Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hot take Snap judgement on NBA Playgrounds:

1) Game seems fun so far. More nuanced and whatnot with shot timing... this could be a good thing.

2) The characters and animations and effects are nice, but I've seen more interesting UI's on circa 2008 Mobile games. It's just so flat and basic and barebones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I feel like I'm going to get addicted to NBA Playgrounds and it's going to be the game that finally makes me throw down on a PS+ subscription.

There's a bar near me with an NBA Jam machine and I've spent an embarrassing amount of money playing it...so this could actually save me money.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, this is kind of like if NBA Jam and NBA Street met each other?

Why isn't there a new NBA Street? :(

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Because in typical EA fashion they hosed it up with a less over the top sequel followed by a series of poo poo spinoffs

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Order would be a lot more fun if I could see anything. Not bad though, four/five bucks is about right for what it is.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Specter Knight is fantastic. I might enjoy it more than both Shovel and Plague Knight.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Here's a free 1 night Redbox game rental:

quote:

YOUR CODE:
J43ZGSP8
FOLLOW THE STEPS BELOW TO REDEEM YOUR FREE ONE-NIGHT GAME RENTAL:
Visit redbox.com, the official Redbox mobile app or any Redbox kiosk
Select the game that you would like to rent
Enter the promo code above on the checkout screen

:tipshat:

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

It's "free" "beta." Runs at native 4K so there's that I guess.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

hey so i've been playing through yakuza 0 and at various points it keeps saying something along the lines of "at some point in the story you can swap between characters at the phone in your hideout" or something. when exactly is this point because i'm at like chapter 14 now and i still haven't done it yet

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Here's a free 1 night Redbox game rental:

:tipshat:

And another since I don't use redbox.

quote:

YOUR CODE:
TW3ZMFWU
FOLLOW THE STEPS BELOW TO REDEEM YOUR FREE ONE-NIGHT GAME RENTAL:
Visit redbox.com, the official Redbox mobile app or any Redbox kiosk
Select the game that you would like to rent
Enter the promo code above on the checkout screen

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Bad Parenting posted:

hey so i've been playing through yakuza 0 and at various points it keeps saying something along the lines of "at some point in the story you can swap between characters at the phone in your hideout" or something. when exactly is this point because i'm at like chapter 14 now and i still haven't done it yet

Like at the very end of the game you unlock the ability to jump between characters. Don't worry, the game has a clear point of no return marked by like 3 different "Are you sure?" confirmations.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

is there a new game plus or anything because i feel like i've been missing out on a lot of stuff to see where the story goes?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Bad Parenting posted:

is there a new game plus or anything because i feel like i've been missing out on a lot of stuff to see where the story goes?

Yeah there's a straight up NG+ and an Adventure Mode which lets you wander around the cities with no story.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

okay cool because in the early chapters i feel like i was trying out a lot of the stuff like baseball and karaoke but as the story progressed i felt a kind of urgency to keep going and forget about all that stuff. as such i've hardly unlocked any moves and there's loads of abilities locked behind some kind of mesh wall still

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

Because in typical EA fashion they hosed it up with a less over the top sequel followed by a series of poo poo spinoffs

NBA Street and SSX were both less good than their sequels. :colbert:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Prey is shaping up great in every way thats not playing it. Everything about controlling and playing is poo poo.

Like I see a thing I can climb up to and it takes 5 minutes and a bunch if falls and quicksaves to get there. Will he mantle up that ledge? :iiam: Its not crazy sequence breaking. Its a path the game wants me to be able to get to. Its gameplay is just so bad its hard to do.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

morallyobjected posted:

NBA Street and SSX were both less good than their sequels. :colbert:

All I remember is you couldn't play a yeti in the sequel and after that my interstitial waned

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Digirat posted:

Which doesn't even help in that case, since War Tapes is the only option you should ever use for battlefield games unless they started making that separate from your sound configuration.

What was the deal with war tapes? I could never tell the difference.

