own illness to a degree, but it seems to occur when Jimmy 'wins' something or does well. Like after he became an attorney. Or when Chuck had the meltdown in the copy shop last season.

And every time he does it, Jimmy stops what he's doing and goes to take care of his brother, stopping whatever he was doing in it's tracks, or delaying it further.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I wonder if he'll try to capitalise on this next week, the mother of all breakdowns to get Jimmy where he wants him.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

I wonder if he'll try to capitalise on this next week, the mother of all breakdowns to get Jimmy where he wants him.
He already did that, that's how he made the tape.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

LOL if you don't trust Gilligan to figure out how a character can sink deeeeeeper.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

LOL if you don't trust Gilligan to figure out how a character can sink deeeeeeper.

Nah I'm saying that Chuck can't do anything to make his brother concerned for him anymore. The familial bond is destroyed.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i know i'm like 3 weeks late on this and my guess is that the thread figured it out immediately but the current receptionist for Jimmy and Kim's firm is Jimmy's receptionist when he is Saul Goodman in BB. we're getting the whole crew together. eagerly awaiting Bill Burr

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I have a feeling Jimmy's end game here is to have Chuck committed.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Nah I'm saying that Chuck can't do anything to make his brother concerned for him anymore. The familial bond is destroyed.

I know that and you know that, Chuck can greatly delude himself however.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

That was brilliant.
It's amazing that Jimmy basically did a magic trick - there's nothing up my sleeve but what's in your pocket?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Jimmy trying to get Chuck and Rebecca back together in the opener was adorable

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

RentACop posted:

Jimmy trying to get Chuck and Rebecca back together in the opener was adorable

I don't think he was trying to get them back together. I think that was just Rebecca coming to check on Chuck and them both lying to make Chuck seem normal.

This episode was so amazing. HUELL'S RULES! I am interested in seeing if the board accepts Jimmy's argument that this was all because he wanted to protect his mentally ill brother. Maybe next episode is the conclusion of the hearing or if this is it and they move forward.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Is it possible for the board to strip away Chuck's license from this somehow? Or maybe the bad PR from it alone might force Hamlin's hand muscling him out. They seemed to hint that was a possibility earlier.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I know it can't possibly happen but fffff I want kuby

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

EatinCake posted:

Is it possible for the board to strip away Chuck's license from this somehow? Or maybe the bad PR from it alone might force Hamlin's hand muscling him out. They seemed to hint that was a possibility earlier.

After seeing this, they could probably recommend a competency hearing. That was something the guy representing the bar was talking about.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

EatinCake posted:

Not sure about losing license, but I'd certainly wager Hamlin's goint to try to force Chuck into retirement or whatever. I mean, that's what he tried to do at the very start, isn't it?

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

FlamingLiberal posted:

someone post Chuck's head whack gif please.

That shot at the end looked to me like Chuck had already gone into deep catatonia again from being owned so freakin' hard.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Good episode.

When people complain about the pace of the glacial, drama-less episodes previous, it is not due to a lack of gunsplosions and Rad Killin'z.
It's because watching Mike stare out a car window for five minutes straight is boring.

Whereas watching characters with actual motivations trying to achieve tangible goals and facing roadblocks and overcoming them - with the odd funny bit of dialogue or smart idea - is good. And that's what they finally gave us here. Huell served an actual purpose instead in the actual plot instead of three full hours of television going "Hey, remember that guy from that show you liked?"

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

robot roll call posted:

That was some A+ TV right there. I know people say this show is slow paced, but this episode hit so hard because of all the time we've spent with Chuck and Jimmy. And I couldn't have been the only one who completely geeked out seeing my man Huell again.

I geeked out the second the vet asked if his sleight-of-hand guy needed to "fit in any tight spaces"

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Chuck is a senior partner so it would take a lot for him to lose his position. However, between this meltdown and his meltdown at the Mesa Verde hearing it's not looking good.

It's pretty insane the amount of leeway that Howard has given Chuck so far. I do think that's probably going to change since now this is going to negatively affect the firm.

I think the theories that Jimmy changes his name because of Chuck's illness are becoming more likely by the minute.

