Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I've had "Ultrasone DJ 1 pro" for almost 10 years and they're fine. :synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Rekordbox question, but I think I already know the answer: When syncing playlists to a device, will the software remove tracks from the device that are no longer in the playlist? I have small lists of my most recently-added music that I delete the oldest stuff from periodically - when I plug in a USB stick and sync these playlists, will it remove the deleted items? I'm guessing "no," that it might remove them from the playlist but they're still on the device taking up space - is this correct?

What a pain in the rear end.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I've had "Ultrasone DJ 1 pro" for almost 10 years and they're fine. :synpa:

I've had my finger on the buy button for a pair of these for a long time. Sounds like I should just do it...

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Like magic, "DeoxIt Fader Spray" appears to have taken care of my bleeding issue on channel faders, and crossfader. Such a relief!

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

mitztronic posted:

I've had my finger on the buy button for a pair of these for a long time. Sounds like I should just do it...

DO IT

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Alfajor posted:

Like magic, "DeoxIt Fader Spray" appears to have taken care of my bleeding issue on channel faders, and crossfader. Such a relief!

Moving to vca faders was such an amazing thing.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
I don't know that I can easily replace the faders on a DDJ-SR, but that's why I'm glad the spray worked, now I don't even have to try and find out :)

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
*Googles DDJ-SR*

Those loving things don't have voltage controlled faders? What loving year is it.

This is like companies that are still shipping non-waterproof phones in 2017. I'm amazed they even managed to make a controller that routes analog audio through the faders.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Hey I literally got my DDJ-SR today

revmoo posted:

*Googles DDJ-SR*

Those loving things don't have voltage controlled faders? What loving year is it.

Yes this thing is not great. Faders ain't butter! I got it because tired of hauling my Rane + turntables to wedding gigs.

As for what year is it, I'm pretty sure these things came out in 2014.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Headphones? In-ears are like next level for mixing, I honestly don't know why people put up with lovely on-ear headphones like the HD-25s... If I'm mixing myself it's in-ears, if I'm playing with friends then DT770s as even the closed cups on those cut out a fair whack of noise meaning you don't have to deafen yourself to hear your cues.

XDJ-1000s are a good bang for buck. iirc they don't have tension control on the jog wheels but otherwise the touch screens are responsive like an iphone, the regular controls work as you'd expect and they show waveforms. It fits the bill and has most of the poo poo you want on it without being 2k a pop.

Alfajor posted:

the life blood of my xone mixer is deoxit spray.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Hey guys. I was going to purchase the Ultrasone DJ 1 Pro's on Amazon but noticed that they are priced at 179.99. On the manufacturers site, they are 230. They appear to be the same model but that is a huge difference and made me question if they were the same.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Mister Speaker posted:

Don't be this guy.

Don't be Rob Swire.

Minimising damage to your hearing is a bad thing now? :crossarms:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

MrSargent posted:

Hey guys. I was going to purchase the Ultrasone DJ 1 Pro's on Amazon but noticed that they are priced at 179.99. On the manufacturers site, they are 230. They appear to be the same model but that is a huge difference and made me question if they were the same.

Sorry to bump, but does anyone have any thoughts on this? I want to order the headphones today so they arrive before I go out of town if possible.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

MrSargent posted:

Sorry to bump, but does anyone have any thoughts on this? I want to order the headphones today so they arrive before I go out of town if possible.

Approved, proceed with order.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

MrSargent posted:

DJ equipment has ridiculous MSRPs. Really that goes for all musical equipment.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

MrSargent posted:

Ultrasone has been decreasing their prices over the last few years from the MSRPs. Maybe even longer but IDK. I know when I picked up my other pair, the price was fluctuating from week to week. They were sitting my cart for a while before I pulled the trigger so I got updates pretty often.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Thanks for all of the responses guys! Pulled the trigger and looking forward to replacing these lovely XONE headphones that my roommate gave me for free when he moved out.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

One of the best DJs I've ever met uses lovely skullcandy headphones. Just saying.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I didn't mean to imply that headphones were holding me back or anything, those XONEs are just uncomfortable as all hell. Literally feels like hard, uneven plastic covering my ear.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

One of the best DJs I've ever met uses lovely skullcandy headphones. Just saying.

Ok, but that doesn't make them good headphones. Skullcandy is notorious for having garbage build quality.

Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead with neon green / pink fur / zebra print / whatever their flavor of the month is headphones, regardless of sound quality, price, or build.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

hd25 aluminum is forever.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

I've mentioned before, I use 10$ earbuds with one side clipped off. Been doing it for years. Used to have Sony MDRs and much prefer it this way.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

mitztronic posted:

Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead with neon green / pink fur / zebra print / whatever their flavor of the month is headphones, regardless of sound quality, price, or build.

I totally get that "the look" is an important part of being a DJ when you're trying to sell yourself as an entertainer and not just doing radio, but I actually kind of like the gaudy lovely headphone look. Feels more ravey imho. Also nobody is going to steal them.

I love my ultrasones but when they die I'm gonna replace them with something I can buy at a Wallgreens.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

What are the most important songs of the last 5 years that I should buy on beatport?

