Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Simon Danczuk: Ex-Labour MP denies rape allegation

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

The Insect Court posted:

Not that there's anything new with the "Corbyn's brilliant master plan was always to lose horribly" excuse from the Corbynistas, but it's always nice to hear it laid out so clearly and insanely.

So if by some miracle Corbyn doesn't lead the Labour party into a slaughter in the election and a colossal 100+ seat Tory majority, does that mean by your "logic" he's failed because not enough of the hated Blairites/Reptilians have been purged by the electorate?

People that disagree with you are insane? This is a novel and endearing debate method.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Looks like he won't be getting a very cozy place at Murdoch media after all.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

MikeCrotch posted:

Plus, isn't the point of the media to hold the powerful to account and point out their lies and inconsistencies, which *clearly* isn't happening in the case of Tory policy escaping proper scrutiny on a regular basis, despite things like austerity having been shown to be completely terrible?

there's a bit to unpack here

for one, the mob does like to see the arrogant brought low. what fun! egg the snotty bastard. that's not quite the same thing as holding the powerful to account, however. you don't have to pry through one of chomsky's doorstoppers to realize this

for another, "Labour rejects Austerity" is not, you know, news. it is already firmly embedded in the zeitgeist that Labour is profligate and loves spending. The Cruel Policies Of This Tory Government is a theme song that every British voter alive has heard more than once. would you like a brief interview with a family on benefits to go with your unhappy meal? this is not a message that is suffering mainly from a lack of exposure

like the fact that People in Africa are Starving, it is quite possible to become completely inured to appeals to one's outrage. It's not even a very fun outrage! It's got all these complications in it. If you want really pure distilled outrage, any WHSmith's will probably have an expansive misery lit section, just waiting for your 3 for 2 purchase.

ronya fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 10, 2017

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

ronya posted:

there's a bit to unpack here

for one, the mob does like to see the arrogant brought low. what fun! egg the snotty bastard. that's not quite the same thing as holding the powerful to account, however. you don't have to pry through one of chomsky's doorstoppers to realize this

for another, "Labour rejects Austerity" is not, you know, news. it is already firmly embedded in the zeitgeist that Labour is profligate and loves spending. The Cruel Policies Of This Tory Government is a theme song that every British voter alive has heard more than once. would you like a brief interview with a family on benefits to go with your unhappy meal? this is not a message that is suffering mainly from a lack of exposure

like the fact that People in Africa are Starving, it is quite possible to become completely inured to appeals to one's outrage. It's not even a very fun outrage! If you want really pure distilled outrage, any corner WHSmith's will probably have an expansive misery lit section, just waiting for your 3 for 2 purchase

It's not about exposure, though, its about framing. Austerity is framed as a difficult decision which must be taken for the good of the economy and future generations. The response to this, especially in the media, is to focus on the easy-to-see, immediate (and genuinely horrible) human stories of those on the sharp end. It's treated as if its a question of heart vs head, rather than a question of whether 'expansionary fiscal contraction' is bullshit and we should pursue an alternative set of economic policies. The key argument against austerity is that it has consistently failed to achieve its stated aims. This is hardly interrogated at all by the media. You hardly ever hear from, for example, Ann Pettifor or other prominent economics talking about the problems with the UK's current approach.

"Why is the UK Government's economic strategy failing?" should be dominating absolutely every aspect of modern politics. The "long term economic plan" was the Conservative's slogan for years, yet we have terrible productivity, an unprecedented decline in wages, increasing levels of insecure work, massive skills shortages in key areas, and a housing crisis. Almost every problem in these areas is being exacerbated by Government policy.

You can argue that this is all very dry and the human interest stuff is easier to report on, which is true. It's also true that austerity economics allow for simple household budgeting analogies. But this will be the case for almost any left/right split, conservative explanations tend to be simpler. This doesn't mean we should accept lower levels of scrutiny. It's also revealing how quickly the sensible centrists in the broadcast media suddenly regain their interest in policy details and the technical stuff when they are faced with something like a pay cap, free hospital parking or free school meals.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

MikeCrotch posted:

Plus, isn't the point of the media to hold the powerful to account and point out their lies and inconsistencies, which *clearly* isn't happening in the case of Tory policy escaping proper scrutiny on a regular basis, despite things like austerity having been shown to be completely terrible?
The point of the print media is to sell newspapers, which may involve doing that but doesn't have to

