Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

I mean what's he supposed to do

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Phanatic posted:

It's for sufficiently-low values of "nuclear waste" and "emergency evacuation."

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2017/05/emergency_reported_at_hanford.html

No released contamination/activity has been detected. Tunnel with old contaminated poo poo collapsed. That's pretty much all. I imagine they'll put a couple tons of dirt on it and worry about it later. There isn't any nuclear material in those tunnels. They are these old railroad tunnels that were built next to a giant radiochemical processing plant. Whenever they'd have a bunch of hot equipment (contaminated), they'd shove it into these tunnels. They're a few hundred feet long and very shallow.

Circled is the entrance to the tunnel.

I've seen various news comment sections worry about the jet stream spreading untold amounts of radioactive doom all the way to Massachusetts. It's hilariously dumb.
DOE Update:

quote:

As we noted in an earlier CNS message, the Hanford Site’s 200 East Area is under a take cover after an Alert was declared. Here’s an update from Hanford at 10:37:

DOE activated the Hanford Emergency Operations Center at 8:26 a.m., after an alert was declared. Officials are responding to reports of a cave-in of a 20-foot section of a tunnel that is hundreds of feet long that is used to store contaminated materials. The tunnel is located next to the Plutonium Uranium Extraction Facility, also known as PUREX, which is located in the center of the Hanford Site in an area known as the 200 East Area. There is no indication of a release of contamination at this point, Crews are continuing to survey the area for contamination.

Actions taken to protect site employees include:
• As a precaution, workers in the vicinity of the PUREX facility as well as the Hanford Site north of the Wye Barricade (southern entrance to the site) have been told to shelter in-place
• Access to the 200 East Area of the Hanford Site, which is located in the center of the Hanford Site, has been restricted to protect employees
Hanford is providing updates at their Hanford.gov website. Click on the Hanford Emergency (red) banner at the top.

At PNNL, we have modified operations in the 3425 Building (Shallow Underground Laboratory) as a precautionary measure to protect the ultra-low-level detection research capability. As noted by Hanford, at this time there is no indication of a release of contamination.

Edit: Pic of tunnel and collapsed area:

https://twitter.com/AnnaKingN3/status/862025311713501184

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 9, 2017

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

i suddenly feel like bolting a dumpster to the pavement then sitting back to watch the fun

Jake Mustache
Feb 7, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GsSMfLYIQg

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I feel it's pretty relevant to mention that the current Secretary of Energy, who is responsible for sites like Hanford, initially thought his job was going to be about promoting American coal and oil and was quite surprised to learn about all the nuclear stuff. After he accepted the job.

Basically what I'm saying is we'll probably start seeing a lot of stuff worse than this.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

TotalLossBrain posted:

No released contamination/activity has been detected. Tunnel with old contaminated poo poo collapsed. That's pretty much all. I imagine they'll put a couple tons of dirt on it and worry about it later. There isn't any nuclear material in those tunnels. They are these old railroad tunnels that were built next to a giant radiochemical processing plant. Whenever they'd have a bunch of hot equipment (contaminated), they'd shove it into these tunnels. They're a few hundred feet long and very shallow.

It's probably nothing to be alarmed about in the moment, but it does give us yet another example of a Hanford structural fuckup. That place is a disaster waiting to happen, though the worst that could probably happen is a major release of radioactivity into the Columbia River. They've already had problems with waste meeting groundwater in some of the underground storage facilities. And insects. Wasn't it ants carrying radioactivity around the city some decades ago?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

It's probably nothing to be alarmed about in the moment, but it does give us yet another example of a Hanford structural fuckup. That place is a disaster waiting to happen, though the worst that could probably happen is a major release of radioactivity into the Columbia River. They've already had problems with waste meeting groundwater in some of the underground storage facilities. And insects. Wasn't it ants carrying radioactivity around the city some decades ago?

Mud wasps - and I am pretty sure that was the only incident like that. Occasionally techs find contaminated tumble weeds, rabbits, and rats. But that's pretty rare.

