Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GaussianCopula posted:

Your country deserves everything bad that is going to happen to you over the next decade.

Hmm, looks like GC is trying to join up with the Corbynistas.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Who are posts like these aimed at? No one here votes Tory.

Really? Why not? After all that would speed up the winnowing of the Labour Party, purging heretical doubters until it's a true vanguard party(small enough to fit all MPs into a van lol)

Can't wait for June 8th and the rejoicing in the UKMT thread from the Corbynistas celebrating the success of their plan to lose as many seats as possible to "reshape" the Labour Party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

The real lovely effect of tuition fees is how it impacts universities themselves negatively. The money from tuition gets spent on building facilities to make the place look better on campus tour days rather than improving the quality of education or the number of students per lecturer, and lecturers are discouraged from failing anyone because it would negatively impact the bottom line.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

The Insect Court posted:

Can't wait for June 8th and the rejoicing in the UKMT thread from the Corbynistas celebrating the success of their plan to lose as many seats as possible to "reshape" the Labour Party.

Seeing GC coming out of the closet with his accelerationist views, I’d say it’s working splendidly

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Blasmeister posted:

The real lovely effect of tuition fees is how it impacts universities themselves negatively. The money from tuition gets spent on building facilities to make the place look better on campus tour days rather than improving the quality of education or the number of students per lecturer, and lecturers are discouraged from failing anyone because it would negatively impact the bottom line.

Durham University has grown massively over the past twenty years, and is now so large the town really can't cope (20k students in a town with a population of 50k).

The new VC wants the university to double in size over the next few years, because it brings in the cash and inflates his ego.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose you could just replace the entirety of Durham with the university and turn the cathedral into the main building or something.

Funnily I've never actually been to Durham despite living just up the road from it. It looks nice when I go past it on the train though.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Stabbatical posted:

True. But how? What could possibly work, if nothing has before now?

I forget the exact date, but at some time in the Labour Party's heyday, its MPs were asked which books had most influenced them, and the runaway winner (apart from the bible) was The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists. What made that book different from all other books lamenting the plight of the poor? I think it was the 'great money trick' chapter where Owen demonstrated the extraction of surplus value from labour. We need to give such simple lessons, and attack the notion of 'wealth creators' at the root.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

I suppose you could just replace the entirety of Durham with the university and turn the cathedral into the main building or something.

The Cathedral has nothing to do, administratively speaking, with the university. The university's about 800 years younger, for a start

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

i dont think you understood the post

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Cathedral has nothing to do, administratively speaking, with the university. The university's about 800 years younger, for a start

I had assumed that already.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Durham University has grown massively over the past twenty years, and is now so large the town really can't cope (20k students in a town with a population of 50k).

The new VC wants the university to double in size over the next few years, because it brings in the cash and inflates his ego.

What's the evidence it can't cope

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Labour manifesto's been leaked, apparently.

E:
https://twitter.com/twcuddleston/status/862318921604620289
Also, Jezza picked up speaker to help someone out. The replies are even criticising him for that.

Praseodymi fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 10, 2017

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

It's been leaked without the costing that they said would come out alongside it. Which pretty much gives the Tories the perfect opportunity to get the narrative set as "Labour can't afford this."

It's good stuff though.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
grauniad: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/10/labour-party-manifesto-pledges-to-end-tuition-fees-and-nationalise-railways

strategic leak to gauge reactions, or deliberate sabotage?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I like it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Praseodymi posted:

Labour manifesto's been leaked, apparently.

E:
https://twitter.com/twcuddleston/status/862318921604620289
Also, Jezza picked up speaker to help someone out. The replies are even criticising him for that.

That all seemed like excellent stuff.

Also who was it who was complaining about Labour not emphasizing that government investment is good for everyone?

quote:

In a barnstorming speech to launch his campaign this week Jeremy Corbyn said his manifesto would “transform” Britain.

“It doesn’t have to be like this," he told supporters in Manchester on Tuesday.

“We can transform Britain into a country that - instead of being run for the rich - is a one where everyone can lead richer lives.”

He went on: “We’re drawing a line. Three decades of privatisation – from energy and rail to health and social care – has made some people very rich. But it has not delivered richer lives for the majority.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

I'd vote for it.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

Blasmeister posted:

Well, it certainly has an effect on how students perceive the experience. It drives a desire to provide 'customer satisfaction' which makes universities very keen to score highly in the NSS (also driven upcoming introduction of the TEF). In addition, the pressure to pass students is largely because of the increasing trend for students to make time-consuming and potentially expensive appeals against the exam boards if they should fail, having spent tens of thousands of pounds on their degree.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

quote:

But it was strongly criticised last night by a source from the right of the party who has read it in full.

