Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Scruffpuff posted:

There is something all of those people could have in common. Like most tricks, this one is simple once you know it - services like LinkedIn and Facebook keep track of all the times people have searched for you. So at some point your doctor, your friend, your plumber, etc. typed in your name online while logged into one of those services. Perhaps they were completing billing info, checking your background information, or just looking you up themselves to add you to their contact list.

Also the issue that I signed up to LinkedIn with a freshly created fake name and a unique email address. Only an IP address could connect me.

The way these online services behave, if they were individuals, they would be considered stalkers.

Get a VPN service, period. The LinkedIn email has convinced me. I didn't want to spend the money, but now I consider it a necessity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Scruffpuff posted:

That's why you should always be behind 7 proxies.

Seriously though, it's incredibly hosed up how bad it's getting. So much attention is being paid to how companies are accumulating private data about citizens in order to make money for themselves, with all this advice floating around about how to limit your footprint etc.

And none of it matters, because even if you're an Amish guy with no electricity who's laid up with a back injury and haven't left the house since before the internet was a thing, all these companies still have a 100% accurate dossier on your every move that they've compiled passively from sources searching for, and talking about, you and your Amish back injury.

So when JebediahBarnRaiser@gmail.com makes his first YeLinkedIn account, he's gonna get 12 ads for Doan's back pills and 273 friend invites from a rumspringa event he attended in 1961.

They could at least get me laid. What the gently caress?

Use that information for something good.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

So when JebediahBarnRaiser@gmail.com makes his first YeLinkedIn account, he's gonna get 12 ads for Doan's back pills and 273 friend invites from a rumspringa event he attended in 1961.
wow don't doxx me tia

e: wait I thought that said JebediahBunRaiser, nevermind we good

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
"Imaginarium Studios to restructure with management buy-out"

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/andy-serkis-imaginarium-to-restructure-due-to-financial-issues-says-inside-source/0182139

Poor Andy Serkis, he shouldn't have comped Chris all those months of free performance capture.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I was in New York this week and I can confirm that Derek Smart is OSC.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Chin posted:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/andy-serkis-imaginarium-to-restructure-due-to-financial-issues-says-inside-source/0182139

Poor Andy Serkis, he shouldn't have comped Chris all those months of free performance capture.
'According to our initial source, the company lost 1.2m in 2015 and 3m in 2016, and a recent cancelled project has meant that immediate action is required to secure the future of the business.'

'Recently the studio has moved into games production, with Battlefield 1 and Star Citizen both on its list of credits. It's not clear to us whether the whole operation is in financial trouble or just the gaming operation, but we can't see any reason for their to be a significant division between the two'

Chris strikes again.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

star citizen is the best ARG i've ever played in my life

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

XK posted:

I use uBlock, BetterPrivacy, CanvasBlocker, NoScript, Ghostery, Privacy Badger, and Random Agent Spoofer. I don't use a cell phone or laptop. I run a rolling update Linux desktop. I'm extraordinarily careful about sharing my information anywhere, to the extent that I use VMs. The only thing I don't do is VPN all my traffic.

Obviously Derek Smart works for them and runs comprehensive heuristics checks on everyone's information to cross reference for possible links.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

XK posted:

I use uBlock, BetterPrivacy, CanvasBlocker, NoScript, Ghostery, Privacy Badger, and Random Agent Spoofer. I don't use a cell phone or laptop. I run a rolling update Linux desktop. I'm extraordinarily careful about sharing my information anywhere, to the extent that I use VMs. The only thing I don't do is VPN all my traffic.
:tinfoil::freep::tinfoil:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

XK posted:

Do you have thermite ready to burn through your hard drives if there's a knock at the door?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
anyone of note knows exactly what you're doing at any given second

and no one cares if you're smoking weed or sucking your besties dick or hobbying up a few times a week or buying starship jpegs until, of course, you become a person of note yourself

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lack of Gravitas posted:

I have misgivings about meeting other Goons, let alone Star Citizens :v:

I once went to a goon gathering. It's good for your self-esteem.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

CrazyTolradi posted:

Do you have thermite ready to burn through your hard drives if there's a knock at the door?

I would, but I'm too lazy to set up anything like that. That you believe I've gone to abnormal lengths to prevent identification, yet I've still been commercially doxxed, should be pretty telling about how incessant the tracking of anyone's internet behavior is.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
when the bombs fall, all of our hard drives will be wiped clean, friend

come join me in the glow

XK
Jul 9, 2001

TheAgent posted:

anyone of note knows exactly what you're doing at any given second

and no one cares if you're smoking weed or sucking your besties dick or hobbying up a few times a week or buying starship jpegs until, of course, you become a person of note yourself

I can't wait to watch presidential elections for the remaining decades of my life. I'll have to vote for people with pictures of them chugging shots, and also doing let's plays of Super Mario 64.

