Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

iceaim posted:

That sounds like it would have to involve an invasive surgical procedure.

Helllll yeah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, they'll get there with transcranial magnetic stimulation or similar.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
In the same thread where I lay out why VR treadmills are dumb I will say that I'd seriously consider getting surgery for an implant for 1:1 VR simulations if that's what it takes.

I mean yeah it won't because electrodes and fields and all that but still.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

KakerMix posted:

In the same thread where I lay out why VR treadmills are dumb I will say that I'd seriously consider getting surgery for an implant for 1:1 VR simulations if that's what it takes.

I mean yeah it won't because electrodes and fields and all that but still.

Yeah Omni treadmills are kind of dumb for VR. It SEEMS like a clever idea until you apply a tiny bit of scrutiny to it and also ignore the fact that there are games that have solved the locomotion problem (Onward) without introducing other interactivity problems that start to defeat the point of VR (inability to crouch, go prone and also pick up things off the ground without smacking the treadmill supports).
But like yeah, lets forget that point and pretend some VR accessory that will probably see sub-3 digit number of units sold as some kind of ultimate solution to the problem.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't want the government hacking my brain and corporations monetizing my thoughts so I have to get the open source linux brain implant.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

homeless snail posted:

I don't want the government hacking my brain and corporations monetizing my thoughts so I have to get the open source linux brain implant.

Yeah I do that too but sometimes my hearing doesn't work and everything is a lower framerate.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

homeless snail posted:

I don't want the government(google/facebook) hacking my brain and corporations monetizing my thoughts so I have to get the open source linux brain implant.

Fixed that for you, and also too late, but it's not that bad just targeted advertising. They don't need to literally be in your head to know what your feeling and thinking if you give them sufficient activity and social graph information, it already happened.

Arguably I would bet the actions you take and company you keep is probably a better at determining what you are going to do next then what you're thinking. Knowing what people are thinking is secondary to knowing if they are going to buy something. People often think they are going to do something they aren't and the opposite (I can totally go to that condo showing to get free tickets and not buy a timeshare).

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 9, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Please, shut up about refugees, nazis, Trump, Hillary and overall politics in the VR thread (the brain implant talk that is going on now is pretty abstract, relevant and not inflammatory so it's ok). This might come as a shock to some but this is a thread about VR technology and not about that other poo poo. Games forum is not a place for people who are too scared of posting in the appropriate subforums to drive-by dump their one-paragraph political views to feel better about themselves, gently caress off.

From now on I'll start probating both those who start these topics and those who pick up the derails. Nobody cares what you think about politics.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

IMO You should probably just ban discussion of Palmer Luckey cause the only reason people post about him now that he got fired is to troll the thread one way or the other and get people talking about how he is/isn't a nazi again.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

rage-saq posted:

solved the locomotion problem (Onward)

Stick locomotion standard would be horrible, the dullest timeline. In rec room I'm boppin and weaving like a fool, in Pavlov I was just standing still and at no disadvantage.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Stick navigation is the only way RE7 could work, the navigable area is far larger than any tracked volume could be and you have to be vulnerable to attackers and script triggers throughout all of it.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Single player experience coming for The Unspoken later this year. Awesome news: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/69y7zd/the_unspoken_arcane_update_40_preview_stream_today/dhauij7/
e: also new Spar mode (ranked, made for easing newbies into the game) and new arena etc. coming tomorrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJKqAomtVdo

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 9, 2017

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Fooz posted:

Stick locomotion standard would be horrible, the dullest timeline. In rec room I'm boppin and weaving like a fool, in Pavlov I was just standing still and at no disadvantage.

Onward has crouching and prone and maps that feel and work like normal FPS levels where you have can have strategy, coordination and combat that works like traditional tactical FPS combat.

I checked out Pavlov last week and it's still pretty boring, movement, weapon handling and firing still feels like it's all covered in a layer of jello and inaccurate and the maps are still pretty bad.