Also, picked up Nier from the Japan sale and am not disappointed, but it is a little weird. I never really got into Drakengard and I could never get into the original Nier because the gameplay sucked so hard. I did spoil the stories of those games going into Nier, so I'm definitely prepared for some Yoko Taro fuckery, but it does feel like I'm on edge waiting for another shoe to drop or something. Like, I'm enjoying the game so far, it's aesthetically fantastic, but I'm constantly on edge going "oh man, where is the part where my mind is going to get blown?"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's hard to go into a yoko taro game without thinking about giant cannibal space babies from another dimension

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DrNutt posted:

Also, picked up Nier from the Japan sale and am not disappointed, but it is a little weird. I never really got into Drakengard and I could never get into the original Nier because the gameplay sucked so hard. I did spoil the stories of those games going into Nier, so I'm definitely prepared for some Yoko Taro fuckery, but it does feel like I'm on edge waiting for another shoe to drop or something. Like, I'm enjoying the game so far, it's aesthetically fantastic, but I'm constantly on edge going "oh man, where is the part where my mind is going to get blown?"
Like you, I started playing thinking it was weak sauce compared to its predecessors but then near the end of the A ending things got real.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Samurai Sanders posted:

Like you, I started playing thinking it was weak sauce compared to its predecessors but then near the end of the A ending things got real.

Oh, I don't think it's weaksauce per say, I just feel like the game is keeping me on edge waiting for something incredible to happen and it's just a little distracting. If I've gone through the first three major areas after the prologue, how much time do I have left in route a?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DrNutt posted:

Oh, I don't think it's weaksauce per say, I just feel like the game is keeping me on edge waiting for something incredible to happen and it's just a little distracting. If I've gone through the first three major areas after the prologue, how much time do I have left in route a?
I think there are five or six main areas in route A, but route A seems so long ago, like I barely knew anything about the game then.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DrNutt posted:

This is weird because the difference is huge. War tapes increases the distance sound effects carry before changing into their "distant" quiet versions and massively increases echo and reverb to unrealistic levels. In full servers it makes the games sound unbelievable, since you're hearing sounds echoing in from everywhere at once, layered on top of one another, from all the little conflicts going on around the map. It's not something you turn on if you want realistic sound, you turn it on if you like how battlefield sounds and want to hear three times as much of it at once.

I didn't play any of the games after 3 though, and from the sounds of things BC2 still did it the best. BC2 still has the best sound in any game I've played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX7xUpUzfA8

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
BC2 is just like one of the best multiplayer FPS games ever. All the subsequent BF games have paled in comparison to how much loving fun that game was.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I enjoyed war tapes in the older BF games but it didn't work as well in the more recent ones with my 5.1.2 surround.

In general, BC2 was great for its time but not even close to competing with 4/1 by modern standards.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Xaris posted:

BC2 is just like one of the best multiplayer FPS games ever. All the subsequent BF games have paled in comparison to how much loving fun that game was.

Yeah I really wish they would do a remaster. I think people would play the poo poo out of it again since it has such a cult status at this point. I enjoyed it way more than BF3 or 4 despite it being less of a technical marvel.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

games since bc2 have made huge qol improvements to the series but the gunplay and maps of bc2 are a lot better than anything in 4

I miss being able to knock down an entire map like I could in bc2. the fixed set piece destruction sucks

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Manatee Cannon posted:

games since bc2 have made huge qol improvements to the series but the gunplay and maps of bc2 are a lot better than anything in 4

I miss being able to knock down an entire map like I could in bc2. the fixed set piece destruction sucks
I only played BC2 briefly but how do you knock down the entire map? Or did you mean piece by piece?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Blowing up a wall with a charge then running into the hole with an auto shotgun is gaming perfection, as is bringing down a building on some annoying idiot's head.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I only played BC2 briefly but how do you knock down the entire map? Or did you mean piece by piece?

you could knock down all but the largest buildings, which you could still knock the walls out of (unlike the skyscrapers of 3/4) and all of the trees could be destroyed. there were also big staircases leading to the top of everything so you avoid the problems of 3/4 where some idiot gets on top of a roof and becomes incredibly obnoxious to dislodge

there were heavily forested maps and you could knock the whole thing to the ground, changing the look completely. vietnam introduced a flamethrower that could remove plants and trees as well, and you could go around the whole map performing extreme gardening until there was nothing left. there were maps like cold war that had a little slice of a town you fight through and every single building could be partially destroyed and eventually knocked down. every time you went through the map was a little different because the map would blow up in different ways

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 10, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Red Faction Guerrilla needs a proper sequel, goddamn't.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I put around 200 hours in BC2 (probably 100 of which because of war tapes alone, hearing how good it sounded was seriously my main motivation to play it). Tried BF3 and left it in frustration after maybe 20 hours. Incredible graphics, but the sound was more realistic (which in comparison to BC2 means "more boring") and I hated how much lower the TTK was because the maps were also smaller than the old games, which meant you'd get killed before you could react about as often as COD. BC2 was not quite a battlefield game compared to the old stuff like 2142, but it was its own thing that did a really good job scaling the game down into something that felt incredibly intense, while still being much larger-scale than most shooters. BF3 was the game where EA decided they desperately needed to compete with COD because they're loving EA, so the gameplay was more COD-like but there were still 64 players, which does not work in my opinion.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I also miss sticking c4 to the uav and blowing up tanks with it

