Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

JawKnee posted:

seems like this is all gravy for the devils - does Kovalchuk have to do a sign and trade through them?

if he wants to play in the NHL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

T-Bone posted:

if he wants to play in the NHL

so they got out of a bad contract, and now may get picks/prospects/players for, essentially, nothing? I mean, yeah they're giving up Kovalchuk... but they already did that 4 years ago, and wouldn't want him back now anyhow.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

JawKnee posted:

seems like this is all gravy for the devils - does Kovalchuk have to do a sign and trade through them?

No, technically he could sign with any team if all 30 (or 31 I guess) GMs sign off on it, but that's not going to happen.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Technically they lost a 3rd rounder, and dropped like 16 spots or so in the 2014 1st round.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Jamwad Hilder posted:

when they inevitably trade Pastrnak I'm going to stop watching this stupid team forever

This is seriously my single greatest fear and I'm just hoping beyond all hope that a dumb loving move like that is a chiarelli thing and not a neely thing and that sweeny would never do this.

Plz. :ohdear:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

T-Bone posted:

Technically they lost a 3rd rounder, and dropped like 16 spots or so in the 2014 1st round.

I forgot about that stuff - I suppose those two could have amounted to a player/prospect a few years down the line

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kovy will end up in Toronto

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Duke Chin posted:

This is seriously my single greatest fear and I'm just hoping beyond all hope that a dumb loving move like that is a chiarelli thing and not a neely thing and that sweeny would never do this.

Plz. :ohdear:

I seriously could not imagine wanting to watch this team if they trade him. He's gonna be a star. I really liked Seguin but not as much as I like Pasta, dunno why.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
N: Ben Bishop's UFA bargaining rights reportedly being traded to Dallas for a 4th.

V: If they can find a way to sign him and ditch the two-headed monster of Lehtonen/Niemi, I feel like this makes the Stars a contender by itself.

edit: official before I could even finish making the post
https://twitter.com/DallasStars/status/862058177654910976

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
wonder how much dallas is bribing lv to pick one of niemi/lethonen

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

fits posted:

wonder how much dallas is bribing lv to pick one of niemi/lethonen

My thought as well

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Yaya posted:

N: Ben Bishop's UFA bargaining rights reportedly being traded to Dallas for a 4th.

V: If they can find a way to sign him and ditch the two-headed monster of Lehtonen/Niemi, I feel like this makes the Stars a contender by itself.

edit: official before I could even finish making the post
https://twitter.com/DallasStars/status/862058177654910976

That's a good deal for the Stars.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
*kicks down the door*

I AM PTEPARED TO HATE [insert goalie here] HALF AS MUCH AS I HATE NIEMI AND LEHTONEN

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

*kicks down the door*

I AM PTEPARED TO HATE [insert goalie here] HALF AS MUCH AS I HATE NIEMI AND LEHTONEN

Lol

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
It's gonna be really funny when Bishop gets hurt a month in and they gotta ride Lehtonen and...Jack Campbell?? I don't even know who their AHL goalie is.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Campbell is with LA right now.

Interesting story about that actually:

quote:

