Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

zen death robot posted:

Hell I can make an account and just have it be probated
Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Got a couple PMs and there's a post or two in here about TestFlight betas. I've just submitted a new beta for app review, and they recently changed some stuff in TestFlight, so hopefully the next beta unclogs the tubes. I expect it to get through review in around 24 hours.

Mad Wack posted:

feature request: haptics all over the app - esp a nice "chunk" kick from the haptic engine when i pull for the next page of posts

Yes that would be quite pleasing. On to the list!

IllegallySober posted:

Twice today I have replied to a thread only to be dumped back at the top of the page like I'd edited a post and my post has disappeared into thin air :confused:

I'm on the latest released version.

I have no idea what's up with that. Wonder if there's some error state we failed to check, so we sail right through to "let me show you your new post" without actually throwing an error?

Vintersorg posted:

What's up with these enormous black boxes over text?

I'm guessing you're on the verge of the app terminating due to lack of memory. Thread with big images?

BrianBoitano posted:

I read the OP and didn't see this there. I was probated for a day and the error I got when trying to post on the app seemed more like a connection error than anything. I had to check if my cell data for the awful app was on, then I considered restarting my phone. I actually didn't figure out that I was probated until I noticed on my computer.

You probably don't need to design new things to serve probated jerks, so do with this feedback what you will.

Yeah this is on the list, probably has been for years at this point. In fact I think I have some saved .html from someone who was probated in like 2014 and I was gonna use it to scrape the "u r probated u bad boy" bits and I just haven't gotten around to it because I'm a good boy :angel: but lemme +1 this for ya on the list!

Snowy posted:

This is a fairly minor thing that's been going on for a while- when I'm scrolling down through the list of threads in a forum and i get to the point where it has to load more the list will jump up when the additional threads are loaded. Then I have to scroll up a little to see what I missed before scrolling down the list again.

Hope that made sense.

I'm on an updated 6 plus with the latest test flight version.

Yep makes total sense, sorry about that. It's also possible that a thread got moved around, e.g. it was a the bottom of "page 1" when you first reloaded, and by the time you scroll down to load more it's near the top of "page 2". Or vice versa. Basically threads can move around and it might appear that you've lost your place when it's really just a thread or two moving.

I mention this not to tell you you're wrong, as I absolutely believe you that the load more is jumpy and lovely, but it's something else to look out for.

Cheap Trick posted:

If I tap on an arrow to view sub-forums under any forum, the app crashes.

Awful 3.22
iOS 10.3.1 on iPad

Sorry about that. I'll have a looksee.

baram. posted:

nice new thread tags 😍

Yeah I'm pretty happy with the janky automatic thread tag updater thinger! Just sits there quietly not loving up like all the other things I've touched in this app :)

Tabemono
Oct 24, 2004
my tummy is empty
Is there a way to access archived threads in Awful that I'm missing? I have archives and I can pull archived threads up on the web just fine, but since you can't bookmark them I'm not seeing a way to load them in the app. If that isn't a currently supported feature... consider this a feature request? Your app is cool.

(Also I don't have platinum so if getting that would magically make this work please let me know)

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

if you copy a thread url from the browser and open up the app it'll ask if you want to open the thread from your clipboard. it may work with archives?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

baram. posted:

if you copy a thread url from the browser and open up the app it'll ask if you want to open the thread from your clipboard. it may work with archives?

I can confirm this has worked for me with archives :)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

pokeyman posted:

I have no idea what's up with that. Wonder if there's some error state we failed to check, so we sail right through to "let me show you your new post" without actually throwing an error?

Yeah, I'm guessing this. Is there a timeout error when replying to a thread multiple times in a short period of time or when lots of people are replying to a thread and maybe the app can't figure out where the post should be?

When it's happened to me it's been posting to rapidly-moving threads.

Tabemono
Oct 24, 2004
my tummy is empty

baram. posted:

That totally does work, and you can even bookmark it from there. Thanks to the both of ya.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

weird poo poo happening with the bookmarks tab again. only loads five or six threads and then just scrolls past blank spaces. some threads show up twice. sometimes tapping a thread will instead open a different thread. restarting the app usually fixes it breifly before it does it again.

iphone 5, ios 10.3.1

e: screenshots
https://imgur.com/a/944mG

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 19, 2017

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

OMGVBFLOL posted:

weird poo poo happening with the bookmarks tab again. only loads five or six threads and then just scrolls past blank spaces. some threads show up twice. sometimes tapping a thread will instead open a different thread. restarting the app usually fixes it breifly before it does it again.

iphone 5, ios 10.3.1

Found the problem.

But seriously, probably a memory issue with a phone that old.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

if a couple dozen lines of text and some small images is causing memory issues in anything newer than an apple IIe it's not really a hardware issue

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Are you reading threads with Twitter embeds?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

I don't think so. I don't notice many twitter embeds. I do have youtube embeds turned off because a few too many grinds things to a standstill. They only seemed to affect loading that individual thread, though it's been a while since I turned them off.

This has occasionally happened before, but never with the regularity with which it started happening recently, which is why I thought it might be more than just normal bloat.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Now it seems to have stopped again.

:tinfoil:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

IllegallySober posted:

Yeah, I'm guessing this. Is there a timeout error when replying to a thread multiple times in a short period of time or when lots of people are replying to a thread and maybe the app can't figure out where the post should be?

When it's happened to me it's been posting to rapidly-moving threads.