The source said: “Is that it? For 40 years the Hard Left wanted to control the Labour manifesto, and all it amounts to is a load of freebies for every special interest group.

“It's all concern for the 'feckless poor' and nothing for the hard-working majority.”

I'd really love to put a name to these comments. Anyone who thinks that a better funded NHS, free universites, and non-privatised transport & power are for the 'feckless poor' really should be putting their face to the statement in public. Preferably while twirling a moustache and wearing a monocle.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think someone who complains about the feckless poor should be a:) expelled from the labour party and b:) shot.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Ah yes, special interest groups like "people who use trains" and "people who pay energy bills" :psyduck:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

OwlFancier posted:

I think someone who complains about the feckless poor should be a:) expelled from the labour party and b:) shot.

But enough about Simon Danczuk :v:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Isn't there a danger that if corbyn fails miserably in the election, it will discredit this ambitious manifesto?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

hakimashou posted:

Isn't there a danger that if corbyn fails miserably in the election, it will discredit this ambitious manifesto?

No, the Tories ran on racism three times and eventually it worked.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

hakimashou posted:

haha you're already michael footing and I doubt you even know who he is without the help of wikipedia

democracy doesn't credit or discredit poo poo. It's a bad system and economics isn't based on gutfeel.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Leaking the draft manifesto probably comes from the same person who leaks NEC meetings and all the talking points given to MPs. I doubt there is a strategy apart from 'gently caress you, Corbyn'. They really need to find out who's doing it and get rid of them.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Breath Ray posted:

What's the evidence it can't cope

Talk to Simon Henig or any other local politician; look at the house prices compared to the rest of the region (the rent is literally twice as much as three miles down the road!); look at the churning of shops in the local area, as students have very different desires to the local population and yet are only here half of the year.

DJT518T
Aug 4, 2010
A private security company near my parents have just posted this up.

Have we reached full distopia yet ?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

DJT518T posted:

I knew someone from Yeovil and he has a conviction for a crime of violence and is barely literate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hakimashou posted:

I knew someone from Yeovil and he has a conviction for a crime of violence and is barely literate.

Don't talk about yourself in the third person.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

OwlFancier posted:

Don't talk about yourself in the third person.

That's pretty insulting to violent, illiterate criminals imo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TomViolence posted:

That's pretty insulting to violent, illiterate criminals imo.

But not Yeovillans?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe the violent barely literate person is the one who wrote that letter.

I'm the Tactical Vest's.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

DJT518T posted:

I'm illuminating crime.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

I can see one benefit of the manifesto being leaked - it prevents the finalising committee from loving with it too much. Trying to row back on a big spending pledge once it's already been announced would go down like a lead balloon.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Talk to Simon Henig or any other local politician; look at the house prices compared to the rest of the region (the rent is literally twice as much as three miles down the road!); look at the churning of shops in the local area, as students have very different desires to the local population and yet are only here half of the year.

This just seems like nimbyism to me. Haven't the house prices always been higher there? Isn't it the case that all city centre accommodation costs twice as much compared to 3 miles away?

DJT518T
Aug 4, 2010

oxford_town posted:

I'm illuminating crime.

I prefer my crime to be partially illuminated by a full spectrum mood lamp.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think yeovil and froome have had house prices rise significantly because it's technically possible to commute to london from them on the train line if my sources are correct

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

DJT518T posted:

More like full "clueless chancers who've never heard of the tragedy of the commons or thought through their business model" in that particular case, I think.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

LemonDrizzle posted:

More like full "clueless chancers who've never heard of the tragedy of the commons or thought through their business model" in that particular case, I think.

various acts over time have empowered parish councils to spend money on crime prevention - in particular, the localism act flung open the gates. the language of the ad makes me think that it's intended for people to bring up at parish meetings

at the present time a real approach is to allocate funds to underfunded local police (e.g. http://www.leightonlinslade-tc.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Crime-Disorder.pdf - essentially treating the county police as a auxiliary police force). at that point, there's not much of a leap to privatised auxiliary security, who might be able to provide the same sense of presence, but cheaper

• Locked thread