The single shell tanks have been past their design life for decades. The double shell tanks are just now passing their design life span and at least one of them has started leaking. Groundwater movement to the river is very well monitored. The existing contamination of the Columbia didn't come from leaking tanks. It was a result of operating a bunch of plutonium production reactors with open-loop, single-pass cooling from the river. :allears: 14k curies released each day in the heyday of operations.
But you're right - the tanks are falling apart with the vitrification plant still at least a decade from operating. And even when it starts, there's no guarantee it will work. There are some, umm problems.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Humerus posted:

I feel it's pretty relevant to mention that the current Secretary of Energy, who is responsible for sites like Hanford, initially thought his job was going to be about promoting American coal and oil and was quite surprised to learn about all the nuclear stuff. After he accepted the job.

Basically what I'm saying is we'll probably start seeing a lot of stuff worse than this.
Most nuclear policy is old enough to have a mid life crisis and buy a corvette. I don't think executive policy meddling is going to move that needle much in another 40 years because its a clusterfuck where any barest whisp of a change loses voters just by bringing it back into the news cycle.

Platystemon posted:

I won’t get in a plane that has only one human pilot, let alone zero.
Yet if you're talking about being a passenger on an airline you also won't get in a plane that has no electronics which the pilots defer decision making to with the operative action that makes some people feel better and some people feel worse is the pilot decides when the electronics is making sense or not.

The whole conversation is at kind of a dumb circling impasse because there's a thought process that shows how humans make the bad decisions when the computer makes the good decisions and there's another that shows how humans make the good decisions when the computer makes the bad decisions and by the time the FMEA finishes in 10 years and decides who is right more percent of the time its all going to be outdated.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89xQhQxRTrk

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Humerus posted:

Sorry, that's nonsense. He was the governor of Texas, where Pantex is located, you can bet the governor of the state where our nuclear weapons are actually manufactured is aware of the DOE's role in that. The very day he was nominated, he stated that he was eager to "safeguard our nuclear arsenal." What you're referring to was a false story, a claim from an unnamed source with nothing to back it up and plenty to contradict it:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/01/the-times-may-have-launched-a-false-rumor-about-rick-perry.html

Note that that's NY Magazine, not Brietbart or WND or any nonsense like that.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Phanatic posted:

Sorry, that's nonsense. He was the governor of Texas, where Pantex is located, you can bet the governor of the state where our nuclear weapons are actually manufactured is aware of the DOE's role in that. The very day he was nominated, he stated that he was eager to "safeguard our nuclear arsenal." What you're referring to was a false story, a claim from an unnamed source with nothing to back it up and plenty to contradict it:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/01/the-times-may-have-launched-a-false-rumor-about-rick-perry.html

Well then, fake news it seems. I'm sure it's just a matter of time that he tries to deregulate something and it leads to some new content for the thread, though.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Phanatic posted:

Rick Perry can't count to three. he is definitely too stupid to have either understood the briefing or paid attention to it

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Phanatic posted:

There is a whole lot more to DOE's nuclear role than weapons, which is what Pantex is (which is also still active, another rarity in the DOE complex).
The far larger part is cleanup and remediation at former sites all over the country. From what I've seen (local media, internal memos), he knew zilch about that part of DOE's mission.
However, he seems eager to learn about it and doesn't seem to be doing as badly as the rest of Trump's picks, so there's that. Not that it's a high bar to clear.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 10, 2017

kierrie
Jun 7, 2010
lol this is some crazy poo poo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59O5O7TBLII&t=428s

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I like that truck just haulin' rear end in there at high speed.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

yes, and they taste delicious

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

zedprime posted:

Yet if you're talking about being a passenger on an airline you also won't get in a plane that has no electronics which the pilots defer decision making to with the operative action that makes some people feel better and some people feel worse is the pilot decides when the electronics is making sense or not.

The whole conversation is at kind of a dumb circling impasse because there's a thought process that shows how humans make the bad decisions when the computer makes the good decisions and there's another that shows how humans make the good decisions when the computer makes the bad decisions and by the time the FMEA finishes in 10 years and decides who is right more percent of the time its all going to be outdated.

