Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Boxman posted:

That rule seems stupid (what's the difference between extra cards in the deck box and extra cards in your pack?) but I'm glad to know about it! Thanks!

It's so you can't try to cheat with a 90 card sideboard and play it off as "lol whoops that was just an unrelated deck".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah, there's clearly a good intent for the rule. The problem and funny thing that was called out were pros who deliberately wanted to abuse the rule to get free wins.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

It's interesting which rules come with which default assumptions about intent. Show up to a multi-format tournament with two decks with different-colored sleeves, but didn't read the fine print about approved storage methods? Definitely intent to cheat there, game loss. Forgetting negative triggers, casting cards when you don't have quite the right colors available, letting your own permanents survive wrath effects, and otherwise playing sloppily with the rules in ways that somehow by sheer chance are always strictly beneficial to you? Just an honest mistake every single time, no penalty.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lottery of Babylon posted:

It's interesting which rules come with which default assumptions about intent. Show up to a multi-format tournament with two decks with different-colored sleeves, but didn't read the fine print about approved storage methods? Definitely intent to cheat there, game loss. Forgetting negative triggers, casting cards when you don't have quite the right colors available, letting your own permanents survive wrath effects, and otherwise playing sloppily with the rules in ways that somehow by sheer chance are always strictly beneficial to you? Just an honest mistake every single time, no penalty.

The "proving malice" line of questioning intent was always pretty wonky. The x-wing community is rightly up in arms because some cheater only got a game loss for cheating on camera at the highest level of play this past weekend while the same infraction happening elsewhere got 5-year or permanent bans.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Chill la Chill posted:

The "proving malice" line of questioning intent was always pretty wonky. The x-wing community is rightly up in arms because some cheater only got a game loss for cheating on camera at the highest level of play this past weekend while the same infraction happening elsewhere got 5-year or permanent bans.

Proving intent as far as cheating is concerned is one of the weakest parts of competitive magic. In the attempt to make the game smoother and bring on less feel bad moments, judging decisions has made cheating a little easier over time.

Lets see if we can list all the free ev "mistakes" you can do in your favor that you can use at any pptq.

1. Sneak an extra land a turn every once in a while.
2. Playing tapped lands untapped.
3. Playing cards without having the correct mana.
4. Giving a creature haste that doesn't have haste.
5. Forgetting to exile a card.
6. Not taking damage from your lands that do that.
(probably a ton more)

Do any of the above to a weak opponent and often they probably won't notice, eve less so if you use a little misdirection Even picking up the pace of play beyond what their comfort zone is does the trick. If they do notice, rarely are these mistakes even reported to a judge they are just "corrected" if you are pleasant to your opponent.

Get a warning? Welp, lay off until the next event as there is a good chance the warning isn't even documented.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Sickening posted:

Get a warning? Welp, lay off until the next event as there is a good chance the warning isn't even documented.

Didn't one cheater always ask for the warning to be downgraded so he could keep the poo poo up until he got an actual warning?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

keratinous scutes posted:

Didn't one cheater always ask for the warning to be downgraded so he could keep the poo poo up until he got an actual warning?

He asked for the warnings to be downgraded to cautions because if you accumulate a bunch of warnings over several tournaments you get investigated even if you never accumulate enough warnings in one tournament to get an escalated punishment.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 10, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

keratinous scutes posted:

Yep, alex had this on autopilot.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Proving intent has nothing to do with game losses. If you purposefully infringe the rules that's pretty much a dq without prize on the spot.

These rules, as they exist, are mostly there to discourage any nonsense like this happening accidentally. And the rules now are way way softer than the used to be. I used to judge in the early 2000s and some of the stuff back then was downright draconic compared to what it's like now.

I'm phone posting now but if anyone cares I have some stories about how we forced a guy to play a 107 card sealed deck, amongst other things.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
Most things are just play mistakes. Youre not there to be judge dredd. Not every body is MODO incarnate.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Lone Goat posted:

Proving intent has nothing to do with game losses. If you purposefully infringe the rules that's pretty much a dq without prize on the spot.

It's also not necessary. This isn't a court of law, it's a children's card game. A judge can DQ someone without proving anything.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

mailorder bees! posted:

Most things are just play mistakes. Youre not there to be judge dredd. Not every body is MODO incarnate.

