Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

quote:

If you play Warhammer 40,000 today, you’ll know that there are a lot of twin-linked weapons about. These let you re-roll to hit dice, making them generally quite reliable, but potentially no more deadly than a single weapon. In the new Warhammer 40,000, twin-linked weapons instead get double the number of shots at half range.

Holy poo poo all the dakka. :allears:

quote:

Explosives
Warhammer 40,000 has no shortage of things that go ‘boom’. Whereas once these weapons would have used a template, in the new Warhammer 40,000, these are resolved much faster by just using a random number of shots. This represents either how many warriors are caught in the explosion, or how direct the hit is on a larger single-model target. Otherwise, these work exactly as any other shooting.

Explosives tend to work pretty well now against both numerous infantry and large individual models, but not as well against either as dedicated anti-infantry or anti-tank weapons.

That seems a lot faster, and pretty fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

berzerkmonkey posted:

GW has chosen to push the bad aspects of the Chaos gods in order to make them the bad guys of the universe - they used to have their "good" (or at least respectable) aspects as well.

Wasn't it originally that the chaos gods had a good/bad side to them (Khorne was the god of military honor AND slaughter) but something caused the warp to shift and make them go all in the bad parts? I thought I remembered something in the fluff about this.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Twin heavy bolters are heavy 6!!!! Which presumably means 12 s5 ap-1 shots at 18 inches. Holy gently caress.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
Meltaguns are S8 AP4 D6 damage haha gently caress you armor

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Geoff Zahn posted:

Wasn't it originally that the chaos gods had a good/bad side to them (Khorne was the god of military honor AND slaughter) but something caused the warp to shift and make them go all in the bad parts? I thought I remembered something in the fluff about this.

That's a popular fan theory, but from the Rogue Trader original sources they're all bad. There's nothing about honor in the Khorne section.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Pendent posted:

Twin heavy bolters are heavy 6!!!! Which presumably means 12 s5 ap-1 shots at 18 inches. Holy gently caress.

Yeah I'm hoping that all heavy bolters are Heavy 6 now. That poo poo would own.

I'm fine with the template change, but slightly disappointed with only getting D6 hits on a battlecannon shot. Then again, I suspect that sponsons will now be useful, and that shooting the cannon will give you like a -1 with other guns--note the lack of an "Ordnance" rule

Also the change to combi weapons loving owns.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hot drat buffs for my Marksmen Veterans.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
gently caress, I gotta start making some Chaos Heavy Bolter mans

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The new weapon stats along with the AM reveal yesterday makes the assault rules make more sense. There's more incentive for your dudes to get up in the face of the enemy army, because you'll be melting squads away with double the amount of shots, especially if you have twin-linked stuff. Clearly tanks will be at the front, because they're tough as hell and can pour out a devastating amount of firepower and count as cover. Bring your infantry up behind, shoot 'em up or charge, then enemy units can charge their turn.

This sounds fun as hell.

Also, I must have missed it, what's the D stat? Damage?

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles

Zuul the Cat posted:

Also, I must have missed it, what's the D stat? Damage?

Yes

Damage is calculated after save rolls. If you have Damage 2 and the enemy fails 4 saves they take 8 wounds total.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah I'm hoping that all heavy bolters are Heavy 6 now. That poo poo would own.

I'm kinda hoping that's a misprint, and they meant to have it as dual profile:
18" Heavy 6
36" Heavy 3

With the toughness and AP changes, 6>12 shots from these will have enough weight of fire to take down basically anything below T10.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Heads up--They just edited the article. Twin-linking straight-up doubles the shots fired at all ranges. Heavy Bolters are Heavy 3.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Heads up--They just edited the article. Twin-linking straight-up doubles the shots fired at all ranges. Heavy Bolters are Heavy 3.
Gw, you bastards.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Pendent posted:

Gw, you bastards.

Right? I still think Heavy Bolters are better now, but I'm not as worried about getting a squad of HB havocs painted immediately now

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

TheChirurgeon posted:

"Read it again guys, no typos here!"

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I posted this on a different forum many moons ago, but it seems pertinent here:

quote:

The thing is, Slaanesh doesn't have to be bland. There are a lot of places you could go with "sensualization" that don't have to go to sexualization.