EL SEGUNDO, CA — Back in June 2010, the hottest goaltending prospect was Jack Campbell, who played in major junior hockey in Canada and in the United States National Team Development Program (USNTDP).
Campbell ended up being selected by the Dallas Stars in the first round (11th overall) in that draft, held at Staples Center in Los Angeles—he was the Stars’ goaltender of the future.
But almost immediately, things began to go south for the 6-2, 197-pound native of Port Huron, Michigan. Indeed, since he was drafted, Campbell was hot and cold with the Texas Stars of the American Hockey League. He even bounced back and forth between the Texas Stars and the ECHL’s Idaho Steelheads in the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons.
In short, the Stars’ goaltender of the future was anything but.
“I just kinda lost my identity, as a goalie, for a long time,” said Campbell, now 24 years old. “I had a couple of good years along the way, but a lot of really inconsistent years.”
“For me to have success, I like having a foundation,” added Campbell. “I didn’t have one for six years, or so. Dallas tried their best to help me, [not to mention] different people along the way. But that consistency of being there all the time—that’s how goaltending is. If your details aren’t good every single night, you’re not going to have success.”
“My foundation, my game—I was thinking way too much out there. I was second guessing myself because I didn’t have a foundation.”
In terms of goaltending, what’s a “foundation?”
“It’s really basic,” he explained. “It’s your stance, your movement in the net—the details. Having awareness on the ice, your communication, where your hands are at.”
“[With the Kings], we’ll watch video from our goalie sessions in practice and breakdown everything from my stance to my glove positioning, my movement, my details with my awareness, my depth in the net—everything,” he elaborated. “The smallest thing adds so much to my game. So many pieces of my game were non-existent.”
Every National Hockey League team handles their goaltenders differently. Some, like the Kings, have a full-time coach at the NHL level and one who is virtually a full-time goaltending coach at the AHL level. For other teams, it runs the gamut from full-time at both levels to part-time at both levels, and with the Stars, Campbell did not get the time with their goaltending coaches that he probably needed.
“I had two great coaches in Dallas, Mike Valley and Jeff Reese,” he emphasized. “I really enjoyed working with those two guys. It’s just unfortunate that I didn’t get the consistency with them. I didn’t see them enough.”
“I’m the first guy to say that it’s my fault that I didn’t play well enough to make the Dallas Stars,” he added. “I know what I was and what I can be, still. I just didn’t get the job done. If I would have, I would’ve been able to work with those guys every single day.”
But did the pressure of being such a high, first round draft pick weigh on him?
“He’s moved on from the Dallas organization where there was all this expectation, and I don’t know that it was from the organization,” said Kings goaltending coach Bill Ranford. “It may have been him putting pressure on himself to be the guy, having been such a high, first round draft pick.”
Campbell acknowledged that he did indeed put pressure on himself, but he said that being a high, first round pick was not the reason. Rather, it was his own lofty expectations that he failed to meet, most notably, thinking that he would make the Stars roster in his draft year.
“My own expectations are always way higher than other people’s, so that didn’t weigh on me,” he insisted. “It’s not like I thought people had me ranked too high [in the 2010 draft], or something like that. But when I was 18 years old, I expected to make the Dallas Stars. Only a few guys have ever done that, and when I didn’t make it, I think that kind of threw me off, mentally.”
“If you look around the league, there are guys who are really young, but they’re mature, mentally,” he added. “They can overcome things and they have success at a young age. For me, it took me awhile to understand that. I didn’t know how to handle adversity because everything ran so smoothly [in his career] up to the draft. Getting cut by the Stars was the first thing I [failed] to do, and that really threw me off.”
“They always say that goalies take a little longer [to develop]. I don’t like saying that, but at the end of the day, I’m seeing that it does take longer.”
After six seasons in the Stars organization, Campbell had, for all intents and purposes, hit rock bottom and was no longer in their plans. But the Kings, who had a huge void in their system, in terms of depth in goal, came calling, so they sent Campbell to the Kings in exchange for defenseman prospect Nick Ebert on June 25, 2016.
Campbell welcomed the fresh start.
“The turning point was getting traded here,” he beamed. “Right away, I saw the impact that Billy and [Dusty Imoo, who handles goaltender development for the Kings] made on my game.”
“To get traded here and to have Billy and Dusty, and then be part of a great organization that plays with structure, it really helps my game. I feel really good.”
Campbell’s issues with expectations and putting pressure on himself are also things he’s working on.
“One of my biggest flaws is that I’m really hard on myself and I’m trying to settle down with that,” Campbell noted. “Dusty has really helped me with just trying to relax and have fun. It’s easier said than done, but now I am having fun, and I’ve been more successful because of it.”
“He doesn’t have to worry about [the pressure to be a franchise’s goaltender of the future] now,” said Ranford. “It’s just getting his game on track and proving that he can work his way to the NHL.”
Already, Campbell is showing signs of getting his game back on track.
“There’s a bunch of things that eight-year olds were better than me at [last] year,” he observed, only half-joking. “But we really hammered them out and worked hard at it. It took a little bit, but not too long. I had a good training camp, and a good couple of [pre-season] games, so it shows already, even though I know I can get a lot better. I know I’m not even close to reaching my potential, so I’m working hard every day.”
Campbell also pointed to the different coaching style and techniques that Ranford and Imoo employ as being beneficial.
“We look at my game, not anybody else’s game,” said Campbell. “Before, I was coached [based] on other [goalie’s] games, leading me in a different direction. When I was with the USNTDP, I was just trying to be the best Jack Campbell. I thought the results spoke for themselves, and now that I’m here, it’s the same sort of focus.”
“It’s like, ‘this is my game, these are my weaknesses that I need to improve upon,’ and we’ve been working on that every single day,” added Campbell. “Every day, I’ve been getting a little bit better and hopefully, one day, those weaknesses will be strengths.”
Ranford and Imoo have also managed to get Campbell focused on his play, and only his play.
“Now that I [have a foundation], I work so hard at it every single day, whether it’s with Billy or with Dusty in Ontario, that when game time comes along, I’m not worried about the game,” he explained. “I’m just worried about going out and playing, and that’s what I was doing in the USNTDP.”
“It’s a big difference—just trying to play, not having to think about everything,” he added. “Any player will tell you that when they’re thinking, it’s a much harder game.”
As reported earlier, inconsistency has been a big issue in Campbell’s game, but his re-discovered foundation and the details in his game are trending upward, helping to address that.
“[What we need to fix] is the inconsistency in his game,” said Ranford. “That’s probably the biggest thing and I didn’t look at him that closely. I just looked at him from his time with the U.S. National Team Development Program through his draft year. I saw that he had a pretty good technical package. He was athletic. Those are the types of things we look for in a goalie. Then you meet him and he’s just the nicest guy you’ll ever meet, so you wonder why it hasn’t worked out.”
After being recalled from the AHL’s Ontario Reign on October 22 due to a groin injury suffered by Kings backup goalie Jeff Zatkoff (with Jonathan Quick already out of the lineup due to injury), Campbell got in one period of mop-up work during the third period of a 4-0 loss to the Anaheim Ducks at Staples Center on November 1 before he was assigned back to the Reign on November 7.
“We’re just really excited about getting him,” said Ranford. “We’ll get his game in order. We saw something there we felt we could work with and he’s just such a good kid. He has a great attitude about trying to get better.”
“We’ve been really happy with him,” added Ranford. “There’s details in his game that I wanted to clean up, based on what I think you need to do to be successful, and we tried to do that. We just tried to make him feel good about himself. I think he was on such a low that we wanted to build him back up in a positive way. But the bottom line is that it has to come from him, and he’s done that part.”

