Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Ogmius815 posted:

Help I only watch the playoffs is it normal for games to go like 3 minutes without anyone scoring or was that as much of a ridiculous comedy of errors as it looked?

the rockets only played 7 dudes and the spurs starting PG played like 40 minutes or some poo poo when hes a bench player, oh and their best player got hurt. it happens with gassed teams basically and both of them were

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ogmius815 posted:

Help I only watch the playoffs is it normal for games to go like 3 minutes without anyone scoring?

as a bulls fan...yes

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I wonder how Harden feels getting blocked by one of his basketball idols

candide
Jun 16, 2002

The Tipping Point

Jota posted:

James Harden had one of the worst overtimes you'll ever see from a star player

hey now

don't forget the turnover on Houston's last possession in regulation

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

I wonder how Harden feels getting blocked by one of his basketball idols

He's sadly withdrawn into an inner fantasy world where he just knocked down the third free throw

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I blocked someone in grade school like that and it was probably the first or second best basketball play I ever made in my life.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I was wondering if Ewing was overrated in my memory a few months ago and read some people claiming as such on the net and the articles attacking him ended up making me think that he was in fact actually really good.

As for the modern game, if Dwight Howard can average 10+ in the modern league with some of the worst post moves in the world, a taller guy (and taller than the bigs that most teams regularly use these days) with decent footwork and actually a few decent moves (that probably mainly looked less great because of his contemporaries) would be okay. Patrick Ewing put a lot of time into developing a decent midrange jumper over his career that probably would've went into a three pointer instead if he was playing now. There's no reason why he wouldn't be equally defensively dominant now as he was then. He was a good post AND team defender.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Tonight's Rockets/Spurs Game:

I feel like I went back into a time warp and watched the SSoL Suns vs. the... Spurs. I think running a rotation as shallow as seven players in a playoff game is insanely dumb no matter who those seven players are. And I was like "man isn't that just like how the Suns lost in the second round to the Spurs back then" so I found the box score and D'Antoni's Suns lost game 5 of a 2-2 series in 2007 by only three points playing a 6-man rotation.

Like what's the deal? Why not bring out Dekker and Harrell at least for spot minutes? Both of those guys played over 1000 minutes for the Rockets this season and are at least hovering around replacement tier players. Even if you only use them for 5-8 minutes each, that's at least spelling some of your other players so they have the energy to not be so gassed at the end of games you have multiple long no-scoring droughts in the most important game of your season. Am I crazy in thinking this?

There was also a ton of contact in this game and I feel like the calls were slightly beneficial to the Spurs, but not to the point that I would whine about it more than D'Antoni's strategic choice.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

you make some good points

i don't think MDA will go only 7 deep next game

every time i see dekker play he plays well, but i don't know if his 3 is strong enough for what MDA wants out of the playoff rockets

either harell or dekker would allow the spurs to stay big which helps them protect the drive and lets them overplay the 3

interesting to see what happens

could probably go either way, depends on what the energy out of the 7 looks like i'd guess. even then though, only anderson, cappella, and ariza would benefit from it because harell and dekker are bigs, right?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Not playing enough players has been a d'antoni criticism forever. He just picks his guys and is completely inflexible. It looked like he'd gotten over it somewhat in the regular season, but playoff dantoni was back .Because if we know anything about basketball it's that exhausted players put you at an advantage, and that a few minutes rest isn't important at all.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
The 7 man rotation is pretty crazy, but not quiiiiiiiite as crazy as it initially might seem just because Anderson and Williams both play starter minutes (well Anderson does and Lou comes drat close). Still kinda dumb tho. Thib's has the reputation but D'Antoni loves doing the same poo poo. I still remember the crazy minutes he was giving Kobe back in his Laker run.

Any ways I'd like to thank my son Danny Green for saving the game and Manu for continuing to be an inspiration to people who like fun and good things in the world.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

a lot of coaches, pop included, drastically tighten up the rotations in the playoffs and it always drives people nuts

i dunno who's ever went down to 6 or 7 though

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Isn't he basically only doing this because of the Nene injury though

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

A 7 man rotation isn't completely unheard of in the playoffs, especially if you are out a starter. And two minutes doesn't sound like a lot to bring in some bench depth, but a bad two minute stretch can allow the other team to go on a 10 point swing

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
someone please gif Jimmy Beer Barrels trying to flail-flop after that MAnu block so I can loop that alongside the Wade eye clutch into infinity

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's fine to shorten rotations, the problem is that D'Antoni's adjustment so far has been "well let's try to hit more of our shots." Which hey, to his credit, worked last game and almost worked this game.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Punkin Spunkin posted:

someone please gif Jimmy Beer Barrels trying to flail-flop after that MAnu block so I can loop that alongside the Wade eye clutch into infinity

Here's the video with all the angles:
https://streamable.com/oph3m
looks like the ball does hit him in the face which isn't a foul it's hilarious haha

the anticipation is incredible. Manu jumps for the block before Harden goes into the shooting motion

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

EvanTH posted:

looks like the ball does hit him in the face which isn't a foul it's hilarious haha

I was wondering if that's what happened, since slo-mo exaggerates how much time elapsed between Manu's hand hitting the ball and Harden's head motion. Harden is a god-tier flopper but I don't think even he can try to fake contact that fast.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I mean, I did think a second-round loss was the absolute best case scenario for the Rockets this year going into the season and they'd get killed by GS anyway if they won this series, but still... They lost a game with Kawhi being injured/unavailable in the 4th/OT and with Jonathan Simmons and old-man Ginobili making Harden look like a bum.

I also don't understand Harrell getting zero minutes. Dekker I get, because he's been bad for months and has injury rust on top of that now, but energy and a warm body that can finish an open lay-up is something the Rockets could've used for a few minutes. Anderson at center is fine on offense, but the Spurs get pretty much any paint shot they want on the other end. If D'antoni realizes that a 7-man rotation isn't going to cut it and Kawhi is actually limited going forward, the Rockets could still definitely win the series (and the honor of being numbers 9-12 on the GS playoff unbeaten streak).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

EvanTH posted:

Here's the video with all the angles:
https://streamable.com/oph3m

the anticipation is incredible. Manu jumps for the block before Harden goes into the shooting motion

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The number of major injuries that opponents of the Warriors have had during this several year playoff run is loving incredible.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
*wheelchair lift slowly lowers me into thread*

Troy Hudson is Troy Hudson

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

The number of major injuries that opponents of the Warriors have had during this several year playoff run is loving incredible.

If only those lovely teams could rest their players in the 4th quarter because you are blowing out the other team :smug:

Truly lightyears

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/sinow/status/862020899985387520

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Shaq had an awesome rap on the Pootie Tang soundtrack.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I was just watching highlights from last night's game and I realized Houston had a timeout available during that final possession lol nice work idiots

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Best Sport

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

EvanTH posted:

Best Sport

LeBron is the little spoon :unsmith:

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Patty Mills owns imo

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

EvanTH posted:

Best Sport

this is art

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chairchucker posted:

Patty Mills owns imo

That haircut tho....

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Libertine posted:

Ewing was really dominant but I feel like he always got clowned on by Robinson, Olajuwon, and Shaq. In a lot of ways now that his career is deeper, he reminds me a lot of Dwight Howard. Both just supremely powerful, athletic dudes who were extremely dominant but lacked that extra skill and didn't play on complete enough teams to win a title against some of the all-time great squads that were top tier in his era.

If you grew up in NY in the early 90s you are sort of obligated to carry water for Ewing. When I visited my wife's childhood home in Brooklyn I found this poster taped to the closet door:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
that is a good poster

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
When the poster business was booming and business men wore gold rims and suspenders with a Hugo boss suit

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

zoux posted:

That haircut tho....

Is awesome.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yeah patty's haircut rules and also that ewing poster rules

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Dejan I clicked on some third world clickbait article about foreign born NBA players and I thought you'd enjoy this savage takedown of Reggie

quote:

Just like Boozer, Reggie was born on American soil outside of the US, being the son of an American soldier deployed in Italy. Nonetheless, it doesn’t seem like the Pistons point guard is going to have the same luck as Kerr or Boozer, as he’s not even close to the level required to represent the USA in the Olympics, being one of the major flops of the NBA this past season and showing just why the Oklahoma City Thunder didn’t want to pay a lot of money for a subpar point guard that may not even be starter material.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Looks like Old Gregg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You stats nerds: can anyone hook me up with some data? Bbref changed their site and it broke my scraper, unfixable for my skills currently. It's 6 sets per player so I dont want to do it by hand.

• Locked thread