There is some kind of post throttling time limit thing, and I bet Awful doesn't handle it very well. I'll add it to the list.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

iphone 5, ios 10.3.1

e: screenshots
https://imgur.com/a/944mG

Umm that's hosed up. Sorry about that! I'll add it to the list.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The awful browser seems to have stopped working, I just get a white screen from any link. Safari works but I like my Awful :corrupt:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Snowy posted:

The awful browser seems to have stopped working, I just get a white screen from any link. Safari works but I like my Awful :corrupt:

When this has happened to me, closing the browser and tapping the link again has worked when it re-loaded it the second time.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Yeah, usually a retry or two works. It's on the list, and it actually affects me regularly so there's a higher than usual chance of it getting fixed, but for now just give er another go.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i finally got the error where blackness was taking over and blocking content. i'm guessing it's a memory thing because after trying to load a couple threads and it happening the app crashed.

iphone 7 10.3.1
awful 3.22

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

IllegallySober posted:

When this has happened to me, closing the browser and tapping the link again has worked when it re-loaded it the second time.

pokeyman posted:

Yeah, usually a retry or two works. It's on the list, and it actually affects me regularly so there's a higher than usual chance of it getting fixed, but for now just give er another go.

I've been trying this repeatedly with no success so I guess it's safari for me for the time being but thanks for the always helpful advice and great app :wooper:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I'm using the latest beta on iOS 10.3.1 on an iPhone 7 plus. I'm getting a strange bug where when I tap on a thread in the list it opens a different thread. When I force close the app and go back in it's fine for a while, but an hour later it comes back.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

GutBomb posted:

I'm using the latest beta on iOS 10.3.1 on an iPhone 7 plus. I'm getting a strange bug where when I tap on a thread in the list it opens a different thread. When I force close the app and go back in it's fine for a while, but an hour later it comes back.

I'm on the current App Store version and I get that from time to time. Can't reproduce it at all, and a force close and restart fixes it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
E: wrong thread !

The app is OK. C spam crashes it from time to time. Keep up the good work. :)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

baram. posted:

i finally got the error where blackness was taking over and blocking content. i'm guessing it's a memory thing because after trying to load a couple threads and it happening the app crashed.

iphone 7 10.3.1
awful 3.22

Memory pressure is the leading theory, and this is another anecdote towards confirming that!

GutBomb posted:

I think I screwed something up a long time ago in thread lists and I've yet to track it down exactly. If a force quit doesn't fix it, a log out and back in might. Or a delete and reinstall. Annoying, I know; someday I'll find the actual problem.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
can you wonderful devs add a toggle for the sidebar in an easier spot on the 7 plus landscape view? i had my team throw together a mock-up

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Just updated to the latest AppStore version, trying to open collapsed subforum lists immediately crashes the app

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

jivjov posted:

Just updated to the latest AppStore version, trying to open collapsed subforum lists immediately crashes the app

I can't reproduce this on my iPad Air.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Lemme just delete and reinstall and see if that fixes it

Edit: yep; that fixed it. Note to self: do this every time, before whining in thread

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

jivjov posted:

Lemme just delete and reinstall and see if that fixes it

Edit: yep; that fixed it. Note to self: do this every time, before whining in thread

No, you're fine to come in, we need to know that these things are happening. Whether we can solve them before the heat death of the forums, however....

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

carry on then posted:

No, you're fine to come in, we need to know that these things are happening. Whether we can solve them before the heat death of the forums, however....

I'm actually having the same issues. I'll see if delete and reinstall works on my end.

Edit: It worked!

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Started having this happen tonight, on latest version of the app and on iOS 10.3.1. Whole segments of posts will load and then just vanish inline, but the space the post occupies stays the same.

Edit: okay, other apps are starting to gently caress up too. Has to be my phone.

Edit 2: Hard reset seems to have solved the issue for now. Disregard.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 5, 2017

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Variable_H posted:

Started having this happen tonight, on latest version of the app and on iOS 10.3.1. Whole segments of posts will load and then just vanish inline, but the space the post occupies stays the same.

Edit: okay, other apps are starting to gently caress up too. Has to be my phone.

I've had that happen too from time to time. Closing out the app seems to fix it.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Mines been doing that since forever. Hard closing the app is the only solution.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Whenever that happens I clear my cache and then force close the app, kinda seems like when my other apps have hard times displaying web pages because my memory is getting filled

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

pokeyman posted:

There is some kind of post throttling time limit thing, and I bet Awful doesn't handle it very well. I'll add it to the list.

Pretty sure this is correct and the only reason people are noticing it more and more recently is because of some weird fuckshit with the server clocks happening lately. It's supposed to be a 10 second limit in between posts but sometimes it'll arbitrarily reject a post when it's been more like 60 seconds since your last. I don't think that's a problem on the Awful app's end but it would be nice if it held onto your post and it didn't just disappear into the void

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Variable_H posted:

app has been trash lately. It does this frequently, will not load any link (just opens up an empty webbrowser like tab) and as of today is randomly having half the screen be replaced by a grey box whenever I scroll incorrectly

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I have no problems with the app.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Thwomp posted:

I have no problems with the app.

The box thing might of been on my end and was fixed by a reset but I still can't open any links and and get that posts randomly getting huge blank gaps in them until a reset thing. This is on iOS

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Variable_H posted:

Same. It gets worse and worse until it crashes, but force-quitting the app and starting it again fixes the problem.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Is there a possibility of doing an [img] paste option that pastes the url and adds the [img] tags around it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

The_Doctor posted:

Is there a possibility of doing an [img] paste option that pastes the url and adds the [img] tags around it?
This but for video links and [video] tags.

You know how, in the regular SA, through a browser, you can ctrl+v paste a Youtube link and SA autotags it? That needs to be a thing that happens in Awful, too.

Related to that, it'd be good to auto-convert shortened YT URLs copied from the YT app (ex: https://youtu.be/YbhBuXb9wWo) into full URLs (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbhBuXb9wWo) until Radium makes the tags work with shortened URLs.

• Locked thread