Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

yellowcar posted:

Goddamn it Rags, you suck.

Yah, WE KNOW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

lol I had no idea John Oliver of all people liked hockey.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Aye Doc posted:

when's the last time one skater was as directly responsible for his team's success as Karlsson is? Bure on those putrid Panthers teams? I definitely can't think of any other slightly good teams who were that dependent on one non-goalie

Fernando Pisani

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/btaplatt/status/862138983849086976

:lol:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Man I completely forgot about him

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Xtanstic posted:

Man I completely forgot about him

Never forget Knob Hockey

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Maybe the Sens can actually generate some shot attempts on the Caps since they have a real defenseman on their blueline. It worked for the Pens last year with Letang.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

yellowcar posted:

lol I had no idea John Oliver of all people liked hockey.

I don't think it is him. It could be, but he's made a *lot* of jokes about hockey in the past and is very definitively a Soccer first person.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Schlesische posted:

I don't think it is him. It could be, but he's made a *lot* of jokes about hockey in the past and is very definitively a Soccer first person.
You can go to a game and not be a super fan.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

fits posted:

just give karlsson the conn smythe now

https://twitter.com/HockeyWebCast/status/862156005005832192

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

:stare: dude is apparently a machine

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Spring Break My Heart posted:

He's wearing what looks like a rangers jacket, a rangers jersey and a rangers hat.
The guy in the shot is a superfan.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
He's a rich celebrity. It's not like he's saving paychecks for a jersey

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Case in point: I've been to a basketball game

Like I actually paid earth money to go and watch. Can you believe this crazy world!!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I once saw the Expos live.

The worst team in the worst sport.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Aphrodite posted:

The worst team in the worst sport.

DC United. What do I win?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
DC United has won a lot of championships though. I remember from when I was a child and still thought soccer was cool.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Schlesische posted:

What does any of this mean? He has writers who write those jokes, doesn't necessarily mean he believes them and also who cares? It's NYC. Celebrities show up. Margot Robbie is a huge fan and goes to lots of games.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Now do one with Girardi

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Ginette Reno posted:

Now do one with Girardi

Found it

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I am pleased that the rest of the world is finally starting to figure out 1) EK is the best hockeyman on earth and 2) defensemen own, especially in the playoffs.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

I am pleased that the rest of the world is finally starting to figure out 1) EK is the best hockeyman on earth and 2) defensemen own, especially in the playoffs.

You don't even have to watch the Sens to realize that latter point. Just watch the Penguins try to break the puck out without Letang.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I can comfort myself by knowing that there are habs fans losing their mind over the fact that it was the sens who bested the rangers

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

It's going to be good when ek leaves Ottawa to play for a team that is not owned/managed by dumbasses

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I still maintain that the Sens are the only Canadian team allowed to win the cup because, despite arguments to the contrary, I just know the hand-wringing in the rest of the country, namely Toronto and Montreal, will be so good pump that thick poo poo straight into my veins

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I still maintain that the Sens are the only Canadian team allowed to win the cup because, despite arguments to the contrary, I just know the hand-wringing in the rest of the country, namely Toronto and Montreal, will be so good pump that thick poo poo straight into my veins

No one in this country gives the slightest crap about Ottawa, it's just so polite, bureaucratic and forgettable. How the rest of the world views Canada is how Canadians view Ottawa. A Senators cup win would barely register in the national consciousness.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

ThinkTank posted:

No one in this country gives the slightest crap about Ottawa, it's just so polite, bureaucratic and forgettable. How the rest of the world views Canada is how Canadians view Ottawa. A Senators cup win would barely register in the national consciousness.

I know the upper house has been getting more independent but they're battling for a cup now?

:v:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Teemu Pokemon posted:

This would require Eugene Melnyk to be happy which is not a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

All Canadian teams winning is unacceptable though because there will be endless fluff articles about how [x] team brought the cup "home". If the Pens can't do it I'd rather see Pk Subban riding through Montreal with it in a cowboy hat and with a cigar in his mouth.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Ginette Reno posted:

All Canadian teams winning is unacceptable though because there will be endless fluff articles about how [x] team brought the cup "home". If the Pens can't do it I'd rather see Pk Subban riding through Montreal with it in a cowboy hat and with a cigar in his mouth.