Teleportation makes for pretty bad FPS co-op or PVP map and mechanic design.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
The best VR locomotion is pogostick. You walk around free in your space, but then you pull out a pogostick and start hopping. Whatever direction your hand is facing while you hop is the direction you travel.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

TomR posted:

The best VR locomotion is pogostick. You walk around free in your space, but then you pull out a pogostick and start hopping. Whatever direction your hand is facing while you hop is the direction you travel.

That sounds like a really great way to fall and break my expensive as gently caress VR headset.
And likely strangle myself with the display cable.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Also this may be a TCC question but has anyone tried hallucinogens and VR? Fractals could be heavy

VR and weed is a combination you should try. Hallucinogens? I shudder to think.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Who needs hallucinogens when there are Thumper and Rez.

Slothpolo
Oct 1, 2005
STUPID
DICK
Can anyone recommend some VR titles on steam where you do almost nothing and just watch some creative poo poo go down?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Slothpolo posted:

Can anyone recommend some VR titles on steam where you do almost nothing and just watch some creative poo poo go down?
You can download other people's Tilt Brush drawings and watch the replays, idk what else

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Surge?
On my phone, so don't have the URL. It's basically a music video with real time graphics. From back when dk2 was out and is still top notch. Group is releasing another soon as well.

Actually, there are a bunch of these experiences in the Oculus store. Not sure how many have been brought over to Steam, though they were very common when VR was in the dev kit phase and people were just throwing things together, like the infamous rollercoaster demos.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've done mushrooms and played vive. Honestly it's too much, the 3d doesn't really work because your eyes dont docus properly so its just like theres a tv on your face. but its cool to try at least. I had a bit of fun in job simulator but mostly it just feels weird.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Finally....Coming soon, or you can opt into the beta channel.

posted:

The upcoming v1.15 software update is now live on the Public Test Channel. As always, patch notes will be included with the official full release, but we wanted to provide a short preview here.

First, with 1.15, Rift will fully support three-sensor configurations for larger roomscale setups. We’ve updated the new three-sensor setup wizard in the Oculus app based on the latest data, and everything looks good. This also means we’re planning to remove the experimental tag from roomscale support.

If you’re part of the Public Test Channel program and have multiple sensors, we encourage you to test it out and let us know what you think.

We’ve also improved the way we share health and safety information, including a new safety video with the option – after you’ve acknowledged the information – to enable/disable health and safety reminders when putting on Rift.

Thanks to everyone who’s helping us test 1.15 early. For those participating, remember to share comments and feedback via the bug reporting tool. We look forward to hearing from you.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/52564/upcoming-v1-15-software-update-live-on-public-test-channel

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 9, 2017

Slothpolo
Oct 1, 2005
STUPID
DICK
Yeah I really liked a few of them. The ghost in the Shell promo thing was super neat, Oculus Lost, and ARTAAL. I was hoping to find more stuff like that if its out there.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Slothpolo posted:

I haven't tried any of these, lol, but from memory theres henry, lost, gnomes and goblins, bunch of others i cant remember as I haven't played them either. that one with the ppl in the car. I guess irrational exuberance sort of counts?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

haveblue posted:

Who needs hallucinogens when there are Thumper and Rez.

Playstation VR only so far, but Polybius came out today. It's by Jeff Minter. That should tell you a lot.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Somone on the Steam forums got their TPCast and is posting about it

https://steamcommunity.com/app/250820/discussions/0/1326718197212913640/

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

NmareBfly posted:

Playstation VR only so far, but Polybius came out today. It's by Jeff Minter. That should tell you a lot.

Yeah, at least this one won't cause brain damage. Probably.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Slothpolo posted:

Anyland can fit this description if you actually find a group of people online

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
If you've been thinking about trying out The Unspoken or getting back into it, now's a good time. They added a new Spar mode that goes for 3 minutes and is point based, so even if you're in an unbalanced match you won't just die instantly out of nowhere. They also are running a tournament which seems like it's given the game a bit of a shot in the arm - there have been 58 matches in the past hour which is higher than I've seen it in months. They also added progression in the form of skin unlocks which is neat.