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
BF1 has pretty much gone back to BC2 levels of destruction. Entire villages will be leveled if the fight happens to hover around a particular flag for any extended period of time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Everything that made BC2 great was subtle but it was just a ton of little thing culminating into a really great game. More than anything the map design and destruction were what made it. And the weapons just felt like beasts in this way few shooters have achieved. I also think being designed for 32 players were a big factor. The maps felt tighter, more dense, and more thoughtful. 64 player BF feels stretched out to me and the rounds play out less coherently.

It's funny because I've never been big on Rush, but it's 90% of what I played in BC2, because the maps played out so awesome in rush. I genuinely felt like it was a battle pushing forward.

I loved how easy it was to just rpg a sniper and blow up the whole tower and murder his rear end.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it is kinda funny that you bring up the player count thing because I remember wishing we had 64 player servers in bf3 on ps3... until I actually played it on pc. the only thing worse than 64 man metro in bf3 is 64 man metro in bf4

and yea I'd say bc2 had a much better good/bad map ratio than 3 or 4 (tho 3 is still mostly good. I can't think of any bf4 maps that I really like to play). only map that was legit bad is heavy metal. that map was way too big for the playercount

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I only wished the player count in BF3 was 64 because the maps felt so empty on console.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

veni veni veni posted:

Everything that made BC2 great was subtle but it was just a ton of little thing culminating into a really great game. More than anything the map design and destruction were what made it. And the weapons just felt like beasts in this way few shooters have achieved. I also think being designed for 32 players were a big factor. The maps felt tighter, more dense, and more thoughtful. 64 player BF feels stretched out to me and the rounds play out less coherently.

It's funny because I've never been big on Rush, but it's 90% of what I played in BC2, because the maps played out so awesome in rush. I genuinely felt like it was a battle pushing forward.

I loved how easy it was to just rpg a sniper and blow up the whole tower and murder his rear end.
Same, BC2 rush was amazing. BF1 Ops came close but dice dropped the ball hard and now it's dead :rip:

But yeah the destruction was top notch. Capping an mcom and rolling through a smoldering ruins of an island village with nothing left standing was fantastic. Tuning back destruction in latter games was one of the dumbest things DICE has done. Also all the lush-designed maps were a lot better than the drab boring grey-blue-brown of BF3/4. 1 at least is a better attempt at some colorization again.

The pacing for BC2 was great as you mentioned, playing for 32 just feels a lot better and having no-prone kept the gameplay rollin' steady but fast. The classes were also the best designed, kickas LMG with meds and revive? hell yess. A class dedicated to blowing everything up and beastly SMGS? Ty. Assault rifles with ammopacks? good choice.

I vastly prefer having vehicles spawn in map instead of just click on a loading screen, it was a lot of fun to very quietly sneak into enemy base on Isle Innocentes and steal their Apache and wreck havoc, or spawn in coincidentally as a vehicle was spawning and grab it from some pubbie who was sitting there for 2 minutes waiting for a vehicle instead, or instead of having the fastest computer spamming click-click-click right away at the start of a game vs having some randomized placement chances to actually get in a vehicle.

Also the balance in BC2 between infantry-tanks-choppers were pretty fair and some the best DICE has ever done. It in later ones, it's either skygod garbage, too weak or too strong vehicles, etc. They did do minor stupid poo poo like nerfing dart, but really smoke needed a nerf, and some other minor problems overall. Sure there's been some very good QoL improvements since then like Medic-Radius revive showcase, no more stupid perks, a little bit better things here and there but in the grand picture they've all felt considerably less fun.

Like you said, a lot of little things.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Glad I waited to dig in on Horizon, the new HUD customization options in the latest patch are a big deal. I turned the compass off and disabled plant icons except for when I'm using Focus, and it makes the world feel way more immersive. I'm now looking at the stuff around me instead of the icons plastered all over them and using landmarks to orient myself. Huge improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I only wished the player count in BF3 was 64 because the maps felt so empty on console.

the big maps did but the infantry focused maps were perfectly fine

siene crossing was a really good map and aftermath was an insanely good expansion; I missed the xbow so much in 4. tho the thing I miss the most from 3 compared to any other battlefield is the balance of the ground vehicles. tanks were so much fun in that game. they hosed the vehicle controls hard with the battlelog button in 4 (yea there's the lovely bf3 controls option but that puts primary fire on like l1 or something insane like that)