That video was just a prank bro, vote for me!

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I read an article today about billboards and other physical locations emitting ultrasonic sounds that apps on your phone use the mic to hear and track you. Living in the future is cool.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Just noticed the conductor has hands on her breasts. Oh and half-naked double aquaman doing something with his lightsaber penis, I dunno. :shrug:

Yeah, weaboo-focused fighting games have quite the designs.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

phosdex posted:

I read an article today about billboards and other physical locations emitting ultrasonic sounds that apps on your phone use the mic to hear and track you. Living in the future is cool.
I let out a really good massive fart on the drive home today. We can only hope it was recorded.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

thatguy posted:

I let out a really good massive fart on the drive home today. We can only hope it was recorded.

Farts are being used as individual identifiers to tie people to products and locations. Welcome to the future.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
fart subjugation is the new method of ghosting

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
also persona 5...good? not sure if anime can be good, but is good maybe

discuss

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

thatguy posted:

you probably bought some stuff off amazon

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Chin posted:

First Madcatz now Imaginarium. Amazon better watch their backs

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Berious posted:

First Madcatz now Imaginarium. Amazon better watch their backs

AMD goes down first.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Chris Roberts, Lead Harbinger

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

XK posted:

Also the issue that I signed up to LinkedIn with a freshly created fake name and a unique email address. Only an IP address could connect me.

The way these online services behave, if they were individuals, they would be considered stalkers.

Get a VPN service, period. The LinkedIn email has convinced me. I didn't want to spend the money, but now I consider it a necessity.

You think a VPN will save you? Ha ha ha. No, you're hosed.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
the only option is to stop giving a poo poo who knows what you're up to

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

TheAgent posted:

when the bombs fall, all of our hard drives will be wiped clean, friend

come join me in the glow

lol if you don't even have at least a few redundant bomb-proof emergency powered back-up servers.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

starkebn posted:

But my animes!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Lack of Gravitas posted:

I have misgivings about meeting other Goons, let alone Star Citizens :v:

I've gone drinking with random goons in NY and it was pretty loving great.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I met goons and gave them a tour of downtown Munich on 3 different occasions and all were nice people.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I'd prefer if companies would stop spending so much money trying to know what I do every second of my life so they can advertise to me ever-so-slightly more perfectly efficiently, and advertising in general, and gave me a slightly cheaper product...

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
Companies keeping extensive spy dossiers on me just so they can try to sell me dick pills is weird af, but if they couldn't steal all my data, I'd probably have to pay for stuff online. gently caress that.

And can confirm, Persona 5 is very, very good.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

XK posted:

If OldSchoolCmdr were Derek, then why is he just now owning shitizens in long form? Derek would have no reason to do so under an alias. He would be proud to do it under his own name. OSC is also more laborious than even Derek. That's one of the reasons I hope he never starts posting here.

OSC's stuff is so long form I can't even read it, and I read most of Derek's stuff. OSC is loving nuts.

I like reading both derek and OSC's stuff.

They both write the good writes and are fun to read.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

grimcreaper posted:

I like reading both derek and OSC's stuff.

They both write the good writes and are fun to read.

I also find this very wierd because i hate reading anything longer than a short forum post.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TheAgent posted:

also persona 5...good? not sure if anime can be good, but is good maybe

discuss

It is very good though the time limits and endless cut scenes kinda don't add to that

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/862116123772407808

I like this tweet.

As far as I'm aware "exploring" in Star Citizen is doing that empty space station mission, or there's that beacon mission (both been in for 18 months), or there's that blown up Starfarer somewhere that could be interesting and fun, for 7 minutes, if you hadn't previously seen a Starfarer before. You can maybe find a few bottles of whisky that convert to credits or a FPS gun. That's it, 18 months.

Of the ships he listed the 350R is a racing ship, he's got it mixed up with the 315P, the freelancer is in the game, is the DUR version I dunno, maybe but if so, it's only got different knobbly bits on the side, there's no real difference.

All the other ships are concept art, the game he's playing is in his head and he can't even get the name of one of the two ships that actually exist in the "game" correct. It's all amazing to me.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I live just outside NYC, I don't have a reddit account to contact OSC but I'd be happy to hop on the train and verify that he's not Derek. I don't know how to confirm that verification to the internet though. I'd assume the shitizens would need some extraordinary evidence to prove that OSC isn't Derek?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

AlmightyPants posted:

I live just outside NYC, I don't have a reddit account to contact OSC but I'd be happy to hop on the train and verify that he's not Derek. I don't know how to confirm that verification to the internet though. I'd assume the shitizens would need some extraordinary evidence to prove that OSC isn't Derek?

There is very likely, no amount of evidence in this world that would convince them that it wasn't simply staged.

starkebn posted:

I did this a long time ago. Make things easier.