Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

skull mask mcgee posted:

How significant is the difference between the ATH-m40x and the m50x? Thinking of getting a nicer pair of cans to leave at home and have the 40s just live at work.

The m40x are better in every possible way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

KingShiro posted:

I'm not sure about 3D audio (I only used the standard, no effects added sound profile), I used it for my Phillips SHP9500 + V-Moda Boompro setup, and had no audio issues outside of the astro volume knob being a little finicky.
I didn't really think there would be problems, I just wondered if it would be an upgrade to consider from my G5.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Samurai Sanders posted:

About the Astro itself, I asked in the PS4 thread if those were still a thing people used and no one responded. How does the 3D sound on them sound? That's the only reason I'd consider replacing my Soundblaster with one I think, since I don't care about voice communication.

But also I might replace it with a smaller, non-game related USB amp, if I could find a comprehensive list of what works.

The newer Astro Mixamp TR still uses Dolby Headphone, but they have some weird-rear end default EQ settings that make the processed sound even more pronounced. You'd have to plug it in to a PC and make changes to the EQ there. Also take note that for PS4, it can only output the Dolby signals through optical and HDMI but not USB, so it's cables galore. Basically, for the Mixamp, USB is for mic input and output, Optical is for audio out. (Sony does have non-DolbyHeadphone 3D audio tech available in some of their official wireless headsets)

For the price tag, I wouldn't bother with it, considering a $20 Turtle Beach DSS1 amp does the exact same thing, it just doesn't have a mic in.

As for the advantages over your Creative G5. I believe the G5 when plugged into a PS4 is a stereo device only. Any additional processing you hear is based on 2 channels only. It's really only a 5.1/7.1 device when plugged into a PC. So the upgrade would be real virtual surround sound (sounds really stupid, I know) as opposed to what you have now. This is just for PS4 btw, obviously you're good when on PC.

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 29, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Constellation I posted:

The newer Astro Mixamp TR still uses Dolby Headphone, but they have some weird-rear end default EQ settings that make the processed sound even more pronounced. You'd have to plug it in to a PC and make changes to the EQ there. Also take note that for PS4, it can only output the Dolby signals through optical and HDMI but not USB, so it's cables galore. Basically, for the Mixamp, USB is for mic input and output, Optical is for audio out. (Sony does have non-DolbyHeadphone 3D audio tech available in some of their official wireless headsets)

For the price tag, I wouldn't bother with it, considering a $20 Turtle Beach DSS1 amp does the exact same thing, it just doesn't have a mic in.

As for the advantages over your Creative G5. I believe the G5 when plugged into a PS4 is a stereo device only. Any additional processing you hear is based on 2 channels only. It's really only a 5.1/7.1 device when plugged into a PC. So the upgrade would be real virtual surround sound (sounds really stupid, I know) as opposed to what you have now. This is just for PS4 btw, obviously you're good when on PC.
Yeah, I read that if I get an Astro I should mess with it on the PC first.

I can't find that DSS1 for sale in Japan right away, but how could a $20 DAC be worth anything at all, surround sound or not?

Yeah, the G5 is just a normal DAC when connected to the PS4, except for all its effect/eq stuff which I never use. Who does?

edit: more in general, I have heard that the Astro is a good DAC amp for its price even without the surround sound, and that it is not, both without any support or evidence particularly.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 29, 2017

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I read that if I get an Astro I should mess with it on the PC first.

I can't find that DSS1 for sale in Japan right away, but how could a $20 DAC be worth anything at all, surround sound or not?

Yeah, the G5 is just a normal DAC when connected to the PS4, except for all its effect/eq stuff which I never use. Who does?

edit: more in general, I have heard that the Astro is a good DAC amp for its price even without the surround sound, and that it is not, both without any support or evidence particularly.

Sorry, $20 is not the entire truth. The DSS1 was made for the 360 way back in the day and was subsequently discontinued and replaced by a worse DSS2 (also for the 360). That's the reason why you can find it for around $20 nowadays, but brand-new stock might not be as available anymore.

The thing with the Astro Mixamp is that it's usually bundled with a pair of their headsets, which are god awful. For its price standalone, I wouldn't get it if you're just looking for a DAC+amp for consoles. If you don't take into account that it does surround via optical, then there's better options out there. If you're looking at virtual surround though, then an Astro Mixamp is probably the most convenient choice. Unfortunately there isn't much on the market for consoles for this type of device. They're all either discontinued (Madcatz/Tritton, Turtle Beach) or everyone else has moved on to a similar device but for a wireless base for wireless headsets instead.