The computer vs. human conflict had caused at least one major air traffic accident: in 2002, there was a midair collision between a Russian jet carrying schoolchildren and a DHL plane carrying cargo. It happened like this:

The airplanes had somehow carelessly been assigned overlapping routes, and some time before the crash, both the onboard computers and a human flight controller noticed this. The flight controller ordered: plane A sink, plane B pull up. The computers ordered: plane A pull up, plane B sink. The Russian crew decided to listen to the person, while the British DHL pilot decided to listen to the computer. 71 people died.

And this is how we learned that cultural differences are deadly: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9Cberlingen_mid-air_collision

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
More like traffic control cost-cutting is deadly.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

just the video thumbnail is making me clench my hands

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
lmao a bight isn't a hazard it's a non-malleable loop in a line come ON

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

https://youtu.be/AIa7WhN60Bk?t=35

snapback son!

That lead me to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xonGATVbnTw&t=96s

JB50 fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 10, 2017

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Phanatic posted:

He got a D in Meats. And its not far fetched considering he forgot it existed when calling for its destruction and didn't know what it did back in like 2010 or something who knows anymore we are in a post escalator timeline where nothing matters.

But he did get a D in his Meats class.

And thats funny.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ramadu posted:

Meats class.

Please elaborate on this for the viewers who think that it can't possibly mean what they think it does.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Memento posted:

Please elaborate on this for the viewers who think that it can't possibly mean what they think it does.

quote:

The online syllabus for Texas A&M University's contemporary "Meats" course, ANSC 307 Meats, describes it as the integrated study of "the production of meat-type animals and the science and technology of their conversion to human food." Topics include "Meat inspection," "Kosher and halal," "Meat tenderness," "Meat color," while laboratories include "Pork evaluation" and "Ham manufacturing."

In an email to Mic, course instructor Dr. Jeffrey Savell explained ANSC 307 Meats is an advanced science class requiring students to demonstrate understanding of animal biology as well as regulatory and safety requirements in meat production.

"Animal Science 307 is a rigorous upper level science course that covers growth and development of food animals; antemortem and postmortem factors affecting meat quality; USDA inspection and regulatory requirements for the harvest and processing of livestock and muscle tissue; and the chemistry of meat color and preservation," Dr. Savell wrote.

https://mic.com/articles/162340/future-energy-secretary-rick-perry-got-a-d-in-a-college-class-called-meats#.4gsZKgC7q

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

yeah so what its on his transcript as MEATS

and he got a D in MEATS lmao

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Looking at that transcript is amazing. Somehow a dude whose college record makes him vaguely qualified to be a cattle farmer is in charge of the scientific advancement of energy supply and the radioactive waste disposal of the largest economy in the world.

Counting his grades, he has 9 Bs, 15 Cs and 5 Ds. Napkin math and my vague understanding of the way US colleges figure things out gets him a GPA of less than 2.2

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Memento posted:

Looking at that transcript is amazing. Somehow a dude whose college record makes him vaguely qualified to be a cattle farmer is in charge of the scientific advancement of energy supply and the radioactive waste disposal of the largest economy in the world.

Li Keqiang actually has a LLB as well as a PhD in economics.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

A worker is caught on a cable spooling machine, pretty bad but not as bad as I expected

(modnote: :nms: :nws: apparently)

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c5a_1494366041

Seems like it takes folks an awful long time to hit the e-stop, if there is one.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 10, 2017

shiftless
May 18, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

A worker is caught on a cable spooling machine, pretty bad but not as bad as I expected

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c5a_1494366041

Seems like it takes folks an awful long time to hit the e-stop, if there is one.

