Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Danaru posted:

Asura's Wrath also had the best loving 'QTE' ever, near the end.

Extend Arm

Do you play as Stephanie?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz6A6t55qXk&t=100s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperpower!
Jun 1, 2004
I'm in a box!
To contribute to the 'this is now the little things in Prey' thread that this will soon become for a week or so. The soundtrack so far is very good. There is a point near the start of the game where it kicks in with full 80's synth. I'm bopping my foot along to the beat and looking around. As I do so I pan the camera down and can see that the character is bopping their foot along to the beat with me. Good stuff!

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Prey does a really good job of building up the lives of the crew, they're not "faceless NPC #632" to be cannon fodder, they've all got names and designated sleeping areas, and lives before the game kicks off. You can find a corpse, then find his workstation and a bunch of emails he sent to other people on their computers, and his sleeping quarters, and often you'll be able to track an individual crew members last moments through the world building.
At first you might find a corpse of someone in the lobby for example and you see their name, but don't think anything of it. But you'll gradually come to know that that dead person had a son on earth, liked beer and was a sports fan, was kind of a dick to some other crew member, but got along really well with the head of one of the departments and was secretly stashing company secrets.
They do this for quite a lot of the crew, and you can find all of the crew (alive or dead... mostly dead) on or around the station.

It really makes the station feel more lived in and believable. Great little touch.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I'll back this up.
Makes it feel like each corpse you find was a person, not just a prop.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Exactly. I couple of times I've kind of started to get to know a person from chat logs and recorded phone conversations, found their sleeping quarters and read part of their diary, and been like "hey, this guy was a pretty cool dude" then found their corpse cowering in a broom closet where they've blown their own head off to avoid a fate worse than death or discovered their desiccated body frozen in a state of panic and I'll think "oh man i'm genuinely bummed you didn't make it to safety buddy. drat."

Or come across a named monster. Damnit Brooke, I know this is for the best but it sucks that after finding out you have a crush on Josh and helped Heather smuggle boozer onboard for a secret birthday party, I have to shove my shotgun down your mosterfied throat personally and finish the job. I'm sorry.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Tex Murphy: The Tesla Effect has my favorite implementation of Kickstarter backers putting themselves in the game: at several points in the game while exploring environments you'll find things like Employee of the Year displays that are full of actual photographs, and when you inspect them Tex has a unique mocking (or flirtatious, if it's a lady donor) remark for each one.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Assassin's Creed Unity has a hell of a lot wrong with it, but I have to respect Ubisoft for the size of the in-game crowds.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
First time I knew Prey was going to be a great game - for the first part, for no reason, I stole a torch from one of the first NPCs you encounter, and carry it up to the rooftop to take the helicopter. Can't take it in the helicopter with me, whatever, drop it on the ground. go for a ride, enjoy the pregame credits. Get out of the chopper at the destination, and it's lying there at my feet...

Of course it's all in a simulation, the chopper never went anywhere, it's the same building, but YOU don't know that. Then after I broke out of the simulation, read on one of the screens "MAKE SURE YOU PICK UP ANY ITEMS LEFT ON THE ROOFTOP DURING THE TRANSITION PROCEDURE". Everyone's dead, so this did not happen.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

poptart_fairy posted:

One of the DLC bosses in Nioh has a big speech lined up for you when you first enter his arena. Declares his name, who he is, that he'll die before allowing you to stand against his Lord, etc, but you can at any time just attack him and interrupt it - he gets very whiny if you do this, but you get an achievement ("Good Listener") if you stand there and let him finish. :haw:

Arkham Knight has a ton of stuff like that, but no trophies for doing so unfortunately.

In Bionic Commando 2009, the boss fight with Groeder involves him ranting at Spencer inbetween phases of the fight for a minute. If you die to him after reaching that point, the next time you reach the speech you get a prompt to zipkick him in the face and yell at him to shut the gently caress up.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I really need to get around and play that...

Arkham Knight - and Origins' fight with Electricutioner - have a ton of extra dialogue if you let people rant and rave before engaging them. I always find it cute when games include that sort of thing, because an actor is giving a great performance knowing most people will just launch into the punching and negate it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

poptart_fairy posted:

I really need to get around and play that...

Arkham Knight - and Origins' fight with Electricutioner - have a ton of extra dialogue if you let people rant and rave before engaging them. I always find it cute when games include that sort of thing, because an actor is giving a great performance knowing most people will just launch into the punching and negate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVpg0vws10Y

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

iRend posted:

First time I knew Prey was going to be a great game - for the first part, for no reason, I stole a torch from one of the first NPCs you encounter, and carry it up to the rooftop to take the helicopter. Can't take it in the helicopter with me, whatever, drop it on the ground. go for a ride, enjoy the pregame credits. Get out of the chopper at the destination, and it's lying there at my feet...

