Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Banana Man posted:

Could someone kindly break down the differences between codex and millennium blades? I'm having trouble wrapping my heads around them.

Isn't millennium blades more a "ccg's the game", vs codex which is more of a card game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I want a 199X game where the entire thing is manipulating the secondary market to profit off a fictional CCG based around release dates and big tournaments.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Codex is a game inspired by MTG. Millennium Blades is a game inspired by the experience of MTG.

Millennium Blades owns.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Millennium Blades is a board game, Codex is a dueling game a la Magic the Gathering. Millennium Blades owns, Codex is divisive around here.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Hmm which game is better with more than 2 people?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Millennium Blades, hands down.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
They're very different games.

Codex is a two-player game that uses Magic-style mechanics and deckbuilding elements to vaguely simulate the experience of playing Warcraft III. It has a multiplayer variant, but it feels like a tacked-on afterthought and isn't very good.

Millennium Blades is a multiplayer game that uses a real-time market and tableau-building elements to vaguely simulate the experience of playing Magic. It has a two-player variant, but it feels like a tacked-on afterthought and isn't very good.

If you're still confused:

Millennium Blades was created by David Talton, a designer best know for adapting 2D fighting games into tabletop games. MB was a long-running pipe dream of his, which he eventually funded through Kickstarter.

Codex was created by David Sirlin, a designer best known for adapting 2D fighting games into tabletop games. Codex was a long-running pipe dream of his, which he eventually funded through Patreon and Kickstarter.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 10, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

MB doesn't simulate playing Magic, it simulates the aspect of BEING a Magic player. It's an important distinction. The game is about collecting, trading, opening booster packs, deck building, new set releases, and tournaments, the elements that make up collectible card games.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Note that the "card game" component to MB is basically just playing cards that combo with each other for abstracted tournament points. And then once you figure out how your opponent's decks work, find a way to counter their bullshit.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I just realized that if you held a gun to my head and made me pick between Yomi and Battlecon, it wouldn't even be a discussion, but if you made me pick between Pixel Tactics and Puzzle Strike, I'd pull the trigger myself.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

PMush Perfect posted:

I just realized that if you held a gun to my head and made me pick between Yomi and Battlecon, it wouldn't even be a discussion, but if you made me pick between Pixel Tactics and Puzzle Strike, I'd pull the trigger myself.

Exact opposite for me. BattleCON and Yomi are both golden cows for me, but I look at Pixel Tactics and it's like I'm lookin' at a perfectly acceptable car that I sold to a stranger.

(Anyone wanna buy a shitload of Pixel Tactics?)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah, Yomi is so much better than BattleCON, it's unbelievable.

terebikun
May 27, 2016
I played City of Horror the other night, and...Mall of Horror might be better? None of us had played City of Horror before, but I had played Mall. Most of the game people were double checking the rulebook and the game aid to check what all their powers do, their items do, the city locations do, and none of it ever added up to any super interesting plays. The armory burned down, and I imagine the water tower would be just as anticlimactic, despite what SUSD say. After the end of the game (we ended it a little early for time reasons fwiw) half the players would disinterestedly murmuring stuff about "oh, I forgot/didn't realize this character did this, oh well". Maybe it was a problem of no one being familiar enough with all the different parts and symbols, but when I played Mall of Horror with a bunch of new gamers it was incredibly tense. The most memorable part of Mall, jockeying for position in the security room, seemed to have been really diluted. Maybe it was the wrong group of people, maybe it wasn't the right number (although 4 should be fine), but I still have to give the point to Mall of Horror.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tekopo posted:

I mean, objectively, I get that Yomi is tuned like a watch, but I will never have a playgroup dedicated enough to find that depth, and it just loses something when not played in person. BattleCON is much easier to get someone to play, since everything is right in front of them, and they get that "Ohhhhh" moment much sooner.

