Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Spoeank posted:

wait best or highest

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

:stare:

Spoeank posted:

wait best or highest

Gronk account spotted

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

CyberPingu posted:

I bought an engagement ring today.
Congrats!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

One upping bastard :mad:

Or 8 upping, whatever.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

CyberPingu posted:

I bought an engagement ring today.

'grats

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Found out today my mom has SVT in addition to some weird-rear end leukemia that eats her platelets AND white blood cells.

She had a racing heartbeat and I had to call off work to take her to the emergency room and now she has to stay the night there.

I'm so loving tired of hospitals.

Also post pics of your pets

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Found out today my mom has SVT in addition to some weird-rear end leukemia that eats her platelets AND white blood cells.

She had a racing heartbeat and I had to call off work to take her to the emergency room and now she has to stay the night there.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

I bowled a lot as a kid. Leagues and state competition. The 276 was when I was 13 or 14 and averaged about 215 a game.

I keep saying I want to get back into it, but eh, life.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

a neat cape posted:

I bowled a lot as a kid. Leagues and state competition. The 276 was when I was 13 or 14 and averaged about 215 a game.

I keep saying I want to get back into it, but eh, life.

276 is impressive...even more so as a 13 year old, good on you!

Life gets in the way with eveeeeeeeeeeeeeeerything, especially when you have kids and their activities take precedence.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
The last time I went bowling was at a company event and I had the 2nd lowest score. On more than one occasion my ball went into the wrong lane.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Somehow onion rings always taste better when you're bowling.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Also, sorry to hear about your mother Hotlanta, hope it gets better. Have a pic of my dog Maverick as a puppy to make you feel better.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

weird Asian candy posted:

276 is impressive...even more so as a 13 year old, good on you!

Life gets in the way with eveeeeeeeeeeeeeeerything, especially when you have kids and their activities take precedence.

This is why I'd be a bad parent. I'm already way too busy and/or selfish and I'm single.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

a neat cape posted:

This is why I'd be a bad parent. I'm already way too busy and/or selfish and I'm single.

I have two kids in basketball and my third about to start volleyball. My life entirely consists of work, practice, traffic, games and not enough sleep.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
If I ever have kids they are not allowed to play hockey or swimming or any sport that requires waking up at 4am to drive them to practice.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

FizFashizzle posted:

yeah but he caucuses with them so whats the difference

You can ask him - Bernie could obviously be a Democrat if he wanted, so he thinks there's a difference:

https://heatst.com/politics/man-who-wanted-to-be-democrats-presidential-nominee-im-not-a-democrat/
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/329418-sanders-i-do-not-consider-myself-a-democrat

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Uterine Lineup posted:

If I ever have kids they are not allowed to play hockey or swimming or any sport that requires waking up at 4am to drive them to practice.

i grew up with some pretty serious swimmers at the local club. Like, Ricky Berens who won a gold medal serious. There was this nuts swim gym that produced poo poo loads of ACC swimmers. They wanted me because I was a good summer league kid when I was like 10/11 or so.

Then they told me I had practice every day at 4 am and was like lol gently caress that i'll stick to tennis thanks.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

FizFashizzle posted:

i grew up with some pretty serious swimmers at the local club. Like, Ricky Berens who won a gold medal serious. There was this nuts swim gym that produced poo poo loads of ACC swimmers. They wanted me because I was a good summer league kid when I was like 10/11 or so.

Then they told me I had practice every day at 4 am and was like lol gently caress that i'll stick to tennis thanks.

I was the rear end in a top hat kid that made my parents drive me to swimming practice in the summer and indoor soccer in the winter at 4am and I repaid them by quitting sports in high school to dedicate myself to getting high. I will not make the same mistakes they did.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

ok

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Those are some good dogs

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Also, what is the point of microsoft access? I'm legit asking. I've never used it before. And I've used STATA, SPSS, GIS, etc.

Management asked us to edit these spreadsheets and asked that we do it in access. Sure okay, but I don't see what value is gained by importing excel into access to make it a table, editing, then exporting the table back to an excel file.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Also, what is the point of microsoft access? I'm legit asking. I've never used it before. And I've used STATA, SPSS, GIS, etc.

