Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OrganicAnkleSocks
Dec 5, 2005
I hadn't even heard this game was coming out 'til recently, and pretty much dismissed it based on the name (I was thinking of the much delayed 90s game, and forgot that it came out in 2006). But then I read a "review in progress" somewhere that said it was an immersive sim-style game, and that it was decent, so I bought it and have been enjoying it a lot.

So far, most the enemies are named "???" even when I've fought that type before. What does it take to give them a name?

I hope some of the later enemies are different; so far I'm mostly encountering sentient toad turds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Did the devs not really call for play testing much? You can jump down the elevator and live with the booster pack but there's no way up from that point LOL

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kontradaz posted:

Did the devs not really call for play testing much? You can jump down the elevator and live with the booster pack but there's no way up from that point LOL

You have a gun that allows you to climb any wall.

edit: Unless the inside of the elevator ricochets your shots off like some rounded surfaces do, in which case you're boned. How did you get inside the elevator in the first place??

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Kontradaz posted:

I've gone up plenty of broken elevators with the glue gun and jumping.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Ending question: Is there any ending which doesn't result with Earth being totally hosed by the Typhon?

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

CJacobs posted:

You have a gun that allows you to climb any wall.

edit: Unless the inside of the elevator ricochets your shots off like some rounded surfaces do, in which case you're boned. How did you get inside the elevator in the first place??

I guess that's true, would just take a long rear end time and the collision is all funky so not sure if it would work. Thankfully I quicksaved before. Also you can just press the door button and it opens the doors without the elevator being there, at least for the lobby.

Also why is there no way to make security terminals just show me a list of people who are currently in that region?? I have to scroll through like 10 different people lists to find people that are in my map region every time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gunder posted:

Ending question: Is there any ending which doesn't result with Earth being totally hosed by the Typhon?

Nope, it happened long before the game's events even started. Long before the framing device that makes up the ending, even.

Kontradaz posted:

I guess that's true, would just take a long rear end time and the collision is all funky so not sure if it would work. Thankfully I quicksaved before. Also you can just press the door button and it opens the doors without the elevator being there, at least for the lobby.

Really? That seems like a glitch. Usually when I press the button the door won't open until it actually arrives.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

there are a few spaces wherein I think you could get legit hosed in, namely anywhere you need to squeeze in as a cup. If you ran out of Psi you'd have no way to get out of some of those rooms lol.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I've beaten the game and one thing I don't understand is what hacking turrets accomplishes?
For me any turret i find won't shoot me unless a technopath got to it.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Nope, it happened long before the game's events even started. Long before the framing device that makes up the ending, even.

Really? That seems like a glitch. Usually when I press the button the door won't open until it actually arrives.

Crap, I totally failed to spot that aspect.

I noticed that there was one variation of that post-credits scene that led to a human looking arm being present when you can shake Alex's hand instead of a clearly black Typhon arm. What choice precipitates that change?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

I've beaten the game and one thing I don't understand is what hacking turrets accomplishes?

I assumed the turrets would start blasting you if you used the Typhon neuromods.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Gunder posted:

Crap, I totally failed to spot that aspect.

I noticed that there was one variation of that post-credits scene that led to a human looking arm being present when you can shake Alex's hand instead of a clearly black Typhon arm. What choice precipitates that change?

i'm betting not buying any of the typhon powers.

i didn't and i got that.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Roobanguy posted:

i'm betting not buying any of the typhon powers.

i didn't and i got that.

I don't think that can be it, as I certainly didn't use any of them and still got it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CJacobs posted:

ya, which seems to retroactively justify January's insistence on destroying the station and everyone on it

Did anyone see the quest about the shuttle landing in Seattle, btw? Not much to it, but it was a fun sudden decision to make.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You get the option to hack turrets even if they're friendly, does that do anything

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Gunder posted:

I don't think that can be it, as I certainly didn't use any of them and still got it.

maybe it has to do with your empathy score too? i got told mine was extremely high.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Kraftwerk posted:

If you've got too many typhon mods they shoot you. Also, I think you can preemptively hack them to keep them from turning against you in case a techno path shows up?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Roobanguy posted:

maybe it has to do with your empathy score too? i got told mine was extremely high.