Agreed but once you get to PTQ/GP level tournaments it shouldn't be unreasonable to expect players to know what the cards in their deck do, know the rules, comply with tournament rules, etc.

e:

If I accidentally play a second land at a GP it shouldn't be on my opponent to recognize it before play continues too far and they lose the chance to undo the problem.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 10, 2017

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

ThePeavstenator posted:

Agreed but once you get to PTQ/GP level tournaments it shouldn't be unreasonable to expect players to know what the cards in their deck do, know the rules, comply with tournament rules, etc.

and thats what the ipg is for.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

e:

If I accidentally play a second land at a GP it shouldn't be on my opponent to recognize it before play continues too far and they lose the chance to undo the problem.

That is the biggest pet peeve of mine. Its your turn 6 and you have 8 lands in play. Welp, I guess there is nothing we can do. Opponents fault he missed you sneaking them in or put faith in you playing one land a turn, nothing can be done to fix it.

Yes, there is plenty that can't be undone. There is however more that can be done in comp rel for these "oopsies".

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
what happens in your game is YOUR responsibility.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mailorder bees! posted:

This isn't exactly true if someone else is control over the penalties. I get where you are attempting to go with this great post of yours, but this issue isn't black and white.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
Extra land? Thats a dq. Drew a card? Dq. Played a bad deck? Dq

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mailorder bees! posted:

Extra land? Thats a dq. Drew a card? Dq. Played a bad deck? Dq

I think there is somewhere in the middle that might also work.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

Sickening posted:

This isn't exactly true if someone else is control over the penalties. I get where you are attempting to go with this great post of yours, but this issue isn't black and white.

most players arent nearly so whiny about it

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

In the words of 'Big' John McCarthy, "protect yourself at all times".

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ThePeavstenator posted:

Sometimes people just flat out make silly mistakes because Magic is a complicated game with a lot of moving parts. Back when RTR was newest set, I played a sealed event with this sweet 4 color deck. I cast a Knightly Valor on turn 6, leaving only my Selesnya Guildgate untapped. That would be all well and good, except that Guildgate was my only source of white mana. I had no 1 mana white tricks in my hand(hell, I don't even remember if there were any in the set), I just wanted to leave up as many possibilities as possible. I actually called the judge on myself(because I didn't notice until his turn) in this case and it was a store level event so there were no real consequences, but imagine if instead it was a PTQ and my opponent who noticed on his turn. I would be pretty unhappy if I got DQed or game lossed for something like that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Elyv posted:

Sometimes people just flat out make silly mistakes because Magic is a complicated game with a lot of moving parts. Back when RTR was newest set, I played a sealed event with this sweet 4 color deck. I cast a Knightly Valor on turn 6, leaving only my Selesnya Guildgate untapped. That would be all well and good, except that Guildgate was my only source of white mana. I had no 1 mana white tricks in my hand(hell, I don't even remember if there were any in the set), I just wanted to leave up as many possibilities as possible. I actually called the judge on myself(because I didn't notice until his turn) in this case and it was a store level event so there were no real consequences, but imagine if instead it was a PTQ and my opponent who noticed on his turn. I would be pretty unhappy if I got DQed or game lossed for something like that.

Well first off, at a PTQ your mistake would have led to a huge advantage for yourself. Maybe a DQ isn't reasonable, but neither is "Well your opponent didn't babysit your lands for you, nothing can be done." There should be a fast, easy way to resolve this kind of mistake at a penalty to you. Something to discourage sloppy play while it also not being an automatic game lose/dq. Things like this already exist for drawing extra cards and such, it can be expanded.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Elyv posted:

I'm not calling for immediate DQs or game losses. I just think that that intent is less important at a high level and that mistakes I make in my favor shouldn't be too late to undo and/or not incur a penalty just because my opponent doesn't notice in time. At FNM, Gameday, Prerelease, or any casual event yeah, be super lenient. I've even let opponents rewind entire turns because they made a mistake due to a misconception with how the rules or a card worked.

