Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

bamhand posted:

I mean I figured I should just sell broken weapons that I couldn't repair for money. That seemed like a reasonable thing to do. Apparently I arbitrarily chose the wrong choice and now I'm hosed.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think a zombie should die after getting smacked in the head 10 times. Why offer that option at all if you're just meant to shove them into spikes? The game presents swinging your weapon as your main form of attack by assigning left click to swing pipes but apparently you're supposed to ignore all that and do all these other things instead. I'm acknowledging that I'm probably playing the game the wrong way but I can still say it's poor game design to have the most obvious way to play the game be the wrong one.

I suspect you're trolling now but it's pretty obvious that the point of all my posts is that there are multiple ways to play, and you're making everything binary. You shouldn't be playing open world games/games with multiple options if you can't handle that you're lovely at some things.

You're not playing wrong, you're thinking wrong, and you're probably poo poo at this game. You should drop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

It's been a cute troll, but you just tipped your hand. Sorry you can't be bothered with games more complex than Super Mario Bros.

Or are you suggesting that a comprehensive tutorial for the first 20-60 minutes of any game is somehow different from reading the manual?

Yes, games have tutorials because no one wants to read a manual. So you should present the relevant information needed to play your game in the tutorial. Not bury it in a manual. I don't think that's an unreasonable request.

Morter posted:

I suspect you're trolling now but it's pretty obvious that the point of all my posts is that there are multiple ways to play, and you're making everything binary. You shouldn't be playing open world games/games with multiple options if you can't handle that you're lovely at some things.

You're not playing wrong, you're thinking wrong, and you're probably poo poo at this game. You should drop it.

It's not multiple ways to play the game if one of them clearly doesn't work. A bunch of people have pointed out that melee is garbage until much later on. If you can put your hate toward my stupidity aside, why do you think it's good design to have the game offer you a bunch of pipes when you're starting out if you're not meant to go around clubbing people in the head? It's just actively misleading you.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 10, 2017

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

bamhand posted:

I mean I figured I should just sell broken weapons that I couldn't repair for money. That seemed like a reasonable thing to do. Apparently I arbitrarily chose the wrong choice and now I'm hosed.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think a zombie should die after getting smacked in the head 10 times. Why offer that option at all if you're just meant to shove them into spikes? The game presents swinging your weapon as your main form of attack by assigning left click to swing pipes but apparently you're supposed to ignore all that and do all these other things instead. I'm acknowledging that I'm probably playing the game the wrong way but I can still say it's poor game design to have the most obvious way to play the game be the wrong one.

Requiring a player to read a manual before playing is also poor game design.

Because at first you're weak and you have poo poo weapons. This changes quickly as you gain experience because the game seems to scale loot to your overall level.

You get a few recipes for improved versions of starter weapons, so try crafting those. It'll still take a while, but it'll be a little bit more manageable.

A good way to gain some combat experience is to do the combat trials which seem to be decoupled from whatever difficulty level you might be playing, and give good rewards. They're also incredibly satisfying to do, except for El Jeffe who has some rather challenging ones (although they teach you a few useful things about the game).

If you really need a good weapon, try doing the Stadium. It gives you tokens every few trials which you can exchange for good weapons. You don't need to play with others despite what the game is saying.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Macarius Wrench posted:

Wow, how do you manage to never play a Pokemon game, is that a conscious decision?

I think it's funny when people are talking about walking simulators being non-games because to me the non-games have always been Pokemon. RPS with a walking around to get new rocks minigame, woooooo.

(Yes this is a gross oversimplification, no I don't care about how deep it really is, stop typing.)

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
When I feel the way this dude is feeling I put the game down to Easy and have a good time.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SinineSiil posted:

I'm pretty sure I went for headshots, but I played more than year ago so I'm not 100% sure.
I noticed sometimes when trying to plink things to death I did not want to get into melee with that sometimes I couldn't actually hit the head. Like, I'd shoot over it, then move my aim down a tiny hair and then I'm hitting them dead in the chest. I think the bow has some autoaim that does not cooperate much with getting headshots.

bamhand posted:

So I have no doubt Dying Light gets better later on but this early game just reeks of awful game design. I had to kill three zombies for the quest objective and my brand new weapon broke before I killed a single one.
These early game weapons are absolutely terrible. Just keep that in mind. I agree that this isn't really good design but until non-terrible weapons start spawning (the quality of which is controlled by your Survivor level) you'll want to lean very heavily on the other methods of killing zombies. Late game weapons will instead last forever and reliably chop zombie heads off in one swing.

bamhand posted:

Yeah I'm level 2 or something and don't have any ranged weapons or molotovs. I think the solution is I need to ignore quests and grind xp until I can face stomp people or something.
You mostly get molotovs by crafting them. One string and one alcohol. I forget if you need to spend a skill point to learn how first.

