Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Ewing was really dominant but I feel like he always got clowned on by Robinson, Olajuwon, and Shaq. In a lot of ways now that his career is deeper, he reminds me a lot of Dwight Howard. Both just supremely powerful, athletic dudes who were extremely dominant but lacked that extra skill and didn't play on complete enough teams to win a title against some of the all-time great squads that were top tier in his era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

mdemone posted:

I sense that you hold Kareem as your personal GOAT. (With which I cannot disagree.) Am I right?

Yes, without a doubt. He lost only two games in his four year UCLA career. One due to an eye injury and another due to some opponent not shooting the ball. The dumb NCAA banned the dunk because he was too dominant. That's not a joke. They BANNED the dunk. Also, he's the rare elite athlete that actually got a degree (BA in history) before joining the NBA.

Between the NBA regular season/playoffs/ASGs and his college years he scored 46,725 points on 59.1% TS%. Nobody else is close to that. As one example, at LBJs current shooting levels he would need to score basically 52,000 points in the regular season/playoffs/ASGs to reach Kareem's level. He's currently at 34,948 points.

Nobody could stop Kareem's ambidextrous hook shots. He'd probably be doing 3P hook shots now. He fought Bruce Lee in a movie. He stopped the Lakers 33 game win streak.

Also, he was was a career 72% FT shooter. Unlike so many big men who are awful at the line if you sent Kareem to the line you were going to pay the price.

NickRoweFillea posted:

This may sound like a dumb request but I don't really care. Can someone tell me how good Patrick Ewing actually was? Like with numbers and examples. Thanks!

Good enough to win the title in 1994. Underrated scorer. Only finished in the top ten of WS/48 twice in his career and that makes him seem slightly overrated with how much talk he got in the early 1990s playing in NYC.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
There were giants on the earth in those days. it was the age of the centers. Ewings rep suffers from being compared to some of the greatest players of all time like Robinson, Hakeem, and Shaq, but he was just below those guys which means he was really loving good. He wasn't a great offensive player, but he was a dominant defender.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Vince Carter, ghostface?

E: I desperately want CJ McCollum to become Young Thug next season

zelah fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 10, 2017

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

NickRoweFillea posted:

This may sound like a dumb request but I don't really care. Can someone tell me how good Patrick Ewing actually was? Like with numbers and examples. Thanks!

hot take - he was really good under the rules back then, but he would be pretty ineffective in today's NBA.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No because he would crush undersized 5s and stretch 4s in the block and on the boards

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

predicto posted:

hot take - he was really good under the rules back then, but he would be pretty ineffective in today's NBA.

He was a career 66% 3pt shooter, he'd be fine

edit: in the two seasons they tracker shot locations. My sample size joke became a "didn't read the stat" joke.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

euphronius posted:

No because he would crush undersized 5s and stretch 4s in the block and on the boards

Yup. He didn't quite have Duncan range, but he could hit a midrange shot and had a great fadeaway+running hook shot.

Great defender who led some great defensive teams in the pros and college. He, Mourning, Mutombo, and Iverson are on the Rushmore of the John Thompson era at Georgetown. Was about to sign with UNC until he saw a Klan rally while visiting.

His rep probably suffers from :0 rings:, but, echoing other posters, he's probably just a little bit below Shaq/Olajuwon/Robinson.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Libertine posted:

Ewing was really dominant but I feel like he always got clowned on by Robinson, Olajuwon, and Shaq. In a lot of ways now that his career is deeper, he reminds me a lot of Dwight Howard. Both just supremely powerful, athletic dudes who were extremely dominant but lacked that extra skill and didn't play on complete enough teams to win a title against some of the all-time great squads that were top tier in his era.
I think a lot of this would be based on the 94 Finals, where the Knicks nearly won. That was his only playoff series against any of them.

euphronius posted:

I also think he'd have a much different role now instead of taking a 20 shots a game like he did in his best years. Ewing who just dunks and plays defense is just about the best version of that kind of player.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
In today's game Ewing would be Tyson Chandler but able to take a larger offensive load (and have a little bit more range). That is a pretty drat good player.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
My recollection of Ewing was that he'd get you the 25/12 a night but didn't often take over a game and carry a team the way Shaq or Hakeem could. Oakley/Mason/Ewing was a pretty badass frontcourt though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He made the finals and that's pretty loving great.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Ewing held his team back why else would they play better when he didn't play

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

oh this guy

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Away all Goats posted:

https://twitter.com/JLew1050/status/861963075884384257

"No more complimenting Lebron in the middle of a series guys"

Will be interesting to see what the Raptors do. Even they make every correct off season move, and pull of a few swindle trades, they still wont have a chance in hell at beating the cavs unless LBJ gets hurt. Gotta be frustrating to make a very good 50 win team for a few years in a row but have no chance because LeBron. There is no free agents available to sign that will improve your team enough to beat LeBron. And staying put and going with the guys we already have been playing with Lowry/Patterson/Tucker/Ibaka coming off the books will put you way over the cap.