Other companies like Creative and Sennheiser also mostly focus on PC and not on consoles. I'd imagine if Creative actually re-designed the G5 and let it take Dolby Digital signals via optical in and re-process that via Dolby Headphone and market it to gamers, they'd sell pretty well.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
M1060's arrived today. They feel great but haven't listened to them yet. The pads are SOOO soft and plush. Was expecting a hard pleather.

Ohh man these sound great, the bass is sooooo smooth.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 2, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Don Lapre posted:

M1060's arrived today. They feel great but haven't listened to them yet. The pads are SOOO soft and plush. Was expecting a hard pleather.

They're pretty fun. Just treat them delicately as that mahogany ring is really thin due to the massive drivers.

Really wish designers would stop using wood for areas put under physical stress just because it looks nice, I'd happily take plastic or aluminium instead.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

I swapped the default pads on my HE400i for some Brainwavz Memory Foam replacements a few days ago and I've been surprised by how big of a difference it made in comfort and sound quality.

In retrospect I'm a little annoyed that they sold these expensive headphones with such lousy, uncomfortable earpads. If you have a pair I would recommend replacing them. The process is a bit annoying (you may have to stretch the replacements for a few minutes before they fit over the plastic ring) but it's worth it.

sink
Sep 10, 2005

gerby gerb gerb in my mouf

secret volcano lair posted:

I swapped the default pads on my HE400i for some Brainwavz Memory Foam replacements a few days ago and I've been surprised by how big of a difference it made in comfort and sound quality.

In retrospect I'm a little annoyed that they sold these expensive headphones with such lousy, uncomfortable earpads. If you have a pair I would recommend replacing them. The process is a bit annoying (you may have to stretch the replacements for a few minutes before they fit over the plastic ring) but it's worth it.

Gonna do exactly this. They really aren't very comfortable headphones.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Don Lapre posted:

Keepers?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

D1E posted:

Keepers?

Ohh yea, sent my k712's back. I love these things.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
All right let's try this out.

Budget - $100 or slightly more, but preferably less
Source - PC and iPhone
Isolation Requirements - Not really required but I wouldn't turn it down
Preferred Type of Headphone - in-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - don't care
Past Headphones - I've been using various pairs of Bose earbuds for several years and liked them a lot.
Other requirements - The less sound that escapes the headphones for everyone around to hear, the better. For various reasons I listen to things on high volume and I hate hate hate being "that guy" forcing everyone to listen to what's coming out of my headphones. My Bose earbuds have been fantastic in this regard, but I'm sure there are other brands that can do the same.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Budget - 60 and under
Source - Computer
Isolation Requirements - Some
Preferred Type of Headphone - over ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced
Past Headphones - audio technica ath a700

I need a long cable on them too. Just upgraded my rig and my sweet headphones die so I need a budget replacement. I also have a fat head.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Budget - 200 (fine with refurb too)
Source - Computer, iPhone 7
Isolation Requirements - Closed
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced, maybe slightly bass-heavy
Past Headphones - Sennheiser HD598, Audio Technica ATH-WS55

I adore my HD598s for home use, but I travel somewhat regularly for work. NC isn't hugely important - I'd take better sound quality over cancellation.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Why not some 598c

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Cs-Headphone/dp/B01JP436TS

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

I bought a pair for the wife and we love em.
I haven't had a chance to wear them for long periods but I did note that they feel significantly tighter.
They sound great though, and they come with a short cable and built in media controls + mic

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I briefly considered the 598C, but I'd like to try something with a different sound. I might buy them if I can't find any other good options, though

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Anybody have an opinion on the Sennheiser HD 471 headphones?

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B015Y4K6PK

I got them extremely discounted ($45 Canadian) but haven't gotten to try them yet, and am curious what other people might think

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

curried lamb of God posted:

I briefly considered the 598C, but I'd like to try something with a different sound. I might buy them if I can't find any other good options, though

Monoprice has the m560 planar which are $200 and can be open or closed.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Anybody have an opinion on the Sennheiser HD 471 headphones?

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B015Y4K6PK

I got them extremely discounted ($45 Canadian) but haven't gotten to try them yet, and am curious what other people might think

Not a clue sorry. Nobody seems to have published measurements yet. (at least none of the places I visit) Once had a pair of... 415s I think? They were good but I gave them to a family member years ago.
Assuming they're just "better" than the HD451s there is a frequency response chart of those on innerfidelity which suggests a strong bass response across the board.

So... unrelated. I made an extravagant audio purchase recently because I accomplished a long term goal and wanted to reward myself. Bought a Final Audio Sonorous III - it's basically the budget version of their flagship headphone (the X), only it costs less than a tenth of the price of that solid titanium & gold monster only an Oil Sheikh would probably own.

