Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Getting groups as an enchanter really shouldn't be hard.

In fairness, I really didn't look that hard. I shouldn't have used the word tedious, I was just frustrated with my solo efforts, after not finding a group right away. I think I need to take a step back and remember I'm playing EQ and many things are going to be slower going. I actually think that's a better pace for me right now. I just want to make some progress, rather than regressing.

shirunei posted:

Charming sucks till a little later. All the blue con mob levels at 12 are way too close to your own. Use an animation till 16.

Ok that makes sense. Anyone have any spots for soloing at this level?

Also, if anyone has any group tips, what I should be doing, should not be doing that would be appreciated as well. The few times I've grouped up (orc hill) I just DD with the occasional mez if we got an add. I'm still a little nervous on messing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Essential posted:

In fairness, I really didn't look that hard. I shouldn't have used the word tedious, I was just frustrated with my solo efforts, after not finding a group right away. I think I need to take a step back and remember I'm playing EQ and many things are going to be slower going. I actually think that's a better pace for me right now. I just want to make some progress, rather than regressing.

Yeah for sure. The thing about Everquest is its really really more about the journey than the destination. If you're trying to race to high level, you are going to have a bad time. This isn't WoW where everybody's max level and the fun stuff starts at endgame. The actual day-to-day bumbling around is what EQ is all about. Enjoy the levels as they come and go. Only way to stay sane since its sooooo slow :cheeky:

But seriously, once you find some good groups... as much as you do it to get levels, you almost just wanna hang around with the same people and chill. That's EQ. But luckily the same people will level with you, so even if you out-level an area, you'll probably run into the same group in the next major dungeon :)

Essential posted:

Ok that makes sense. Anyone have any spots for soloing at this level?

Also, if anyone has any group tips, what I should be doing, should not be doing that would be appreciated as well. The few times I've grouped up (orc hill) I just DD with the occasional mez if we got an add. I'm still a little nervous on messing up.

Do a /who <number> where number is your level, maybe make it a range of plus or minus 1/2 of your level. So like /who all 12 or /who all 10-14 and then look at what zone most people are in.

Then go to said zone, and start doing some /ooc level 12 enchanter looking for group! messages and such

Or to save time, send some tells to people in the zone ahead of time, "full group?" and see if they have an opening. Then you can reserve a spot before you do the travel.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Per-Level_Hunting_Guide

https://wiki.project1999.com/Spaid%27s_Solo_Guide

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah for sure. The thing about Everquest is its really really more about the journey than the destination. If you're trying to race to high level, you are going to have a bad time. This isn't WoW where everybody's max level and the fun stuff starts at endgame. The actual day-to-day bumbling around is what EQ is all about. Enjoy the levels as they come and go. Only way to stay sane since its sooooo slow :cheeky:

But seriously, once you find some good groups... as much as you do it to get levels, you almost just wanna hang around with the same people and chill. That's EQ. But luckily the same people will level with you, so even if you out-level an area, you'll probably run into the same group in the next major dungeon :)

Do a /who <number> where number is your level, maybe make it a range of plus or minus 1/2 of your level. So like /who all 12 or /who all 10-14 and then look at what zone most people are in.

Then go to said zone, and start doing some /ooc level 12 enchanter looking for group! messages and such

Or to save time, send some tells to people in the zone ahead of time, "full group?" and see if they have an opening. Then you can reserve a spot before you do the travel.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Per-Level_Hunting_Guide

https://wiki.project1999.com/Spaid%27s_Solo_Guide

Thanks, really good advice! Appreciate your help!

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.
Pretty much what Zaphod said. When I was around there, charm soloing was pretty hard, but not impossible. Still, there are a lot of opportunities if you can make your way to the popular places easily. Oasis and Unrest come to mind, and later you can try your hand at Najena (no one really goes there outside of farming stuff for newbie mage alts). Pretty much you just want to do what you've been doing. It takes a bit to get used to the flow too, and there is a logic gate of responses that you need to get used to, but you'll pick it up in time.

As for groups, pretty much all you'll be good for for a bit is using your pet/extra DD, minor buffs and mezzing. You really don't have much else to do at lower levels. Sometimes, you'll be called on to Lull but that's risky until your levels and charisma get higher. It's not a bad idea to get used to the pucker factor when using that line though as they are invaluable for soling in dungeons later, like Howling Stones. To echo the others too, just have a good time, whatever that means for you. I like the risk of charm soloing and the personal feeling of accomplishment of soloing places that murder groups. There are a lot of chanters in my guild that are awesome groupers and hate soloing. Don't focus too much on getting to 60 and try to enjoy the trip there instead.