For instance, consider the following aspects of Slaanesh and the potential daemons or powers that might arise from them:

Temptation: pretty much everything Slaanesh does should target a unit's Leadership stat, causing it to be lower. This would represent those distracting wants and desires softly whispered directly into the minds of poor mortals, tempting them to do the unthinkable. To ease their burden, to abandon their cause, to leave their post. To turn on a friend. How easy it would be; why, his back is turned! Haven't you ever wondered what it would feel like? Don't you want to find out? Deep down, in that place you try to compartmentalize, in that part of you that is ashamed? You know you do...

Taste: The Devourer - a daemon whose gluttonous urges force it to seek out new tastes, to mindlessly consume all. It could look like a gigantic, bloated, corpulent blob festooned with mouths. From each mouth extend icky, grasping tongues. Mmmmmm, delicious! Could be a great riff for Chaos Spawn.

Sight: The Unseeing - daemons (or heck, even cultists) who feel that mankind's over-reliance on sight causes their other senses to be stunted. Hence, they bind or cover (or put out, or mutate away) their own eyes. They don't want to watch you die; they want to hear your screams, to smell your blood mingling with the dirt, to feel your viscera in their hands. They want to fully experience your death and drink it all in deliberately.

Sound: The Siren - more nuanced than the cacophonous fury of Noise Marines, sirens don't seek to deafen, they seek to charm, to enrapture, to lure. The Warp Table power "Lure of Slaanesh" is a great starting point for this - how cool would it be to have a unit/monster whose power is to target an enemy unit and (if they fail a Leadership check, probably modified by the aforementioned temptation)force them to move their full distance towards you? What would be even cooler is if the Siren itself is not terribly killy - its purpose is not to harm you directly, but rather to harm you indirectly. It would make maneuver warfare more interesting - use your Siren to draw a unit of bikes or cavalry into making some Dangerous Terrain tests. Or pull a unit out of cover or off an objective.

Pain: a sensation to be reveled in like any other. Look to pretty much any creepy Dark Eldar unit for inspiration.

Knowledge: the Keeper of Secrets should be terrifying; not because it's a big, killy monster, but because it knows things. Things about YOU. Things you've never told anyone. It knows your deepest fear and your greatest weakness, and you know that it's going to use them against you the first chance it gets. A cool ability for this would be to give the KoS the ability to pick a new special rule every turn, representing its ability to find your weakness. You're a big, tough monster? The Keeper is FleshBane. You're a bunch of guys? The Keeper has Rampage (or Stomp!). You're a tar-pit? the Keeper has Hit & Run. Make its base stats relatively unimpressive, but make it weird and flexible and scary.

There is so much cool stuff you could do with Slaanesh. It's disappointing that GW never really got farther than, "huh huh, daemons with boobs!"

Ilor fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 10, 2017

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I'm guessing not since I couldn't find it with a quick google, but do we have any solid idea when 8th ed is dropping?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

Generic Razorbacks are starting to look pretty good. Cheapo transport firing off 12 shots is pretty good.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Khisanth Magus posted:

I'm guessing not since I couldn't find it with a quick google, but do we have any solid idea when 8th ed is dropping?

Rumormill right now says second week of June, IIRC.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Khisanth Magus posted:

The next WD issue was pushed back to Friday June 16th, and there was a rumour about GW store staff not being allowed to take holidays in the first half of June. Smart money says preorders on June 3rd with release on the 17th.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'm fine with the template change, but slightly disappointed with only getting D6 hits on a battlecannon shot.

On the upside, it's doing D3 damage too so that's up to 18 wounds per shot. Plus the multiple shot thing makes it more likely to hit something with that standard Imperial Guard BS stat, rather than the traditional scattering off the table or into your own dudes.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
I am a little sad that Heavy Bolters didnt get buff, I figured that was going to be their profile. I like that the guns are only changing a little bit. Also like that twin link does what it looks like it should.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Generic Land Raiders become positively bonkers with all these changes. I'll finally have to get one for 30k.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Sneaky melta rule preview as well. AP of -4 and roll 2D6 for damage at half range, pick the highest.

e: Super cool that combi-weapons are no longer one-shot.