You just have to be careful about what characters to pick.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

terebikun posted:

I played City of Horror the other night, and...Mall of Horror might be better? None of us had played City of Horror before, but I had played Mall. Most of the game people were double checking the rulebook and the game aid to check what all their powers do, their items do, the city locations do, and none of it ever added up to any super interesting plays. The armory burned down, and I imagine the water tower would be just as anticlimactic, despite what SUSD say. After the end of the game (we ended it a little early for time reasons fwiw) half the players would disinterestedly murmuring stuff about "oh, I forgot/didn't realize this character did this, oh well". Maybe it was a problem of no one being familiar enough with all the different parts and symbols, but when I played Mall of Horror with a bunch of new gamers it was incredibly tense. The most memorable part of Mall, jockeying for position in the security room, seemed to have been really diluted. Maybe it was the wrong group of people, maybe it wasn't the right number (although 4 should be fine), but I still have to give the point to Mall of Horror.

I know what you mean about 'what do the symbols do', I seem to recall there's even a couple of character abilities that just use a symbol that's the same as a card symbol but actually have some other rules tied to them? There's no quick reference card, so you have to basically have the manual open at the relevant page all game. I think forgetting what a character does is ENTIRELY on your players though, they're once per game actions that are critical to your ability to win, like MOST of the tension in the game is to do with flipping your characters, and you only have two. You'd have to be pretty unengaged to forget those?

There are actually two boards to City of Horror (it took us WAAAAY too many plays to realise this) and on one side its a lot harder than the other. We found that the hard board games were GREAT, but the easy board games were questionable. It's a lot like battlestar, in that the actual fun of the game isn't really generated by the boardgame, more by all the accusations, double crossing and politicking done during the game. You absolutely have to be trying to cut deals the whole time, otherwise it's incredibly bland. We've had games of City of Horror that have gone down in the annals of history for double crosses and backstabs, tainting players reputations forever! (In a lighthearted way of course.)

By no means do I think its a great game, but certainly for our playgroup its allowed some great experiences. I'll have to check out Mall of Horror if you think it might be better!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

I mean, objectively, I get that Yomi is tuned like a watch, but I will never have a playgroup dedicated enough to find that depth, and it just loses something when not played in person. BattleCON is much easier to get someone to play, since everything is right in front of them, and they get that "Ohhhhh" moment much sooner.

You just have to be careful about what characters to pick.
I found it almost impossible to get people to play Yomi casually, and I've so far only managed to get one person to play it regularly with me, and that's because he was already a Fighting Game player and knew the score when it comes to Superturbo. Which is what Yomi is, just Superturbo the game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tekopo posted:

I found it almost impossible to get people to play Yomi casually, and I've so far only managed to get one person to play it regularly with me, and that's because he was already a Fighting Game player and knew the score when it comes to Superturbo. Which is what Yomi is, just Superturbo the game.
I can't even stick with Divekick, I think Yomi just isn't for me.

terebikun
May 27, 2016

!Klams posted:

I know what you mean about 'what do the symbols do', I seem to recall there's even a couple of character abilities that just use a symbol that's the same as a card symbol but actually have some other rules tied to them? There's no quick reference card, so you have to basically have the manual open at the relevant page all game. I think forgetting what a character does is ENTIRELY on your players though, they're once per game actions that are critical to your ability to win, like MOST of the tension in the game is to do with flipping your characters, and you only have two. You'd have to be pretty unengaged to forget those?

There are actually two boards to City of Horror (it took us WAAAAY too many plays to realise this) and on one side its a lot harder than the other. We found that the hard board games were GREAT, but the easy board games were questionable. It's a lot like battlestar, in that the actual fun of the game isn't really generated by the boardgame, more by all the accusations, double crossing and politicking done during the game. You absolutely have to be trying to cut deals the whole time, otherwise it's incredibly bland. We've had games of City of Horror that have gone down in the annals of history for double crosses and backstabs, tainting players reputations forever! (In a lighthearted way of course.)

By no means do I think its a great game, but certainly for our playgroup its allowed some great experiences. I'll have to check out Mall of Horror if you think it might be better!

It's not great that there are a lot of proofreading errors where game stuff like item names are different in the manual from the actual cards (i.e. tear gas grenade is actually a can of mace). The players were a little scatter-brained as to their powers (and I found out after the game a couple of them had totally misunderstood their powers, like the Blonde or the Grandma) but we had 3 characters per player, not two. On top of a hand of items and 6 different city tile powers, I think it's a little understandable to drop the ball on some things. Unfortunately, that's pretty much where the game is made or broken.