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
https://twitter.com/daily_politics

Are UKIP relevant any more? Let's discuss at excruciating length. That question was headline news on Look East the other day as well. I expect a Panorama ep on it, and probably a Horizon one and all.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
They're relevant in that they were some kind of Tory time bomb making idiots question why Corbyn couldn't appeal to these people over the Tories. UKIP down 9 points, Tories up 9 points!?!??!? CORBYNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Alertrelic posted:

It's not about exposure, though, its about framing. Austerity is framed as a difficult decision which must be taken for the good of the economy and future generations. The response to this, especially in the media, is to focus on the easy-to-see, immediate (and genuinely horrible) human stories of those on the sharp end. It's treated as if its a question of heart vs head, rather than a question of whether 'expansionary fiscal contraction' is bullshit and we should pursue an alternative set of economic policies. The key argument against austerity is that it has consistently failed to achieve its stated aims. This is hardly interrogated at all by the media. You hardly ever hear from, for example, Ann Pettifor or other prominent economics talking about the problems with the UK's current approach.

"Why is the UK Government's economic strategy failing?" should be dominating absolutely every aspect of modern politics. The "long term economic plan" was the Conservative's slogan for years, yet we have terrible productivity, an unprecedented decline in wages, increasing levels of insecure work, massive skills shortages in key areas, and a housing crisis. Almost every problem in these areas is being exacerbated by Government policy.

You can argue that this is all very dry and the human interest stuff is easier to report on, which is true. It's also true that austerity economics allow for simple household budgeting analogies. But this will be the case for almost any left/right split, conservative explanations tend to be simpler. This doesn't mean we should accept lower levels of scrutiny. It's also revealing how quickly the sensible centrists in the broadcast media suddenly regain their interest in policy details and the technical stuff when they are faced with something like a pay cap, free hospital parking or free school meals.

I dislike that, too, but I have resigned myself to the fact that anti-austerity politics is wholly conquered by people who are themselves gleefully susceptible to a heart-vs-head framing

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013
Tory 2015 election overspends were "Inaccurate but not dishonest" rules CPS and Electoral Commission

Oh good. I'm glad they get some leeway on this. It's not like it's anything important, like an ESA application or being 10 minutes late for a JSA appointment. Just a potentially election shifting funding distortion in dozens of key marginal seats. Wouldn't want to hold them to too high an accuracy standard.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

ronya posted:

I dislike that, too, but I have resigned myself to the fact that anti-austerity politics is wholly conquered by people who are themselves gleefully susceptible to a heart-vs-head framing

Well I mean people are literally dying because of austerity politics in entirely avoidable ways, so that doesn't seem necessarily like a bad thing

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Regarde Aduck posted:

They're relevant in that they were some kind of Tory time bomb making idiots question why Corbyn couldn't appeal to these people over the Tories. UKIP down 9 points, Tories up 9 points!?!??!? CORBYNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!
If you believed in the idea of J-Corbz' New Politics being attractive then scalping back Lib Dems who were angry over Iraq or working class UKIP voters in former Labour areas who were tired of paradropped Londoners and their patronising attitudes should have been aims 1 and 2. Doesn't look to've happened.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Undead Hippo posted:

Tory 2015 election overspends were "Inaccurate but not dishonest" rules CPS and Electoral Commission

Oh good. I'm glad they get some leeway on this. It's not like it's anything important, like an ESA application or being 10 minutes late for a JSA appointment. Just a potentially election shifting funding distortion in dozens of key marginal seats. Wouldn't want to hold them to too high an accuracy standard.

The UK is going to give a historic majority to a party that:

- ruined their economy by leaving the EU
- ruined their currency by leaving the EU
- is corrupt as poo poo
- has key people who lied to the public (350m to NHS)
- selected Boris Johnson as Foreign Minister
- Is led by a woman who told everyone she does not want early election - until she did

Your country deserves everything bad that is going to happen to you over the next decade.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well one of my work friends went off on a massive rant today about how we should kill everyone in the middle east because they're all stupid and can't stop having wars and that immigrants can't contribute anything to society and can't be trusted because they're inherently uncivilized, and that people who ran the country 300 years ago would be disgusted if they could see it now, and that we should have a white british only society.

