Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Nope, the Bunker was destroyed and there are no more backup bodies. Manual (quick) saves are the only way to go now. The upside is that you don't have to worry about losing your chips!

Oh poo poo I didn't even put that together but it makes more sense that way for sure, at least you are right I don't have to worry about chips :P

Does anyone know the answer to my 2nd question? I checked a gamefaqs walkthru when I was a bit lost and it looks like I still could do more with A2 that might have been useful before going to 9S, will I still get the chance or is it too late? Talking about Pascal etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
You didn't miss anything. You'll switch back eventually. The choice there is just the order you see a couple story segments in, but the game will have you play through everything.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
OK good was hoping that was the case but when I searched a few guides to try to confirm they all are like OK we will do this story in full then this one so wasn't sure if switching midway messed it up.

Now I just need be done with work so I can figure out WTF is going on in this game some more. Definitely going to have to dedicate some more time to quests once I can chapter select since I feel like I rushed thru A without realizing it and barely did much side stuff. I did a lot more in B but still accidentally started the road towards the end without thinking and wasn't done yet :smith:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I have to wonder if they had a system in place where any character model can be replaced in to have the same combat animations or if they actually made unique animation work for Devola and Popola specifically. If latter I could see that being a DLC hook

Phobophilia posted:

The Black Boxes are based on machine cores, which is kind of odd, because those things don't have any kind of consciousness, only a high output power source.

Pascal's dialogue seems to confirm you can have your core outside your body so that's not necessarily true. I'm pretty sure it contains consciousness data since by the end the machines are collecting YoRHa too

Nina fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 10, 2017

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Also, who had the bright idea of locking neon hair dyes behind lvl 130 mobs? I've died countless times on Easy just so I can collect more items for A2. I'm Lvl 99 and I still can't kill the 2 waves even with 9S.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Alder posted:

Also, who had the bright idea of locking neon hair dyes behind lvl 130 mobs? I've died countless times on Easy just so I can collect more items for A2. I'm Lvl 99 and I still can't kill the 2 waves even with 9S.
Well, according to rule 140384...

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Just beat Route C and I have a few questions

1. I read an ending guide for D and E and I want to do those before I tackle the remaining side content. Obviously I can't do that if my save is deleted. How do I backup and restore my save?

2. What's with the desert boss arena where you meet Adam and Eve for the first time? I went back there a few times after that boss fight and it spawns seemingly infinite waves of level 38 machines. Does that ever trigger something if you kill enough of them?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

clockworkjoe posted:

1. I read an ending guide for D and E and I want to do those before I tackle the remaining side content. Obviously I can't do that if my save is deleted. How do I backup and restore my save?

2. What's with the desert boss arena where you meet Adam and Eve for the first time? I went back there a few times after that boss fight and it spawns seemingly infinite waves of level 38 machines. Does that ever trigger something if you kill enough of them?

Nope, it's just a spot for grinding.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

clockworkjoe posted:

You don't have to delete your save. You can play the ending again to delete your save later, if you want.

Refused
Sep 6, 2005
Will high upgraded chips ever let you take more than a single hit against the lv. 130 enemies? I had HP Up +6 and Melee/Ranged Defense +6 and was still dying to a single enemy spam bullet as lv.99 2B.

The special rank desert arena is a lot more fun. Going nuts as A2 with a berserk/taunt oriented chipset was probably the most fun I've had with the gameplay. I wish it would ramp up in difficulty or something instead of cutting off at 5 minutes.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Refused posted:

Will high upgraded chips ever let you take more than a single hit against the lv. 130 enemies? I had HP Up +6 and Melee/Ranged Defense +6 and was still dying to a single enemy spam bullet as lv.99 2B.

The special rank desert arena is a lot more fun. Going nuts as A2 with a berserk/taunt oriented chipset was probably the most fun I've had with the gameplay. I wish it would ramp up in difficulty or something instead of cutting off at 5 minutes.

Yes, IIRC you need +8 DEF chips so you can take 2-hits but honestly, I don't want to grind that many chips just for a single arena battle.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
There are defensive chips that give you a chance to negate damage after you've taken it that served me well on various secret bosses and the high level DLC arenas on Hard difficulty. Not sure if those trigger when you have low hp or are on very hard difficulty tho.

but yeah obviously expect a fair number of one shots, or just cruise very easy+auto mods to get to the rewards asap

edit: still haven't made it past the 60 minute timelimit lv130 one on hard, in case that wasn't clear. Taunt+7 doesn't help me dodge wave 4's nightmare.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 11, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I still can't get over just how good the god cult section is in the lead up to the first ending. It is confusing and messed up, but the masterstroke is how they handle segments that in any other game would be segments of high or low stress.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Soon.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
The operators are so lovely. There will never be enough artwork dedicated to them.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How long is this game and will I like it if I like Revengeance?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Depending on how many side quests you do, probably somewhere around 20-40 hours. Its combat stuff is all way more simple than most platinum games, but still overall good.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I finished all paths in around 23-25 hours with a little bit of side quests.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

RoadCrewWorker posted:

but yeah obviously expect a fair number of one shots, or just cruise very easy+auto mods to get to the rewards asap

edit: still haven't made it past the 60 minute timelimit lv130 one on hard, in case that wasn't clear. Taunt+7 doesn't help me dodge wave 4's nightmare.

Even on Easy mode they turn-off auto-chips and they have 5% less HP than normal setting :v:

Also, I hate controlling the pods and the hacking mini-game so I always leave them on auto.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I have 56 hrs and I did 67% of side quests and have MOST of the weps except the few which require jump quests/racing. You will probably complete it under <30 hrs unless you're into Very Hard mode.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

clockworkjoe posted:

It asks if you will let it delete your save. You can just say no. It still counts either way. So get ending E, say no, then go do the sidequests. Have fun with ending Y. :allears:

The desert arena is just for infinite grinding. There's no reward other than the XP you get from killing the bots. You can leave the arena at any time.

...! fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 11, 2017

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Second question, are the PC port problems mostly patched and fixed at this point?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

When I played through a few weeks back, it was mostly bug free except for two crashes through the entire game.

Also eating a mackrel without saving.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Second question, are the PC port problems mostly patched and fixed at this point?

There's the FAR mod but I don't think they will patch anything out at the point of time.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Alder posted:

There's the FAR mod but I don't think they will patch anything out at the point of time.

The game only just got released though

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

...! posted:

It asks if you will let it delete your save. You can just say no. It still counts either way. So get ending E, say no, then go do the sidequests. Have fun with ending Y. :allears:

The desert arena is just for infinite grinding. There's no reward other than the XP you get from killing the bots. You can leave the arena at any time.

Thanks! Ending D and E don't really explained that much. So many questions. I'll watch this to see if it explains more but are there any other good lore videos that explain the ending?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqrMlOUkfc0

Specifically my questions:

Who was the antagonist in Route C? I get that whoever built the back door in the Bunker wanted to get ride of YorHA at some point but if the humans are dead, who did that? There's a few androids on the moon supposedly. Are they the masterminds? I assume the same antagonist that wiped out Yorha also built the cannon/tower, which was designed to destroy the moon base, so that rules out moon androids I guess. Also what caused the machine zombie virus that wiped out Pascal's village and messed up the theme park? Since the droids are rebuilt in ending E with their memories, will they just hang out in post-apoc Earth and chill? I mean, no one's going to give them orders and they know that fighting the machines is pointless.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

clockworkjoe posted:

Thanks! Ending D and E don't really explained that much. So many questions. I'll watch this to see if it explains more but are there any other good lore videos that explain the ending?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqrMlOUkfc0

Specifically my questions:

Who was the antagonist in Route C? I get that whoever built the back door in the Bunker wanted to get ride of YorHA at some point but if the humans are dead, who did that? There's a few androids on the moon supposedly. Are they the masterminds? I assume the same antagonist that wiped out Yorha also built the cannon/tower, which was designed to destroy the moon base, so that rules out moon androids I guess. Also what caused the machine zombie virus that wiped out Pascal's village and messed up the theme park? Since the droids are rebuilt in ending E with their memories, will they just hang out in post-apoc Earth and chill? I mean, no one's going to give them orders and they know that fighting the machines is pointless.

Taro confirmed that recently the mastermind behind Project YoRHa is a single android but as of yet their identity is unknown. Expect them to be revealed in some kind of supplementary material. The machines are not behind it in any way, they're just in it for the ride. The machines go "crazy" because the Tower initiates a program to recover all consciousness data in machine cores to be uploaded into the Ark

To find out why humans are dead play the first Nier

A lot of your questions are really just answered by "nobody knows"

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

clockworkjoe posted:

Who was the antagonist in Route C? I get that whoever built the back door in the Bunker wanted to get ride of YorHA at some point but if the humans are dead, who did that?

From the 50 question Q&A with Yoko Taro, supposedly it's an unnamed android who was behind Yorha. It's possible that this will be expanded upon later, or just left up to the player's imagination.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

YoRHa was created as a morale booster by a shadowy council of ruling androids. Jackass dropped a file in your inventory after ending E, she's on top of it.

Pascal's village was destroyed by the machine network because it decided that they were unnecessary and it wanted to consolidate its resources. The network was personified as those red girls you kill as A2.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
How do I get the photograph spot in the desert? The area marked on the map is just outside where I can walk due to the sandstorm. Later playthrough?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Only Shallow posted:

How do I get the photograph spot in the desert? The area marked on the map is just outside where I can walk due to the sandstorm. Later playthrough?

If you are heading towards the location from the save point, bear right when you start running into the storm, there is a path to get around it.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Only Shallow posted:

There's a small valley with ruined buildings on the side you can walk through

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Only Shallow posted:

Do the above, and be on the lookout for palm trees too.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

The game only just got released though

i don't really consider two months ago "just released." i don't rule out the pc version getting patched at some point but most developers would have already pushed one or two patches out already.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

these two together are as cute as 2B and 9S

(Yui Ishikawa and Natsuki Hanae, 2B and 9S's va)

Jinrui ni eiko ari!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I just got the B ending. My one complaint so far is that the 'bullet hell' segments (and the extended hacking sequences) aren't anywhere as fun as the core of the game. I wish they'd brought an experienced shmup to make these parts engaging if not difficult. My comfort zone would be, say, Stage 3 Easy of Imperishable Night.

And besides, having the final hacking stage of B path be a fight against a crappy drawing of Eve would totally be in Yoko Taro's wheelhouse :nignog:

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Yeah, I think they wanted to strike a balance of "the shmups are an actual core part of the game" and "this is a major production game, 80% of our audience will be terrible at shmups"

I think between the sidescrolling shooting, the twin-stick sections, and the hacking sections, the shooter elements are robust enough. The hacking sections have some really memorable sequences, and hacking is integrated into the game in interesting ways. I think the mecha sections feel like palate cleansers more than anything though, especially once you start to get healing chips that make them trivially easy to complete. There's never that "aha!" moment where the mecha combat comes together in a narrative or thematic way, the way it does with hacking.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Won't be able to play the game for about a week but I did start on path B and it is amazing how quickly the new content escalates into weirdness.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I'm actually sad the DLC didn't include like flying challenges because I really enjoyed those parts of the game and would've liked some tougher missions in that format

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the flying parts were boring as gently caress, at least hacking didn't take ten minutes of mashing the same button every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

mashing in a shooter section? why would you do that to yourself