We played with all A side tiles, which meant they were the quickest of all things in the game to understand, but most of them were rarely used. I will admit it may not have been the greatest group for the game, since at least one of the four players dislikes direct conflict, but I still didn't think the game would fall as flat as it did. With that said, one girl has asked to play again (and the girl who dislikes direct conflict suggested we play Dead of Winter instead) and if there's a game that would reward more plays it's definitely this. Still, Mall of Horror's simplicity made it instantly stand out, and I don't know how many more plays of City of Horror I'll be able to get so that it catches on.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

terebikun posted:

It's not great that there are a lot of proofreading errors where game stuff like item names are different in the manual from the actual cards (i.e. tear gas grenade is actually a can of mace). The players were a little scatter-brained as to their powers (and I found out after the game a couple of them had totally misunderstood their powers, like the Blonde or the Grandma) but we had 3 characters per player, not two. On top of a hand of items and 6 different city tile powers, I think it's a little understandable to drop the ball on some things. Unfortunately, that's pretty much where the game is made or broken.

We played with all A side tiles, which meant they were the quickest of all things in the game to understand, but most of them were rarely used. I will admit it may not have been the greatest group for the game, since at least one of the four players dislikes direct conflict, but I still didn't think the game would fall as flat as it did. With that said, one girl has asked to play again (and the girl who dislikes direct conflict suggested we play Dead of Winter instead) and if there's a game that would reward more plays it's definitely this. Still, Mall of Horror's simplicity made it instantly stand out, and I don't know how many more plays of City of Horror I'll be able to get so that it catches on.

Sorry, you're totally right, it is 3 isn't it. I think we just always have someone die so quickly I'm used to only having two, lol. Fair enough, when its the first time you've played you might not realise how important they are and having three where it's not clear what they are is a fair amount to bother to remember.

Yeah, like, I totally appreciate its not very good. It's maybe just one of the few games I've played (possibly because we hosed up the rules) where it's almost impossible for everyone to survive to the end and score, and that makes a really good social game, because it forces plea bargains, trades, etc. Like if you get to near the end of the game, and you've got everyone surviving, then everyone votes against you / throws you to the slaughter / wont give you stuff, and all of a sudden you're utterly hosed. So you have to walk that line, you HAVE to pay your way and pull your weight, you can't just look out for yourself and play your own game, you HAVE to get involved in the muck and mire of the politics. That's basically all I like about it. I'm loving terminally bored of zombies in any capacity, the rules are indeed unclear, flavour is lacking and the board is kind of dull, but getting into a desperate plea bargain to vote for another person to die in exchange for all your stuff, convincing everyone and then not giving anyone a thing is just funny every time. Getting faux angry with someone so that people assume you'll vote or act one way and then playing a card that totally fucks someone else is always amazing. I guess I just kinda like a game where 'being a dick' and 'being honest and nice' are both equally valid strategies, and they don't involve playing the 'Be a dick' card or putting more meeples on the 'honesty tile' but actually just... you know. Doing it for realsies.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 10, 2017

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Gutter Owl posted:

Exact opposite for me. BattleCON and Yomi are both golden cows for me, but I look at Pixel Tactics and it's like I'm lookin' at a perfectly acceptable car that I sold to a stranger.

(Anyone wanna buy a shitload of Pixel Tactics?)