Edit: also you can be transported into the screaming death skull reality https://clips.twitch.tv/HardObservantJamBlargNaut

Lemming fucked around with this message at 11:03 on May 10, 2017

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Lemming posted:

If you've been thinking about trying out The Unspoken or getting back into it, now's a good time. They added a new Spar mode that goes for 3 minutes and is point based, so even if you're in an unbalanced match you won't just die instantly out of nowhere. They also are running a tournament which seems like it's given the game a bit of a shot in the arm - there have been 58 matches in the past hour which is higher than I've seen it in months. They also added progression in the form of skin unlocks which is neat.

Edit: also you can be transported into the screaming death skull reality https://clips.twitch.tv/HardObservantJamBlargNaut

You know, all things considered, it's kinda nice that there are enough good VR games that I forget about other good games like the Unspoken. I seriously completely forgot about owning that game haha.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Lemming posted:

Looking forward to owning it after getting destroyed at the MS sponsored tournament this weekend since I haven't been able to play it yet.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Holy poo poo, Payday 2 VR, cross play with normal Payday 2

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Please please tell me this works with Rift, because I literally just reinstalled the game after having not played since launch.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Everything that works with Vive works with Rift so you should be good to go

That said hell yeah a real game that will be sweet as hell

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Owlchemy labs got bought by google. wonder if that's good or bad for PC VR or if they'll be focusing on Daydream instead.
I was legit sad to hear that the sound stage guy quit development after he got hired by google :(

Edit: Pavlov just got an update to make it basically VR Counterstrike so now I'm pretty interested in that.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

w00tazn posted:

Owlchemy labs got bought by google. wonder if that's good or bad for PC VR or if they'll be focusing on Daydream instead.
I was legit sad to hear that the sound stage guy quit development after he got hired by google :(

Edit: Pavlov just got an update to make it basically VR Counterstrike so now I'm pretty interested in that.

Owlchemy Labs was a seriously overrated studio that made very short very overpriced vr games. I don't think this is going to be bad for PC VR. I'd consider this mostly neutral. This Payday VR thing is amazing news though. There's just so much good stuff coming to VR. I love it.

One thing I've been trying lately is Reshade + Depth3D shader + Virtual Desktop in over / under mode to create a giant Imax sized stereoscopic screen.

So far I tried it with Max Payne 3 and holy poo poo the 3D effect, despite it being z buffer quasi 3D rather than geometric true 3d like my VorpX New Vegas play through, is really impressive AND immersive!

What I REALLY want to do is hope I can access the depth buffer in Playerunknown's Battlegrounds so that I can play it on a giant stereoscopic screen. That would be so god drat satisfying. No guarantee that'll work though since many Unreal Engine 4 multiplayer games have the depth buffer cleared.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Z buffer 3D looks like rear end though, too many occlusion artifacts, you're better off using Tridef or something.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maybe they will stop working on their games and we'll get a price drop on the rick and morty one.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Hey now maybe I'll play Payday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceaim
May 20, 2001

homeless snail posted:

Z buffer 3D looks like rear end though, too many occlusion artifacts, you're better off using Tridef or something.

It looks pretty good on Max Payne 3. The 3D effect isn't quite as intense though in order to avoid said artifacts, but I am still quite satisfied with the end result.

Also there is nothing special about Tridef. It does Z buffer as well as geometric 3D, and it has horrendous performance even when it's doing Z buffer 3D. I already have VorpX, but I will probably try Tridef once they release their VR theatre software in September.

Personally I think the holy grail would be a bridge between stereoscopic gaming and VR through a wrapper that converts 3D Vision to Side by Side / Over Under. There's already such a wrapper called 3Dmigoto that converts 3D Vision Discover anaglyph to Side by Side OR Over Under but it only works with Direct X 11 games.