Fuegan fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 10, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I am a little sad that Heavy Bolters didnt get buff, I figured that was going to be their profile. I like that the guns are only changing a little bit. Also like that twin link does what it looks like it should.

They get a buff in that moving with one is only a -1 to hit now, but yeah I was hoping for Heavy 6, even though that would be insane.

panascope posted:

Generic Razorbacks are starting to look pretty good. Cheapo transport firing off 12 shots is pretty good.

You'd only get 6 shots

panascope posted:

Generic Land Raiders become positively bonkers with all these changes. I'll finally have to get one for 30k.

yeah, this. Land Raiders are finally gonna be good again

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

They get a buff in that moving with one is only a -1 to hit now, but yeah I was hoping for Heavy 6, even though that would be insane.

You'd only get 6 shots

Yeah posted that before I saw the edit.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Twin-linked devourers are gonna be pretty nuts if they keep similar stats as now. Even at AP-, twenty-four dice per big bug will be hilarious.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I am considering getting back into the game for the first time in several editions, and despite my dislike of the changes to their fluff I'm probably going to get back into my first army, Necrons. That said, is it worth picking up the Getting started with Necrons bundle, or should I hold off until after the new army rules come out to know.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Khisanth Magus posted:

I am considering getting back into the game for the first time in several editions, and despite my dislike of the changes to their fluff I'm probably going to get back into my first army, Necrons. That said, is it worth picking up the Getting started with Necrons bundle, or should I hold off until after the new army rules come out to know.

The bundles are pretty good deals. I'd wager that even with new rules dropping, you're still going to need a couple of squads of warriors and a lord so it's probably not a bad investment.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles
I still can't get over meltaguns being AP4, that is just insane

Nothing in AOS has Rend-4. Archaon can kill gods and his sword is only Rend-1. Rend-2 is very rare and Rend-3 is only on a handful of (very expensive) models.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Khisanth Magus posted:

The only real advice anyone can give you is to buy the models you like the look of. At best we have educated guesses about how strong individual units will be in the new edition.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Pawl posted:

Nothing in AOS has Rend-4. Archaon can kill gods and his sword is only Rend-1. Rend-2 is very rare and Rend-3 is only on a handful of (very expensive) models.

Sylvaneth has a Rend -4 sword. It's only -4 on a 6+ to wound, but it is there.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles

TKIY posted:

Sylvaneth has a Rend -4 sword.

Are you talking about Durthu? He has Rend-2. It does 6 (!!) damage per swing but it's not Rend-4.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Pawl posted:

Are 2+ saves as common in AOS as 40k?

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
considering meltaguns are used to punch holes through tanks and fortifications, it makes sense that it can punch holes through tanks and fortifications

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Meltaguns are the only weaon that looks way less effective so far, with good reason (though against multiwound T5+ it's a significant upgrade). Can't wait to see how far Grav falls.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Are 2+ saves as common in AOS as 40k?

Most units are a 4+ save but there are some factions (Sylvaneth, Seraphon, Stormcast) that are capable of getting to 2+ (rerollable) saves. Seraphon can also ignore Rend-1 and sometimes Rend-2.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

The Salamanders I started working on that have been sitting around for a while really like this preview, since I went hard on combi-flamers and combi-melta while building them.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Geoff Zahn posted:

We've been bringing that up in all our Badcast episodes about the Chaos gods! Listen to them, it's the only thing that brings Dan joy*
https://40kbadcast.com/2017/03/20/40k-badcast-06-the-erotic-adventures-of-coldgore-hack-canker/
https://40kbadcast.com/2017/04/14/40k-badcast-07-a-discussion-regarding-parasitic-dipterans/
https://40kbadcast.com/2017/04/29/bloodblooddougblood/

Pawl posted:

AoS also doesn't have as many 3+ or 2+ saves in it. There's a lot more 4+ and 5+ dudes. Even Stormcast dudes are only a 4+ usually.

*Just kidding, nothing brings Dan joy

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

8th looks legitimately good maybe I should start playing again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Pawl posted:

Thing is 2+ saves still get a 6+ off that, it always felt kinda dumb that the toughest armor in the galaxy was as vulnerable to a gun as a naked fella.

• Locked thread