You just reminded me that Achewood is dead and now i'm sad. Thanks a bunch, buddy!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Hot take here wow

Yomi, like all Sirlin games, is a soulless and joyless exercise in game design. Battlecon is more enjoyable in every way: design, mechanics, character uniqueness, a spatial component (which is a big deal when your game is mimicking a fighting game), and play across the casual-competitive spectrum due to not being a glorified paper rock scissors/War mashup.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 10, 2017

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Sirlin is joyless and soulless, makes sense

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Hot take here wow

Yomi, like all Sirlin games, is a soulless and joyless exercise in game design. Battlecon is more enjoyable in every way: design, mechanics, character uniqueness, a spatial component (which is a big deal when your game is mimicking a fighting game), and play across the casual-competitive spectrum due to not being a glorified paper rock scissors/War mashup.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think that BattleCON is a bad design, but there are several things that mean I don't enjoy it as much as Yomi, including the fact that it is AP prone, it doesn't really have mechanisms to model combos, hit connects, wake-up (which are a big deal when your game is mimicking a fighting game), the characters in Yomi feel pretty unique to me and play very differently from each other. Also, Yomi feels more like Street Fighter (and especially Superturbo) than an air-dasher like BattleCON, and that appeals to me more. I think BattleCON has the tighter design and mechanisms, but I wouldn't say that Yomi is soulless and joyless, and that its design is also good and has been emulated somewhat with EXCEED, which I feel is a hybrid of the genre: I think all three games are trying to model different experiences of the fight game genre and they are both equally valid.

Where Yomi breaks down is, however, as you pointed out, when you play with a beginner, because the entire game is based on matchup knowledge and knowing that an opponent will weigh some choices more than others, and if one of the players is not on board with this, it doesn't work, which makes it difficult to introduce the game to others. Once you get into it, though, I feel that Yomi can be very rewarding, especially if you play with a regular opponent.

Also I was making a joke.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

w00tmonger posted:

I've been having a hard time getting a copy of feast for odin in Canada, and great board games just got a bunch in stock if anyone's interested!

http://www.greatboardgames.ca/a-feast-for-odin.html

Only ships to Canada! Wtf ..

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Also I was making a joke.

This is an excuse for ???

A game breaking down between a veteran and a beginner is one of the most frustrating results in game design. People praise Sirlin for his tight design but I see this as a fatal flaw. If it relies on playing correctly, then what role does skill have in a match between a veteran and beginner?

I like discussing Sirlin games because he's an outlier in the industry and does some interesting things, but every one of them ends up with major issues, admittedly subjective in some cases, like the art and faction designs in Codex being so unoriginal and inconsistent it makes me want to barf.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 12:50 on May 10, 2017

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

This is an excuse for ???

A game breaking down between a veteran and a beginner is one of the most frustrating results in game design. People praise Sirlin for his tight design but I see this as a fatal flaw. If it relies on playing correctly, then what role does skill have in a match between a veteran and beginner? I like discussing Sirlin games because he's an outlier in the industry and does some interesting things, but every one of them ends up with major issues.
It means that I don't actually believe that Yomi is overwhelmingly better than BattleCON like my original post seemed to suggest. Lighten up.

We were discussing the above in the Discord and what we ended up with is that you can't play the same way against a beginner than a veteran, because you have to be a lot more defensive and careful. This is only partially true within BattleCON, but it is also true in fighting games. I still think that overall, a more experienced player will win, on average, against a newbie in both games. What I mean by breaking down is that a game between a beginner and an experienced player is not very interesting, generally does not feature many mind-games and the game is a lot worse overall. I don't enjoy games with beginners as much as I enjoy them against experienced players, but this isn't something unique to Yomi. I've had the same experiences with EXCEED or Codex, where people were interested but didn't want to invest the time to learn the game.
Other examples are Puerto Rico, Agricola, any drafting game, or hell, Twilight Struggle.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Speaking of millennium blades, it's deal of the day at miniature market for $45

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Huxley posted:

I want a 199X game where the entire thing is manipulating the secondary market to profit off a fictional CCG based around release dates and big tournaments.

:same: but I also want the 20XX expansion, now with r/mtgfinance.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

It's not like go works between a novice and an expert. I'd treat sirlin 2p games like yomi as abstracts, tbh, which very often break down in that situation.

Expensive for an abstract, except a nice goban is pricey too...

Dancer
May 23, 2011

silvergoose posted:

It's not like go works between a novice and an expert. I'd treat sirlin 2p games like yomi as abstracts, tbh, which very often break down in that situation.

Expensive for an abstract, except a nice goban is pricey too...