Of course it's all in a simulation, the chopper never went anywhere, it's the same building, but YOU don't know that. Then after I broke out of the simulation, read on one of the screens "MAKE SURE YOU PICK UP ANY ITEMS LEFT ON THE ROOFTOP DURING THE TRANSITION PROCEDURE". Everyone's dead, so this did not happen.

I was wondering if they had made an error in the helicopter design, due to lack of space for pilot. Surprise! there is not pilot.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
I love that Prey doesn't have experience points. You aren't unlocking doors or hacking computers mostly just to get closer to the next level, you're doing it because there might actually be something helpful on the other side. You level up with neuromods, but there's plenty of non-exploration based ways to get those, including just making them.

Also there's no real immediate morality slider shift when you have to make a decision, and other characters don't really comment on what you do too much. It makes the actual drama of your decisions a lot more meaningful, and I have legit anxiety to see how what I did works out how I planned. My condolences to the 5 souls aboard the Advent.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Morality sliders and points and stuff always take the edge out of decisions like that, and I think it's because it makes it so there's a meta goal to the action so there's a theoretical 'best' choice.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Jukebox Hero posted:

Morality sliders and points and stuff always take the edge out of decisions like that, and I think it's because it makes it so there's a meta goal to the action so there's a theoretical 'best' choice.

Yeah, it becomes less about doing what the game considers the right thing, and more about what you think is the right thing. Once that happens, the player is more easily able to own their actions which gives it more impact.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I will never turn down an opportunity to bring up Alpha Protocol in that regard. Everything had a bonus of some sort attached to it, or was spun to work in the protagonist's favour. With a couple of exceptions there was no optimal relationship or moral element in the missions.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I mean let's get real here. Alpha Protocol is basically little things the game.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

princecoo posted:

Yeah, it becomes less about doing what the game considers the right thing, and more about what you think is the right thing. Once that happens, the player is more easily able to own their actions which gives it more impact.

Freakonomics has a great bit about a childcare centre that decided to start fining parents who showed up late, only to find that the rate of late pickups doubled. Once you put a price on an action, you'll find that people are willing to pay it.

I'm perfectly willing to do an evil act in a game if I know it'll drastically change the plotline, but if the only thing that it'll do is make one character disappointed in me I'll never loving touch it.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
New thing about Prey: not completely terrible AI. I shotgunned an enemy in the face and thought he was done for, while I was taking care of another couple little ones he teleported ahead and crouched behind a medbot dispenser.

The combat music ended, I thought I was in a safe area. Nope, slashed in the face, still alive but need new pants once more.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

poptart_fairy posted:

I will never turn down an opportunity to bring up Alpha Protocol in that regard. Everything had a bonus of some sort attached to it, or was spun to work in the protagonist's favour. With a couple of exceptions there was no optimal relationship or moral element in the missions.

Every single game with both perks and dialogue or morality or really even just stat tracking should tie them together, Alpha Protocol is still unmatched in that category.

I think a lot of modern game design should learn to incentivize the player to continue playing the game: My example is always the saints row 2 traffic cone. They had a hidden minigame for car surfing where you control a balance bar like grinding in a Tony Hawk game, only activated if you stand on a moving car; doing it fully gets you a unique traffic cone hat to wear as a reward for riding cars like a jackass, so you can look like the kind of idiot that rides on the hoods of taxis for in-game hours.

Other games would probably make pedestrians call the police on you for jumping on cars.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Whatever you may think of him, Yahtzee put it very well in his review: not only does Saints Row 2 not stop you from doing all these things, it keeps score.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Another example they have of that is how certain actions are graded and earn you the Respect resource. These can range from eliminating rival gang members, to one of my preferred methods, driving against the flow of traffic.

Always thread the needle on two-lane roads.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I still absolutely love how driving like an rear end in a top hat and taking creative shortcuts actually adds them to the GPS. I'm not sure if I've seen any other open world game make basic navigation its own little minigame of sorts.

Edit: Well, I guess there's Sleeping Dogs' friend leaderboards for driving stunts, but that didn't feed into the main game.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 17:49 on May 9, 2017

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011
I really don't want Saint's Row 5 half as much as I want Saint's Row 2 Remastered.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Achernar posted:

I really don't want Saint's Row 5 half as much as I want Saint's Row 2 Remastered.

Really anything would be better than Crackdown: Borderlands Edition: Starring GI Joes Who gently caress and Flip Off the Camera So You Know They're Badass.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Achernar posted:

Saint's Row 2 But With SR3's Graphics and Gameplay Changes would be great.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

RBA Starblade posted:

:same:

In new vegas I've never even bothered having raul as a companion because getting to him is a pain in the arse but I made an extra special effort this time, danny trejo sounds like he's been dragged off the street and forced to recite his lines at gunpoint but as I was getting to the ghoul infested Repconn facility he suddenly exclaims

"No not me, eat the smoothskin!, oh sorry boss" :D

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I don't recall him being that hard to get. You just have to get to the top of Black Mountain, right?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I found it emotionally difficult to kill Best Friend Tabitha, if that counts.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

rydiafan posted:

I found it emotionally difficult to kill Best Friend Tabitha, if that counts.