I think I'm done with looking at new headphones ever again. :staredog: This does everything. It has a wide sound stage, excellent mid range, thumping sub bass and slightly rolled off treble so the highs don't fatigue. Crispy clear all the way.

Now the stock pads are circular and shallow with only ~53mm for your ears in all directions which wasn't ideal for me, so (with a bit of struggling) I stretched on my Brainwavz HM5 angled lambskin pads and now I can't even feel them on my head. Just the sub bass and the nice firm clamp cushioned by thick memory foam.
If you had smaller ears then you could probably just stick to the otherwise excellent stock pads. The headband is also incredibly wide and plush by default so no worries there.

Fuuuck why aren't these more popular aside from the price? I'm assuming that "Japan" and not being in the usual supply chains. I bought mine over the internet from the sole Australian distributor.

I guess they might look weird to people too with that cup design. http://final-audio-design.com/en/archives/2712

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 09:12 on May 10, 2017

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Edit : Let's try this again.

Budget - $200-$300
Source - PC/DAC/Phone
Isolation Requirements - Enough to use on the bus.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM. I'd consider a pair of closed cans if they really isolated well.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Not sure but I've used and loved the Sennheiser IE8 and Westone 4, ATH-A900
Past Headphones - I've used and loved the Sennheiser IE8 and Westone 4, ATH-A900
Preferred Music - Techno, Classical, Indie, Jazz, Folk, Choral, Musicals - anything really. I need bass though.

I just lost my Westone 4s and I'm super sad that I can't just buy them again for about 300bux like I did last time.

I've been thinking about the Sony Mdr-ex800st, Sennheiser IE80s now they're cheaper, or maybe some crazy Chinese thing.

Has anyone had any experience with these?

TONEKING MusicMaker SHOCKWAVE III 5 driver IEM

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...c9-be77ec120f5f

Head-Fi seems to like them but I'm still wary of spending loads on Aliexpress.

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 10, 2017

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I've had a chance to demo the Shockwave IIIs, they are fantastic headphones and if you liked the IE8s you'll probably like them. Of course, if you get a dud or you can't get a good fit it's going to be a massive PITA to get them replaced. You could also try and find a used set of Westone 4s off of Head-Fi.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Welp, I found a really good price on Amazon Warehouse Deals for a set of PSB M4U 2. Can't wait to get them!

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

grack posted:

I've had a chance to demo the Shockwave IIIs, they are fantastic headphones and if you liked the IE8s you'll probably like them. Of course, if you get a dud or you can't get a good fit it's going to be a massive PITA to get them replaced. You could also try and find a used set of Westone 4s off of Head-Fi.

If i can buy the ie8s for the same price, should i just do that? Are they actually better?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Spermanent Record posted:

If i can buy the ie8s for the same price, should i just do that? Are they actually better?

The Shockwaves are better.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

Monoprice has the m560 planar which are $200 and can be open or closed.

I've been curious about these, after hearing about how great the M1060s are. Are these 2/3 as good? Significantly better than Senn 598SEs? I'd use them open 95% of the time.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007

grack posted:

The Shockwaves are better.

Thanks! I guess I'll try them!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

sirbeefalot posted:

I've been curious about these, after hearing about how great the M1060s are. Are these 2/3 as good? Significantly better than Senn 598SEs? I'd use them open 95% of the time.

Definitely very, very different than the 598se. If you don't own a planar, you should buy them. Except you shouldn't, because you should just save another hundred bucks for the 1060.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Except you shouldn't, because you should just save another hundred bucks for the 1060.

This is basically what I was worried about.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

sirbeefalot posted:

I currently own a HD599 (bought on a flash sale at the start of the year, I'm going to give it to a family member who will actually use and enjoy it when opportunity permits) and a M1060 so I can give you a direct comparison since I've A/B'd them.

I won't bother describing them aurally in detail but the M1060 basically obliterates the 599 in every way possible except weight. And I guess reliability/durability.
It's a complete non contest.

The 599 is nice enough in isolation but horrifically overpriced at full price. Even if the massive discount I got mine for was actually standard retail it would still not be worth the money.
An MSR7 obliterates it too so I assume the M40x (never heard one) would be better value still on that pole, even if you bought aftermarket ZMF pads at additional cost.

I would describe the 599 as a good solid evolution of an obsolete branch of headphones because it needs an amp to sound good despite the low impedance. The M1060 can drive well on nearly anything.
(seriously I think pretty much nobody is buying the HD599 because that market segment has better offerings - you don't offer flash sales that big so soon after release unless the product just isn't moving)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I'm in the market for some new high impedance headphones. Currently, I am rocking BrainWavz HM9's at work, and I love them, but I feel like I could do better, especially at home and the gym.