Non-abstracts can break down equally hard. A newbie would have a pretty bad experience playing Galaxy Trucker against me and my friends who are regulars (which is why we usually handicap ourselves in multiple ways). In other games you can do stuff from behind, but he'd basically only have half a ship leading to a qualitatively different experience. Then there's war games...

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

terebikun posted:

Dude, I just taught you to play Kemet last weekend, and I had player references for everyone printed out in advance.

Whenever you teach a game that uses iconography instead of printed text, always make sure to have player references for every player. Libraries in the US have free printing, there's basically no excuse.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Dancer posted:

Non-abstracts can break down equally hard. A newbie would have a pretty bad experience playing Galaxy Trucker against me and my friends who are regulars (which is why we usually handicap ourselves in multiple ways). In other games you can do stuff from behind, but he'd basically only have half a ship leading to a qualitatively different experience. Then there's war games...

Ah, but Trucker actually works okay because the fun of it is building your ship and having it be blown apart. Similarly, worker placements you usually are building up your stuff, and if an opponent has better stuff than you, you still can feel like you accomplished something.

Really it's that "multiplayer solitaire" has a better shot in this situation of the novice having fun, whereas more directly competitive, especially zero sum 2p abstracts can just not have any enjoyment on either side.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

Dude, I just taught you to play Kemet last weekend, and I had player references for everyone printed out in advance.

Whenever you teach a game that uses iconography instead of printed text, always make sure to have player references for every player. Libraries in the US have free printing, there's basically no excuse.

Free printing? That's pretty cool.

I went and had enough copies of the DI cards/Power Tiles rule sheets copied and laminated so that everyone could have a page to look at since most people are always passing around the 'splainer sheet anyway. Very useful!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Some games are designed for people who want to go deep on them - it's not like Twilight Struggle, which was reigning champ of BGG for several years, isn't completely inaccessible to new players either. It just takes a lot of effort to be good. Dominion is the same way, although it tends not to feel like it to new players because they rarely play people who understand the game. Yomi is hard to play and hard to find someone to play with, but it simply does things battlecon is incapable of doing, full stop. Accessibility is merely one metric by which to judge a game, and there's oodles of strong games with poor accessibility.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

lol not even close

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

Libraries in the US have free printing, there's basically no excuse.

How's life in the alternate socialist universe without a tangerine toddler for president?

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
I feel dirty for spending my bonus check on Into The Echoside, but here we are.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

FulsomFrank posted:

Free printing? That's pretty cool.

I went and had enough copies of the DI cards/Power Tiles rule sheets copied and laminated so that everyone could have a page to look at since most people are always passing around the 'splainer sheet anyway. Very useful!

This guy gets it.

When a game uses iconography, you, the proud owner and perpetual guide to said game, are asking a lot of your players. You are asking them to not only learn the game rules, but also to memorise the icons used in gameplay.

Perhaps I simply have low expectations of people, but I make an effort to give players as much information reference as possible. Some games are better at this than others, and will include organised player boards, cheat sheets, or have details printed on the cards.

Venerable old Pandemic is a great example of a game that I can teach to my grandmother without any extra work. Player actions are printed on a helpful reference card (and the box comes with one for each player), the board has turn sequence information, and the Epidemic rules are entirely self contained on the Epidemic cards themselves.

Kemet is a an example of a great game with terrible teaching aids. It contains a player boards with iconography instead of text, similarly icon based cards and tiles, and only a single power reference sheet. It is not reasonable to expect first time players or non-gamers to remember what "+1 ankh, foot, blue square" means. If everyone has to constantly check the single, solitary reference booklet, the game will definitely drag on longer than necessary.

If you want playing a games to be fun, you owe it to yourself to do everything you can to make that game fun. Even if you don't care if other players are having fun, you personally will have a better time by taking steps to avoid these problems.

You are responsible for your own orgasm, people!

EDIT: Maybe free printing isn't universal in US libraries, but I know for a fact that it is in terebikun's city!

Vlaada Chvatil fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 10, 2017

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

You are responsible for your own orgasm, people!

Insert joke about always sleeving your cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Wait are you actually Vlaada Chvatil? :psypop: If so I dig your games!