You could have repaired Best Friend Rhonda and let them go off peacefully on adventures together. You monster.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Inzombiac posted:

I don't recall him being that hard to get. You just have to get to the top of Black Mountain, right?

Yeah. He's behind a locked door, but you can get the password to the computer that controls it from another computer a couple of feet away. Unlocking his vaquero costume is a bit of a bitch without a walkthrough, because you have to talk to three of the older men in the game (Ranger Andy, Corporal Sterling and Loyal) with Raul in your party. If you've spoken to one of them before recruiting Raul, or if one of a horde of bugs happens, you can't complete the quest. Which is unmarked and has absolutely no hint ingame that it even exists.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

RBA Starblade posted:

Mix the two games' model customization systems and count me the hell in.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Nohman posted:

You could have repaired Best Friend Rhonda and let them go off peacefully on adventures together. You monster.

Either way they stop broadcasting, and I can never not be listening to Black Mountain Radio.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Sunswipe posted:

Yeah. He's behind a locked door, but you can get the password to the computer that controls it from another computer a couple of feet away. Unlocking his vaquero costume is a bit of a bitch without a walkthrough, because you have to talk to three of the older men in the game (Ranger Andy, Corporal Sterling and Loyal) with Raul in your party. If you've spoken to one of them before recruiting Raul, or if one of a horde of bugs happens, you can't complete the quest. Which is unmarked and has absolutely no hint ingame that it even exists.

Oh God yes, I had to reload like 2 hours worth of game play just so I could remedy this. Also remember getting the Pimp-Boy having a similar bug where if you don't talk to some guy at a certain time you can never get it.

Content:
Managed to get the thing I needed in Automata, apparently what was going on is that the enemies do drop the quest items in the red areas more often, they just kept dropping the things I didn't need.
I kinda wish it was more like xenoblade where you walk into an item, you pick it up, because there is no reason not to pick it up. Especially in a game where you will most likely try to upgrade everything.
Also it's a bit of a pain firing/dodging at the same time, my hands aren't used to covering all shoulder buttons at once.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

graybook posted:

Mix the two games' model customization systems and count me the hell in.

Gotta keep in SR2's layered clothing.

If you're gonna rock the traffic cone, you gotta have a safety vest on for the ultimate Safety Man cosplay.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

scarycave posted:

Oh God yes, I had to reload like 2 hours worth of game play just so I could remedy this. Also remember getting the Pimp-Boy having a similar bug where if you don't talk to some guy at a certain time you can never get it.

Content:
Managed to get the thing I needed in Automata, apparently what was going on is that the enemies do drop the quest items in the red areas more often, they just kept dropping the things I didn't need.
I kinda wish it was more like xenoblade where you walk into an item, you pick it up, because there is no reason not to pick it up. Especially in a game where you will most likely try to upgrade everything.
Also it's a bit of a pain firing/dodging at the same time, my hands aren't used to covering all shoulder buttons at once.

You can fully rebind the controls in Automata. I messed around with it a bit and was able to find something that felt a lot more natural.

Speaking of eliminating unnecessary button presses, another tiny thing I love in Prey is that, to search a container, all you have to do is walk up to it and look at it. Given that you're going to be looking through hundreds of crates, cabinets, drawers, and refrigerators in your quest to collect literal garbage and turn it into shotgun shells, streamlining out all those unnecessary inputs makes things feel really smooth.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

scarycave posted:

Once you get to a certain point in the story there's actually a chip that does this for you that you can buy in the resistance camp from some NPCs that show up there.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
SR2 is definitely due an ultra HD or whatever remake/remaster, the PC port is bad (though Gentlemen of the Row is good) and it's apparently not BC with the newest console generation (while SR4 is).

Though I love that it went even more crazy and I kinda want the next installment to be a far future Stillwater with jetpacks and flying cars.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

pulp rag posted:

Gotta keep in SR2's layered clothing.

If you're gonna rock the traffic cone, you gotta have a safety vest on for the ultimate Safety Man cosplay.

In SR3 I had a russian-asian boss and it was pretty silly and fun. In SR2 I had a cockney boss in a full three piece suit with a bowler hat, the pimp cane, and a slight scar on his face and he was a straight psychopath. Absolutely the best thing about that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RBA Starblade posted:

In SR3 I had a russian-asian boss and it was pretty silly and fun. In SR2 I had a cockney boss in a full three piece suit with a bowler hat, the pimp cane, and a slight scar on his face and he was a straight psychopath. Absolutely the best thing about that game.

I am deeply saddened that the Pimp Cane never made it into the sequels, because it was the best weapon in the game. When you walked with it out, you actually walked with a pimpin' swagger yo :allears:.