Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

The newest episode of Laser Time podcast had an interview with Tad Stones, the creator of Rescue Rangers and Darkwing Duck, and he mentioned something about the new Ducktales that makes me pretty hyped: Disney gave the people working on it carte blanche to use anything from the Disney Afternoon aside from Chip and Dale since they have a movie in the pipeline right now, so one episode has them finding a vial of Gummiberry Juice and another has them in a ruin with statues of bear people.

He also said it's going to be serialized and not just a bunch of standalone episodes.

I'm very excited for this weird crossover of DuckTales and the ruins of TaleSpin characters. Oh and Gargoyles..wasn't that Disney Afternoon too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm very excited for this weird crossover of DuckTales and the ruins of TaleSpin characters. Oh and Gargoyles..wasn't that Disney Afternoon too?

It was. Built itself an entire separate universe, but I could see the new DuckTales giving it a nod.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Serialized, and with potential appearances from other members of the old programming block? So... is this the new Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc? I'm excited!

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The PPG reboot was weird because they got rid of all the women voice actors from the original series but kept the men.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They also slightly redesigned the aesthetic of the show, just enough to miss the entire point of the original designs but not actually put any real personal spin on them. The professor loses his harsh angles and the girls' noodle limbs got shortened even more. All the colors are also all washed-out for some reason too. They're just blindly copying without really knowing why. I haven't watched too much of the new show, but the episodes I've seen alternate between being boring and trying too hard to be viral.

Compare that to the redesign in 2014, which had its own problems, but it was clearly trying something as opposed to just blindly copying.

There was also PPGZ, but I never watched it, and I don't know if it ever really caught on outside of Japan.

Gaunab posted:

The PPG reboot was weird because they got rid of all the women voice actors from the original series but kept the men.

I didn't know about that part. Really casts a different light on things.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

They also slightly redesigned the aesthetic of the show, just enough to miss the entire point of the original designs but not actually put any real personal spin on them. The professor loses his harsh angles and the girls' noodle limbs got shortened even more. All the colors are also all washed-out for some reason too. They're just blindly copying without really knowing why. I haven't watched too much of the new show, but the episodes I've seen alternate between being boring and trying too hard to be viral.

Compare that to the redesign in 2014, which had its own problems, but it was clearly trying something as opposed to just blindly copying.

There was also PPGZ, but I never watched it, and I don't know if it ever really caught on outside of Japan.

I didn't know about that part. Really casts a different light on things.

I don't think PPGZ gained any traction stateside, though I don't think much effort was put into pushing it anyhow. Afaict, it was a pretty by the numbers Magical Girl series except they added a boy who was a protege of the professor I think and love interest to one of the girls.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't think PPGZ even got an official release in the States. I think it got a dub, but that may have been just for SE Asia. And yeah, it didn't really have anything going for it other than the novelty factor. Opening song still gets stuck in my head sometimes.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
PPGZ was really, really bad so you guys didn't miss much.

That said, yeah the opening theme kicked rear end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fo-8LkzC9U

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Argue posted:

Serialized, and with potential appearances from other members of the old programming block? So... is this the new Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc? I'm excited!

As long as there's no Nazis, I'm sold.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SlothfulCobra posted:

The thing that pissed me off the most about the aesthetics was how the girls' pupils would just contract into little black dots randomly and for no clear reason. Although that could very well have just been yet another animation error.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
They rounded off the Professor, a sin that cannot stand. :colbert:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I know people had problems with

SlothfulCobra posted:

But I adored that aesthetic. It's sharp, the coloring is striking and it looked unique in a way that kinda plays with how sudden movements could be in PPG. Much better than when they shoved PPG into Flash animation a few years back. The 2014 movie was also very much just an extended episode, a good one at that. What I'm saying is that every single person who criticized that movie is to blame for the current reboot.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Yeah and it caused a big fight last time.
And I still haven't watched it myself.

Fuzzy details:
There was a horse that wanted to be a unicorn and in trying to became a monster and ended up just staying or horse or something like that.
It would've been just an episode but the producers tried to put it out on social media that it was going to be a really woke episode.

So basically went over like the "let's give Pepsi to a cop" commericial

Clarifying on the last part of the details, the horse turned out to be a unicorn the whole time. Also lol if the producer actually said that was supposed to be a woke episode.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I will not be able to enjoy any attempt at the PPG brand until they stop making them look like sentient Funko Pops.

When they were popular around 1999/2000 it felt like they were designed as huge eyeballs on tiny bodies as some sort of exaggerated commentary on anime. Which was still back in the days "Anime, which stands for 'Japanimation', or 'Japanese Animation'.."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's really bizarre that they just junked the style, because it must've taken a lot of money and effort to develop. CGI is only cheaper if you're going to reuse assets, and that was an ambitious effort at making a 2D-CGI hybrid style. At least Ringo liked it.

I wonder what the story with that was.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's really bizarre that they just junked the style, because it must've taken a lot of money and effort to develop. CGI is only cheaper if you're going to reuse assets, and that was an ambitious effort at making a 2D-CGI hybrid style. At least Ringo liked it.

I wonder what the story with that was.

I'm pretty sure the story boils down to wanting to copy Teen Titans Go harder.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Argue posted:

Turns out the whole thing is part of the "Coward Tenth" era of Doctor Who (Between Waters of Mars and The End of Time) and this Scrooge is just an alias he's been running around under.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Craptacular! posted:

I will not be able to enjoy any attempt at the PPG brand until they stop making them look like sentient Funko Pops.

