Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

No. No it's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I think Vlaada's going to be at UK Expo though, so I'll get to meet him again. Back when Strategicon was having real game designers instead of them inviting the Fluxx designers every con, Vlaada came to our Con in LA. It was awesome meeting him, one of the designers who I have a high amount of respect for.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Truant posted:

Wait are you actually Vlaada Chvatil? :psypop: If so I dig your games!

I am Tom Vasel

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Are there any games that are must haves or must plays but aren't easily available in the US right now?

I'm in Berlin for a week and I went into Brettspielge-something today and couldn't find anything that jumped out at me.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Are there any games that are must haves or must plays but aren't easily available in the US right now?

I'm in Berlin for a week and I went into Brettspielge-something today and couldn't find anything that jumped out at me.

A Feast for Odin maybe?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Impermanent posted:

Some games are designed for people who want to go deep on them - it's not like Twilight Struggle, which was reigning champ of BGG for several years, isn't completely inaccessible to new players either. It just takes a lot of effort to be good. Dominion is the same way, although it tends not to feel like it to new players because they rarely play people who understand the game. Yomi is hard to play and hard to find someone to play with, but it simply does things battlecon is incapable of doing, full stop. Accessibility is merely one metric by which to judge a game, and there's oodles of strong games with poor accessibility.
I think there's a place for all of the fighting card games, and each does something slightly better than the other. Yomi models wake-up, hit confirms, combos and (partially) high-low mixups etc. EXCEED does attack pressure, corner situations and zoning better. BattleCON is better for deep character knowledge, spacing etc. Way of the Fighter has jumping but it is poo poo and you shouldn't play it.

A complete fighting game doesn't exist and frankly, it shouldn't exist, because it would be crap.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Rutibex posted:

A Feast for Odin maybe?

CSI has some in stock *right now*.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

I wouldn't say any game is a must play/have, but I really like Voyages of Marco Polo, Concordia, and wir sind das volk. All are rather hard to find in the us and are pretty language independent.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

silvergoose posted:

CSI has some in stock *right now*.

Lemme raise this a bit further.

A Feast For Odin is currently in stock on coolstuffinc if you want a copy for a very reasonable 85 bucks

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Concordia is an excellent game, very fun if a little long few playthroughs last month

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Papes posted:

I wouldn't say any game is a must play/have, but I really like Voyages of Marco Polo, Concordia, and wir sind das volk. All are rather hard to find in the us and are pretty language independent.

I believe Z-man has planned a new reprint of The Voyages of Marco Polo soon (TM).

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

silvergoose posted:

A Feast For Odin is currently in stock on coolstuffinc if you want a copy for a very reasonable 85 bucks

That's nuts, I think I paid less than that in Canadian dollars back when it first arrived.

Goddamn FfO is great, I need to play it more.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

golden bubble posted:

I believe Z-man has planned a new reprint of The Voyages of Marco Polo soon (TM).

They have but not until late this year if I remember correctly, assuming no delays.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

That's nuts, I think I paid less than that in Canadian dollars back when it first arrived.

Goddamn FfO is great, I need to play it more.

The price got raised for the run immediately following the first, basically, and has stayed at that 85ish level since.

Compared to the secondary market 130+ though...

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

w00tmonger posted:

Speaking of millennium blades, it's deal of the day at miniature market for $45

so say someone were to be buying this, do they need to get any expansions? I think I might get Set Rotation if that has the single-player stuff?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I know a guy who has a playtest copy of Discworld: The Gods, doesn't like it but is keeping it anyway. Can someone please give me a heads up on how illegal murder really is anyway?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Deathlove posted:

so say someone were to be buying this, do they need to get any expansions? I think I might get Set Rotation if that has the single-player stuff?

The base game includes a ton of content so I would say no, it's not needed.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Lord Frisk posted:

No. No it's not.

Rutibex posted:

I am Tom Vasel

Why is the internet so confusing!?

silvergoose posted:

drat, this makes me want to buy another copy of it cause it's so cheap!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Deathlove posted:

Play the base game and see if you like it. The Expansions are mostly just more stuff rather than any additional mechanics, minus stuff like a single player mode or something.

