Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Watch more "grimdark" shows and you can be dead inside like me!

I'm not being a dick here, genuine question. Do you have kids?

The reason I ask is because I've become a hell of a lot more emotional since becoming a dad. I was never really affected by stuff on screen before hand, but since kids, I get misty-eyed during a ton of things I watch. I regularly get what I call "achy jaw" watching loving Attenborough documentaries these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Looten Plunder posted:

I'm not being a dick here, genuine question. Do you have kids?

The reason I ask is because I've become a hell of a lot more emotional since becoming a dad. I was never really affected by stuff on screen before hand, but since kids, I get misty-eyed during a ton of things I watch. I regularly get what I call "achy jaw" watching loving Attenborough documentaries these days.

Children make you weak.

I guess, I don't have any so I have no real data here.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Is there a Stargate thread? I know it's not ongoing anymore, but I've been watching it on Stan and have a question: I'm enjoying the self contained, 'hey, look, a planet entirely composed of whatever costumes we already had' episodes of season 1, but does it change? does it start to become bigger and a bit more over arching? It's not a bad formula, but I'm not really down for ten seasons of just that formula. It's what killed Burn Notice for me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

There is a Stargate thread and yes it gets much bigger and more overarching. Starts about season 3 or 4 if I remember correctly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Stargate rules.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

GreenNight posted:

There is a Stargate thread and yes it gets much bigger and more overarching. Starts about season 3 or 4 if I remember correctly.

No worries. I had a look at the episode summaries (blurbs?) for later episodes, and they made it sound the same, but that might be a symptom of whoever writes those for Stan taking spoilers very seriously.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Stargate rules.

Stargate is amazing and complicated.

SG1 started on Showtime and was weird for season one, great for season 2-6? and pretty good but not great for season 7-10. Saying that, the later seasons do have some of the best episodes of the series.

Stargate Atlantis is definitely a bit different and kind of struggles to reach the same cast chemistry as SG1. Ronan played by Jason Momoa was one of the best parts of the show and doesn't show up until season 2. It never really reaches the same heights as SG1 but it definitely went for a stronger comedic tone that worked pretty well especially McKay.

Stargate Universe is not a Stargate show except for the central plot device being a stargate. It's clearly trying to be a Battlestar Galactica knock off right down to the angry and super dramatic military guys butting heads with the civilians. It's a good show for what it is but it takes a while to get there and struggles to lose the baggage that came with trying desperately hard to be a prestige drama before giving up and focusing on making a good show.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

pentyne posted:

Stargate is amazing and complicated.

SG1 started on Showtime and was weird for season one, great for season 2-6? and pretty good but not great for season 7-10. Saying that, the later seasons do have some of the best episodes of the series.

Stargate Atlantis is definitely a bit different and kind of struggles to reach the same cast chemistry as SG1. Ronan played by Jason Momoa was one of the best parts of the show and doesn't show up until season 2. It never really reaches the same heights as SG1 but it definitely went for a stronger comedic tone that worked pretty well especially McKay.

Stargate Universe is not a Stargate show except for the central plot device being a stargate. It's clearly trying to be a Battlestar Galactica knock off right down to the angry and super dramatic military guys butting heads with the civilians. It's a good show for what it is but it takes a while to get there and struggles to lose the baggage that came with trying desperately hard to be a prestige drama before giving up and focusing on making a good show.

Thus far, the first season has played out like a Star Trek knock off (or, at least, the cliche of Star Trek) where, in a limitless universe, they keep finding planets full of humans who are exactly like an ancient civilisation on earth. I don't mind, since the cast chemistry is fantastic. I was just curious as to whether it changed tack or not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They explain why there are humans all over the place in like the second episode.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rhyno posted:

They explain why there are humans all over the place in like the second episode.

I wasn't complaining, there's no need to leap to the extremely long running, successful show's defence. I'm pretty sure there's also an in story reason why 90% of Star Trek aliens are humans with poo poo glued to their head. It's a product of even big budget shows having to cut corners. It's fine. I'm enjoying the show.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

Thus far, the first season has played out like a Star Trek knock off (or, at least, the cliche of Star Trek) where, in a limitless universe, they keep finding planets full of humans who are exactly like an ancient civilisation on earth. I don't mind, since the cast chemistry is fantastic. I was just curious as to whether it changed tack or not.
The Stargates were built as a transportation network by the Ancients. Of course they would go to planets that have civilizations they're overseeing the development of.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Stargate starts off as a pretty generic sci-fi show and then gradually builds up into a really complicated world of shows and mythology and poo poo. And the funniest part is when every 4 years they do an episode where the new Presidential candidate has to be sat down and explained all this to. I've always loved Stargate for that.

And yeah, they give a good enough explanation as to why everyone they initially encounter is a culture from human history and it factors into their mythology and story. And eventually they get beyond that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Huh, so Playing House is back next month. Maybe I did see that it was renewed last year but it was long enough ago that I completely forgot about it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
SG-1 is great. Atlantis is also pretty great, but its cast chemistry is focused into like, 3 characters, rather than spread among a large cast of charismatic friends and foes alike.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm pretty sure there's also an in story reason why 90% of Star Trek aliens are humans with poo poo glued to their head.
Not sure if there's an in-story canon explanation, but it's literally why Neal Stephenson wrote Seveneves.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There is. A precursor race, the ones that built all the teleporters between worlds, seeded galactic life with "humanoid dna". Its the subject of the episode "The Chase" and it's lame as gently caress.

