Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Aphrodite posted:

The Senators likely have the 3rd or 4th smallest hockey fanbase even in Ottawa.

Our fanbase is plenty big, we just don't have people willing to spend the time and money to go out to the Corel Tire Thingy and get stuck in the parking lot for an hour on our way home. Also our city's largest employers make it an ethical violation to receive tickets for free, which I'm guessing isn't a problem for the wall street types who keep getting interviewed about why they're going to MSG in a suit. Can't drive, won't pay, eff it let's just go to a bar or to Ed's place and watch the game there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

Our fanbase is plenty big, we just don't have people willing to spend the time and money to go out to the Corel Tire Thingy and get stuck in the parking lot for an hour on our way home. Also our city's largest employers make it an ethical violation to receive tickets for free, which I'm guessing isn't a problem for the wall street types who keep getting interviewed about why they're going to MSG in a suit. Can't drive, won't pay, eff it let's just go to a bar or to Ed's place and watch the game there.

Yeah the arena thing doesn't help. I went to a Sens game 6 or 7 years ago and we legitimately thought we were lost because we were driving through corn fields and were about to turn around when all of a sudden a full sized NHL stadium materialized out of the blue. It's in just about the worst possible location imaginable.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

flakeloaf posted:

https://twitter.com/miakhalifa/status/862088453579825153

If this is true we HAVE to get him and Kimothy Walker together.

Truth is stranger than fiction, because the J doesn't stand for anything and his middle name is Leif:

https://www.nhl.com/blues/news/ask-a-player-t-j-oshie/c-432893

quote:

My first name is Timothy and my mom, when I was really young, watched the movie “The Champ” and the little boy in the movie’s name is T.J. She liked it and figured it would work out. The “J” actually (doesn’t stand for anything). Just something my mom gave me.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I'm not gonna pretend I'm above it. I'd be seriously peeved if a below average Ottawa team had its once-every-three-years three week PDO bender line up with injuries and a lucky bracket, and lead to them winning a Cup. Hell, I'm on the verge of melting down just because they made the ECF.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I live in ottawa and i love hockey and i couldn't give a flying gently caress about the Senators

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Hand Knit posted:

I'm not gonna pretend I'm above it. I'd be seriously peeved if a below average Ottawa team had its once-every-three-years three week PDO bender line up with injuries and a lucky bracket, and lead to them winning a Cup. Hell, I'm on the verge of melting down just because they made the ECF.

Stay strong

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Not sure the weapons that Pittsburgh and Washington could both bring to the ECF would make me term any of their opponents "lucky", but yeah the way this year's brackets played out is some kinda hosed.

quote:

A: Beard? No. Playoff patches of hair on my face would be more of what it would be.

Add Oshie to my ever-growing list of hockey players who are also probably cool people.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

flakeloaf posted:

The government thing is huge. Not only does it mean the biggest employer can't buy tickets, it means the suppliers aren't able to use tickets in relationship building / sales. That's significant.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I enjoyed my trip to Ottawa this past November and cannot believe the team I watched stumble around the ice that night is in the ECF. But at least it isn't the Rangers, Habs or Bruins.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

It would take a tremendous choke job for the Caps to lose to Ottawa. All the West teams remaining are better also.

I could see the Pens losing to them though if Maf turns back into a pumpkin and they continue to be so banged up.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Ginette Reno posted:

It would take a tremendous choke job for the Caps to lose to Ottawa. All the West teams remaining are better also.

I could see the Pens losing to them though if Maf turns back into a pumpkin and they continue to be so banged up.

See, as I read this, all I'm seeing is more reasons to freak the gently caress out if they win.

I guess I'll console myself by saying that, should truth and justice prevail and the Sens be squashed in the ECF, they will at least go down as clear evidence that the bracket system was hosed since it allowed a team like Ottawa to make it that far.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

NHL Playoffs 2017: Leafs Fans Meltdowns Go Here

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Crappy teams have made the finals every now and then, even in the 80's when the deck was stacked against you a lot more than now, and making it cheaply to the conference finals happens all the time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

NHL Playoffs 2017: Leafs Fans Meltdowns Go Here

The only fans risking a meltdown right now are Vancouver's I think.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

What was the last actually awful team in the SCF? The 2012 Devils?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Ginette Reno posted:

Sully saying that Murrary is healthy enough to backup, but hopefully MAF does what he usually normally does after having a really bad game.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Aurora posted:

I wouldn't say that the 2012 Devils were awful, or the 2010 Flyers.

