Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

wow. That's loving Gorell levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

actualnazipuncheswomanintheface.jpg
Alternatively, colbertpunchestrumpintheface.jpg

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's actually an improvement.

jesus

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

The right is really grasping at anything that might distract from their support of card carrying neo-Nazis, huh?

:perfect:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

A lot of people on the left are criticizing the use of homophobic humor for cheap laughs at Trump, so at least they don't die on the hill of defending their own.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Pants Donkey posted:

A lot of people on the left are criticizing the use of homophobic humor for cheap laughs at Trump, so at least they don't die on the hill of defending their own.

That level of nuance doesn't fit into two hastily scribbled panels

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Did something happen recently in Puerto Rico or is this more 'Ramirez doesn't want to acknowledge the flaming turd the republican party is now'?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Technowolf posted:

Did something happen recently in Puerto Rico or is this more 'Ramirez doesn't want to acknowledge the flaming turd the republican party is now'?
http://observer.com/2017/05/puerto-ricos-debt-crisis-us-promesa/

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Technowolf posted:

A few days ago it filed for kinda- sorta- bankruptcy protection under 2016 legislation allowing it to do so.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So for a conservative cartoonist, "hate speech" is insulting the President and/or his stooges. (But only when the President is a Republican, obviously.)

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

Pants Donkey posted:

gently caress the Tumblr crowd; Colbert's use of "cock holster" wasn't homophobic.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Pants Donkey posted:

I don't understand why it's homophobic. It's someone servicing someone else. I think people complaining about that aspect are either concern trolling or just don't like Colbert and are grasping at anything they can.

e:f,b sorta.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

itskage posted:

I don't understand why it's homophobic. It's someone servicing someone else. I think people complaining about that aspect are either concern trolling or just don't like Colbert and are grasping at anything they can.

e:f,b sorta.

It's "haha, isn't gay sex funny? Having sex with men makes you weak and laughable." It's trite and stopped being funny in the 90s

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Yeah, there's definitely a homophobic aspect to it, and considering other cases like all the liberals plastering that Putin caricature everywhere, it seems worthwhile to call people out on weaponizing homophobia.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

How soon will we be seeing Comey Cartoons?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's "haha, isn't gay sex funny? Having sex with men makes you weak and laughable." It's trite and stopped being funny in the 90s

You think that's what they wanted you laugh about though? The gay aspect and not just trump being subservient to putin? I think you have to read into it to find it being a gay joke, and I definitely don't think they intended for that to be the funny part of the punchline.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Everybody shut up about cock holsters: Trump just fired the director of the FBI.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Everybody shut up about cock holsters: Trump just fired the director of the FBI.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I was just thinking I hadn't seen all that many Trump = Nixon cartoons.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Lol at anyone stupid enough to think that a joke about two politicians having sex is homophobic just because they both happen to be the same sex.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

To summarize:

A guy being investigated just fired the guy in charge of the investigation, at the recommendation of a guy who had to recuse himself from the investigation because he was implicated in it

The third guy, in a letter explaining why the investigator needed to be fired, cited something which a lot of people consider to be a big reason the first guy has the power to fire anyone in the first place. Oh, and that guy is the President of the United States.

stranger than fiction

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

I think if I sent this line back in time, I'd think it was a joke. But modern politics, here we are

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

itskage posted:

You think that's what they wanted you laugh about though? The gay aspect and not just trump being subservient to putin? I think you have to read into it to find it being a gay joke, and I definitely don't think they intended for that to be the funny part of the punchline.

I don't give a poo poo what Colbert intended, there's a million ways he could have made a joke about Trump being Putin's puppet without resorting to calling a violently homophobic dictator gay.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

It is though. Like not outright, blatant homophobia, but the context of suggesting that one man is sexually subservient to another as a derogatory insult cannot be without a level of homophobia inherent to it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

thanks alot assbag posted:

I think if I sent this line back in time, I'd think it was a joke. But modern politics, here we are

Honestly, if you sent what I just typed back to me two years ago I would worry that future me might have had a stroke because that's the most logical explanation for me writing that gibberish.

And yet, somehow, things ended up happening that made my last post make perfect sense in context.

This is the darkest timeline.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Hate speech apparently means using THE FORBIDDEN PROFANITIES instead of y'know speech hateful toward a minority.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Trogdos! posted:

This is from Garrison's election art book. Why do conservative cartoonists insist on slapping their political beliefs on dead people?

If this is from the election period, could it be that it's a reference to Warhol's comment about everyone being famous for fifteen minutes?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

I don't give a poo poo what Colbert intended, there's a million ways he could have made a joke about Trump being Putin's puppet without resorting to calling a violently homophobic dictator gay.

albany academy posted:

It is though. Like not outright, blatant homophobia, but the context of suggesting that one man is sexually subservient to another as a derogatory insult cannot be without a level of homophobia inherent to it.

Seriously shut up. This is not homophobia. Stating that two politicians are in bed with each other is not some new concept. The fact they are two men does not somehow make it homophobic. You're either projecting or seriously an idiot.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Internet Webguy posted:

Happy Tuesday!

Secretary of the Interior

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Alot of these cartoonists have an extremely poor understanding of what freedom of speech is. Can't tell if it's willful ignorance or genuine stupidity.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

RodShaft posted:

Secretary of the Posterior

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

How the hell would you explain this image to someone who'd recently come out of a coma?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Me in October 2016: Man I hope Comey gets fired for that e-mail bullshit at the end of the election campaign.
A finger curls on the monkey paw

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

21 Muns posted:

How the hell would you explain this image to someone who'd recently come out of a coma?

It's a broken image for me.

Fix'd

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Anidav posted:

It's a broken image for me.

Fix'd

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Garrison's never going to mention Le Pen again, is he?

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Electric Phantasm posted:

How soon will we be seeing Comey Cartoons?

Ann Coulter gives us a preview of the Garrison/Branco cartoons:

https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/status/862072444852588545

https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/status/862074707302125568

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I feel like Garrison is going to be all "Comey is part of the ~*~DEEP STATE~*~, drain the swamp MAGA 1488".

• Locked thread