I think it's rich that Chuck wanted Jimmy to change his last name because he didn't want Jimmy's law firm to sully his. And now Jimmy changes his name because Jimmy doesn't want the reputation of Chuck to follow him.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I love this show. I love Chuck calling out Perry Mason confessions and he ends up doing one. I love Huell pulling the old switcharoo. I love arts and crafts with Mike. I love Gus one-upping old man Salamanca. I love Francesca slow-burning her way to becoming Saul's world weary secretary. Love it all.

Just hope that Kim makes it out of all this alive.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Well considering as soon as Walt sticks his fingers in the pies of what's going on in all this bodies start dropping and everything unravels. This show is about how all that stuff got put together in the first place by a number of extremely intelligent people doing everything they can to not be the cause of corpses.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's textbook for psychosomatic symptoms to increase during stress and it's also not unusual for the person to spiral because of that: stress causes symptoms, symptoms cause stress -- now you're looping until intervention or an actual stress related symptom takes you out.

Chuck's disease isn't real but the consequences could be, in a physical way.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just have to say I've been waiting the whole series for Huell to finally show up, and holy poo poo did he get a perfect introduction. Not only that, there was a really good reason to not use Mike since Chuck met Mike last week, plus Huell is established as a world class pickpocket that's good at taking AND returning things from Breaking Bad.

They held onto their Huell card for a long time, and man did they play it in style.

VagueRant posted:

When people complain about the pace of the glacial, drama-less episodes previous

How many episodes was that? 1?

I actually thought it was quite clever as an episode to do it that way, it was just a bad choice for a season opener. It's been hitting the accelerator flat out ever since.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 9, 2017

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Ouch. Did I imagine it or someone managed to loop it almost seamlessly? The looping one is the one I wish I saved

Also I was glad that the vet stood up for the goldfish! I don't even like fish and I hate the condition most Bettas are kept in. :argh:

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

TwoStepBoog posted:

HHM's image damaged.
Chuck's credibility ruined.
Rebecca finds out Chuck is mentally ill.
Mesa Verde is now justified in leaving HHM for Kim.
Jimmy walks free.

All in one episode.
God :drat:

A lot happened even though arguably there was only one location (flashback doesn't count). What should've been a bottle episode ended up feeling like it was non-stop stuff happening.

Even though it didn't really help them in the end, Kim shooting down the nepotism claim was my favorite part of the episode. Hamlin just wants to go home and sleep it off.

He'll have to tell Chuck they're done professionally and Chuck will end up inside a mental institution from which Jimmy can't rescue him.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
It's probably been mentioned already but I do like how the episode starts with Chuck making up a lie about some bozos mixing up some address numbers.

e: Yep it was mentioned on the last page, oh well.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

vermin posted:

A lot happened even though arguably there was only one location (flashback doesn't count). What should've been a bottle episode ended up feeling like it was non-stop stuff happening.

Even though it didn't really help them in the end, Kim shooting down the nepotism claim was my favorite part of the episode. Hamlin just wants to go home and sleep it off.

He'll have to tell Chuck they're done professionally and Chuck will end up inside a mental institution from which Jimmy can't rescue him.
"Bottle episode" refers to an episode shot with as few non-regular actors and new sets as possible. Considering the "bottle" of this episode was a new set, I'm not sure it qualifies. This was definitely the most singularly focused episode of Better Call Saul yet, though.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Michael McKean is akin to Kevin Spacey in House of Cards where his character is a scumbag you'd have to restrain yourself from punching if you met in real life because he plays the character so well that they seem so real and you'd have to remind yourself it's an actor. It's wild.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lol Chuck got Queeged.

But how is Huell not in trouble? "Uh yeah I pickpocketed someone but it was to prove a point." How is it supposed to fly?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If Huell stole something from Chuck that would be a problem, but he didn't do that. He just planted a harmless item on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Zefiel posted:

Ouch. Did I imagine it or someone managed to loop it almost seamlessly? The looping one is the one I wish I saved

Also I was glad that the vet stood up for the goldfish! I don't even like fish and I hate the condition most Bettas are kept in. :argh:

http://i.imgur.com/CDXTSxi.mp4

• Locked thread