I have an LG V20 which can drive high impedance, and I am not against having to get an amp for my PC either at home.

My budget is around 300 (give or take 50$) for some good high impedance headphones. Any recommendations would be welcome!

As a side note, I am drooling over the HD800S, even though it would be really irresponsible to buy them. :v:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ratbert90 posted:

I'm in the market for some new high impedance headphones. Currently, I am rocking BrainWavz HM9's at work, and I love them, but I feel like I could do better, especially at home and the gym.

I have an LG V20 which can drive high impedance, and I am not against having to get an amp for my PC either at home.

My budget is around 300 (give or take 50$) for some good high impedance headphones. Any recommendations would be welcome!

As a side note, I am drooling over the HD800S, even though it would be really irresponsible to buy them. :v:

If you want something for gym work then I'd suggest IEMs unless you want to replace your ear pads frequently because your ears will be dripping with sweat.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The M560 and M1060 both super interest me, I'm very curious how they'll stack up against the ATH M40X and AKG 7XX cans that I have for my two use cases* (travel and desktop use, respectively).

For some questions on the M560 (that I may take to the Monoprice page as well):

Do phones drive them well? Google Pixel and Nintendo Switch would be the main forces. I'm curious if they're like the 7XX where they're relatively low impedance but still pretty much need an amp to sound good. I would really like them so I have one pair of headphones that I could just convert from closed back to open back instead of taking both ATH M40X and HD 518 on all my extended trips.

In closed back mode, how's sound leakage? I do like the M40X because I'm not likely to piss off the person next to me on the plane.

Is the case sturdy enough, or should I buy an aftermarket one?

The M1060 is a done deal in my book, will compare to AKG 7XX when I get them.

Thank you thread.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

NewFatMike posted:

The M560 and M1060 both super interest me, I'm very curious how they'll stack up against the ATH M40X and AKG 7XX cans that I have for my two use cases* (travel and desktop use, respectively).

For some questions on the M560 (that I may take to the Monoprice page as well):

Do phones drive them well? Google Pixel and Nintendo Switch would be the main forces. I'm curious if they're like the 7XX where they're relatively low impedance but still pretty much need an amp to sound good. I would really like them so I have one pair of headphones that I could just convert from closed back to open back instead of taking both ATH M40X and HD 518 on all my extended trips.

In closed back mode, how's sound leakage? I do like the M40X because I'm not likely to piss off the person next to me on the plane.

Is the case sturdy enough, or should I buy an aftermarket one?

The M1060 is a done deal in my book, will compare to AKG 7XX when I get them.

Thank you thread.

I *think* someone who owned the AKG 7XX bought the Monoprice M1060s previously in this thread, and later announced he was returning the AKGs.

Don't hold me to that because I'm old and my memory is going and I have never owned any AKG cans so I don't know the model numbers.

I can say that I own a pair of M1060 rev. 1 headphones and they're end-game for me. I have completely stopped looking for open circumaural "upgrades".

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Do we talk about completely wireless, AirPod style headphones in here, or is there a separate dedicated thread that I'm missing?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I had the AKG k712's and some m1060's at the same time. the AKG's went back. The m1060s just sound so much fuller, the bass is richer and "creamier" lol. I really really love them. They weight more than the akg's but they carry it well and are perfectly comfortable for me.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The biggest thing I want to check out between them is soundstage in video games. I got noticeably better in my shoot mans because I could better tell where folks were coming from with the AKG 7XX, and I'm not against having one pair of cans for games and another for music.

Hopefully the M560 travels​ well, the one YouTube review I could find on them seem pretty solid for it and hopefully the stock case is sufficiently sturdy for road warrior activity.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

NewFatMike posted:

The biggest thing I want to check out between them is soundstage in video games. I got noticeably better in my shoot mans because I could better tell where folks were coming from with the AKG 7XX, and I'm not against having one pair of cans for games and another for music.

Hopefully the M560 travels​ well, the one YouTube review I could find on them seem pretty solid for it and hopefully the stock case is sufficiently sturdy for road warrior activity.

here is the case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZFIw3XjfdU&t=175s

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Wears headphones over a hat covering his ears and begins to immediately talk about break in and burn in (using both terms to refer to the same thing).

Triggered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Thank you! I missed the 15 seconds it was onscreen the first time around. Seems pretty sturdy, similar materials to my Slappa for the M40X.

E: pulled the trigger on the M560, will get the M1060 when I have more money. Will update the thread.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 11, 2017