I still think even if we somehow PG13 for scraps this playoffs and had a lineup of healthy lowry/derozan/tucker or powell/ibaka/JV , we still would have lost the series 9/10 times, and likely swept or gentlemans swept.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dunced on did 40 min or so on the raptors yesterday and it's very good.

I'd blow it up, but a very expensive run of 50 wins a year is possible . It is sort of not their choice since ibaka and Lowry are true free agents.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I think that the James Harden gently caress Defense Memorial Point Guard Tour has made him so much more watchable to me

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

NickRoweFillea posted:

I think that the James Harden gently caress Defense Memorial Point Guard Tour has made him so much more watchable to me

he is definitely much more dynamic and watchable this year although part of that, i think, is just dwight being gone and them adding some good three point shooters for him to pass to. he has been a good passer going back to OKC

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

chunkles posted:

he is definitely much more dynamic and watchable this year although part of that, i think, is just dwight being gone and them adding some good three point shooters for him to pass to. he has been a good passer going back to OKC

Seeing him facilitate and conduct that offense is soooo much better than watching him drive into a Dwight-filled slough and flop to get free throws

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

NickRoweFillea posted:

Seeing him facilitate and conduct that offense is soooo much better than watching him drive into a Dwight-filled slough and flop to get free throws

all of his flopping is done when a defender looks at him while attempting to go through a moving screen

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

patonthebach posted:

Will be interesting to see what the Raptors do. Even they make every correct off season move, and pull of a few swindle trades, they still wont have a chance in hell at beating the cavs unless LBJ gets hurt. Gotta be frustrating to make a very good 50 win team for a few years in a row but have no chance because LeBron. There is no free agents available to sign that will improve your team enough to beat LeBron. And staying put and going with the guys we already have been playing with Lowry/Patterson/Tucker/Ibaka coming off the books will put you way over the cap.

I still think even if we somehow PG13 for scraps this playoffs and had a lineup of healthy lowry/derozan/tucker or powell/ibaka/JV , we still would have lost the series 9/10 times, and likely swept or gentlemans swept.

this raptors team has been dogshit in the playoffs vs non lebron teams. the raptors have no chance cause their two best players are unplayable garbage in the playoffs every single year and their coach seems mediocre. i think trying to place it all on the fact that lebron is great sort of misses the point, that even if he wasn't there this raptors team would just be swept by some other team

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Yeah, the raptors will probably get swept by the bucks instead so that the bucks can get clowned on by lbj instead

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
Ewing was great with his back to the basket and could shoot mid-range so Dwight/Tyson Chandler comparisons are mistaken
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aqW0qioM5A

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
what do the advanced stats say about ewing getting scottie pippen's balls in his face

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
News: James Harden is a loser bitch

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Maybe if James didn't selfishly stat chase the rockets would have won the game

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

if manu ginobli was on the raptors instead of demar derozan they would have taken the cavs to 7 imo

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
kawhi not
https://twitter.com/World_Wide_Wob/status/862138233571954688

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

manu at $14m this year was a steal

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
all those manu all-star votes came from time travellers, i'm convinced of it

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Manu blocked that like he was playing one of his kids in the backyard.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
the more they beat the Rockets the more Spurs go down. I don't have video proof Pat Bev is responsible but this is like stomping a porcupine

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

zelah posted:

Vince Carter, ghostface?

E: I desperately want CJ McCollum to become Young Thug next season

With his longevity VC is clearly E-40.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
James Harden had one of the worst overtimes you'll ever see from a star player

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Jota posted:

James Harden had one of the worst overtimes you'll ever see from a star player

that's only because the Raps couldnt even get to OT.

But yea, he was having a tough time. They just stopped running their offense and he was just holding the ball way too long

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Help I only watch the playoffs is it normal for games to go like 3 minutes without anyone scoring or was that as much of a ridiculous comedy of errors as it looked?

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Rockets with the rare 7 man rotation

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

BWV posted:

that's only because the Raps couldnt even get to OT.

But yea, he was having a tough time. They just stopped running their offense and he was just holding the ball way too long

Seeing Lowry succeed in the playoffs with the Spurs is going to be a bittersweet pill for a lot of Toronto fans.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Ogmius815 posted:

Help I only watch the playoffs is it normal for games to go like 3 minutes without anyone scoring or was that as much of a ridiculous comedy of errors as it looked?

eh, it happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Ogmius815 posted:

Scoring droughts aren't abnormal but the first few minutes of OT was some definite A-tier comedy basketball

especially if you like watching James Harden gently caress up

• Locked thread