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

What are the most important songs of the last 5 years that I should buy on beatport?
animals by martin garrix

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

skull mask mcgee posted:

animals by martin garrix

And any of his other songs that sound almost exactly like Animals.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Jack U - Where Are U Now ft Justin Bieber

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

skull mask mcgee posted:

animals by martin garrix

is this the new sandstorm

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Olympic Mathlete posted:

And any of his other songs that sound almost exactly like Animals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71HQt7KZEtY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ra6_8WilqE

(there are a lot of these, they go on and on)

is this the new sandstorm

Sandstorm is actually a good song, IMO, Obviously it's overplayed and it's difficult to listen to, but it's hard to deny that it was pretty iconic trance at the time. And it's not like any other song Darude came out was like sandstorm.

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 12, 2017

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

mitztronic posted:

Sandstorm is actually a good song, IMO, Obviously it's overplayed and it's difficult to listen to, but it's hard to deny that it was pretty iconic trance at the time. And it's not like any other song Darude came out was like sandstorm.

Trance revival when
https://www.redeyerecords.co.uk/vinyl/83396-tw-2-trance-wax-trance-wax-two

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

keevo posted:

Sign up with a record pool that has that. Clubkillers has basically all of the current hits and a pretty deep collection of older hits. It's kind of expensive though. BPM supreme is slightly cheaper but I can't remember how good their collection of older songs is.

Quote from way back but how does this work? Is is some kind of service that has a "buy poo poo in bulk" agreement with the publishers or is it slightly more legit (better quality) than just youtube to mp3 or something?

I must've spent a small fortune on Google Music with my last gig. Sometimes ordering the maxi or album on Discogs marketplace was even cheaper.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

The idea is that back then, record pools would send out vinyl records of whatever song they'd push to DJs hoping that these DJs would play their poo poo at the club or whatever. That same idea applies today except instead of vinyl it's in the form of an MP3. Some record pools aren't all that legit and just get their music from YouTube or will literally take the music from the big record pools and upload them to their own.
The big ones like DJ City, Clubkillers, BPM Supreme, Direct Music Service, and Headliner Club Music will all have quality stuff (320 Kbps) that may be from the label themselves. Some of them like CK and BPM will let you spend however much a subscription is and let you have unlimited downloads while others will have a credit system of like 30 downloads a month.

It's technically a grey area because they're distributing copyrighted material but labels don't really care because it's free promotion for them. Also no one is going to check where you get your poo poo from as long as it doesn't sound like it's from YouTube or SoundCloud.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

keevo posted:

The idea is that back then, record pools would send out vinyl records of whatever song they'd push to DJs hoping that these DJs would play their poo poo at the club or whatever. That same idea applies today except instead of vinyl it's in the form of an MP3. Some record pools aren't all that legit and just get their music from YouTube or will literally take the music from the big record pools and upload them to their own.
The big ones like DJ City, Clubkillers, BPM Supreme, Direct Music Service, and Headliner Club Music will all have quality stuff (320 Kbps) that may be from the label themselves. Some of them like CK and BPM will let you spend however much a subscription is and let you have unlimited downloads while others will have a credit system of like 30 downloads a month.

It's technically a grey area because they're distributing copyrighted material but labels don't really care because it's free promotion for them. Also no one is going to check where you get your poo poo from as long as it doesn't sound like it's from YouTube or SoundCloud.

What kind of prices are we talking? I googled club killers and it just directed me to a signup page.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

BPM is $20, Headliner and DJ City are $30 (Dj city makes you do a 3 month payment so it's $90 every 3 months). Idk how much CK is now but I'm paying $90 every 3 months. You just gotta make an account first and then they'll send you a price list. DMS should have a pricing page as well.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

i ordered a stanton str8-80 turntable off ebay to match the one i already have & replace my (regretfully purchased) str8-30 and the seller hosed up and sent me a str8-60 :I

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Are there any *good* house remixes of Shape of You? Also I feel like this would be a great ukg track.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Anybody made the switch from Serato to Traktor? My beloved VCI-300 is starting to fall apart at the seams, and I've got my eye on a Kontrol S4 mk2 (a month or two from now, when I have money). Four channels, performance pads, FX sends, all for way less than what I paid for the Vestax back in the day seems pretty great to me. I was tempted to future-proof myself with an S5, but there's basically no stems coming out in my genres of choice (DnB and hardcore), so I'm thinking to stick with the jogwheels. I'm open to arguments to the contrary if I'd really be missing out. I figure though I can add in an F1 later on if I want to get into stems/remix decks.

Anybody had any issues with the S4 or with Traktor Pro 2 coming from Serato? If so, what's a good alternative around the same price range?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

For what it's worth, my buddy who has been DJing for 10+ years told me that Serato and Traktor are similar enough that transitioning wasn't really an issue. You would just have to redo all of your cues and loops I believe.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Also, I got my DJ1 Pro's over the weekend and they are amazing. Not only is the sound quality so much better but they are actually comfortable on my head, a far cry from the Xones I was using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

MrSargent posted:

For what it's worth, my buddy who has been DJing for 10+ years told me that Serato and Traktor are similar enough that transitioning wasn't really an issue. You would just have to redo all of your cues and loops I believe.

There's software to automate this, Rekord Buddy if you're on a Mac, I think there's similar Windows software floating around. If you don't have many cue points and stuff it might not be worth $60 though.