That is actually pretty bad. At least :nms: or :nws: that because some people just don't want to watch a corpse flying around for about a minute.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

pidan posted:

And this is how we learned that cultural differences are deadly: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9Cberlingen_mid-air_collision

quote:

Devastated by the loss of his wife and two children aboard flight 2937, Vitaly Kaloyev, a Russian architect, held Peter Nielsen responsible for their deaths. He tracked down and stabbed Nielsen to death, in the presence of his wife and three children, at his home in Kloten, near Zürich, on 24 February 2004.[19][25] The Swiss police arrested Kaloyev at a local motel shortly after, and he was sentenced to prison for the murder in 2005. He was released in November 2007 because his mental condition was not sufficiently considered in the initial sentence. In January 2008, he was appointed deputy construction minister of North Ossetia.[26]

:stonklol:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Memento posted:

Counting his grades, he has 9 Bs, 15 Cs and 5 Ds. Napkin math and my vague understanding of the way US colleges figure things out gets him a GPA of less than 2.2
I had a better GPA than Rick Perry, that's sad and funny at the same time.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shiftless posted:

That is actually pretty bad. At least :nms: or :nws: that because some people just don't want to watch a corpse flying around for about a minute.

Not straight up as crazy as that man who got spun in to elastic man who flowed into a gutter, but I think by the end his skin was coming off or something as the floor was getting more red with each rotation.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Elendil004 posted:

just how bad were you expecting?? :stare:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nenonen posted:

just how bad were you expecting?? :stare:

There's another video of a guy having that happen to him. He whips around so fast that he becomes a naked, flesh-colored blur and splorts to the ground in a way that suggests that literally every bone in his body was turned to powder.

His only hope is that his spine was severed shortly after he passed out from the g-forces, or from having his head repeatedly smashed against the concrete.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

chitoryu12 posted:

There's another video of a guy having that happen to him. He whips around so fast that he becomes a naked, flesh-colored blur

To add insult to injury, if he survives he's going to get written up for being out of uniform

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

pidan posted:

quote:

Two years after the crash, Peter Nielsen, the air traffic controller on duty at the time of the collision, was murdered in an apparent act of revenge, by Vitaly Kaloyev, a Russian citizen who had lost his wife and two children in the accident.

:stare:

EDIT:

quote:

Devastated by the loss of his wife and two children aboard flight 2937, Vitaly Kaloyev, a Russian architect, held Peter Nielsen responsible for their deaths. He tracked down and stabbed Nielsen to death, in the presence of his wife and three children, at his home in Kloten, near Zürich, on 24 February 2004.[19][25] The Swiss police arrested Kaloyev at a local motel shortly after, and he was sentenced to prison for the murder in 2005. He was released in November 2007 because his mental condition was not sufficiently considered in the initial sentence. In January 2008, he was appointed deputy construction minister of North Ossetia.

:stonk:

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 10, 2017

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

That's where this turns into PYF unnerving story:

Wikipedia posted:

Kaloyev presented a document received from a law firm in Hamburg dated 11 November 2003. It was an agreement in which Skyguide offered him 60,000 Swiss francs for the death of his wife and 50,000 francs for the death of each of his two children. In return, Skyguide asked Kaloyev to decline any claims to the company. The document infuriated the man: he decided to meet the company director Alan Rossier and Nielsen in person.[citation needed]

"Apparently he did not expect that he would have to answer for the results of his work," Kaloyev said. "He murmured something to me. Then I showed him some pictures of my children and said: "They were my children. What would you feel if you saw your children in coffins? I was infuriated about Skyguide's initiative to haggle over my dead children."[citation needed]

Kaloyev wanted Nielsen to apologize to him for the death of his family. "He hit me on the hand, when I was holding the envelope with the photographs of my children. I only remember that I had a very disturbing feeling, as if the bodies of my children were turning over in their graves" he said.[citation needed]

Kaloyev offered no explanation of why he brought the murder weapon with him on a peaceful errand and has denied the killing.[6]

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Looks really fun actually. MEAT SCIENCE

edit:

Memento posted:

GR PTS (grade points) divided by Hours attempted give him a 2.129 for the courses listed on that transcript.

doubleedit: When I was at A&M over a decade ago those grades wouldn't be enough to graduate from the business school. No idea about the MEAT school.

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
At my college the Meat Sciences building was placed between a dorm and a cemetery...