Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
So half the ending was completely obvious after reading that one email/note fairly early on, but there's something I'm still wondering about...

Who is still alive at the end? Are all the station heads still alive and communicating remotely, or are they dead (and Alex built the operators with their memories and personalities, just like how January was programmed in the simulation)? Is Morgan dead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Slanderer posted:

So half the ending was completely obvious after reading that one email/note fairly early on, but there's something I'm still wondering about...

Who is still alive at the end? Are all the station heads still alive and communicating remotely, or are they dead (and Alex built the operators with their memories and personalities, just like how January was programmed in the simulation)? Is Morgan dead?

Thoughts on the ending, would appreciate input
I think the ending sequence robots are based on backups of people who died, during the original outbreak on the station.

I assume TyphonMorgan's personality is based on a backup made before the testing began, back on Earth.

Perhaps December is a Morgan backup before they realised how dangerous the Typhon actually were, or before personality shift due to repeated neuromodding.

January was made after Morgan escaped the simulation the first time, before being rewiped and put back in.

AFAIK they are all dead.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 08:28 on May 10, 2017

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
A question about a Mr. Grant Lockwood and his location... Okay I'm not really sure what happened here and he didn't have a transcribe I think, did he get shitcanned and decide to steal a mod and fly off into the sunset?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
So.. am I the only one that thinks of this when they see ANY enemy in this game?

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Caidin posted:

A question about a Mr. Grant Lockwood and his location... Okay I'm not really sure what happened here and he didn't have a transcribe I think, did he get shitcanned and decide to steal a mod and fly off into the sunset?

Where the hell is this guy? Is location is "unknown" on security terminals and I can't seem to find a marker for him.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Dr. Carwash posted:

Where the hell is this guy? Is location is "unknown" on security terminals and I can't seem to find a marker for him.

His rear end is in space, like beyond the station rings. You gotta reactivate his tracking bracelet in deep storage, his employee number is in your objective log, and then set it in a security terminal to have a shot at finding him.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

One ending question: did December exist in the original Talos 1 incident? Are there any logs about it? Afaik I only read logs about one rogue operator.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 10, 2017

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Question about some of the dialogue variants in the ending. Does Igwae always say that you must have thought you were dreaming? I'm not entirely sure what that means but he mentioned it in mine, something about how I didn't seem to act as if any of it was real. I'm not sure what I did that qualifies as that. I had high empathy fwiw, but not the highest somehow despite saving everyone(?)

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Hmm, Alex said that to me.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Hmm, Alex said that to me.

Ah, I reloaded my save and it was Alex, I just had it mixed up in my head.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

maybe it's another wall breaking thing, as if Alex gets the impression you were just playing a game.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

One ending question: did December exist in the original Talos 1 incident? Are there any logs about it? Afaik I only read logs about one rogue operator.

Maybe? Hardware mentions that Morgan has through ALOT of operator parts and unlike January who has to do some dirty work to get you out of simlab December can just hide out until it decides you need to bail on the station, thus reducing chances of detection.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Caidin posted:

His rear end is in space, like beyond the station rings. You gotta reactivate his tracking bracelet in deep storage, his employee number is in your objective log, and then set it in a security terminal to have a shot at finding him.

Ahh ok I haven't been to that storage area yet. Thanks!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah wow. Ending talk. I have no idea why some people didn't like it.

I figured out around Psychotronics that I was a Typhon. By halfway through Arboretum I figured this was a simulation and not real. So I went full bore into the "test" and chose the most emphatic responses to everything, since Alex constantly kept talking about how how the Typhon are the perfect organism, they just lack empathy. Whatever, I'm down with being the cool Typhon that joins humanity.

So the actual blow up station/nullwave choices barely registered to me. In my mind they were just test conditions long before they actually happened. "Safe" people disappearing when saved? Yeah it's a sim, they got unloaded from memory. All the various stuff made more and more sense to me. I was here to pass the test and prove myself to Alex/Morgan.

When the reveal at the end happened, I was super excited for the test results. How'd I do! Oh hey guys, how's it going.

Then they did the turnaround the Earth. Morgan is dead. All of them are probably dead as well, and are basically January bots. January wasn't a bot built by Morgan, it was what was left of Morgan's memory/consciousness trying to guide you into being slightly more human so maybe you could do something about the Typhon. Earth is hosed. Alex is a haggard dude hiding in a basement somewhere with a locked up phantom praying he might be able to fix what happened.

