Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2000 Spiderman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

sweeperbravo posted:

What's up with women in Bizarro looking like they're from the 50's-60's?

Dan Piraro is a massive loving hipster.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

Slylock Fox and Comics for Kids

I was going to go with "No one willingly eats oatmeal cookies" but whatever.

Understanding Chaos

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I am going to say that the chance are pretty good that this Phantom thing is a massive fake out.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Johnny Aztec posted:

I am going to say that the chance are pretty good that this Phantom thing is a massive fake out.

The current situation with the death flags is basically

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

It's comics, so that's the default position. Actually being real would qualify as a major twist.

They could do it, and it would be neat - they're not exactly losing masses of great characterisation work done on Kit Walker, after all - but it's still not likely.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Gilchrist has the rare ability to draw cats that aren't cute at all. Good job* Gilchrist.

*read as 'gently caress you'

Sluggo's new cat is at like, Bill the Cat levels of unappealing, but at least Bill the Cat's grossness was intentional

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

NRVNQSR posted:

It's comics, so that's the default position. Actually being real would qualify as a major twist.

They could do it, and it would be neat - they're not exactly losing masses of great characterisation work done on Kit Walker, after all - but it's still not likely.

You say that, and we think that, but the fact is that there must eventually come a point where The Phantom actually has to die, and a new Phantom comes up to replace him. That's how The Phantom works.

Then again, that's what makes the strip intriguing. We know it has to happen eventually, and anytime it comes up it could just detour into a close call. Which is what will make it all the more shocking when it does happen, even though we knew it had to at some point.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

WindyMan posted:

You say that, and we think that, but the fact is that there must eventually come a point where The Phantom actually has to die, and a new Phantom comes up to replace him. That's how The Phantom works.

That's only in fiction, though. Kit Walker has been the 21st Phantom for more than 80 years and much as we might wish otherwise there's nothing to stop him being the 21st Phantom for 80 more.

It's very hard for a passing-the-torch idea - or any kind of permanent changes - to survive in a long-running serial unless you start making them early on. Newspaper comics in particular; the longer you maintain the status quo, the bigger the reboot you need to change it.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

NRVNQSR posted:

That's only in fiction, though. Kit Walker has been the 21st Phantom for more than 80 years and much as we might wish otherwise there's nothing to stop him being the 21st Phantom for 80 more.

It's very hard for a passing-the-torch idea - or any kind of permanent changes - to survive in a long-running serial unless you start making them early on. Newspaper comics in particular; the longer you maintain the status quo, the bigger the reboot you need to change it.

Right, but the strip is setting things up for that big reboot to happen, should the trigger ever get pulled. Just having Kit Jr. going off to start his education and training is setting the foundation. You'd never kill off the current Phantom with no one ready to pick up the mantle, but now that the boy is doing his off-camera training, we're just a montage away from a strip reboot, a flash-forward, and the continuing adventures of the 22nd Phantom.

Again, it's easy to think that it's not going to happen. But it's a lot closer to happening than it ever has been. Even if that means it won't happen for another 10 years, it's still closer to happening!!!

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Did. (August, 1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (September, 1916)

Doings of the Duffs. (September, 1918, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (August, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (August, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (January, 1941)

Archie (January, 1956, click for big)

Tweedy (April, 1956, click for big)

Feiffer (1973, click for big)

Andy Capp (October, 1971, click for big)

Wee Pals (November, 1971, click for big)

Dick Tracy (August, 2001, click for big)

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Slammy posted:

Wee Pals (November, 1971, click for big)

a particularly good Wee Pals.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Reply All

Zits

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Slammy posted:

Dick Tracy (August, 2001, click for big)

Well, yeah

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

SomeMathGuy posted:

Dan Piraro is a massive loving hipster.

Mark Trail

"His features keep changing slightly somehow. It's like he's drawn by a cartoonist who can't follow a character model consistently."

F Minus

Mary Worth

I don't want Mary Worth talking about watersports.

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

I don't want Mary Worth talking about watersports.

