Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Veryslightlymad posted:

I feel less bad about going AI to see that you immediately won afterward.

I was Man in that aforementioned scenario. My Pretender REALLY liked going off script. I had other buffs he was supposed to cast, namely that earth one that actually makes his fists into weapons, but the mother fucker WOULD NEVER CAST IT, no matter where it was in the scripting.
Just fyi this is an attack spell not a buff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Corbeau posted:

Does anyone - anyone - think indie zotz are a good thing to have in this game? Because I'm tempted to do cave province indies manually rather than risking another game setup without the no indie zotz mod.

You could do this and make it the default option in a checkbox or something because indie bats are indeed really dumb.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Mountain & cave update:

I'm not totally sold on it yet.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 4, 2017

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
More iterations, and I think that I'm 90% done with mountain and cave provinces. Might make small tweaks and need to make some cave-variation mountains, but other than that I think this version pleases me:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

jBrereton posted:

Just fyi this is an attack spell not a buff.

:suicide:

Mother fucker

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I was pythium in that game, I think it was my third game of dom4 I was having an awesome time. Then the harpies came and they were in too deep and destroyed me.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Corbeau posted:

More iterations, and I think that I'm 90% done with mountain and cave provinces. Might make small tweaks and need to make some cave-variation mountains, but other than that I think this version pleases me:

It's hard to tell that they are caves, I think the vanilla generator puts a little cutaway pic of the interior on the mountain?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
How about bright pink comic sans font that says "CAVE"

Working on the theory that people are more inclined to like you if you display one fatal flaw and are otherwise perfect.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Veryslightlymad posted:

How about bright pink comic sans font that says "CAVE"

:yeah:

Also how does this all look with actual units? The maps are looking goddamn gorgeous but the busier they get the more I wonder how much that interferes with the ability to see your dudes, especially in mountainous and swamp provinces

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

also fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck I'm jonesing for this bad bad game again and it's mostly your fault Corbeau

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I'm supposed to be doing a cave sprite but I wasn't happy with my previous attempts.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

ChickenWing posted:

:yeah:

Also how does this all look with actual units? The maps are looking goddamn gorgeous but the busier they get the more I wonder how much that interferes with the ability to see your dudes, especially in mountainous and swamp provinces

A reasonable concern. Playtesting will tell. So far it hasn't been a problem.

Mukip posted:

I'm supposed to be doing a cave sprite but I wasn't happy with my previous attempts.

I have an alternate idea that I'm going to try mocking up with my usual programmer art. If you still want to do sprites but want to do something else, would you be interested in doing Peliwyr-style houses? I've had an idea for how to implement farmlands so they're likely next.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Second farmlands take after the first completely failed ( :v: ):

Still need to add more variation imo, including buildings. Also have been getting a bunch of bugs that I need to track down, because they have implications beyond farmlands.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Can we get some lil scarecrows sticking out of the corn

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Solved my aforementioned bug. It's frustrating when both a data entry function and the function that references it are wrong in the exact same way, meaning they work perfectly together... as long as nothing else needs to reference that data.

Turns out farms needed to check that data. :v:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Actual question: maximum lines or minimum lines?

e: Or perhaps a mix...

e2: IMO the best mix:

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 10, 2017

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Maximum or configurable with Maximum as an option IMO.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I also like maximum the best

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Minimum lines for me.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Maximum power

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Figures, a ton of new posts and they are all just about minmaxing.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

jBrereton posted:

Allied Recruitment V2

New Features:

- Every nation, every era is supported
- No extra sites in your own forts (unless I missed some way it could happen other than Charm/Enslave, in which case tell me and I'll get it fixed!)
- No standing about for a turn for awkward transformation stuff.
- Uses fewer monster IDs for easier compatibility with other mods (4200-8)
- Allies of MA Ermor, Lemuria and Therodos UW get some Longdead/Spectral recruits that cost gold + res you can lead with normal commanders.

What does this mod actually do? The original post is edited and doesn't contain a description of what it did in the first place.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
OK, so when you station the same kind of commander as you start with in another faction's fort, it generates a site that allows recruitment of 3 of that faction's units, until they leave.

Information-dense example image:

Really intended for Disciples games, although it occurs to me that if you enslaved, wished for, or charmed a commander it would also work.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Defacing Mukip's mountain sprite(s) as a step toward making cave provinces read as cave provinces at a glance:

It's a bit crude on my part, but I think that I'll expand it to the rest of the mountain sprites that get spawned in a cave provinces.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I'm seeing shades of

Which is a good thing IMO

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Phase 2 complete. If this doesn't read as "CAVE PROVINCE HERE" then I don't know what will.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Real talk those actually look fantastic, and better than trillwinter's weird cave-bubble image.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I like it a lot.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Experimenting with desert texturing:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Algorithm tweaks for mountain and desert provinces:

Probably going to do some UI cleanup next. Waiting on house sprites and considering how to do desert rocks (if I do them at all). After that, well... it's nearly ready for a beta release.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
So Mukip sent me some buildings today. Combined with some algorithm wizardry, we now have proper towns.

Color generation still needs tweaking (I'm not entirely pleased with the range it spits out yet), but I feel extremely pleased with the overall effect.

Also implemented most of my little UI tweaks today, so we're nearing beta release. Probably later this week. For real this time.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

i was wondering wtf the brown circle was for but then i realize forts go there. voted 5/5 burden of times

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Reduction in color options based on discussion:

Opinions? Right now blue only occurs in (some) coastal towns. Should it occur it all? Should there even be color variation? Maybe the red needs to go even if blue stays? Questions that need answering!

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 16, 2017

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i really like the color variation, personally. especially if it has mild influence from the map location.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Continuing color tweaks and desert tweaks, now with a closer view:

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Corbeau posted:

Reduction in color options based on discussion:

Opinions? Right now blue only occurs in (some) coastal towns. Should it occur it all? Should there even be color variation? Maybe the red needs to go even if blue stays? Questions that need answering!

I think color variation is cool and I like the new colors.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Another desert revision. Getting closer I think.

e: And one last bonus screenshot for the night, just because I think it looks cool. :3:

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 16, 2017

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Nice!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This is really good. Your progress is amazing, and I will definitely be using it once it's finished.

Coastal towns being blue is nice, it's always helpful when you can recognize these things with one glance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I too find myself unreasonably excited at the prospect of having better looking background images for a game I play for 30 minutes every month, keep up the good work.

• Locked thread