I thought throughout the game we were still on Talos, and this was my test. Christ what a good ending. Teased the lead throughout the game, then twisted it right at the finish line.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Caidin posted:

Maybe? Hardware mentions that Morgan has through ALOT of operator parts and unlike January who has to do some dirty work to get you out of simlab December can just hide out until it decides you need to bail on the station, thus reducing chances of detection.
There's also mention of an October in an audio log.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Guys where can I find the Psychotronics morgue door keycard?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Couple things I was thinking about (ending related) Does anyone know what version of Looking Glass is running in the main game? The version that the actual sim is running is 3.5, it's a minor detail but I'm curious to get at least a small sense of how far in the past the talos 1 incident was.
Did anyone else actually have to stop and think about the ending choice? I was highly suspect that it was a sim since I got the December ending earlier but even then, despite being basically all gung ho with Alex's plan, when I had him and January arguing at the Nullwave transmitter I actually spent a good 5mins unsure if I should continue or blow up the station, or hell just leave with the others. I decided eventually that the nullwave was the 'correct' thing to do, since blowing the place up would still have those people escape since i saved Dahl, and January said no one can get back to earth without ruining everything. Although I did see that you could be the ultimate loving rear end in a top hat and blow up the shuttle from the upstairs bridge computer, dashing everyones hope of escape.

And then finally.. I saw some talk earlier in the thread that you can find a decent amount of audiologs that show you all of the different personality shifts Morgan went through due to his constant Typhon mod testing but I don't think I ever found any of those, other than the one for the Whistleblower quest.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

keyframe posted:

Guys where can I find the Psychotronics morgue door keycard?

In the Psychotronics morgue :v:

Solution: You need to open the door from the inside, crossbow or morph will work

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Solution: You need to open the door from the inside, crossbow or morph will work

Or even telekinesis or whatever it's called..

Yep I really liked the ending a lot because it made me reevaluate the game, right from the start. And it's an awesome premise for a sequel.

They did good.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 10, 2017

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Couple things I was thinking about (ending related) Does anyone know what version of Looking Glass is running in the main game? The version that the actual sim is running is 3.5, it's a minor detail but I'm curious to get at least a small sense of how far in the past the talos 1 incident was.
Did anyone else actually have to stop and think about the ending choice? I was highly suspect that it was a sim since I got the December ending earlier but even then, despite being basically all gung ho with Alex's plan, when I had him and January arguing at the Nullwave transmitter I actually spent a good 5mins unsure if I should continue or blow up the station, or hell just leave with the others. I decided eventually that the nullwave was the 'correct' thing to do, since blowing the place up would still have those people escape since i saved Dahl, and January said no one can get back to earth without ruining everything. Although I did see that you could be the ultimate loving rear end in a top hat and blow up the shuttle from the upstairs bridge computer, dashing everyones hope of escape.

And then finally.. I saw some talk earlier in the thread that you can find a decent amount of audiologs that show you all of the different personality shifts Morgan went through due to his constant Typhon mod testing but I don't think I ever found any of those, other than the one for the Whistleblower quest.

Escape pod ending is LGV 3.1

http://image.prntscr.com/image/7ec1d72c634c4a4a8159927f1926630f.png

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh poo poo thank you!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

OK I just got to the Crew Quarters, should I worry about saving mind-controlled humans?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

OK I just got to the Crew Quarters, should I worry about saving mind-controlled humans?

I did, I just mindjacked them.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I snuck past them and killed the telepath, then they all fell unconscious. Is that good enough? I don't have mindjack.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Unless you sneak past them they end up either unconscious or dead. Aside from one questgiver, every living human under mind control gets knocked out when you kill the puppeteer.

Anecdotal evidence also suggests that killing a Nightmare sends a psionic shockwave killing all humans in a certain radius. Or maybe their heads popped en masse for some other reason, idk.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Mzbundifund posted:

I snuck past them and killed the telepath, then they all fell unconscious. Is that good enough? I don't have mindjack.

I feel like I heard some dialogue that suggested as much. as long as they describe as unconscious rather than dead I assume you're good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, I ended up using the disruptor to stun them, once I saw that one of the D&D crew was in there I couldn't let them die :shobon:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

About that last part ENDING SPOILERS BLAH BLAH

The first message you find from yourself is you telling yourself to blow up the station. You get a little robot version of yourself January 2035. He was built by that Morgan to help you blow up the station.

Later you get contacted by another robot version of you December. He was built by a Morgan that wanted to escape. January will murder December if you don't stop him first.

In Morgan's Apartment you find October, who doesn't have a body. He just has notes to Morgan from himself on the various people around the station.

