Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Two things from this episode:
1) Philip really thinks of Stan as his bro :unsmith:
2) Pastor Tim is hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
That was one of the best episodes so far this season.

I'm a bit confused as to how they intend to use Evgenia though. Are they just going to send her back to Moscow to date the CIA guy? How the heck would that not be conspicuous as hell for him?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why all the cloak & dagger with the photo developing tools?

The contents of the film are sensitive, but it’s not illegal to have a home darkroom.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Platystemon posted:

Why all the cloak & dagger with the photo developing tools?

The contents of the film are sensitive, but it’s not illegal to have a home darkroom.

Maybe it's a holdover from when the kids were little and they didn't want them getting into the toxic chemicals?

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

They are both getting disillusioned. They gave each other the 'you gotta be kidding me look' when Claudia told them they had to keep doing the wheat thing.

The marriage by Gabriel's priest is an act of defiance. The Centre feels like they are becoming more loyal to each other (and their family) than to the State. So they gave them tasking to keep them apart, introduce some relationship issues, and generally remind them who is boss. Claudia didn't even give them a hint as to why they needed to keep it up - the wheat was good, so what else is to be gained there?

The risk to them both is that if their marriage is discovered, they will be forcibly split up - particularly since it was a religious ceremony - which could be interpreted as a counterrevolutionary (treasonous) act.

And give the foreshadowing of one religious authority keeping written notes on his flock, I wouldn't count on a KGB asset being able to keep it a secret.

Also-

P&E are totally doing the "Fluffy is getting old and cranky. You see he almost bit the baby the other day. If you want we will look for a farm in the country where he can retire and be happy, and play all day. But only if you want us to" treatment.

:rip: Pastor Tim

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I think P&E were genuinely trying to get Pastor Tim a job somewhere. They specifically asked Claudia about the possibility of that in the episode. I don't think that is going to change either at this point for pragmatic reasons (messier and it might break Paige's trust), but getting the pastor's honest opinion that he thought they were abusing Paige in the worst of ways definitely shook them.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Slashrat posted:

I think P&E were genuinely trying to get Pastor Tim a job somewhere. They specifically asked Claudia about the possibility of that in the episode. I don't think that is going to change either at this point for pragmatic reasons (messier and it might break Paige's trust), but getting the pastor's honest opinion that he thought they were abusing Paige in the worst of ways definitely shook them.
Yeah that's where I'm at. Tim is literally going to be sent to South America so the Jennings family can avoid thinking about the heavy, brutal observations he's making in his journal. Fwiw I think he's being hyperbolic

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah that's where I'm at. Tim is literally going to be sent to South America so the Jennings family can avoid thinking about the heavy, brutal observations he's making in his journal. Fwiw I think he's being hyperbolic

The hyperbole is what could be his downfall. It's one thing for your daughter's pastor to feel like she is sad. It's something else entirely to have them compare your parenting to sexual abuse cases, and declare that your parenting is worse.

I could definitely see P&E giving the Centre enough ammo to have Pastor Tim have an unfortunate burro accident in Nicaragua while traveling to his new job.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Paige remains the worst character on tv. She's so completely dimensionless and wooden ugh :sad: :sever:

That secret wedding was oddly cool and touching though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Paige remains the worst character on tv. She's so completely dimensionless and wooden ugh :sad: :sever:

That secret wedding was oddly cool and touching though.

Look at this bad opinion

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Golli posted:

I could definitely see P&E giving the Centre enough ammo to have Pastor Tim have an unfortunate burro accident in Nicaragua while traveling to his new job.

Sometimes people just get lost and run out of fuel. It happens.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

precision posted:

Honestly if they're not heading toward something where Henry gets one of those sweet Army offers where they pay for all your college in return for a mere 4 years of service, I'm not sure at all where else they could go with it.

it's called scholarship for service and the nsa will pay directly - army doesn't really hire a ton of math types, especially in 80s.

(Engineers yes, but not pure math)

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 11, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo, super obscure Bauhaus song out of nowhere (also, my favorite song of theirs). That was really unexpected, even most Bauhaus fans don't pay attention to the songs where Peter Murphy isn't singing

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"I don't want Stan to be like Martha" But she's so happy Phil :v:

I laughed when Tuan said he manipulated his peers into putting dogshit in Pascha's locker. Then I felt super bad when his mom brought it up :(

Developing secret spy film together is a family bonding moment :3:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

"I don't want Stan to be like Martha" But she's so happy Phil :v:

I laughed when Tuan said he manipulated his peers into putting dogshit in Pascha's locker. Then I felt super bad when his mom brought it up :(