Maybe. I got that too, with Typhon mods: Black noodly arms.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Roobanguy posted:

i beat it in like 18 hours. all the sidequests that i could find were finished.

I must be slow at this. I'm at 19 and I haven't scanned the outside coral yet.
I'm guessing that's before I meet some person named Dahl?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Roobanguy posted:

Nope, I didn't use a single Typhon mod and did the same as you (even got the cheevo for it!) and still had that happen.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Malek posted:

I must be slow at this. I'm at 19 and I haven't scanned the outside coral yet.
I'm guessing that's before I meet some person named Dahl?

you're super close to the end. maybe an hour or 2 at most.

CJacobs posted:

Nope, I didn't use a single Typhon mod and did the same as you (even got the cheevo for it!) and still had that happen.

maybe it also has to do with the ending you chose? I also blew up the station and got human arm hand shake.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Roobanguy posted:

maybe it also has to do with the ending you chose? I also blew up the station and got human arm hand shake.

Ah, that might be it. I did the opposite.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

I wasn't interested in this game originally because I thought it'd be horror and I'm usually a big baby and don't touch jumpscare/horror games. But I picked it up since I was hearing it was good and not actually horror and I wanted something new to play and now I'm 8 hours in and really liking it so far. I never played system shock and I didn't care for bioshock enough to ever finish it. I did love portal though and I can see a little bit of similarity with that. I really haven't found it scary or tense at all and I love that it's pretty well lit.

What's the deal with the security station computer quests to locate people though? I clicked them all and it spammed that it added new objectives for them or something but it only shows one in my journal thing. Are they the same at all the stations? I've found a lot of named corpses but I don't get any update that I've found someone.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Turbl posted:

I wasn't interested in this game originally because I thought it'd be horror and I'm usually a big baby and don't touch jumpscare/horror games. But I picked it up since I was hearing it was good and not actually horror and I wanted something new to play and now I'm 8 hours in and really liking it so far. I never played system shock and I didn't care for bioshock enough to ever finish it. I did love portal though and I can see a little bit of similarity with that. I really haven't found it scary or tense at all and I love that it's pretty well lit.

What's the deal with the security station computer quests to locate people though? I clicked them all and it spammed that it added new objectives for them or something but it only shows one in my journal thing. Are they the same at all the stations? I've found a lot of named corpses but I don't get any update that I've found someone.

clicking on a person in the security computers show's where they are, but you can only have 1 active at a time. usually you use it to find people involved in quests.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Turbl posted:

The security stations are used for finding specific people, in case you ever want or need to do that. They have no purpose otherwise.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Oh okay thanks I thought it wanted me to go find them for some reason.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

For your health.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

I'm really happy the game let me do this.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Tempted to put that in the op under the heading "controversial ending". But no.

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.
This game is superb. My complaints are so minimal they're not even worth mentioning. God bless you, Arkane and Bethesda.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Tempted to put that in the op under the heading "controversial ending". But no.

It's where the story comes to a head.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Malek posted:

Kind of a choppy resolution, isn't it?

Just slices away a little before the peak.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Man, gently caress you Josh Dalton. You seemed like an rear end in a top hat from your e-mails and trying to find you is a real pain

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Malek posted:

It's Apache way to go :v:

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

It's Apache way to go :v:

These puns are spinning out of control.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Say what you will about the sound mixing but the music is just amazing.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
For those of us on PC, what FOV are you using? In most games the FOV slider also scales the elements of your character model, like weapons and some elements of the UI. Not so much here, hopefully Arkane fixes that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

A lot of folks just carry banana peels with them while working, is this like Demolition Man and the three shells

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

For those of us on PC, what FOV are you using? In most games the FOV slider also scales the elements of your character model, like weapons and some elements of the UI. Not so much here, hopefully Arkane fixes that.

Too lazy to edit an ini file so whatever the default FOV is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Anti-Hero posted:

I set mine to 100.