So I guess that's that friendship done :( She seemed confused at my look of horror and inability to really say anything to her afterwards. I guess perhaps she expects me to understand and sympathise with her, or maybe her normal environment isn't critical of those sorts of ideas. I dunno. I can understand and sympathise that she is a product of an environment the same as the rest of us and that my environment simply leads me to different conclusions, but I can't just pretend like I'm not utterly horrified by what she said.

I wonder what she would say if I told her I'm bisexual and that within living memory that exact same thing has been said about people like me, and was used as justification for British state sponsored mutilation.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

people who ran the country 300 years ago would be disgusted if they could see it now
I mean I'm sure there would be disagreements between modernity and the views of the German immigrant Georg I, notably that Catholics are allowed to hold public office and people without any property are allowed to vote. I'm not sure that says anything about anything though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Am I reading this wrong or is he denying a rape allegation that isn't even directed at him?

Like, the article says a woman reported she was raped by a 50 year old man in westminster, and then subsequently that Danzcuck has denied it was him.

Guavanaut posted:

I mean I'm sure there would be disagreements between modernity and the views of the German immigrant Georg I, notably that Catholics are allowed to hold public office and people without any property are allowed to vote. I'm not sure that says anything about anything though.

I was, sadly, too stunned to suggest "yes they wouldn't let you vote or work because you're a woman and you would be the legal property of the father of your kids".

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 10, 2017

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

MikeCrotch posted:

Well I mean people are literally dying because of austerity politics in entirely avoidable ways, so that doesn't seem necessarily like a bad thing

the mistake is assuming that the median voter regards this (or, to be precise, the notion of a tough benefit cap) as an unfair outcome

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

gently caress off Nazi oval office

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The woman was probably too old for Danczuk, to be honest.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Bright side, I think Danczuk just managed to cost himself the sun job he had lined up in record time.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

GaussianCopula posted:

The UK is going to give a historic majority to a party that:

- ruined their economy by leaving the EU
- ruined their currency by leaving the EU
- is corrupt as poo poo
- has key people who lied to the public (350m to NHS)
- selected Boris Johnson as Foreign Minister
- Is led by a woman who told everyone she does not want early election - until she did

Your country deserves everything bad that is going to happen to you over the next decade.

Who are posts like these aimed at? No one here votes Tory. Are you trying to make people who already know this country is stupid, feel worse? Why? Why don't you find a den of British people that actually deserve your scorn?

Try GBS or something.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

ronya posted:

the mistake is assuming that the median voter regards this (or, to be precise, the notion of a tough benefit cap) as an unfair outcome

Is there a good survey or something like that out there which shows what the median voter regards as fair/unfair? And any insight into the story of UK politics they have (e.g. Labour spent all the money, then burnt the economy, then we need to do austerity, then... etc)?

I'm asking as I actually don't think I know any voters like that and that story & views are totally alien to me - it's disconcerting.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Regarde Aduck posted:

Who are posts like these aimed at? No one here votes Tory. Are you trying to make people who already know this country is stupid, feel worse? Why? Why don't you find a den of British people that actually deserve your scorn?

Try GBS or something.

I assume GC gets aroused by people to tell him to gently caress off.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Regarde Aduck posted:

The people who celebrated Corbyn's ascension and victory when he was challenged. The reason that the Conservatives can do whatever they feel like is because there is no effective opposition.

And before people tell me how Corbyn has all these great policy ideas, I'd like to quote Mr. Cartmenez "Look at the scoreboard, amigo"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

gently caress off, nazi.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

GaussianCopula posted:

The people who celebrated Corbyn's ascension and victory when he was challenged. The reason that the Conservatives can do whatever they feel like is because there is no effective opposition.

And before people tell me how Corbyn has all these great policy ideas, I'd like to quote Mr. Cartmenez "Look at the scoreboard, amigo"

No, the reason the Conservatives can do what they like is because of Brexit.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

GaussianCopula posted:

Get the gently caress off our streets, nazi

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Stabbatical posted:

Is there a good survey or something like that out there which shows what the median voter regards as fair/unfair? And any insight into the story of UK politics they have (e.g. Labour spent all the money, then burnt the economy, then we need to do austerity, then... etc)?

I'm asking as I actually don't think I know any voters like that and that story & views are totally alien to me - it's disconcerting.

We have a Tory government, mate.

Not enough people give a poo poo about "people dying" due to austerity policies. You have to sell them on the economic benefits of anti-austerity if you want to actually govern and end the tighten-our-belts nonsense.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
https://twitter.com/benwhitelaw/status/862200046019858432

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

OwlFancier posted:

Am I reading this wrong or is he denying a rape allegation that isn't even directed at him?