Or scenario B is play the base game, like it, then realize that the expansions are all sold out everywhere except Ebay and third party Amazon for value x 5.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

I notice Forge War has rules for solo play. Anyone tried it? Is it any good?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Find me a copy of Maria and one for yourself also.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

jmzero posted:

Gonna start a normal solo game in 1/2 hour...

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Cracked and bought FfO off CSI since no one in the UK has any clue when they'll get their shipment after emailing numerous .co.uk game stores.

85 bucks for the game. 70 bucks for shipping welp.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Tai posted:

Cracked and bought FfO off CSI since no one in the UK has any clue when they'll get their shipment after emailing numerous .co.uk game stores.

85 bucks for the game. 70 bucks for shipping welp.

It will be back in stock in a year. You should cancel your order.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Tai posted:

70 bucks for shipping

:eyepop:

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

I don't think I've paid 70 dollars for shipping combined from my game purchases.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Bet you have tangerine head as president, just sayin'

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Lorini posted:

Maybe not for much longer?

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Lorini posted:

Yup, which is I love the escapism that gaming provides :)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jedit posted:

I know a guy who has a playtest copy of Discworld: The Gods, doesn't like it but is keeping it anyway. Can someone please give me a heads up on how illegal murder really is anyway?

It's only illegal if you get caught.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Gamers United Against Trump

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I played Brass yesterday, managed to win after nobody was developing in the first phase and I got one level 3 cotton mill, two level 2s cotton mills and a level 2 port down. Heavy developing strats still work.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Fuuuuck I really want to get Millenium Blades but I'm not sure about the art/theme (the concept is 100% solid but man that's a lot of anime)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Fuuuuck I really want to get Millenium Blades but I'm not sure about the art/theme (the concept is 100% solid but man that's a lot of anime)
It's a mixture of anime and magic the gatheric jokes (there's a card called 'Chase: The Price Sculptor' so if you are not down with both...

Also the characters you play are basically characters in yu-gi-oh, it owns

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Other than I think 6 cards, I think that there isn't really any fan service in the game. If you don't like the chibi art style, I can't really fault you for that. As someone who is vehemently opposed to fanservice, I don't remember seeing anything objectionable other than one character's pro promos. I could be missing something since I am not intimate with the game. The references are heavily influenced by comics, video games, and anime.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Shadow225 posted:

Other than I think 6 cards, I think that there isn't really any fan service in the game. If you don't like the chibi art style, I can't really fault you for that. As someone who is vehemently opposed to fanservice, I don't remember seeing anything objectionable other than one character's pro promos. I could be missing something since I am not intimate with the game. The references are heavily influenced by comics, video games, and anime.
I better goddamn hope you aren't being intimate with the game :gonk:

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

jmzero posted:

So after my first solo game I must say that I quite liked it.

Setup, tear down and playing the game took me about 1 1/2 hours but the game should be faster and smoother from now on.

Finished the game with 102 points. I made my biggest mistakes in the mining phase. During setup I just placed my meeples and the npc meeples without much thought and that led to a game with rather tight resources. With more planing I would have had much more to work with and would have finished more quests.

Money is also really tight in the normal game and I followed the developers advice and took starting wealth cards with lots of money on them.

The rules are quite simple and the flow is good cause every phase within a round has not that many options. But you have to plan ahead to tie all three phases together.

Really looking forward to a multiplayer game and trying out an epic solo game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Tekopo posted:

It's a mixture of anime and magic the gatheric jokes (there's a card called 'Chase: The Price Sculptor' so if you are not down with both...

Also the characters you play are basically characters in yu-gi-oh, it owns

Yeah my group is all actively anti-anime or neutral but MB is pretty innocuous. Conversely, none of them will play Tragdey Looper.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's really well done parody and there's something for everyone. Even if you're "anti-anime" (lol) there's something for the Final Fantasy fan, MtG, Gundam, sentai, Harry Potter/young adult lit, Street Fighter/Guilty Gear, video games in general... if you are casually affiliated with popular nerd culture then there's something to laugh at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

My friend got millennium blades and while he says there's a lot of anime, I'm beginning to fear there isn't enough.