You are hitting up the quartermasters every day for some weapons and crafting materials, right? White quality weapons, but every little bit helps in the early game. I think you start with recipes to upgrade starting weapons into entirely new weapons, if you can find a green wrench and the materials for it I recommend making the one that needs a wrench.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

can't wait for this dude to get to the first night sequence :allears:

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
The game tells you that you can repair weapons. When you go to repair the weapon you should also see the option to scrap it. That's how I figured it out. There are also weapons everywhere. Everywhere. My biggest complaint about the weapons was in fact that they are so loving everywhere and so fragile that you essentially place no value in them because you're just going to whack poo poo a couple times then scrap and replace it with whatever random thing you tripped over last.

The zombies take too much damage early on for sure. I think this was patched to be that way because people were just kicking zombies to death, but they went too far for the early game and probably should have had different tiers of standard zombies to smooth it out. But your I don't have any weapons and the game didn't tell me literally everything complaints are kinda dumb to double down on now that people have filled you in.

Also the real most annoying thing in that game is the zombies constantly grabbing at you and forcing you into that stupid QTE.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Orv posted:

I think it's funny when people are talking about walking simulators being non-games because to me the non-games have always been Pokemon. RPS with a walking around to get new rocks minigame, woooooo.

(Yes this is a gross oversimplification, no I don't care about how deep it really is, stop typing.)

Rock, paper, scissors is a game though

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Say, I realized I never did play the "The Following" thing, how is that? Is it more parkouring zombies to death goodness?

Orv
May 4, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

Rock, paper, scissors is a game though

The sense I get when people rag on poo poo like Gone Home and Dear Esther and whatever else, is that regardless of their merit as storytelling devices or whatever, when people say they're not games what they really mean is "I have a complete lack of interest in this medium/game and therefor it isn't _____". That's what I mean. Obviously both RPS and Pokemon are games, but I look at Pokemon and I couldn't think of a less entertaining way to spend my time.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Orv posted:

So a game where you literally cannot mechanically interact with anything is somehow more of a game than a game where you can mechanically interact with things?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

bamhand posted:

Yes, games have tutorials because no one wants to read a manual. So you should present the relevant information needed to play your game in the tutorial. Not bury it in a manual. I don't think that's an unreasonable request.

And I'm trying to explain to you that you are just describing "reading the manual" except sometimes there's voice acting.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'd be less on top of this guy if he didn't admit that he wants a full-on tutorial sequence. But even if he suggests that the game fails to teach through design, which is possible for some of the deeper subsystems, most people would be able to figure out by the third death or so that the game is trying its best to teach you that "beating zombies to death" is not part of your early-game toolbox.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Yami Fenrir posted:

So a game where you literally cannot mechanically interact with anything is somehow more of a game than a game where you can mechanically interact with things?

It's just a hot take, I don't think you're getting much more out of it.

As for series I think everyone played, probably one of local popular "sport game" (I'd say PES/Fifa but I know Americans can't enjoy sports they suck at and in that case it's probably Madden), Mario, Street Fighter and I'd actually put The Sims in that list even if you just did it for half an hour once.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
I mean, I never looked up what to do in Dying Light and I got like halfway through the story before I got bored. Mostly because it just kept unfolding into fetch quests upon fetch quests.

And I never had trouble with killing zombies except maybe the first big bruiser guy? Like, I'm not good at video games but you definitely do not need to read a manual and powerlevel to play Dying Light properly.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dias posted:

It's just a hot take, I don't think you're getting much more out of it.

I posted an actual explanation of my pithy joke.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Walking simulators are great things for your gran who is scared of real videogames to play!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zereth posted:

Say, I realized I never did play the "The Following" thing, how is that? Is it more parkouring zombies to death goodness?

It actually isn't. The map is a wide-open countryside instead of a big city, so your cool parkour abilities are mostly useless. You get a dune buggy to get around, but I hated it because it was always breaking down or running out of gas. It felt like it had all the same problems as early melee weapons, and this time you've got no alternatives. Some of the late-game driving skills sounded neat but I couldn't stick with it to find out.

I liked the new crossbow, and it was fun to just bomb around open fields running dozens of zombies over. I'll give it that.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 10, 2017

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Orv posted:

I posted an actual explanation of my pithy joke.

I know, I know.

Apropos of nothing, I noticed Pokémon has a pretty hard generational divide that doesn't quite match other cultural phenomenons. I find a lot of people around their mid 30s legit don't know poo poo about it and never played the games, while everyone around 18-30 was at least aware enough of it, even if otherwise both groups enjoy similar things in pop culture. For something as massive as Pokémon, I think that's pretty interesting.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

bamhand posted:

It's not multiple ways to play the game if one of them clearly doesn't work. A bunch of people have pointed out that melee is garbage until much later on. If you can put your hate toward my stupidity aside, why do you think it's good design to have the game offer you a bunch of pipes when you're starting out if you're not meant to go around clubbing people in the head? It's just actively misleading you.

there aren't multiple ways to play the game if my way doesn't work

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Dias posted:

I know, I know.