I'm saying this from the POV of a guy who referees sports. The best parallel I can think of is in soccer where 8-year-olds are just learning how to do proper throw-ins. If they do it illegally, I'll explain the rule to them, and then if they still mess it up a second time in a row, they forfeit the throw-in to the other team like the rules say. Was the kid trying to get an edge? No, he was just trying to throw the ball hard and it's natural to lift your foot up. But there's another group of 8-year-olds on the other team that are also expected to perform the same actions correctly, and after getting called on it a few times they learn to make the mistake less and do proper legal throw-ins.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
You get lightning bolted and milled for 9.

Wait that'd encourage misplays by deaths shadow and dredge pilots

A tough nut to be sure!

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

It's very funny how the thread went from "some pro are abusing rules to make their opponents lose" to "rules should be more severe and punishing" (so pro can abuse them to make people lose)!

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

YggdrasilTM posted:

It's very funny how the thread went from "some pro are abusing rules to make their opponents lose" to "rules should be more severe and punishing" (so pro can abuse them to make people lose)!

Its incredibly good

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mailorder bees! posted:

This is such a dumb game I'm not sure why any of us play it.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

YggdrasilTM posted:

No it's more like "pros know the right codewords for saying they didn't intend to cheat to avoid getting punished".

Like when some rando tournament player gets paired against a pro for the first time it shouldn't be on that player who probably is already nervous as hell to referee their opponent. Again, EE not destroying your own top: "Well you didn't notice your opponent cheated made a mistake in their favor in time, too bad!" is clearly not a fair outcome.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

ThePeavstenator posted:

No it's more like "pros know the right codewords for saying they didn't intend to cheat to avoid getting punished".

Like when some rando tournament player gets paired against a pro for the first time it shouldn't be on that player who probably is already nervous as hell to referee their opponent. Again, EE not destroying your own top: "Well you didn't notice your opponent cheated made a mistake in their favor in time, too bad!" is clearly not a fair outcome.

The problem is that if you punish actions like these, you are encouraging the opponent that notice them to report them only after some time, when they cannot be rewind.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I don't even know why they banned Alex Bertoncini. If his opponents didn't want to get cheated, they should have paid more attention. It's their responsibility since, after all, it's their game.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

YggdrasilTM posted:

The problem is that if you punish actions like these, you are encouraging the opponent that notice them to report them only after some time, when they cannot be rewind.

Pick one, the person performing the "mistake" having the downside or the opponent "missing" it. I feel like the one making the mistake seems the most fair.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hellsau posted:

I don't even know why they banned Alex Bertoncini. If his opponents didn't want to get cheated, they should have paid more attention. It's their responsibility since, after all, it's their game.

Simple solution: play your opponent's deck.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I did some research on my original question of extra cards in your deckbox and found this discussion: https://blogs.magicjudges.org/rules/ipg3-5/

So, if you present your deck with your sideboard also and point out everything left in your box is not in your sideboard you are ok. Probably best not to push it though.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I keep a Russian foil Colossal Whale in all my deckboxes. Will I get DQed at FNM y/n

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I just have a note in mine that says "Owen is a turd". Is that fine?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I did some research on my original question of extra cards in your deckbox and found this discussion: https://blogs.magicjudges.org/rules/ipg3-5/

So, if you present your deck with your sideboard also and point out everything left in your box is not in your sideboard you are ok. Probably best not to push it though.

quote:

Cards in different sleeves, tokens, and double-faced cards for which checklists are being used are ignored when determining deck (not sideboard) legality.

I don't know if this is supposed to be an example of where you don't get a game loss, but I definitely got a game loss for this at gp chicago for a card that.

1. Was in a different sleeve
2. Was not even castable in the decks colors (wasn't rw)
3. Was not legal in the format (zendikar in theros block standard)
4. Was being used to separate the maindeck and sideboard because I didn't have anywhere else to keep the card in my bag.

Like idgaf about my record or anything, and I was really only there as a driver anyways. To be safe, do not have anything in your deckbox that is not listed on your decklist

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

What happens if I sneak a Cheatyface into play? Is that a deck error or a GRV?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

suicidesteve posted:

I keep a Russian foil Colossal Whale in all my deckboxes. Will I get DQed at FNM y/n

Just keep your picture of your girlfriend in your wallet like everyone else.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

suicidesteve posted:

instant dq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

suicidesteve posted:

your dick doubles in size