Contact Taciturn in game if you want to chat about it. I'm always up for talking about the finer points of enchanter play!

Atreus
Sep 20, 2005
I think I spent a lot of time in WC killing things at that level solo. You can get buffed at the druid rings to make things very easy. Make sure you have a lot of charisma for your charming, and you should be able to mow just about everything down. Get a will-o-wisp pet.

Enchanter is strong and powerful, the most fun time I had was back in my 30's when I was soloing the temple area of the first level of Dalnir.

Atreus
Sep 20, 2005
Additionally, keep your spell skills trained up, and make sure you're working on your actual Enchanter skills. Encs take a lot to stay alive, and you're constantly swapping spell gems, you need to get the hang of that now or you're going to be meat later.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
This might be incredibly obvious but I ran into a guy like this once, so I'm just going to add it to all the good advice given: when people say "get your charisma up", please realise that you don't need 255 charisma at the cost of int or hps, especially while leveling up. I got a tell at one point from a 45 enchanter who was struggling with mezzing and buffing in groups because his int was 115.

Don't be that guy. Most enchanter gear has both int and charisma, and the latter is an incredibly easy stat to get up without spending a ton of money. Just charm run of the mill blue mobs, and tash'm before you charm them, and you should be able to get by on whatever your charisma is in level-appropriate gear.

Essential
Aug 14, 2003
Just wanted to say thanks for the great advice and help everyone! Taciturn I'll definitely hit you up in game one of these days.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Earnest new guys asking for help and getting it is still my favorite thing about P99. poo poo like this makes me want to play again and help goons, but getting (more) sleep and having a happy wife is great too. The only thing stopping me aside from what I jokingly refer to as self control is the fact that there's still a lot of helpful goons around. You guys rule.

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.
Sadly I had a bunch of old enchanter gear that I gave away just before seeing this thread update. The guy that gave it to I caught later with an ishva robe and a wand/stein. I called him out on it as he was naked when I saw him not 10 minutes earlier. He was "extremely lucky begging at the bank" :rolleyes:

Just reminded of that because of the earnest players comment. I love helping people but it really bothered me that that gear could've been used by someone that needed it rather than a guy already twinked out.

Edit: spelling is hard.

Fangthane fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 2, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Its one of the really nice benefits that having most of the gear in the game not be bind-on-pickup gives you. You can have hand-me-downs!

That poo poo just flat isn't possible in WoW or other modern MMOs.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Zaphod42 posted:

Its one of the really nice benefits that having most of the gear in the game not be bind-on-pickup gives you. You can have hand-me-downs!

That poo poo just flat isn't possible in WoW or other modern MMOs.

Well it also wasn't really possible in EQ after Velious (for the most part) either.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Can someone tell me what was so special about what the P99 dudes did with P99? I mean in terms of programming, not nostalgia. They took their own DB maybe the PEQ one and slimmed it down using archives of old EverQuest patch notes, and then what is the anti-boxing thing? The spell files, etc. Does anyone know? I had this idea to spin up a real quick pvp server to pal around with some of my bros on Red and IRL, and while I have no problem setting up the server, and editing the database, it would be nice to know some more stuff.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

lemonslol posted:

Can someone tell me what was so special about what the P99 dudes did with P99? I mean in terms of programming, not nostalgia. They took their own DB maybe the PEQ one and slimmed it down using archives of old EverQuest patch notes, and then what is the anti-boxing thing? The spell files, etc. Does anyone know? I had this idea to spin up a real quick pvp server to pal around with some of my bros on Red and IRL, and while I have no problem setting up the server, and editing the database, it would be nice to know some more stuff.
I'm not that experienced with EQ Emu'ing, but as a developer, it's easy to imagine that the anti-boxing code is something they've written themselves, in the actual server code, not just some entries in the database. Whenever someone logs in, the client sends info to the server, so the server can always tell when two connections from the same IP are online. That's the simple version. To detect if a person is boxing two accounts on multiple IP's (using two computers where one is on a VPN), you'll need to program fuzzy logic that for example tracks if two characters are always in the same zone for long periods of time, frequent trades between two characters, and so on. Shouldn't be that difficult to program, in my opinion, but it'll require programming skills plus understanding of how the EQ Emu server fundamentally works.