2003 Ducks would be my answer.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
i would prefer it if the edmonton oilers hockey club won game 7 tonight and also lord stanley's cuo, thanks for listening

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I wouldn't say that the 2012 Devils were awful, or the 2010 Flyers.

2003 Ducks would be my answer.

2010 flyers weren't awful but they had no business making the SCF.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

fits posted:

i would prefer it if the edmonton oilers hockey club won game 7 tonight and also lord stanley's cuo, thanks for listening

Same only winning tonight, then never again.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Aurora posted:

Nah, the 2012 Devils had a still-decent Brodeur, Parise, Kovalchuk. They had 100+ points that season I want to say, definitely not a bad team.

Maybe the 2010 Flyers. They were a 7 seed and made the playoffs with like 85 points or something.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

2014 Rangers weren't very good. That was the lol Metro season.

They had fewer points than Ottawa does this season.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Aurora posted:

The 2012 Kings finished 8th in the West with 95 points. They slept through the regular season during their cup runs.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

A bunch of people had the 2010 Flyers making the SCF in pre season predictions

They just took a really weird path getting there :haw:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Borrowed from yesterday's GDT

Jordan7hm posted:

Anderson has not been great. He's had 6 great games, but also 6 pretty mediocre games. But he was real good in those great games.

I'm getting Ray Emery flashbacks. When he was on, man was he brilliant but when he was off, yikes could he play some awful hockey. I'd spent the time up till about a week or two ago thinking Anderson was a pretty solid puck handler; has he been using a borrowed stick or something?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I am more nervous about going to the game at Verizon Center tonight than I have been for anything in recent memory. Being a Caps fan is taxing.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Personally one of the biggest things I like about sports is that you don't know what's going to happen rather than being able to successfully model the outcome using statistical analysis

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What year did the kings win as a very low seed again?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

iospace posted:

What year did the kings win as a very low seed again?
2012 and they'd be a bad example.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Spring Break My Heart posted:

2012 and they'd be a bad example.

Didn't they do really, really well t...

quote:

The Kings also became the second team to eliminate the first, second and third seeds from the playoffs in the same post-season (after the 2003–04 Calgary Flames), as well as the only team to win the Stanley Cup after defeating the first, second and third seeds in sequence. (Darryl Sutter was the head coach of both the 2003–04 Flames and 2011–12 Kings.) They then defeated the New Jersey Devils in the Stanley Cup Finals, becoming the first eighth seed in North American professional sports history to win a championship. They are also one of the few teams to win a championship after never benefitting from home-venue advantage in the post-season. Los Angeles would start every series by winning the first three games, only sweeping the St. Louis Blues.

Jeepers.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

The '05-06 Hurricanes were pretty unimpressive.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
112 points and a +34 g/d -- better than people give them credit for.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

yellowcar posted:

The '05-06 Hurricanes were pretty unimpressive.

They won like 50+ games and had a really solid roster.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
:cripes:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I still maintain that the Sens are the only Canadian team allowed to win the cup because, despite arguments to the contrary, I just know the hand-wringing in the rest of the country, namely Toronto and Montreal, will be so good pump that thick poo poo straight into my veins

I'm especially keen to see how Sportsnet/CBC would handle it. They've been clearly rooting for the Rangers in both series.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Hand Knit posted:

Ottawa's 13th in 5v5 PDO in the playoffs this year. 5th in possession (3rd among remaining teams) at 5v5. The only place they're noticeably getting lucky is on special teams.

Like yeah most of the team is bad, but Erik Karlsson's a hell of a drug and the Sens are running at 57% possession for 28+ minutes a night while he's on the ice. And their top 6 forwards aren't that bad either.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
yeah, ottawa isnt sexy at all, but they're certainly not terrible. they're going to put up more of a fight than people think they will against washington or pittsburgh with or without lucky bounces

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bub spank posted:

Ottawa's 13th in 5v5 PDO in the playoffs this year. 5th in possession (3rd among remaining teams) at 5v5. The only place they're noticeably getting lucky is on special teams.

Those numbers are the result of their luck, not evidence against it.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

They won like 50+ games and had a really solid roster.

Ehhh I just remember the Southeast being the Real Bad division and colouring my perception that way.

Also holy poo poo I forgot that Ottawa had a +103 goal diff. that year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
caps have a 9.5% chance of winning game 7

teams with a 3 - 1 series lead have a 268 - 28 record in the playoffs

that means 90.5% of the time the team with the 3 - 1 series lead ends up winning the series

caps have a 9.5% chance of winning game 7

• Locked thread