Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I started with Zoids when my dad had a bunch of work trips to Minnesota and kept bringing them back from the great mall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
My first robot was a Gundam, but I stuck solely to Macross, Orguss and Dunbine for the first year or two. Wasn't the least bit impressed with Gundam until I saw the first episode of Zeta, at which point it all clicked, though sometimes I wish I'd remained unimpressed.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Midjack posted:

First one was the 1/144 "HG" Wing Zero from when you could buy Gunpla at Wal-Mart around the turn of the century. First decent recent one was the HG Strike Noir.

1/144 "HG" Altron, around the same time. My first MG was the ZZ because big loving transforming robots are cool.

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

This is definitely my preferred place for Gunpla discussion.

My first Gunpla was the MG Wing Zero Custom. My girlfriend(now wife) bought it for me at an :anime: convention in 2007 and I thought it was so cool that I started putting it together with her nail clippers in the hotel room. I chopped up slightly less than you would expect, though I only used an exacto once I got home. She got me a 1/144 HG Deathscythe shortly after, then I didn't think about Gunpla until I saw the Bandai booth at New York Toy Fair in 2014 and got an RG Zaku II right after.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Midjack posted:

First one was the 1/144 "HG" Wing Zero from when you could buy Gunpla at Wal-Mart around the turn of the century.

Same, I remember putting a poo poo ton of time and effort into it because of poorness and buying it was kind of a big deal. I still have it:

Makes me question how much I've actually improved in the last decade or two, I still use the same basic process, I just have thinner panel lines now. Also evidently I had knowledge of some kind of voodoo-rear end clearcoat that sticks to polycaps.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
My first was a 1/144 Epyon in the very early 2000's, then nothing else for over a decade because the local Hobbytown closed and Gunpla was virtually unavailable locally until B&N started carrying them. In the meantime I was heavy into tabletop miniatures (D&D and later Warmachine).

I rediscovered Gunpla a couple of years ago through SA; Broken Loose was in one of the Warhammer threads talking about the absurd price difference vs what you get when comparing Gunpla to tiny plastic scifi/fantasy soldiers. That lead me to this thread were I lurked for a while.

Then last year I was in B&N as saw an HG Kimaris which I liked the look of, and saw the dirt cheap pricing of HG IBOs, and grabbed it. Since then, I've done about 20 kits (mostly HGs with a few MGs and RGs), and have more than that many again in my backlog.

I should really start working on putting in more detailing than just panel lining and a top coat, just to slow myself down. Although not doing tabletop miniatures anymore does give me a lot more free time these days.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

My first was a 1/144 Master Gundam that my grandma got me at Target, long ago in the halcyon days of the early 2000s.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
My first kits were a trio of Batman vehicles from Batman Forever. The Batwing, Batboat, and the Batmobile with the split fin.

The first snap build kit I remember were some Zoids. I actually built the Iron Kong and the big Brontosaurus one. I found those when I moved 3 years ago and I was ashamed to see all the nubs because I was a teenager and didn't have nippers. I wish I had room to keep them but had to get rid of those monsters.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I remember having the Zoid kits that had the wind-up motors inside them when I was like eight.

Command Wolf was the only one to turn out halfway decent.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
I remember the scorpion one being okay. I dug the beam gun on the tip of the tail and the gold pilots.

Apparently this one was called the Guysack. Wtf zoids.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

muike posted:

have you built any macross kits, bandai or otherwise?

I have built a few Macross kits. I have an old Macross 7 one I still need to build (I am fostering kittens so I am currently On Hiatus because holy poo poo five kittens) that was gifted to me, two Hasegawa Valkyrie Egg Planes and the Minimum Factory Lynn Minmei (with intention to do the MF Frontier ones of Ranka and Sheryl). It's just hard to tell which kits don't suck sometimes! But I do love them.

Puddin posted:

I've watched the first episode of the very first series that I got for Xmas.

All it took was a trip to Akihabara last year to the Gundam Cafe and Sofmap and I now have about 8 models all randomly selected based on their looks.

I'll watch them sometime but I just enjoy reliving my youth making good looking models.

I'm ready planning to take a second suitcase when we go back this year to fill full of Gundam.

Yeah I pick things on an aesthetics basis 90% of the time, the other 10% is me building Macross poo poo or plastic arcade machines. Hang-On is here waiting to be gloss coated, but someday when I don't have five kittens the next one up is Taiko Drum Master :kimchi:

mikeycp posted:

for the most part you aren't really missing out.

I hear this a LOT from people who are honestly really into the anime so I don't feel THAT bad about it...

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

My first kit was an MG Freedom gundam, I didn't even know gunpla was a thing untill 00. And 00 was the first show i'd seen after WING on toonami.

It isn't the best build I have done, but I have to say for my very first kit it looks surprisingly decent for an OoB+detailing build.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
What's a good way to display Gunpla because I have a bunch of them I put together in high school that are languishing in boxes right now. Ikea glass case maybe?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

What's a good way to display Gunpla because I have a bunch of them I put together in high school that are languishing in boxes right now. Ikea glass case maybe?
I have a glass case from IKEA, It's my one thing in my home that's super nerdy. It contains gunpla and other various collectables and display things. I'd say it's still pretty spacious overall but I don't feel the need to display all the things at the same time, I rotate things in and out. The space between the shelves is big enough to have an MG on an action base in an areal pose.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So obviously this is a segue into everyone's first gunpla, right?

Mine was the HG triple dom jet stream attack set. I don't even remember when it was, I just saw it, got ludicrously excited, and plopped down for it.

