Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.
NDP now losing Vancouver - False Creek by 400 votes. NDP was ahead for a while. Can't seem to be able to get rid of Sullivan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
They won't count absentee/early votes until much later. i don't think we'll get a winner tonight.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Aug 26, 2018

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Stay awake until the 22nd, sleep deprivation psychosis is probably the best way to understand BC politics anyway.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

They won't count absentee/early votes until much later. i don't think we'll get a winner tonight.
I thought those were counted first?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

SoggyBobcat posted:

I thought those were counted first?

Advanced votes are counted first, absentee is counted if it's possible they effect the outcome.

Mr.Shadow
Feb 17, 2011
My riding of Coquitlam-Burke Mountain went to the Liberals....

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Aug 26, 2018

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CBC just projected a minority government. CTV did it earlier.

Almost all the too close to call ridings are going Liberal with NDP/Greens getting more votes combined. :(

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Frankly, now I wait for the real hilarity in the recounts.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

CBC just projected a minority government. CTV did it earlier.

Almost all the too close to call ridings are going Liberal with NDP/Greens getting more votes combined. :(

If I was a political consultant, I would tell any client who came to me asking how to get elected as a small-l liberal to run as a right wing candidate and then cross the floor the second you're seated because you'll just get ratfucked by vote splitting otherwise.

EDIT: Also be prepared to work your rear end off to get as much poo poo as you can done in a single term as you can because that poo poo'll make you a one-and-done MLA/MP unless you're REALLY lucky.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 10, 2017

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.
As a supporter of both Site C & Kinder Morgan I'm a bit perplexed by this result - we'll see what sort of deal making ends up happening.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
If you would have taken even half of the Green votes in each riding and applied to the NDP, we would have had an NDP majority called soon after the polls closed.

First Past The Post is a bad system, and the Greens are giving Christy Clark another mandate.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
If they're serious about their priorities being proportional representation and donations, I can see the Liberals conceding on the latter but not the former, whereas the NDP is supposedly planning to do both.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
BC elections website is being weird, when I go to their website it's forwarding me to their hosting Ip address. http://142.34.128.33/index.php//2017-general-election/candidates/

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
4 more years of flipping off the photos of Christie Clark in her hard hat whenever I go through that building at work.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Greens promised proportional representation, NDP promised a PR referendum with full government campaigning for 'Yes'.

Let's do this, motherfuckers. Like, first thing out of the gate before the government falls to petty bickering.

In a non-ridiculous world, the importance of this one issue to the future of both parties would be able to hold a Green-NDP coalition together until it's in the bag. Not grabbing this chance would be hilariouly incompetent.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Terebus posted:

BC elections website is being weird, when I go to their website it's forwarding me to their hosting Ip address. http://142.34.128.33/index.php//2017-general-election/candidates/

Sorry, the Russian hackers are being slow about putting in the fix for the vote. Just one moment.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Wilhelm posted:

As a gigantic rear end in a top hat I'm a bit perplexed by this result - we'll see what sort of deal making ends up happening.

fixed that for you

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
NDP partisans itt:

"The Greens are just progressive conservatives - Liberals who care about the environment. But also they are vote splitting us! Obviously if the Green Party didn't exist, these Liberals would obviously vote for the NDP, not the Liberals. We are entitled to their votes and they are loving us."

*votes for party of climate change denial with no serious plans to kill or even discourage fossil fuel use*
*tries to paint people who refuse to do so as anti-science fringe wackos, WiFi etc.*

Well, I'm pretty hopeful. This has the potential to be the best drat result possible if Weaver can make the NDP do PR with no referendum and prevent the anti environment poo poo like eliminating road tolls.

Or maybe Weaver will be a giant rear end in a top hat and support the Liberals. Who knows! I'm hoping all his anti-NDP campaigning was just for show, but maybe he really is that big of a jackass.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

NDP partisans itt:

"The Greens are just progressive conservatives - Liberals who care about the environment. But also they are vote splitting us! Obviously if the Green Party didn't exist, these Liberals would obviously vote for the NDP, not the Liberals. We are entitled to their votes and they are loving us."

*votes for party of climate change denial with no serious plans to kill or even discourage fossil fuel use*
*tries to paint people who refuse to do so as anti-science fringe wackos, WiFi etc.*

Well, I'm pretty hopeful. This has the potential to be the best drat result possible if Weaver can make the NDP do PR with no referendum and prevent the anti environment poo poo like eliminating road tolls.

Or maybe Weaver will be a giant rear end in a top hat and support the Liberals. Who knows! I'm hoping all his anti-NDP campaigning was just for show, but maybe he really is that big of a jackass.

I went to their website and they proudly proclaim that they're the only party that bans donations from unions.

Anyone who considers themselves left wing and voted for them should be shot in the head and dumped in a ditch.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

NDP partisans itt:

I'm glad the Green Party exists to split the right-wing vote and prevent another Christy Clark majority

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
ILH the greens are simultaneously just conservatives but also stealing lefty votes whenever people itt need a convenient excuse for their party being absolute garbage and losing elections.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

ZShakespeare posted:

ILH the greens are simultaneously just conservatives but also stealing lefty votes whenever people itt need a convenient excuse for their party being absolute garbage and losing elections.