Alex shows you a video of another Morgan who has the plan to destroy all the Typhon without harming the station. When you find one of your old Transcribes in Alex's bunker Morgan is talking about how Alex's emergency plan is to blow up the station and that's not good enough, you want to save all the research.

There's a log of Morgan with the therapist freaking out over the personality drift thing. He straight up says "that's not me" about the previous Morgan.

There's also stuff like how Morgan was kind to Ilyusha but also murdered her dad in cold blood for scientific knowledge.

Pwnstar fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 10, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I just noticed that time actually passes on the station in realtime. When you first break out at the start of the game it's about 8 AM, and the time that has passed when you look at clocks and computer screens corresponds with your total playtime. :stare:

Also, something interesting I noticed (major ending spoilers):

A lot of the named phantoms are people that didn't like Morgan. Some he or she is aware of, like he head doctor of the Hardware Labs as mentioned by January, others not at all and only discerned through emails you can read. By the middle of the game it shouldn't be a secret that Morgan was not very well liked- not necessarily disliked save for a slim few, but his presence gave some major players a sense of unrest. Given that the whole thing is just a simulation, it makes me wonder if the phantoms were intentionally designated as people who didn't like Morgan, either to make them more hostile to him or to see if he would take his revenge. It's probably nothing and unintentional, but it's just something I found interesting.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:44 on May 10, 2017

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

if you stun alex in the last conversation before he kills January, while also not taking any typhon mods, January says that you going back to earth has almost no risk of messing up earth that he would be fine with you killing him to escape. so everyone else is also probably fine because none of them are typhon modded. they also phrase the destroy ending as the more "moral" option in the conversation between alex and january, as modding people requires you to, ya know, kill alot of innocent people just to make the mods that will basically only go to the rich and powerful.

january also comments on you "recruiting" dahl to pilot the shuttle, saying that finding a way to save everyone if you self destruct the station is very admirable, and doesn't comment on it putting anyone at risk.

original morgan also was kind of a poo poo bag, so gently caress his plan.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 10, 2017

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Blargh I wanna play this but I need to wait for discounts and time.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Guessed the ending right about half-way through the game by reading all the things. But there are some variations apparently and I don't know what exactly causes those:

When do you get change to human arms in the ending handshake? I suspect it is based on total number of neuromods because I manufactured a ton of those and got typhon arms stay that way, despite getting no typhon powers and ranking high on empathy(saw ending videos with human arms but typhon mods and medium empathy)

Alex gets to play a part in the endings? How does he get there, for me he was knocked out during Apex arrival scene so I dragged him into his safe room and left him there. He was alive but didn't appear, had no idea he avoids the knockout somehow, until I saw videos where he messages you/argues with January over the self-destruct button.

Will they just kill me in the ending if I'll be colossal asshat, help nobody, kill humans and stuff my face full of alien magic? Because that's my plan for next playthrough

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 10, 2017

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

For your health.

Wait'll you try my creamed horse.

Also some things I figured out and wished I knew sooner:
-You can use the gloo gun to scale walls, very handy.

-If you pop a cystoid nest with a dart the cystoids will run after and self detonate on the dart, worked amazingly in zero-g.

Lokee fucked around with this message at 11:14 on May 10, 2017

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

CJacobs posted:

I just noticed that time actually passes on the station in realtime. When you first break out at the start of the game it's about 8 AM, and the time that has passed when you look at clocks and computer screens corresponds with your total playtime. :stare:

There's a few spots where you can look at the moon that make me think there is something hidden there if you look at it at the right time. Perhaps some content is accessible only at the right time?

I also like the subtle light shift effect as the station/solar panels rotate. Not sure exactly which one is responsible for this.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Blattdorf posted:

There's a few spots where you can look at the moon that make me think there is something hidden there if you look at it at the right time. Perhaps some content is accessible only at the right time?

I also like the subtle light shift effect as the station/solar panels rotate. Not sure exactly which one is responsible for this.

I'm assuming - with no basis - that there will be Lunar DLC.

Or maybe I just want Lunar DLC.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lokee posted:

-If you pop a cystoid nest with a dart the cystoids will run after and self detonate on the dart, worked amazingly in zero-g.

Dart?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bought to you by Space Nerf.

HapXL
Mar 16, 2005

Asproigerosis posted:

What's the best pro gamer tip for technocrats? They are munching my butt right now.

A bit late to this party, but toss a recycler at them to kill their gun buddies then shoot at will. The emp bombs they toss out take time to pop and you can just side step away and keep shooting the big uglies.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I psychoshock them (stops them from attacking) then explode them with the deathray (bullets do poor damage to mech enemies, but they have no resistance to Science!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

You can stunlock them with the disruptor pistol.