I am a lifelong trekkie, but when it's bad, it's fuckin bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snowman_McK posted:

I wasn't complaining, there's no need to leap to the extremely long running, successful show's defence. I'm pretty sure there's also an in story reason why 90% of Star Trek aliens are humans with poo poo glued to their head. It's a product of even big budget shows having to cut corners. It's fine. I'm enjoying the show.

I WILL DEFEND RODNEY MCKAY'S HONOR UNTIL I DIE DO NOT QUESTION ME

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I want to repeat it. I've always loved Stargate because they were the only show I think I've seen that said "ok, we have this massive paradigm shift government agency fighting aliens in secret so lets devote a bunch of episodes to explaining to Congress what they're funding or sitting the new President down and telling him he's gotta meet with an alien dignitary."

I'm a nerd but I loved Stargate for that poo poo.

edit: Hell, they had to negotiate with foreign governments about space rights. I loved that poo poo.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 10, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I heard someone was bad mouthing Stargate.

Stop that.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Escobarbarian posted:

Reactions to the supposed horrifying and upsetting nature of Handmaid's Tale HAVE been a bit over the top, though.

maybe, but I buy it. reading the book bothered me on a profound level. Seeing that poo poo depicted on screen doesn't just seem like a TV show to some people. It seems like pretty close to what a significant portion of our fellow citizens would like to actually happen, including our loving vice president.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

Stop that.

INDEED.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

Stop that.

I don't think anyone was?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snak posted:

I don't think anyone was?

Look, if you wanna talk poo poo about Teal'c we can take this outside dude.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Look, if you wanna talk poo poo about Teal'c we can take this outside dude.

Shal'kek nem'ron!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Fox mercy killed Sleepy Hollow.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Gilfoyle drinking Old Rasputin. gently caress yeah.

Edit: Dear White People is really good.

Snak fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 10, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Snowman_McK posted:

It doesn't really change, it's just that unlike a lot of shows of that type they tend to remember what happened in previous episodes so the universe actually builds and changes. They develop something cool in one episode and then keep it around and there'll be background chatter about mass producing it, or "why can't we ask X for help" gets answered with "they're still recovering from that thing that happened three episodes ago." That on top of the great character chemistry is what endears it to people.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's just good.

The continuity of setting helps, and is a real quality of the show, but honestly well-written characters count for a lot. I'm not sure that it ever gets "better" than Star Trek, but I think is better, on average, than Star Trek. Its best are even with the bests of Trek, but it's worsts are much better than Trek's worsts.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Stargate loved taking the piss out of itself, but it also went super into the fake tech and science of it, there was effort. As much effort as you could buy with the Canucky shilling.

All of the bad guys were good. Until the Ori, but even then it wasn't all that bad. The Wraith, The Replicators, The Genii.

The 3 episode arc with the last episode of Stargate Atlantis season 3 and the first two episodes of season 4 is some of the best sci-fi ever put on TV.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I guess giving comedians their own political talk shows is going to be the big thing for a while on Comedy Central.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I was catching up on SHIELD when suddenly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EThm-Sa1LnQ

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rocksicles posted:

Stargate loved taking the piss out of itself, but it also went super into the fake tech and science of it, there was effort. As much effort as you could buy with the Canucky shilling.

All of the bad guys were good. Until the Ori, but even then it wasn't all that bad. The Wraith, The Replicators, The Genii.

The 3 episode arc with the last episode of Stargate Atlantis season 3 and the first two episodes of season 4 is some of the best sci-fi ever put on TV.

Shepard singlehandedly murdering like 200 Genii soldiers with a press of a button was hardcore

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The original Stargate TV showrunner is showrunner on Travelers on Netflix.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Stargate gets weird when Dom Deluise's sons keep showing up like it's a Seaquest reunion.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Gaunab posted:

I guess giving comedians their own political talk shows is going to be the big thing for a while on Comedy Central.

Wasn't that also the big thing for them like 10 years ago, the last time they were scrambling for talent?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

raditts posted:

Wasn't that also the big thing for them like 10 years ago, the last time they were scrambling for talent?

10 years ago their strategy was "Give like half a dozen comedians hybrid stand-up/sketch shows and pray like hell we recapture that Chappelle's Show lightning in a bottle"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

JethroMcB posted:

10 years ago their strategy was "Give like half a dozen comedians hybrid stand-up/sketch shows and pray like hell we recapture that Chappelle's Show lightning in a bottle"

Yeah but they also had Tough Crowd, Chocolate News and whatever the hell that thing was with D.L. Hughley. I wanna say there was at least one other "news" type show that I can't think of at the moment, not including Onion Sportsdome which was actually good.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

raditts posted:

Yeah but they also had Tough Crowd, Chocolate News and whatever the hell that thing was with D.L. Hughley. I wanna say there was at least one other "news" type show that I can't think of at the moment, not including Onion Sportsdome which was actually good.

"DL Hughley Breaks the News" was never on my radar, but it was at CNN. Crossballs had a political slant, and Onion Sportsdome (one of the greatest shows CC ever manged to fumble their way into airing, before immediately kicking to the curb) was replaced by Sports Show with Norm McDonald.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I'd managed to forget about most of those, except Tough Crowd, that show is unforgettable in its awfulness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Man, the Silicon Valley thread is fascinating. Long digresses about tech, pages derails about explaining a single joke, it really mirrors the show.

BTW Silicon Valley is killing it this season.

• Locked thread