https://frozenroyalty.net/2016/11/08/jack-campbell/

He still wasn't like brilliant or anything in the AHL this year, but he was better, and he has an outside shot at backing up Quick next year, although I wouldn't be surprised if they go with a veteran given Quick's injury problems lately.

e: follow up article from the end of the year: https://frozenroyalty.net/2017/05/01/campbell-resurrection/

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 10, 2017

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Kings also just signed Pearson to a very reasonable 3.75 million for four years contract.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

NHL just announced the 2018 Winter Classic is Sabres @ Rangers in Citi Field. It only took ten years for the Sabres to be back in the outdoor game they created!

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

bizarre deformity posted:

NHL just announced the 2018 Winter Classic is Sabres @ Rangers in Citi Field. It only took ten years for the Sabres to be back in the outdoor game they created!

technically speaking, its rangers @ sabres

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao is it seriously a 'home' game for buffalo?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Edmonton created the outdoor games.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

DJExile posted:

lmao is it seriously a 'home' game for buffalo?

msg has a special property tax exemption that immediately ends if rangers or knicks ever play a home game outside msg

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Edmonton created the outdoor games.

They just stole it from Michigan State

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

fits posted:

msg has a special property tax exemption that immediately ends if rangers or knicks ever play a home game outside msg

god drat I completely forgot about that.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sup RAS

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

hello RAS

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

fits posted:

Ahahahahaha wow

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

america is hosed anyways, whatever

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hi rangers :)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Hi everyone!

Just want to say a big gently caress you to AV for playing Glass over Buch.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
NHL N/V Loser City: Feeling The Blue(Shirt)s

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

hello

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

LumpyGumby posted:

NHL N/V Loser City: Feeling The Blue(Shirt)s

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Matt Zerella posted:

Hi everyone!

Same.

At least Glass is UFA now so we're rid of him.

......AV is going to demand we re-sign him, isn't he. :bang:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

bizarre deformity posted:

Ahahahahaha wow

That exemption is worth ~50M right now

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

Hi everyone!

Staal seems like a much bigger problem than AVs obsession with Tanner Glass.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

......AV is going to demand we re-sign him, isn't he. :bang:

hell yeah

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
That's probably the worst series loss of the Lundqvist era, right? In terms of sheer "How did they gently caress that up?"

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Furnaceface posted:

Yeah, Tanner Glass sucks but he's a tiny problem compared to the giant dumpster fire that is New York's defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Furnaceface posted:

Absolutely but I'm still pissed. I've been mad at Staal since the first round so it just feels normal now.

• Locked thread