I bought the 1/100 Launcher Strike Gundam at Otakon in I think 2004 or 2005. I think I used an Xacto knife to cut the parts off, and nothing more. Then I did the 1/144 BuCUE and was all "why is it so tiny"

So then I bought, and I think I started but abandoned, a Wing ver Ka, and I forget what happened with that.

Many years later, 2014 came around, and Gundam Build Fighters had dropped. I was enjoying it and was borrowing Katsucon badges rather than pay to go, and was hanging out with a buddy as I was expressing envy at some of the kits in the contest. I mentioned I'd try it one day when I was retired and had time, he convinced me otherwise, I dug up my lovely old nippers and got a Build Strike Full Package.

The rest is history.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I remember doing my first kit when gundam wing first was airing in Canada. I think it was the wing gundam. I don't remember much about it and it likely was terrible.

I started doing them again 2-3 years later. I started with the 1/100 wing zero that I think I found at toys r us or something? I stared with testors paint, and a toothpick for trying to panel line. It was a complete mess. However I kept going, researching and got where I am today. Been doing the hobby for fifteen years now.

I remember my dad saying I'd grow out of doing them in six months. Guess I proved him wrong.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Zedd posted:

I'd say it's still pretty spacious overall but I don't feel the need to display all the things at the same time, I rotate things in and out.

More people should do this, really.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Bimmi posted:

More people should do this, really.
People really should, especially when it's pure merchandise. Like gunpla, even OoB builds are still things you made yourself, but when I see people with like 30+ of those funko pop things I'm just like "why?". If people get enjoyment out of it that's good and I won't judge people for it; but I do feel that a limited amount makes you appreciate each more.

A Bad Place
May 25, 2008
My first was a 1/144 Deathscythe that I totally adored. It was covered in little spurs of plastic because I was too stupid to think of using clippers back then, so I just yanked and twisted the pieces off the runners like a barbarian.

I've tried my best to get into the shows, but it never takes. I know like the first half of the plot of any given series, but I don't think I've seen any of them all the way through. Which is bad, because I have this weird aversion to buying mechs that I don't know everything about. Or maybe it's good, since otherwise nothing would stop me from spending all my money on wacky poo poo like Dendrobiums and Deep Strikers or whatever.

^said while selling my organs to afford every armored core kit

As for display, yeah rotating through things is the way to go. My apartment has basically no space for a dedicated gunpla zone, so I only keep out my most recent build and one or two others I'm feeling proud of at the moment. The rest slumber in cardboard stasis.

A Bad Place fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 9, 2017

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I don't throw stones about how people want to display things, I just accept that I end up having to do too much dusting.

https://twitter.com/sacaitlin/status/856262299249766401

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
How many Gameboys does one person need???

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

More? Yes, more. The next "want" is the Sakura Taisen GBC.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Eh, I've seen worse.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

First kits?

My first actual kit was Ssj Goku last year because i saw it at BN and I'd been considering the hobby for a while. Before I even finished building, I had ordered a Full Armor FA-78 HG online, which was my first Gundam. Still need to get another one of that kit so I can do it justice.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

...Beargguy Petit Winning Yellow :v: a gift from friends.

But that's first GUNPLA, my first kit was actually Roll (Kotobukiya Mega Man, then I did Mega Man and Proto Man)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

My first kit was a Harrier by the company Bobcat in third grade. I did planes and spaceships through high school and the Wing Zero in college was the end of it for several years.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I was only ever planning to buy one or two kits when I started this hobby.

I'm up to 20-odd gunpla models on my shelves now :shepface:.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
HGUC Ez8 and Gouf Tactical Demonstrator. Got them last May at Comic-Con.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Caitlin posted:

I hear this a LOT from people who are honestly really into the anime so I don't feel THAT bad about it...

Some Gundam is really good, some Gundam is really bad, most of it is somewhere in the "Ok, i guess" range. Kind of inevitable when you have a nearly 40-years-old franchise.

My first kit was an sd Astray Gold Frame my brother got me after he went to japan maybe ten years ago.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I remember when 20 seemed like way too many. How young and foolish I was.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Bimmi posted:

I remember when 20 seemed like way too many. How young and foolish I was.

I have 3! (That's an exclamation point and not a factorial.)

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
First kit I built was probably one of the old HG wing kits from walmart, think it was the deathscythe and I really didnt understand the point of models at the time and it came out poo poo and didnt mess with them again for a long time. First recent kit I got that got me really into building models was a HG Gouf Custom (where the gently caress is my 2.0 MG GC/RG Gouf bandai).

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Gunpla has been nicknamed "plastic crack" for a reason.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are there any decent alternatives to top coats I can buy in Canada so I don't have to import spray cans from Japan? Am I better off just buying a can of Rust-Oleum from the Home Depot, or is that too heavy a spray?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 9, 2017

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Are there any decent alternatives to top coats I can buy in Canada so I don't have to import spray cans from Japan? Am I better off just buying a can of Rust-Oleum from the Home Depot, or is that too heavy a spray?

I live in Canada and my local shop has the tamiya spray cans that work fine.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Kapool?
MG G-Reco?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

Kapool?
MG G-Reco?

No
No

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

everythingWasBees posted:

Kapool?
MG G-Reco?

No
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAno

A bit late to the conversation, but i'm pretty sure my first kit was the 1/100 HG Wing Zero...and God what a mistake that was. :gonk:

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I might be the newest convert to the hobby in the thread with my first Gunpla being an HG Amazing Red Warrior this February. I've probably bought 15 more HGs and 5 MGs since then. I've been a big LEGO guy for years so by extension this hobby is sucking me in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If they really are doing a movie or OVA, I don't think a MG G-Self is out of the question