Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Or they could stop making mass Effect games because they aren't very good at it anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'd like to submit MGS3 as another "prequels can be great" example

Just... I dunno, not with the ME:A team.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kalenn Istarion posted:

[You can absolutely do a prequel movie / book / game that still has dramatic suspense. Rogue One is probably the most widely distributed example in recent history. You know that they get the plans but the story is successful by focusing on the people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfJRm0WssOE

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I hope next time they let you choose which pathfinder to be. Been human too many times.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tenzarin posted:

I hope next time they let you choose which pathfinder to be. Been human too many times.

Should start off as a space janitor who rises to greatness.

Basically you would play as Roger Wilco from Space Quest 1. Or Regina Wilco I guess.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Rogue-Wan is not a good example of a good prequel lol

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Moola posted:

But it broke new ground :byodood:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Is the guy teaching those kids how to fight in the third image or how to dance? I hope the latter.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

evilmiera posted:

Is the guy teaching those kids how to fight in the third image or how to dance? I hope the latter.

It's an Elbow strike.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I know. Don't ruin the dream.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Take the Rachni situation. All we know is a) they lost and b) one of them survived somewhere. You could make a really interesting tale, I think, of HOW the surviving queen ended up where she was. You play as a Cerberus operative or something which allows you the moral freedom to be good or bad while still having a narrative purpose.

I like being Merlin personally

Wasn't all the Rachni stuff before Humans came along?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taear posted:

Wasn't all the Rachni stuff before Humans came along?

Waaaaay before the humans came along, by about 600-900 years.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Moola posted:

Start War: Rogue Juan was pretty good.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

Start War: Rogue Juan was pretty good.

It had AT-STs and AT-ATs.

Darth Vader swung his light saber.

It broke new ground.

(it's ok to like bad things, we all play Mass Effect after all)

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 13:14 on May 10, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DancingShade posted:

(it's ok to like bad things, we all play Mass Effect after all)

Look, I'm only human after all

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
it's pretty weird to see, and kind of reveals RLM's SW fanboy side of things, that they basically sucked down TFA with nary a critical thought but cut down Rogue One for things like including star destroyers and atsts

unlike tfa, which didn't even have the basic fact of being set immediately before a new hope.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think they were willing to give TFA the benefit of the doubt but when Rogue One came out they saw the writing on the wall and realized that Disney was just going to go down the route of slavish fanservice with tortuous references to everything, no matter how irrelevant. Much like Mass Effect: Andromeda!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

exquisite tea posted:

I think they were willing to give TFA the benefit of the doubt but when Rogue One came out they saw the writing on the wall and realized that Disney was just going to go down the route of slavish fanservice with tortuous references to everything, no matter how irrelevant. Much like Mass Effect: Andromeda!

i like rlm and all but it feels like if disney had've, say, invented new storm troopers and star destroyers and x-wings for R1, rlm would've been saying 'they invented new things just to sell toys'

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Is the new patch out yet?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

~75 minutes from now

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Moola posted:

I'm sorry you hate fun

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's a mistake to overthink RLM's take on Star Wars stuff - they basically found an entertaining comedy angle that hit the mark and are running with it.

There may or may not be various legit artistic criticism in there too. I mostly just want more Nerd Crew and Rich Evans masturbating into a Star Wars cinema paper cup while wearing a Darth Vader mask.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

You know that they get the plans but the story is successful by focusing on the people.

Yes, all those memorable people that were such great characters. Like umm... the robot. And that guy I can't remember. And I think there was another guy?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

RLM seem like they yeah, struck gold on one particular take and are now committed to the tone of that take in perpetuity even if it isn't funny or accurate. Which is a bummer.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ashpanash posted:

Yes, all those memorable people that were such great characters. Like umm... the robot. And that guy I can't remember. And I think there was another guy?

Well I remember there was a chick who was surprisingly not Lara Croft which was my first assumption because of the accent and all the dirt.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I'm sorry you hate fun

Maybe 10% of the movie was any fun, the rest was a complete and utter slog. The entire first half of the movie felt like ME:A's interplanetary movement boondoggle.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

ashpanash posted:

I liked the blind not Jedi, Female Han Solo and Rebel Spy Man

:shrug:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Android Blues posted:

RLM seem like they yeah, struck gold on one particular take and are now committed to the tone of that take in perpetuity even if it isn't funny or accurate. Which is a bummer.

I'm pretty sure we can still call it accurate and funny.

Speaking of which if you haven't watched the new Blade Runner trailer followed by the RLM take where Rich Evans auditions for the lead role then holy poo poo, you need to see it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCcx85zbxz4 Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZOLKwSsFik RLM

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I liked the blind not Jedi, Female Han Solo and Rebel Spy Man

:shrug:

Why? What did they do that made them good characters?

Would you have liked them if it were Generic Action Franchise #8 and not Star Wars?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I liked the blind not Jedi

You mean Asian Yoda? Gotta get that Chinese market somehow.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Sorry folks, Rogue One was a Good Movie

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

fruit on the bottom posted:

I beg to differ. Rogue One was a bad movie with a few fun parts AND Mass Effect Andromeda is a bad game with a few fun parts.

If you try to disagree I will fire the special prosecutor.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I liked Rogue One because all of the characters got murked hard.

It's exactly what you should expect when the B Team tries to lead a movie- everyone dies and the job is barely a success at all.

I'm also a giant fan of Peter Cushing so getting to see him in a new movie in the year 2016/2017 was pretty great even if it was through not quite there yet CGI.

Also the Empire traitor dude was a pretty good character, as was the robit. And both died! Huge plus.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Rogue One was the ME:A of Star Wars

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

The plot was a foregone conclusion (Spoiler: they get the plans) so they only things they could have done were a character-based story (you know, where we learn about people, understand their motivations and plight, and empathize with them as they go through their arcs) or a lame Star Wars pastiche that rides solely on nostalgia.

They did the latter. Absurdly similar to what Bioware did with ME:A.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

ashpanash posted:

I beg to differ. Rogue One was a bad movie with a few fun parts AND Mass Effect Andromeda is a bad game with a few fun parts.

If you try to disagree I will fire the special prosecutor.

I disagree with the first half, so please lightly reprimand the special prosecutor.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

Rogue One was the ME:A of Star Wars

Now that I think about it that's not fair, Andromeda had less awkward facial animations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ashpanash posted:

The plot was a foregone conclusion (Spoiler: they get the plans) so they only things they could have done were a character-based story (you know, where we learn about people, understand their motivations and plight, and empathize with them as they go through their arcs) or a lame Star Wars pastiche that rides solely on nostalgia.

They did the latter. Absurdly similar to what Bioware did with ME:A.

I already know how ME2 ends. It's still pretty fun and engaging to go through the plot.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I already know how ME2 ends. It's still pretty fun and engaging to go through the plot.

Right, because it has good characters with actual dimensionality, and those characters have clear motivations and acted accordingly. That's what makes it a good story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ugh. R1 was bland, but I enjoyed the ending - not because I hated the characters or whatever, but becuase it was pretty bold storytelling in the star wars universe. It was like the opposite of Mass Effect 3: the game.

R1 was better than TFA, however. What a fuckin joke rehash of the original. At least both movies had female main characters, which was a nice change.

Nobody cares if you know how it's going to end (or you shouldn't :spergin:), if it's told well, with solid characters. Those last two things, unfortunately, aren't Bioware-B's jam, as demonstrated, anymore.

edit: is there really a patch due out today? Can someone post the patch notes, please? :allears: