Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Playing through Route C again and I've not been saving because it's easy and now the scripting broke at the top of the first resource unit so I can't damage that one downed machine I need to kill and there goes all my progress this evening I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
That'll teach you to not save like a maniac at every opportunity, or to rotate save files every 2-4 hours

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'd save every time I'd fast travel.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

iospace posted:

I'd save every time I'd fast travel.

There's literally no reason not to and the selection even defaults to quick save when you use the travel point.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yup, I had a couple of crashes that lead to me doing that.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

You can leave the machine at the top of the meat box alone, can't you?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Zeerust posted:

Counterpoint: 9S doesn't know 2B at the start of the game, and didn't even know the E-series existed until that sidequest in the Ruined City. Or are you saying that he was lying about not recognising her?
He wasn't lying, he just didn't remember. 2B's whole puprose is to shepherd him around and kill him/reset his memory whenever he learns too much, as invariably he will. Once 2B's not around anymore, he realizes this and despairs.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Someone tell me not to get this beautiful thing. My wallet is opening as we speak.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

KamikazePotato posted:

Someone tell me not to get this beautiful thing. My wallet is opening as we speak.

Nobody tells Grimoire Wallet what to do.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Should have made it a roomba?

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

I'm sad it doesn't play that beautiful music box version of Shadowlord.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Zeerust posted:

Counterpoint: 9S doesn't know 2B at the start of the game, and didn't even know the E-series existed until that sidequest in the Ruined City. Or are you saying that he was lying about not recognising her?

Considering Taro confirms 9S knows he has erased memories every time he reactivates after being eliminated, he immediately questions why a combat unit is accompanying him and how he deduces 2B's real purpose in The Memory Cage novella yes I believe he figures it out pretty quick.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
And despite that, 9S and 2B can't help but cherish the time they can spend together

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nina posted:

Considering Taro confirms 9S knows he has erased memories every time he reactivates after being eliminated, he immediately questions why a combat unit is accompanying him and how he deduces 2B's real purpose in The Memory Cage novella yes I believe he figures it out pretty quick.

Honestly, I think YoRHa realized that the time between 9S "respawning" and 2B killing him was approaching its limit. A scanner android, figuring it all out, then the attack happens. I think that would actually be the motive to activate the backdoor, not the androids gaining the upper hand. Getting the upper hand is a convenient excuse, but it doesn't make sense at all because why wouldn't you want to end the war once and for all.

I dunno.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

iospace posted:

Honestly, I think YoRHa realized that the time between 9S "respawning" and 2B killing him was approaching its limit. A scanner android, figuring it all out, then the attack happens. I think that would actually be the motive to activate the backdoor, not the androids gaining the upper hand. Getting the upper hand is a convenient excuse, but it doesn't make sense at all because why wouldn't you want to end the war once and for all.

I dunno.

Neither side actually wanted to end the war. The machines needed an enemy to fight. The androids needed something to fight for. Otherwise their existence was meaningless, or so most of them thought anyway.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Begemot posted:

Neither side actually wanted to end the war. The machines needed an enemy to fight. The androids needed something to fight for. Otherwise their existence was meaningless, or so most of them thought anyway.

point, then my theory is revised to be both, sort of. If one person, especially a scanner, not a combat unit, was able to blow the cover on it all, then obviously what you said would be challenged, and thus activate the backdoor to end the ruse from being broken. Both sides are "none the wiser", and the potential leak is plugged.

Maybe I'm overthinking this and I'm too tired.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Uh, quick question from someone very new at this game. It seems like dying can reset your level progress, but not your quests? I did the stamp collection at the Amusement Park and went from 13 to 14, and then I tried the parade guard dealy and got massacred. I hadn't saved in a bit, and I noticed I got knocked back to 13, but then I went into my cleared quests and sure enough, stamp collecting still showed as cleared.

Could you potentially get hosed over this way? Gain levels via quest, then lose levels and not be able to do the quest again?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

DrNutt posted:

Uh, quick question from someone very new at this game. It seems like dying can reset your level progress, but not your quests? I did the stamp collection at the Amusement Park and went from 13 to 14, and then I tried the parade guard dealy and got massacred. I hadn't saved in a bit, and I noticed I got knocked back to 13, but then I went into my cleared quests and sure enough, stamp collecting still showed as cleared.

Could you potentially get hosed over this way? Gain levels via quest, then lose levels and not be able to do the quest again?

You get your xp back when you recover your body.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just beat the game for the first time. No idea what route that is but it is whatever comes from beating Eve when he freaks out with his brother being dead. I have to say I have no idea what to feel after reaching my first proper ending in a Nier game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Begemot posted:

You get your xp back when you recover your body.

Oh cool, thanks. :darksouls:

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Hunt11 posted:

Just beat the game for the first time. No idea what route that is but it is whatever comes from beating Eve when he freaks out with his brother being dead. I have to say I have no idea what to feel after reaching my first proper ending in a Nier game.