Apropos of nothing, I noticed Pokémon has a pretty hard generational divide that doesn't quite match other cultural phenomenons. I find a lot of people around their mid 30s legit don't know poo poo about it and never played the games, while everyone around 18-30 was at least aware enough of it, even if otherwise both groups enjoy similar things in pop culture. For something as massive as Pokémon, I think that's pretty interesting.

As a cultural phenomenon, Pokemon was, in my experience, very quickly established as "kid stuff for babbies", and as a middle-schooler my social circle were on the upper end of age ranges for people in my town to get super into the first game and then stay that way. It doesn't really surprise me that people like 4 years older than me basically ignored it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Really Pants posted:

It actually isn't. The map is a wide-open countryside instead of a big city, so your cool parkour abilities are mostly useless. You get a dune buggy to get around, but I hated it because it was always breaking down or running out of gas. It felt like it had all the same problems as early melee weapons, and this time you've got no alternatives. Some of the late-game driving skills sounded neat but I couldn't stick with it to find out.

I liked the new crossbow, and it was fun to just bomb around open fields running dozens of zombies over. I'll give it that.

I... hm. That doesn't sound as appealing but I already started reinstalling it. I guess I'll give it a shot later, I can always just uninstall it again. Doesn't sound like the buggy has the sheer fun of the "BYE LOSERS" shenanigans you can get up to with the grappling hook.

Nice avatar by the way.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

deadly_pudding posted:

As a cultural phenomenon, Pokemon was, in my experience, very quickly established as "kid stuff for babbies", and as a middle-schooler my social circle were on the upper end of age ranges for people in my town to get super into the first game and then stay that way. It doesn't really surprise me that people like 4 years older than me basically ignored it.

Yeah, I think it hit right when Cool Teen Stuff was edgy as gently caress too, so a game about raising cute animals to have battles with not a lot of consequences probably got actively ignored by that crowd.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

credburn posted:

If your sample is the entire world, then maybe. As for a games thread (even if it is PC-focused) I think almost everybody here has played both of them, and maybe everyone has at least played one.

I haven't played either series :cool:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There are probably more people on Earth who have played Tetris in some iteration than Pokemon.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Hollenhammer posted:

Well yeah but Ezio doesn't sound like Drake from Uncharted in those games...... right?

The Dying Light guy is Ezio. :v:

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

Zereth posted:

I... hm. That doesn't sound as appealing but I already started reinstalling it. I guess I'll give it a shot later, I can always just uninstall it again. Doesn't sound like the buggy has the sheer fun of the "BYE LOSERS" shenanigans you can get up to with the grappling hook.

Nice avatar by the way.

Yeah, they largely forego the parkour stuff in favor of driving. This might seem an odd choice, but I feel that they probably decided that people would have had their fill of parkour by the time they moved onto The Following and wanted to give players something new to do. Much like weapons and combat in the base game, the buggy sucks rear end and is pretty unfun to drive early on but becomes a death machine once you unlock some of the better skills and parts upgrades. I ended up enjoying it a lot, not quite as much as the base game but still a fun time.

The Following includes a few named optional "super boss" enemies and volatile hives, if that piques your interest.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The buggies own, I don't think I ever ran out of fuel since it's everywhere. (aim at the gas caps on any car you see)

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

https://twitter.com/sega/status/862322628534689792

Smoke em if you got em, everyone.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOp4XLA0oPk
http://store.steampowered.com/app/460810

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
edit: beaten badly by Boxman :)

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
25% off if you own Bayonetta, that's pretty great

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005
Congrats everybody. Fun game.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Oh wow, that's the first gameplay I've seen of the game.

That looks pretty nuts, digging that music too.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So everybody remembers when Revengeance came out and everybody was like "Yeah but... a Metal Gear game?" and then you all played it and it was rad as gently caress?

Revengeance wishes it could be as rad as Vanquish.

Play Vanquish.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - I don't know how you did it, but your opinions are reversed. Revengeance is better than vanquish. Vanquish was like Halo on consoles - great because it was a console game.

The Saints Row developers are making a squad combat single player 3rd person shooter and I'm torn because I thought SR3/4 were funny as gently caress, but I thought the actual combat and gameplay were pretty loving awful the weakest parts of the games.

bamhand posted:

Requiring a player to read a manual before playing is also poor game design.

Now you're just loving trolling, get out of here with that poo poo. Watch a youtube video of someone playing the beginning part and figure it out or uninstall the game since it might not be the type of thing you like.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 10, 2017

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Yes. YES. YES.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Drifter posted:

^^^ - I don't know how you did it, but your opinions are reversed. Revengeance is better than vanquish. Vanquish was like Halo on consoles - great because it was a console game.

You're literally insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Orv posted:

You're literally insane.

*smokes cigarette*

*smokes cigarette*

*smokes cigarette*