Like, the article says a woman reported she was raped by a 50 year old man in westminster, and then subsequently that Danzcuck has denied it was him.

He even says the police haven't asked him about it. :psyduck:

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

Regarde Aduck posted:

Try GBS or something.

I have voted for all 3 of the major (lol LD) parties once, iirc.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Tution worked so well before, Labour are reviving the lib dem pledge. Or not. Or something else entirely.

I've not seen any interesting new metaphors about an actual left wing manifesto being written so I hope everyone's ready to hear about the manifesto being Foot 2.0 for a month

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

So is nobody gonna call out that the deadline to say what the new state pension age is has passed? I mean, since the tories haven't said anything it's basically bound to go up (and also because tories) and they're just not gonna say anything until after the election. Nobody's even gonna bring it up? What a joke.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

sassassin posted:

We have a Tory government, mate.

Point taken but I'm not sure if that's enough by itself when the voting system is all hosed & turnout doesn't even make 70% of possible voters. Still, I guess I was asking about voters & not people who could but don't vote.

quote:

Not enough people give a poo poo about "people dying" due to austerity policies. You have to sell them on the economic benefits of anti-austerity if you want to actually govern and end the tighten-our-belts nonsense.

True. But how? What could possibly work, if nothing has before now?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Alchenar posted:

I recognise this, but I'm not sure you are strictly comparing like for like.

May doesn't get asked whether she'd stand down if she lost the election because it's an undoubted fact. Corbyn gets asked because it is an open question, then entirely unforced he gives an answer and response that makes it a big issue.

May has been asked repeatedly about brexit policy and has been widely mocked for 'Brexit means brexit', but ultimately a Conservative policy has emerged and there is a clear line that the UK is leaving the EU. Labour's policy is less clear on the ambitions for negotiations, and has been wildly inconsistent on whether the UK is definitely leaving - which is why it's a big deal when Corbyn refuses to give a straight answer when the question is asked.

Media management is the job of politicians, not the media. I'm not so sure there's an unfair bias going on so much as May is reaping the rewards of doing the hard work of establishing a reputation of credibility, whereas Corbyn and his team have never established that reputation and so have to fight that battle on every single issue.

The Guardian has an article on point: credibility gives you a freedom to get away with things that people without credibility can not.

The media decide whether or not they let themselves be 'managed'. It is entirely within the power of journalists to look at what Theresa May is doing and say 'you aren't answering our questions and are actively avoiding scrutiny. Also you lied about a bunch of stuff', but they don't. Instead they nod and smile when the microphone is taken away from them before they can ask a difficult question and go write an article about how amazing Theresa May is at managing the press.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I looked more into this, and it turns out that the Mail Online yesterday named him as the alleged rapist and claimed the police were going to interview him, then the Sun reported the Mail's report. No one else was willing to go near the story for fear of legal action until Danczuk denied it at which point everyone else barrelled in to report his denial (and thus by implication the allegation).

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Spangly A posted:

Tution worked so well before, Labour are reviving the lib dem pledge. Or not. Or something else entirely.

I've not seen any interesting new metaphors about an actual left wing manifesto being written so I hope everyone's ready to hear about the manifesto being Foot 2.0 for a month

Tuition fees are the biggest red herring in the loving world for the left. They don't impact the poorest because they only hit you once you earn above £21k which isn't living like a king or anything, but is still appreciable income. Even then, they're scaled in such a way that you're not going to be earning less if you hit that threshold.

So effectively the abolition of tuition fees allow the middle classes to do better at the cost of income to the state that could be distributed to the poorest and they're not proven to have a significant impact on university application. Even if they were, the very cash channeled from the rich fucker who earns £100k at Goldman could be channeled to provide much poorer people better access to university education.

The lib dems were loving idiots for supporting their abolition and labour are just as bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

On the other hand they hit you based entirely on your household income which probably means your parents' income which may not have any bearing on your income after you've already got them.

Education should be free to use and funded by taxing the wealthiest in society who may or may not be graduates and whose wealth may or may not be generated by graduates. There is no good reason to have tuition fees any more than there would be to charge people for using the NHS.

If you're talking about the repayment method then I see absolutely no reason why the government should be expected to guarantee debt with interest in lieu of paying for the service up front.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 10, 2017

• Locked thread