I'm sure a lot of the P99 functionality is also programmed, not just database entries. I don't know what the default EQ Emu server supports, but for example, if there's no straight up database setting that toggles pets poofing upon zoning, they'd have to program that specifically in the server. It all depends on whether the server already has a toggle for it. They are also still tied to how the client works in many aspects. This is something some whiners on the P99 forums don't understand; the distinction between the client and the server, and some things are just impossible to change without making a custom client (virtually impossible).

Also, the "special" thing P99 did, overall speaking, was simply a ridiculous attention to detail and every effort put into making it classic, both with regards to database configuration (monsters, zones, items, etc.) but also functionality. EQ Emu is an all-round emu started ages ago, and has been slowly developed to sort-of match Live EQ, so I imagine that when P99 took a clone of the EQEmu code perhaps 10 years ago, they started by developing "backwards" towards the Classic EQ experience. Props to them.

As a developer, I'd also love to hear more from people about how the thing works. :) I've snooped through the source code and standard EQ emu database some times, it's fun to see.

This brings up another issue: The fact that P99's modifications aren't open source. If the leaders decide to go postal some day, or start slacking with the backups and lose their code, it's just gone forever, and no one will be able to benefit from it, nor modify it in the future. That's a major bummer.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

Pilsner posted:

This brings up another issue: The fact that P99's modifications aren't open source. If the leaders decide to go postal some day, or start slacking with the backups and lose their code, it's just gone forever, and no one will be able to benefit from it, nor modify it in the future. That's a major bummer.

and there it is, the thing that concerns me. I never got a character above 30 on live back in the day, and I've never managed to get a character over 20 on p99... I really want to get to classic EQ endgame content before the chance to do it disappears forever.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

lemonslol posted:

As far as the database goes, the amount of changes they had to do to eliminate all the non-classic things as well as revert things that have been changed over the years would have been pretty massive. Hundreds of hours of work. Anti-boxing code is already in base EQEmu code (I think thanks to P99) so you don't have to worry about that. The spell file is a txt file that can be found in your Everquest folder so it's pretty easy to just import P99's to your server's database.

I'm sure there's also many coding changes they did to make the mechanics more classic.

the last signal... fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 4, 2017

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Thanks guys! I've spent some time volunteering on a pretty popular not p99 eqemu server, mostly quest scripting and converting things from perl to lua--but that's the only thing I know how to work, and it's about as simple as it sounds. I have about 100 dollars a month for the next 5 years worth of credits to a large server hosting company, so I may just attempt to set it up and treat it like restoring an old car.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

I've actually been curious what the p99 team is going to do now that they seem to be more or less "done" with p99. I'm sure there are still some obscure bugs and little accuracy errors to fix here and there, but the server is basically finished at this point.

It's taken them over a decade but they did what they said they were going to do and that's pretty rare for fan projects.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
This may sound crazy, but opening up Luclin would be the best thing for the server overall.

They would have to pre-nerf manaburn though lamo. The server would be a wreck with 100's of mb wizards insta ganking raid mobs every 6 hours or so.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Did they finish all the late-Velious zone revamps yet?

And I think they've thrown around ideas, just nothing has been decided:

-Leave Blue locked forever
-Start a Green server now that all the work is done. They said they've implemented things so they can "turn on" patches when they want. So they could recreate the the launch through Velious end on a normal timeline, instead of the highly protracted one of Blue.
-Copy Blue onto a new server and start making custom content.

I suspect the Green server will happen at some point.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

xZAOx posted:

Did they finish all the late-Velious zone revamps yet?

And I think they've thrown around ideas, just nothing has been decided:

-Leave Blue locked forever
-Start a Green server now that all the work is done. They said they've implemented things so they can "turn on" patches when they want. So they could recreate the the launch through Velious end on a normal timeline, instead of the highly protracted one of Blue.
-Copy Blue onto a new server and start making custom content.

I suspect the Green server will happen at some point.

I heard they made a deal with daybreak: they gave them anti-box code that they used on Phinigel, and promised not to release more servers in exchange for being left alone. I am not sure where I heard that, but I want to say I heard it on Eqemu discord.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
All I ever read about it was: http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191146

Which doesn't say anything other than trying not to time P99 releases with official releases.