That describes a LOT of NDP supporters in this thread. No doxxing pls.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
lmao if any by-elections happen in the next term with the Liberals only needing 1 seat to reclaim a majority.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Rust Martialis posted:

That describes a LOT of NDP supporters in this thread. No doxxing pls.

We're all NDP supporters it's just that sometimes the NDP isn't NDP enough and we need to vote against them to punish them because we love them.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

ZShakespeare posted:

I think the parties in BC are a horrible clusterfuck of weird proud property owner or soon to be property owner politics that are separated by varying levels of racism. There are no good politicians in bc and the only real choice is to laugh at how uniquely retarded each of them are.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I heard the Liberals didn't hand out enough cash to win handedly. Did something go wrong with the outreach volunteers and the middle class plan :confused:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
gently caress the greens and everyone who voted for them. :fuckoff:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Jagmeet Singh is going in for Federal NDP leadership, still voting Niki, gently caress you guys.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/canada/2017/05/10/deputy-ontario-ndp-leader-jagmeet-singh-to-run-for-federal-leadership.html?platform=hootsuite

quote:

OTTAWA — Ontario deputy NDP leader Jagmeet Singh is poised to launch a bid for federal leadership next week, The Canadian Press has learned.

Sources familiar with Singh's plans say he will make the announcement at the Bombay Palace in Brampton, Ont., on Monday night — the venue where he held an election party in 2011 when he entered provincial politics.

They also say his campaign will be led by Michal Hay, executive assistant to Toronto city councillor Michael Layton — the son of late federal NDP leader Jack Layton.

Supporters note Singh is also backed by other New Democrats, including Manitoba legislature member Nahanni Fontaine, party youth wing co-chair Ali Chatur, Quebec organizer and former Layton speech writer Willy Blomme and Peel school board trustee Harkirat Singh.

Singh, a 38-year-old criminal defence lawyer and turbaned Sikh, was named deputy to Ontario NDP Leader Andrea Horwath in spring 2015.

At the time of the announcement, Horwath said Singh had been a "dynamic force" in politics, adding he increased political participation among young people who viewed him as a community leader and mentor.

Inside the provincial wing of the NDP, Horwath also acknowledged Singh's work to push for provincial reductions of auto insurance rates and improving awareness around precarious employment fuelled by temporary job agencies.

Singh, regarded as a young and energetic leader, has also received nods from Toronto Life magazine on its lists of "50 Most Influential" and "Toronto's Best Dressed."

There are four official candidates in the lengthy race to replace Tom Mulcair as NDP leader in October.

Current contenders include B.C. MP Peter Julian, Ontario MP Charlie Angus, Manitoba MP Niki Ashton and Quebec MP Guy Caron.

First-quarter results from Elections Canada indicate Angus is far ahead of his competition on the fundraising front.

The report, which notes contributions from January to March 2017, showed Angus brought in more than $110,675, Ashton had $65,521, Caron had $57,235 and Julian raised $19,143.08.

The NDP says former veterans ombudsman Pat Stogran and Ibrahim Bruno El-Khoury, the founder of a Montreal consulting firm, are not considered official candidates because they must submit nomination paperwork and a registration fee.

Stogran and El-Khoury's names appear on the Elections Canada website as candidates while Singh's does not.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Just a FYI, hes one sharp dressed mf.

But the real question is how mean is his Bhangra?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fefGl5CMn3I

Oh ok, he's great :getin:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

That reminds me I need to buy some naan bread

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

quote:

Inside the provincial wing of the NDP, Horwath also acknowledged Singh's work to push for provincial reductions of auto insurance rates and improving awareness around precarious employment fuelled by temporary job agencies. 

:wow: definitely gonna be a barnstormer of a platform

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Risky Bisquick posted:

Bhangra is the catchiest music

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Is it wrong that I like most of the federal NDP leadership candidates? Seems like some pretty good picks in there.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I'm just excited for all the racist memes we're sure to get.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Risky Bisquick posted:

Just a FYI, hes one sharp dressed mf.

I wouldn't be upset if he won, but I would say that about any of the NDP candidates so far

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Greens came second in my riding (WV-S2S).

I voted green, they were obviously the better "ABC" vote in this riding (the NDP candidate was a nursing student who didn't bother showing up to the debate here because she had an exam the next day). If the people who actually paid attention to the riding instead of just voting NDP as the anti-Clark vote had voted green, we'd have been the 4th green party seat.

The Liberal vote here went from 53% to 42%.

But yeah, the left-wing vote splitting in BC is super lovely and we're going to have Liberal governments forever thanks to it.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 10, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

flakeloaf posted:

That reminds me I need to buy some naan bread

I appreciate this reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
My fave (Hassan Yussuf) is annoyingly still not running even though everyone expected him to throw his hat in the ring like last year already and his positions would definitely be good to drag the party back to the left where it belongs.