Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Man Musk posted:

As a North American Tribe, is it better to continually migrate for the 50x monarch point bonus, or to blob out with colonists?

One fun gimmick I saw was to migrate south and convert to Nahuatl. From there, you use the north american nations to feed your need for vassals until you've got all five reforms and waiting for an institution to develop. Regardless, try and settle somewhere that you think you can start conquering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

So Russia is getting more development and national ideas with +50% force limits? Sweet. That will be good times if you take economic ideas or something to let you pay for all them troops. (I always forget whether you want trade or economic when you don't have great access to the European end nodes or the spice island space.)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If there's one country that always fails in every playthrough because of its weak position and ideas it's Muscovy/Russia. :v:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I never really understood all the complaining about the Russian and Lithuanian provinces, but those do look a lot nicer.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Poil posted:

If there's one country that always fails in every playthrough because of its weak position and ideas it's Muscovy/Russia. :v:

Well, they recentuly begun to have trouble getting all the way east because of turbocharged Ming. I mean the best way to solve that is obviously to just turbocharge Russia as well. There's no way that unshackling China could be to blame right?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Randarkman posted:

Well, they recentuly begun to have trouble getting all the way east because of turbocharged Ming. I mean the best way to solve that is obviously to just turbocharge Russia as well. There's no way that unshackling China could be to blame right?
Certainly not! But why don't they just become a tributary like the rest of the world?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Muscovy starts much weaker in 1.22 than 1.21. Less manpower, more expensive armies, no core creation cost reduction, no massive force limit boost. What they get in exchange is pretty weak. Their ideas get better when they form Russia, but it's still weaker than old Russia. The manpower hit is especially big, being only +33% instead of the old whopping +75%.

This is a pretty good-sized nerf to their ideas.

edit: It's actually pretty hard to figure out which idea set is worse, both Muscovite and Russian are going to be hot garbage. The extra province development is going to have to be quite a bit to make up for how much weaker they'll be. Not sure why people here are acting like this is a buff.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 9, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Not sure why people here are acting like this is a buff.
I just assumed because they seemed stronger at a first look, and I'm an idiot. :downs:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Randarkman posted:

Did you guys even read the dev diary? "Turbocharge Russia" is not what's happening here.

A) Russian ideas are getting heavily nerfed overall. They're losing over half of their manpower bonus and most of their economic bonuses in exchange for a bunch of crap (legitimacy bonus, a small AE impact reduction, corruption bonus). They're also losing half of their army tradition bonus. The force limit idea is unchanged from what they have now, so their armies are just becoming less effective and more expensive

B) Muscovy is losing a bunch of provinces to new minor states, slowing down their start.

C) While the region is getting more development overall, much of that development is actually part of Lithuania. More low-dev provinces also means it'll take even longer for institutions to spread, despite the small boost in institution spread modifier that Russia is getting

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Nah, I was just bitching about Ming.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
There appears to be a rework of Orthodoxy and also new Russian cultural mechanics, some elements of which have been shown on the dev mp streams. I assume that these are hella swole and they nerfed the NIs to compensate, otherwise I don't know why they would think that Russia needs to be made weaker.

If they haven't changed the various Russian minors idea sets then the Ryazan ideas are now almost strictly superior to both Muscovite and Russian ideas.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah people spotted another banners-type unique unit, probably for Russians. And Johan said right now Russia is ridiculously overpowered, so we'll see.

Randarkman posted:

Nah, I was just bitching about Ming.

Russia has been having trouble making it east since a long long time before Ming got buffed.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Cool so when do the bugs get fixed?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Alongside the new stuff, usually.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I admit I'm slightly worried about Lithuania getting more development, it'll just make the PLC even more oppressive in the east. As long as some combination of Russia, Austria/Hungary, and Brandenburg can eat them I'm happy, but having a big "Commonwealth" tag uglying up the map all the time is really annoying. At least let them change it to Poland more often!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

P-L should be really dominant, it was the premier power in Eastern Europe for at least the first 100 years of the game. The problem is that there's no mechanism that can model the way it tore itself apart from the inside.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Alongside the new stuff, usually.

not lately

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
New and stronger Russian minors is actually really cool. Tver and Ryazan are hard starts but they get nice ideas and also an achievement to go with them so I'm excited.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

P-L should be really dominant, it was the premier power in Eastern Europe for at least the first 100 years of the game. The problem is that there's no mechanism that can model the way it tore itself apart from the inside.

This is true of a ton of states in this time period. For example, Ming, and their solution to that made it even worse than before.

tqilamknbrd
Jun 6, 2009

your circumcision honestly disgusts me
Europa Universalis IV: Get in Beloozeros, we're going shopping

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Finally.

And it only took me 850 hours of game time even!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

quote:

Nothing about the retardedly broken Ming

cool patch

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Node posted:

cool patch

I'm glad they addressed the diplo relations slot mess, whew.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Pellisworth posted:

I'm glad they addressed the diplo relations slot mess, whew.