He had a later post, which basically says "we won't tell you anymore about it". http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1874755#post1874755

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

lemonslol posted:

Thanks guys! I've spent some time volunteering on a pretty popular not p99 eqemu server, mostly quest scripting and converting things from perl to lua--but that's the only thing I know how to work, and it's about as simple as it sounds. I have about 100 dollars a month for the next 5 years worth of credits to a large server hosting company, so I may just attempt to set it up and treat it like restoring an old car.

That's basically what I've been doing for the past few years and it's been a blast. Working on a custom classic server in a smaller world (zones rearranged) with interesting quality of life improvements. Between playing on it by myself and taking breaks I'm not sure if I'll ever actually get around to finishing and opening it (as if anyone would even play on it).

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

So which one of you fine gents keeps ganking items during Awakened's recharge sessions? Just had a character named Jeans with an o-tag in Unknown Guild steal items again (for the 3rd time) during a recharge session, and then brag about it in tells.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

faulteroy posted:

So which one of you fine gents keeps ganking items during Awakened's recharge sessions? Just had a character named Jeans with an o-tag in Unknown Guild steal items again (for the 3rd time) during a recharge session, and then brag about it in tells.

I have run into the worst of the worst on p99, thankfully they are not the norm or I would have left before kunark.

Just curious, why not pick a new spot / port folks to a different location each time? Too much of a hassle?

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Herv posted:

I have run into the worst of the worst on p99, thankfully they are not the norm or I would have left before kunark.

Just curious, why not pick a new spot / port folks to a different location each time? Too much of a hassle?

Hassle mostly, and faction issues. With all of the crazy rules on this server, it's surprising that this is legal according to the GMs. According to Llandris it's "a dick move" but they aren't going to do anything about it. So.. time to gank those Bladestoppers and Puppet Strings from Rustle and AM.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Jeans is such a dick.

Someone should kick him out of UG.

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

faulteroy posted:

Snitches get stitches. If you are dumb enough to have something happen three times without coming up with a theft-proof system I don't know what to say. get good?

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

shirunei posted:

Snitches get stitches. If you are dumb enough to have something happen three times without coming up with a theft-proof system I don't know what to say. get good?

There's no "theft proof" system for selling items to a vendor. It's just a dick thing to do, but goons guys amirite :human being:

Cucaracha
Nov 22, 2007

Sounds more like a Robin Hood type character to me. Dare I say, a hero?

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

faulteroy posted:

There's no "theft proof" system for selling items to a vendor. It's just a dick thing to do, but goons guys amirite :human being:

Are they not seeing the person standing right next to the vendor waiting to steal the items? What about checking who constantly to see who's in the zone?

Is the hassle of moving zones not worth more than losing a few items?

I don't know, it just seems like this is an incredibly easy thing to avoid. Never had an issue with it during any of our recharge sessions.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Jeans sounds pretty alright tbh

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

No dog in this fight as I've all but quit P99 in anticipation of Agnarr, but any actions that result in poopsocker tears are hilarious

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Jeans, Hero of the People. :patriot:

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
I feel extremely bad for people exploiting the gently caress out of a dumb game mechanic losing some fantasy money

can you guys please not interfere in our literal-out-the-door line of exploitation?

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

nothing wrong with vendor FTE

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I'm sympathetic in the sense that being one of the people responsible for recharges is a pain in the rear end, but yeah, this is ultimately funny, arch-goon behavior and pretty easily avoidable with a little caution. I mean, I've filled up vendors with fish scales, muffins, bat wings, etc. while my own guilds have been recharging multiple times just to see people freak the gently caress out when the important items fall off the list (just have to buy the garbage to get them to show back up). It's never not funny, especially if you're on voice chat with the people trying to recharge.

Scrum
Dec 12, 2003

All I got for Christmas was this shitty custom title.
I'm playing this stupid game again.

Currently as: Ubermacht - Iksar Necro.

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

faulteroy posted:

Or you can hand off the items to wizard mules and not be a moron. You've been hosed many times use that grey matter and I think you will easily come up with a theft proof system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I'm quitting for awhile. Probably be back when it's cold and miserable outside again.

PS steal more from AW/AM. Those guys are cunts.