I'm really glad that someone else thought of that also.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
B.C.

Baldo

Wizard of Id

Big Nate

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Baby Blues

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Neigborhood of $83,000 today.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

Our names shouted in a certain dawn... a message... a summons... there must have been a moment, at the beginning, where we could have said no. But somehow we missed it

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Oddly enough, that is the same agreement she has with Amos.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (March 10-11, 1930)

Peanuts (May 11-12, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean, featuring a character cameo that reminds you that you could be reading something else right now.

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (July 21-22, 1930)

Thimble Theater (November 25-26, 1930)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean, featuring a character cameo that reminds you that you could be reading something else right now.

Tintin and the Cancer with the Golden Tumors

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

so which one is, at this point, the “old“ Star Trek show?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Mar. 24, 1995)

Garfield Classic (Mar. 24, 1985)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jesus christ that camera is in his face.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Pastry of the Year posted:

Garfield Classic (Mar. 24, 1985)

I've been meaning to write, these are much better when I pretend like Garfield's thought bubbles aren't there, and this is real proof of concept. Yes, I know this was once an Internet thing but no one has mentioned it since these started getting posted.

Tracksuit

That reminds me, does the new Persona game let you pick skills, or is it back to the old "waste way too much time with the RNG" system?

Mother From Another Country

Oh like it's never happened to you.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

"Actually, Curtis, there was a time not too long ago when I was going to quit smoking, cold turkey. But then you started nagging me constantly and I decided to keep it going just to spite you. Yeah, I'll die of complications from COPD in my mid-60s but I feel it will be worth it."

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Strontium posted:

Viivi & Wagner

Ooops! I forgot to tell a joke!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Zereth posted:

Ooops! I forgot to tell a joke!

He did an intentionally bad job at shopping so she'd come to the conclusion in the third panel.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Today's Dogg has been reruns lately.

Dustin

Mandrake

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pastry of the Year posted:

He did an intentionally bad job at shopping so she'd come to the conclusion in the third panel.
Oh I guess that makes sense.

I mean it's not really... funny, but.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

I've been meaning to write, these are much better when I pretend like Garfield's thought bubbles aren't there, and this is real proof of concept. Yes, I know this was once an Internet thing but no one has mentioned it since these started getting posted.

I agree. And "Garfield Minus Thought Bubbles" is far superior and more clever than "Garfield Minus Garfield," which... Yes? Any comic where you edit out the main character would be weird? What am I supposed to be taking away from that? So of course that's the one that got popular.

I'm going to need a Red and Rover here.

Luann

Every once in a while a Luann rant bubbles up inside of me and I have to let it out. Today is one of those days.

So, what, Luann and Jock are officially a couple now? Is Jock still dating other women (including Tiffany) as well? Because the previous stage in the relationship that we were shown was Luann grudgingly accepting an outing to the dog park with Jock while *in the same conversation* Jock was sett up a dinner date with Tiff. And then they went from this point to Couple and we were never shown any of this, not even that first date at the dog park, because we needed more time to watch Bernice stalk Piro like a creep? If we have to rate desirability of Luann strips, I'd *much* rather watch Luann and Jock's awkward trips to the dog park gradually turn into romance than Bernice's self righteous "it's ok if I'm the one doing it" brand of assholery. And the Evanses expect us to be like, "Oh, yeah, Luann isn't attracted to Jock and didn't want to date him and only accepted the first date to be polite but now you're telling me that they're both into each other so I accept that without being shown any evidence of such!" Even in these strips today you can see their apathy radiating off the screen.

Also his name is Jack now? No it's not, it's Jock. gently caress you, Evanses.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
After smashing all of the subpar pottery, he smashes a perfect one out of habit, is how I interpreted it.

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

They still are. Anything with a live mike is banned, even phones. Anyway, why do you bring a toy to work?

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Poor Richard's Almanac

May 7, 2011

May 9, 2011

Random Acts of Nancy

February 9, 1955

November 3, 1955

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Ali's House

October_24, 2016