Developing secret spy film together is a family bonding moment :3:

martha is dumb and deserves her dumb life in a dumb country eating dumb potatoes

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

maskenfreiheit posted:

martha is dumb and deserves her dumb life in a dumb country eating dumb potatoes

martha rules, sort of

her whole life is just over and she's coping with that with droning depression and a healthy core of anger (aka modern life)

bitchbaby paige is like 'oh no people lied to me once i'm incapable of functioning anymore i'm gonna cry a lot and rat out my parents to a predatory scumfuck priest! also my facial expressions range from plank of wood, to sad plank of wood'

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

bitchbaby paige is like 'oh no people lied to me once i'm incapable of functioning anymore
If by once you mean her entire loving life, then yes she was lied to once.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

howe_sam posted:

If by once you mean her entire loving life, then yes she was lied to once.

she only has 1 life, checkmate capitalists

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I thought I was bad at watching this show because I didn't really understand what was going on with Sofia until I went back and saw it wasn't really said, Stan is just trying to get info out of her. Then I saw the goon was was wondering if Tuan knows that he's working for spies.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

precision posted:

Holy poo poo, super obscure Bauhaus song out of nowhere (also, my favorite song of theirs). That was really unexpected, even most Bauhaus fans don't pay attention to the songs where Peter Murphy isn't singing

Busted: I was totally going "this seems familiar, what the hell Love and Rockets or Tones on Tail song is this??"

Paige is cool and good. :colbert: :ussr:

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Who was that ex-spy who got approached at her car? Evgenia? Is that Phillip'a ex girlfriend from spy school?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Pasha's parents comments about him reminded me of at least three Staind songs.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
i think a good twist would be this whole time pastor tim has been grooming page, he makes a pass and paige uses her newly minted kung fu skills to kill him

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
there are no noncreepy youth pastors

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

maskenfreiheit posted:

there are no noncreepy youth pastors

I just googled, "youth pastor," and my first three results are rape, youth pastor resources and years of grooming/multiple rapes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Who was that ex-spy who got approached at her car? Evgenia? Is that Phillip'a ex girlfriend from spy school?

Evgenia is Pasha's mother. The one the KGB wants to bring back to Russia to keep dating that CIA guy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Your Gay Uncle posted:

No, she's the Directorate S liaison who ultimately processes all the information from agents like Phil & Liz. She and Oleg were gettin' it on for a while before he went back to Moscow.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The way they kept showing the open door behind the priest, and the way the last shot of him singing was framed, I was 100% certain we were going to hear a gunshot, see him fall down, and see Claudia standing in the doorway.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Evgenia is Pasha's mother. The one the KGB wants to bring back to Russia to keep dating that CIA guy.

God drat I must have the fabled goon facial blindness, for some reason I just didn't recognize her.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I don't think I've noticed now before but Keri Russell wears brown contacts when she's with Evgenia.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Accretionist posted:

I just googled, "youth pastor," and my first three results are rape, youth pastor resources and years of grooming/multiple rapes.

loving hell

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

maskenfreiheit posted:

i think a good twist would be this whole time pastor tim has been grooming page, he makes a pass and paige uses her newly minted kung fu skills to kill him

As long as no real attack happens then yes. Youth pastors are creepy as gently caress, yes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Every youth pastor I've ever heard of has had to retire in disgrace or go to jail. And not just for sexual stuff, a lot of them are like "hey, let's smoke weed and drink beer and talk about God" because, as misguided as that is, they're obsessed with the notion that being a Christian is "cool".

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If he ever says that she needs to be saved by his divine jizz or whatever, I'm fine with him being murderlated.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

As long as no real attack happens then yes. Youth pastors are creepy as gently caress, yes.

I mean, he'd attempt, but Paige would judo his rear end.

I think the scene with the creepy ride guy followed by the mugging was foreshadowing.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Only 3 eps left this season and I'm still not really sure where this one is going.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
Season Finale Paige kills Pastor Tim to prove herself to her parents and Henry + two friends walk in on her clumsily moving the body

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

maskenfreiheit posted:

I mean, he'd attempt, but Paige would judo his rear end.

I think the scene with the creepy ride guy followed by the mugging was foreshadowing.

I think she's primed to see any forwardness (especially from an adult) as being a potential sexual assault because of these occurrences, so if Pastor Tim decides to even hug her for one second longer than her internal clock says is okay, she's gonna flip out, and it's not like she can go to the cops.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

phosdex posted:

Only 3 eps left this season and I'm still not really sure where this one is going.

Paige join the cause :ussr:
Henry is shipped off never to be seen again
Martha gets 2 potatoes for dinner after Oleg busts the food supply chain lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think she's primed to see any forwardness (especially from an adult) as being a potential sexual assault because of these occurrences, so if Pastor Tim decides to even hug her for one second longer than her internal clock says is okay, she's gonna flip out, and it's not like she can go to the cops.

She also already wrenched the poor neighbor boy's arm and shoulder when she dumped him

• Locked thread