You've got a long journey ahead of you, friend

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

dyzzy posted:

You've got a long journey ahead of you, friend

I know. Only a single question in the game was really answered so far.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

Yeah you just finished Route A. Route B is from a different perspective but covers mostly the same ground but with added backstory. C is where STRAP IN poo poo IS HAPPENING.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Ardryn posted:

There's literally no reason not to and the selection even defaults to quick save when you use the travel point.
Quick saving wouldn't have helped in my situation because you can't load a quick save, only load back there when you die, which I couldn't do. I also hadn't fast travelled or used a terminal because there's not really any need to for the first chunk of route C.

And if you can leave the machine alone at the top of the meat box something else was also hosed because I couldn't leave the room either.

Don't act like its my fault the game bugged out on me, dudes! I'm the victim here!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Akuma posted:

Quick saving wouldn't have helped in my situation because you can't load a quick save, only load back there when you die, which I couldn't do.
I'm pretty sure it's just a normal save, in the last slot you used.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's 100% how the quick save option works.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

No poo poo? Huh. I don't know why I thought otherwise. Thanks!

In any case it turned out I did save on the bunker before I self destructed so I didn't lose too much anyway.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

DrNutt posted:

Oh cool, thanks. :darksouls:
Not really, since this game never* autosaves your failures and you can always manually reload (provided you quicksave regularly). The corpse pick-up mechanic is basically just a shortcut to "skip" one quickload.

*except if you lose your corpse in the A/B final fight arenas and finish it without pick it up i guess

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the mod creator deleted his sticky in the nier forum, so if you want updates you need to go here

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SpecialK_Mods

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Glory, to mankind!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Not really, since this game never* autosaves your failures and you can always manually reload (provided you quicksave regularly). The corpse pick-up mechanic is basically just a shortcut to "skip" one quickload.

*except if you lose your corpse in the A/B final fight arenas and finish it without pick it up i guess

nope, I did that at the end of route b since i was coasting , half an hour later realized I'd lost all my chips , then found it in the boss battle area anyways in route c. no idea about route a to b though.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
Been playing through Route C and holy poo poo it seems way harder than the other ones, I've actually died a few times. The part where 2B has the virus and you walk to the Forest to die was so infuriating trying to walk at the slowest speed ever past a million enemies and taking 10s to stand up when hit. I got to almost the top of the Resource module and got hilariously 1-shot by one of the giant robots with spinning hands (he grabbed me and smashed me into the ground, something I'd never seen). I quit after that for now since I hadn't saved since starting the 9S section again. OOPS. Probably need to go get my body because I'm a dumbass and traveled back to the Forest zone and then quicksaved huh.

Route C is crazy so far, I do have 1 question about levels though. Are enemies dynamically scaling somewhat to my level, and how much does my level even really matter? I think I'm around level 45 or so but I can't tell if it is increasing anything really or if I do more damage etc? Is there ever a point where I can be "underleveled" so far it doesn't seem like it which is good.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Somewhat is a good description of the dynamic scaling. Side quests have hardcoded levels for their encounters and places will have enemy levels set to story progression. What does scale are the animals and the enemies found during flight sections. Your level being lower definitely feels like you're plinking away at enemies if you're fighting them directly (Robot Dojo sidequest pre-ending A is a good example of this) and then represent a non-challenge when you're overlevelled. The game does a pretty good job of keeping you up with the encounters, however.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Scorps posted:

Been playing through Route C and holy poo poo it seems way harder than the other ones, I've actually died a few times. The part where 2B has the virus and you walk to the Forest to die was so infuriating trying to walk at the slowest speed ever past a million enemies and taking 10s to stand up when hit. I got to almost the top of the Resource module and got hilariously 1-shot by one of the giant robots with spinning hands (he grabbed me and smashed me into the ground, something I'd never seen). I quit after that for now since I hadn't saved since starting the 9S section again. OOPS. Probably need to go get my body because I'm a dumbass and traveled back to the Forest zone and then quicksaved huh.

Route C is crazy so far, I do have 1 question about levels though. Are enemies dynamically scaling somewhat to my level, and how much does my level even really matter? I think I'm around level 45 or so but I can't tell if it is increasing anything really or if I do more damage etc? Is there ever a point where I can be "underleveled" so far it doesn't seem like it which is good.
Enemy level spoiler: Enemies seem to be at level 45 throughout all of route C for some reason so it gets a lot easier by the end.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Scorps posted:

well, the good news is that you don't have to worry about going to get your body, but...

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

edit: oh, nm

Sax Solo fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 10, 2017

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
Well I have to go get it because I still have to complete the Meat Locker resource recycler right? I died almost at the top so I got sent back to a save from right when you check on 9s with the pod and travel back, then hit quick save after traveling without thinking.

Also I didn't Go back to A2 after the first time with the pod when I could choose her again hopefully I still will have the option to do that? I did the desert part with her then decided to see what 9S was up to

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The Black Boxes are based on machine cores, which is kind of odd, because those things don't have any kind of consciousness, only a high output power source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Scorps posted:

Well I have to go get it because I still have to complete the Meat Locker resource recycler right? I died almost at the top so I got sent back to a save from right when you check on 9s with the pod and travel back, then hit quick save after traveling without thinking.
Nope, the Bunker was destroyed and there are no more backup bodies. Manual (quick) saves are the only way to go now. The upside is that you don't have to worry about losing your chips!