Which is to say "culturally appropriating cowboy regalia and presenting a poor role model for our children with social tobacco use". He'll probably also be showing an unacceptable amount of exuberance by dancing.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

Canada finally wins a cup and all of you pretending not to care is pretty much exactly what I'm talking about

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ThinkTank posted:

Nice meltdown.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Canada finally wins a cup and all of you pretending not to care is pretty much exactly what I'm talking about

I genuinely like Ottawa as a city and I'd be a-okay with them winning the cup. They're the only other Canadian team I'd root for to do so before the Canucks. Plus they have Alex Burrows who I will love forever :shobon:

I think you're seriously overestimating how little people think about Ottawa. Any other Canadian team sure, you'd see a ton of crazy whining from other Canadian team fans (the fact that Edmonton could legitimately do it this year makes me break out in a cold sweat). However, with Ottawa it would be like if the San Diego Padres went on a playoff run, because I mean who has any ill will towards the city of San Diego?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i think all of the canadian team fanbases would be really bitter that it was some nothing trash pile with a cheapskate owner who finally managed to bring lord stanley's cup back to its homeland on the back of sweden's finest son

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

They can't even sell out playoff games while you need to trade a kidney for Leafs tickets and they suddenly become CANADA'S TEAM and you're sitting here with a straight face any telling me no one would give a poo poo

Imagine all the 6-11 year olds who would become Sens fans and how much that would fuckin rule when adults starting crying millennials and a European captain succeeded where Koivu, Sundin, and the Sedins failed like a bunch o punk asses

Aye Doc posted:

i think all of the canadian team fanbases would be really bitter that it was some nothing trash pile with a cheapskate owner who finally managed to bring lord stanley's cup back to its homeland on the back of sweden's finest son

This would be the moment that makes Don Cherry fail the Turing Test

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 10, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

I genuinely like Ottawa as a city and I'd be a-okay with them winning the cup. They're the only other Canadian team I'd root for to do so before the Canucks. Plus they have Alex Burrows who I will love forever :shobon:

I think you're seriously overestimating how little people think about Ottawa. Any other Canadian team sure, you'd see a ton of crazy whining from other Canadian team fans (the fact that Edmonton could legitimately do it this year makes me break out in a cold sweat). However, with Ottawa it would be like if the San Diego Padres went on a playoff run, because I mean who has any ill will towards the city of San Diego?

This is kind of how I see it. Is Ottawa really a draw at all, even in Canada?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Trying to say ThinkTank is preparing excuses in advance is absurd because Teemu's hypothetical is not actually possible.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

DJExile posted:

This is kind of how I see it. Is Ottawa really a draw at all, even in Canada?

I mean, that's exactly what I'm saying though

To use Tank's example in reverse. Imagine if the Blue Jays, returned Expos and expansion Vancouver Seals win every World Series for 15 years, then the loving incredible mountain of takes that would come from New York/Boston when the previously ignored Padres bring the championship back to America.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I mean, that's exactly what I'm saying though

To use Tank's example in reverse. Imagine if the Blue Jays, returned Expos and expansion Vancouver Seals win every World Series for 15 years, then the loving incredible mountain of takes that would come from New York/Boston when the previously ignored Padres bring the championship back to America.

Okay, I see what you're getting at. Yes, of course there will be a bunch of stuff about 'bringing the cup home' if and when a Canadian team finally wins it. However, Ottawa is just about the most palatable choice for doing so because their fan base is the smallest in the country and the team and city are generally well regarded coast to coast. If Toronto or Montreal won it people would be up in arms and radio shows would be flooded with "NOT MAH TEAM" calls (sorta like how the country seemed to unite against the Canucks in 2011) but with Ottawa people will likely just shrug and say "well I guess that streak is over now."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Senators likely have the 3rd or 4th smallest hockey fanbase even in Ottawa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

If Toronto or Montreal won it people would be up in arms and radio shows would be flooded with "NOT MAH TEAM" calls (sorta like how the country seemed to unite against the Canucks in 2011) but with Ottawa people will likely just shrug and say "well I guess that streak is over now."

That's why Ottawa winning would own: full on rage takes don't hold a loving candle to suppressed rage takes

• Locked thread