Jesus god, look at this post. Does the Paradox forums have a contest to see how much garbage you can put on your avatar and signature?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

They have some nasty events that they have to deal with, but nothing that tears them apart, no. I am currently playing as them (finally), going for Winged Hussars, Poland Can Into Space, and One King to Rule and boy howdy some of the poo poo they get sucks rear end. I'm still doing fantastic, though:

I have had 4 successive Kings with of 1 or lower Adm and Mil but 5+ Dip, so ideas and tech have been going slow. Once I finally finish my third idea group I am going to click the button to form the Commonwealth then use all these allies to bitchsmack the Muscovites back to Bjarmia.

fake edit: Though I may want to feed some provinces to Lithuania, then form the Commonwealth (they are at 34 of 41 possible provinces). Hrm...

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Guys, I have 400/549 Force Limit, I should be fine against Ming. :v:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

So I've been playing this game (and EU3 before it) for literally like a decade at this point but I've never really touched the whole "game of thrones" aspect of it where you try to get lots of PUs (mostly because I rarely play in the part of Europe where this kind of strategy is useful). I kind of fancy doing some kind of HRE monarchy game so is there anything more to it than just getting RMs with old rulers without heirs? When can you use the 'claim on throne' CB?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

So I've been playing this game (and EU3 before it) for literally like a decade at this point but I've never really touched the whole "game of thrones" aspect of it where you try to get lots of PUs (mostly because I rarely play in the part of Europe where this kind of strategy is useful). I kind of fancy doing some kind of HRE monarchy game so is there anything more to it than just getting RMs with old rulers without heirs? When can you use the 'claim on throne' CB?

As far as I understand it:

You can use Claim Throne if a country's ruler is part of your dynasty, they either have no heir or a weak heir, and you have a royal marriage with them. You also need to have more prestige than them. The CB expires if the country gets a strong heir, so you want to declare ASAP.

You spread your dynasty by being as big as possible and spreading royal marriages all over the place. If a country has several royal marriage partners and doesn't share a dynasty with any of them, and then their monarch dies, then they'll receive a new ruler from the same dynasty as the strongest of their royal marriage partners.

If a ruler dies heirless, then either a PU naturally happens (if a ruler of the same dynasty has more prestige than the target country), or a new ruler from a different dynasty appears if there are competing royal marriages and there are no valid PU candidates, or a new ruler of the same dynasty appears if there are no competing royal marriages and no valid PU candidates. When a PU happens, a succession war can occur if there are valid contestants of the PU, which can include other members of the dynasty and also rivals of the senior PU partner.

tqilamknbrd
Jun 6, 2009

your circumcision honestly disgusts me
i would wait until they fix diplo slots before playing a pu game, because having heaps royal marriages will make it impossible to find actual allies (you don't want to be allied to pu targets)

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
In my recent game as Portugal there were a few times where I was heirless, in which case I was notified that if my ruler died Castile and France would fight to claim my throne. Luckily I produced heirs each time, but what would have that entailed? And would I have participated in any way?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

snoremac posted:

In my recent game as Portugal there were a few times where I was heirless, in which case I was notified that if my ruler died Castile and France would fight to claim my throne. Luckily I produced heirs each time, but what would have that entailed? And would I have participated in any way?

Yes - if your ruler had died, you would have instantly become a lesser partner in a union, which is vasically a super-vassal. It'd also start a war, since it's likely that one of them (in your case, probably castile) would be contested by france and the two would fight over who gets the PU over you. So... it's generally something to be avoided!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Note that you won't be placed under a Personal Union if you're at war. It's a good idea to chain easy wars that you can sit on until you get an heir!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

tqilamknbrd posted:

i would wait until they fix diplo slots before playing a pu game, because having heaps royal marriages will make it impossible to find actual allies (you don't want to be allied to pu targets)

I have no faith that Johan isn't going to act like this is a fantastic change for the next 6-8 months before relenting so I'm getting used to it. Plus I'm probably going to play Brandenburg just for the fun of having broken as gently caress troops and tons of helper events so after the first couple of decades of having Poland as my faithful bitch I won't need allies :v:

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
So they're giving Muscovy the Ethiopia treatment and modeling a bunch of historical sub-kingdoms as vassals to provide an early speed bump?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It's the opposite of a speed bump though, vassals are a significant power boost

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
What's wrong with diplo slots right now?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

alcaras posted:

What's wrong with diplo slots right now?

The AI doesn't have a player-specific one anymore so it's harder to get any kind of diplo with the AI unless you're the fastest gun in the west

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Koramei posted:

It's the opposite of a speed bump though, vassals are a significant power boost
Really? I get why vassals are useful during the course of the game but how is starting with provinces owned by vassals better than starting with them owned and cored outright?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Elotana posted:

Really? I get why vassals are useful during the course of the game but how is starting with provinces owned by vassals better than starting with them owned and cored outright?

Vassals give you a higher effective force limit than just owning the province.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Higher total force limits and manpower is the biggest advantage, since each vassal gets +3 force limit and 10,000 manpower just by existing.

• Locked thread