When they were popular around 1999/2000 it felt like they were designed as huge eyeballs on tiny bodies as some sort of exaggerated commentary on anime. Which was still back in the days "Anime, which stands for 'Japanimation', or 'Japanese Animation'.."

It was blatant anime with whatever the creator thought was cool. Mojo was bad/amazing old dubed villains, the professor was your mad/dad doctor from anywhere to Getter Robo's Saotome to Astro Boy's Professor Ochanomizu and the girls were his general take on super heroines who kicked a lot of rear end. Which made PPGZ all the more funny because turning faux anime into real anime just made it terrible.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

So here's a show I forgot existed and am now upset that its existence was reintroduced to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqIQsrBmLnA

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Sockser posted:

So here's a show I forgot existed and am now upset that its existence was reintroduced to me

What the gently caress is this animation :psyduck:

It's like someone made a dare, "what if we took the Klasky Csupo style and made it even more ugly and off-putting?"

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Benne posted:

What the gently caress is this animation :psyduck:

It's like someone made a dare, "what if we took the Klasky Csupo style and made it even more ugly and off-putting?"

It exists because the 00's were an animation wasteland.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I remember liking the Cramp Twins

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Sockser posted:

Whenever someone links something like this, it makes me glad I didn't watch many cartoons for the majority of the 2000s.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hihohe posted:

I remember liking the Cramp Twins

I don't remember liking it but I do remember it was on like all the loving time

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
This just confirms I have zero regrets about skipping CN in the 2000s.

Aside from Foster's or Codename Kids Next Door, is there anything worth revisiting from that era?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Benne posted:

Aside from Foster's or Codename Kids Next Door, is there anything worth revisiting from that era?

Clone Wars CGI edition was alright. Obviously it's about the trilogy people don't like, but it was well made stuff for TV standards, because George was pouring money down a toilet to produce it as his passion project rather than as a cheaply-made "sell more toys" project.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I feel like even though cartoons were enh at the time, Nickelodeon ruled that era. Jimmy Neutron and Fairly Odd Parents hit their stride and SpongeBob still resembled what it was.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Benne posted:

Ed. Edd Eddy is pretty primo and that ran 1999-2009.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Yeah, I wouldn't say cartoons before the 'modern' era were better by any stretch of the imagination, but there were still a good number of decent shows throughout the 2000s. You've got Samurai Jack, Justice League, Foster's, KND, Megas XLR, Avatar, and a bunch of other shows that were all worth watching. There was a ton of junk, too, but you can say that about every era.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Benne posted:

I would argue that Foster's hasn't aged well, and Kids Next Door was never worth watching.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I liked The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy as a kid but I doubt it's good enough to wanna revisit as an adult.

Now, Invader Zim, there's a show that's worth rewatching.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Looking back on it now, Billy & Mandy was incredibly hit or miss. There's some episodes of it that are still plenty funny, but there's also a lot that just aren't, at all. I think there's a reason CN liked to pick a handful of episodes to rerun constantly and ignore the majority of its episodes.

Like that goddamn battle of the bands episode was on like literally every week holy poo poo

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I had to look it up, because I'm terrible at remembering dates, but Sheep in the Big City, Time Squad, Samurai Jack, Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars, Megas XLR, Chowder, and Flapjack. I also remember enjoying Cartoon Cartoon Fridays back in the day, although it probably doesn't hold up at all now. There was a thing where they aired a bunch of pilots and let the audience vote on them.

But what really makes me nostalgic about the channel are the bits of flavor that they scattered around the commercial breaks. There were the Cartoon Network Groovies, and the Cartoon City bumpers, which I think the Amazing World of Gumall is the stylistic successor to, a bunch of characters in different styles existing in a 3D realistic environment.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I still get this song stuck in my head sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpLRJyWe814

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

But what really makes me nostalgic about the channel are the bits of flavor that they scattered around the commercial breaks. There were the Cartoon Network Groovies, and the Cartoon City bumpers, which I think the Amazing World of Gumall is the stylistic successor to, a bunch of characters in different styles existing in a 3D realistic environment.

Yeah, I loved those things, especially the crazy poo poo they would randomly air late at night in the pre-Adult Swim days. They also showed them as commercial bumpers on Boomerang before they rebranded that into the landfill for failed CN shows a couple years ago.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
The concept of the episode where Mandy smiles and reality itself unravels tickles my soul.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I had to look it up, because I'm terrible at remembering dates, but Sheep in the Big City, Time Squad, Samurai Jack, Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars, Megas XLR, Chowder, and Flapjack. I also remember enjoying Cartoon Cartoon Fridays back in the day, although it probably doesn't hold up at all now. There was a thing where they aired a bunch of pilots and let the audience vote on them.

Iirc, Sheep in the Big City was one of the series that won one of the pilot voting things. Same as Whatever Happened to Robot Jones and Billy and Mandy (which ended up getting a mildly amusing spin-off). I sorta feel bad for Maxwell Atoms since his latest project got a 40 11-minute episode order but it got sent to Boomerang after airing eight episodes.

Speaking of old CN cartoon producers, Tom Warburton (of KND fame) is now producing a Muppet Babies reboot for Disney

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The two pilot winners were Billy and Mandy and Kids Next Door. Robot Jones was part of one of them, but was not greenlit until a few years later.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://twitter.com/DisneyChannelPR/status/862336483910328321

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

That looks... dire.