Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Yeah, that looks as useful as the official insert which saves a heap of time. There's no getting round the fact that teardown is gong to take ages in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Gutter Owl posted:

Then you leave a given store deck together for 2-3 games, before sorting it back into the book.

Top tip right here.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Gutter Owl posted:

Update: Had a flash of inspiration in the shower.

Secure, easy to sort through, and the box closes flush with all player boards and manuals. Core set is split between the deckboxes, which I hope will be enough to store an entire store deck. And best of all, it didn't cost :20bux:. There's also a little room left over if I pick up Rariti/Shaffile or other promo sets.

Only caveat is, you need binder pages with enough give to hold 12-card stacks in a pocket. Thankfully I had a shitton of miscellaneous pages to sort through, and these old Ultra-Pro 9-pockets just barely had the right amount of give.

That's absolutely fantastic, I'd probably steal it for myself if I hadn't already sleeved my copy. I'm pretty much using Shadow225's method of splitting between the Set Rotation and the main box, except without the inserts.

Shadow225 posted:

This kind of works for me with sleeved cards, but it could probably work even better without sleeves: I keep the store deck, characters, and meta game elements in the Set Rotation box while keeping the mats, money. promos, and unused expansions in the base box with its original insert. The original insert allows me to partition the 3 levels of expansions and promos naturally. I can get pictures when I get home if you're curious.

Thanks for the answers! Depending on how much I continue to play and enjoy the game, I may do something dumb and pick up the rest of the set. I would keep MMPT and vanilla PT separate, so the DX box wouldn't be of use to me in this scenario ha

I'd appreciate pictures if you're still willing to post them.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gutter Owl posted:

Like. Is that a question about this particular setup, or Millennium Blades in general?

Each individual pocket holds an entire 12-card expansion set. Searching through a book for twelve sets of cards doesn't seem particularly harder than digging through a sorted stack for twelve sets of cards. Then you leave a given store deck together for 2-3 games, before sorting it back into the book.

Ooooh, did not connect the fact that each sleeve held all the cards per expansion. That makes sense.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

edit: wrong thread

I played Argent last week

Still cool and good.

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 11, 2017

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Now for the harder challenge: Finding people who actually want to play MB.

Like, this thing is one of the hardest sells in my collection. Folks at the local stores tend to fall into one of two categories:

• People who don't play or have never played CCGs, and have little intetest in the concept.
  • People who DO play CCGs...and never want to play anything else. Ever.

On a really good day, I can maybe find one person who understands the concept, has any interest, and is willing to gamble two hours on an unfamiliar game...and then we still can't play because the two-player mode is mediocre and we'd be better off playing BattleCON or Codex or Tash-Kalar or something.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, I just want them to release the battlecon app on steam and everywhere so I can finally play this goddamn game with randoms.

e: Like I don't want to talk to people, or schmooze, I want to press buttons and crush people.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Found the Cadenza player in the room.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Shadow225 posted:

Who, GO? :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Um.

Excuse me.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow225 posted:

My best victory against Cadenza was when I played Marmalee for the first time because the Cadenza player was saying she sucked. Read him the entire time.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I take back what I said about the Battlecon Online design work, it looks really slick now (even though it's only screenshots):
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/battlecon-online-the-fighting-card-game-now-online/posts/1883667?ref=activity

quote:

Greetings everyone!

I'd like to give you an update on our progress so far. Before that though, I'd like to tell you about how we came to be rebuilding the client with this new look and feel...

Last year, I was approached by Cameron, a programmer who was interested in creating a Pixel Tactics Online Game. We were considering working on Pixel Tactics after finishing up BattleCON Online, and so at first we dismissed the idea. Cameron persisted though, and after seeing his portfolio, I decided to give him a shot and building the game.

Within just a few months, Pixel Tactics Online looked, felt, and played like a professional video game. It was incredible to see how quickly a professional touch could elevate a concept into a smooth playing experience.

After seeing the progress that Pixel Tactics Online had made, I couldn't accept the difference in quality between BCO and PTO, and I knew that we would have to re-build the client with these professional touches.

It took a little while to reach this point, and it was a tough decision to step back and re-do the client. However, we now have remastered screens from our graphic designer, Laura, and Cameron is already implementing them to build a new client. We also have a professional sound designer (Wesley) ready to give the game an expert touch. You'll be able to hear his work when you play Pixel Tactics Online.

So that gets me to the main point. In appreciation for your long patience, I want to give all of you here (in addition to everything else with BCO):

A release copy of Pixel Tactics Online and the first 3 worlds/expansions as they come out.
The opportunity to participate in Pixel Tactics Online's Closed Alpha/Beta.

Hopefully checking out PTO will give you something to do while we wait on the BCO client, and also restore some faith in what we're trying to do with BattleCON. If you'd like to take advantage of the closed Alpha (PC only, for the moment), you can join here: (link removed)
Back to BattleCON

So, as I said earlier, we're now working on putting together that professional-looking new client for BattleCON Online. Here's a look at the screens so far...

You can also preview your abilities and cards from this screen.

Cameron is already implementing this screen, and expects that it will be finished up in the next week or two. After that, we'll make a pass with Wesley to get the sound design, and move on to the battle screen.

The Battle screen is just about done as well, but Laura asked me to wait on showing it off so that she can add a few more frills. I plan to post another update next week showing off the battle screen and the new look of the cards. I'll also explain how we're planning on handling in-game animations and such.

Keep in mind that since our server, game engine, and net code are already done, this project should come together a lot faster than if we started from scratch. I am still optimistic about getting you a client before the end of summer, and the development seems to be clipping along at a good pace so far.

At any rate, the long takeaway is that I've learned a lot about what to do and what not to do when building a video game, and having the right team and a professionally-drawn roadmap from the get-go is really, really important. I started out this project... a bit naive, I think. There have been a lot of hard and expensive lessons along the way, but I remain committed to delivering the professionally-polished vision that we kickstarted together.

I really appreciate your patience with me as I learned what it takes to make a video game become a reality. I look forward to finishing up this project and sharing it with you, now that we finally have a vision to move forward with. Please lend me a little more of your patience as we continue working.

Also, we're now finishing up the backer-sponsored costumes. The first one is just about finished:
Catgirl Iri, Nyao!

I hope that you'll join us for Pixel Tactics Online, and also look out for the updated news on BattleCON Online as it becomes available! I look forward to sharing more and talking through the Battle screens with you next week! :D

And Bonus Pixel Tactics Online shots!

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 12, 2017

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Backers only update :(

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
That looks pretty slick.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Okay yeah that's loving sick.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
I'm so wet right now

The General
Mar 4, 2007

If it had looked like that kind of potential at the announcement stage, they'd already have my money. drat that looks fine.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Just got introduced to battlecon after I played exceed for a while, whats generally considered the best battlecon box for newbies?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Probably War if you're not willing to go all-in for Devastation yet.

The General posted:

If it had looked like that kind of potential at the announcement stage, they'd already have my money. drat that looks fine.

Yeah, that's a vast improvement over the original UIs.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Pixel Tactics Online!? When and how can I get it?

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

The General posted:

Same. The UI back then looked like a steaming trash heap.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Pixel Tactics Online!? When and how can I get it?

I always thought PT would be an easier to program. BC is a beast of a ruleset.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Here's a video of the Alpha of Pixel Tactics Online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nYxBlu9hzI

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Atomicated posted:

Here's a video of the Alpha of Pixel Tactics Online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nYxBlu9hzI
A videogame based on a boardgame based on a videogame. Very meta.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

It'll join the ranks of the Potion Explosion app and the Words with Friends board game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Atomicated posted:

It'll join the ranks of the Potion Explosion app and the Words with Friends board game.

Discord posted:

Tekopo - Today at 6:16 PM
I hope someone makes a boardgame about Pixel Tactics Online
taser rates - Today at 6:16 PM
lol
Tekopo - Today at 6:16 PM
So that we have a boardgame based on a videogame based on a boardgame based on a videogame
It'll be like Millenium Blades, where you are playing the role of someone playing Pixel Tactics Online
Level 99, hire me

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Oh huh, I didn't know this had a thread. I picked up Battlecon War box a month or so ago and have had a lot of fun with it thus far. Is there any real reason to buy the Devastation box until I've played every War character thoroughly? I know it's got a lot more characters in it but War already has so many.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

ZeroCount posted:

Is there any real reason to buy the Devastation box until I've played every War character thoroughly?

Nope, continue to enjoy that until Trials hits the market then buy that next.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ZeroCount posted:

Oh huh, I didn't know this had a thread. I picked up Battlecon War box a month or so ago and have had a lot of fun with it thus far. Is there any real reason to buy the Devastation box until I've played every War character thoroughly? I know it's got a lot more characters in it but War already has so many.
Even more characters to beat with Cadenza. :unsmigghh:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I think devastation is in the slate for a remaster at some point so I wouldn't worry about that one necessarily. Not that you'll actually play every character- that's a lie we all tell ourselves.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I like having a bazillion characters. I stick my hand in the box and pull somebody out. I'm gonna need a bigger box though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

What are the recommended characters to use for teaching?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Shektur and Eligor. Gutter Owl has a post detailing it, but that specific matchup introduces pretty much everything you would expect to see in the game in such a way that you will be encouraged to experience it.

Even if you don't have DoI, there are free PnP materials that include the two fighters.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Looks like PTO is in an open alpha. https://discord.gg/qPFmwCG

Make sure to actually put in a password when you register an account otherwise you won't be able to log into it again.

Edit: Wait how come turns consist of 3 actions instead of 2 in this? Have I been playing wrong?

Amcoti fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 1, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Where is the link to register? The one in the header is a 404.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Windows:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6d8xzt15657cmqa/PTO_C_129.zip?dl=0

Android:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3x98orpq1hdgewp/PTO_C_129.apk?dl=0

Download whichever one of those and then register through the game itself.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Atomicated posted:

Looks like PTO is in an open alpha. https://discord.gg/qPFmwCG

Make sure to actually put in a password when you register an account otherwise you won't be able to log into it again.

Edit: Wait how come turns consist of 3 actions instead of 2 in this? Have I been playing wrong?

PTO works a bit differently than meatspace PT. Orders are their own special thing that runs on Orbs, and you get three other actions per turn

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

PTO has some major rule changes to accommodate a greater focus on constructed play, rather than the preconstructed decks.

From the comments on the Alpha video:

quote:

I think quicker games were definitely part of it. The "main reason" behind this was to help balance out Orders. Orders were a bit too strong in the testing Meta because they would essentially generate a lot of value for one action. With only 2 actions, every action you took was VERY precious, meaning that Orders (the easiest means to generate value) became the go-to for most decks.

This meant that other actions, such as attacking, moving, clearing corpses, etc. were almost never done. Also, this meant that cards were almost always placed into decks SOLELY for their Order effect.

So, to hopefully bring orders in line, we added Orbs, which gave Orders a secondary resource to worry about. Also, we decided to increase the number of actions so that players wouldn't feel too pressured to generate a lot of value with every action. More actions meant that you could afford to "waste" an action or two attacking enemy heroes (which was usually 100% inferior to simply casting some Order that did AoE damage).

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

L99 just announced a new mini expansion for Millennium Blades, featuring parodies of a certain well-known card game: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/millennium-blades-the-ccg-simulator-board-game/posts/1901869

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Mother FUCKER.

I just got everything to fit in the box.