Management asked us to edit these spreadsheets and asked that we do it in access. Sure okay, but I don't see what value is gained by importing excel into access to make it a table, editing, then exporting the table back to an excel file.

Access stores data in tables so you can run queries and reports and stuff against it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

https://youtu.be/dQTVy9xjfmo

Almighty poster guy

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Ehud posted:

Access stores data in tables so you can run queries and reports and stuff against it.

And includes a reasonably robust UI designer so you can make data input a little less drudge-y.

Source: I broke into development by learning how to code through excel and access.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

JPrime posted:

And includes a reasonably robust UI designer so you can make data input a little less drudge-y.

Source: I broke into development by learning how to code through excel and access.

That's good to know. But does it like... alter the excel file itself somehow?

e; I don't get why editing these unique text entries requires Access, it seems like extra steps?

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

weird Asian candy posted:

Awesome man, good luck to you! If you ever have questions, feel free to let me know. It really is a great profession. It has it's frustrations like every job does but there is nothing in I.T. as rewarding. It made me sad to leave it, but like I said with the state of pensions in Illinois it just made more sense for me to retire.

If you think you will be done with people telling you what to do, have fun during your probie period :) Even after...there is a whole political/pecking order game that goes on in the fire service. Hopefully you get on a department that isn't into all that too much (they all are to an extent).

Thanks man! I've been on a combination department as a volunteer for 5 years now, and they pitched me an offer to go career starting next year. Still have to redo the rookie year, but at least I'll know what I'm getting in to!

And yeah, definitely will be having people telling what to do. Just hope I never have to gear the phase "do the needful". That is my fingernails on chalk board.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I use it daily. We're able to take names dates addresses etc and yes / no answers and manipulate them by running different kinds of queries, exporting the data into both Excel and word. Not the prettiest thing but great for large amounts of data.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

That's good to know. But does it like... alter the excel file itself somehow?

e; I don't get why editing these unique text entries requires Access, it seems like extra steps?

Here's a decent breakdown:
https://eagereyes.org/basics/spreadsheet-thinking-vs-database-thinking

e. Although that doesn't get into the difference between "a database" and "a relational database". Access is a relational database, which means it can handle multiple tables, each with keys that point to other tables, which allows you to do some very powerful things that simply cannot be done in a spreadsheet (or non-relational database).

It is weird that you're being asked to convert to Access just to convert back to a spreadsheet, but without details, it's hard to guess whether it's a reasonable or stupid thing to do.

e. Here's a basic intro to what a relational database is: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question599.htm

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 10, 2017

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

186 posted:

Thanks man! I've been on a combination department as a volunteer for 5 years now, and they pitched me an offer to go career starting next year. Still have to redo the rookie year, but at least I'll know what I'm getting in to!

And yeah, definitely will be having people telling what to do. Just hope I never have to gear the phase "do the needful". That is my fingernails on chalk board.

Very cool that you will be able to go career at the department you were volunteer! That will help a lot! Having to learn each apparatus and where everything is, what it does, the station and what is there not to mention areas and maps is going to be seamless for you which is the hardest part!

I agree though, "do the needful" is awful. Also, "do the same". Grrr.

uh oh pancho!
Sep 3, 2004

THE MARATHON WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME SGDQ18

access also handles big rear end data sets a lot better than excel does, so even if you're not doing anything like joins it might just be an issue of necessity to work on that spreadsheet without anything getting truncated

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Pirate Iggy says to hang in there!

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

pubic works project posted:

Pirate Iggy says to hang in there!

oh my god im melting

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I was in bowling club my senior year of HS, and the best I ever got was a 156. Several years later of not bowling, during an after work function I bowled a 176. It was weird.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

seiferguy posted:

I was in bowling club my senior year of HS, and the best I ever got was a 156. Several years later of not bowling, during an after work function I bowled a 176. It was weird.

Alcohol is magic

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I took bowling as my PE elective in undergrad which entailed going to the bowling alley once a week, signing the roll, and bowling two games. I went from a 158 to about a 220 so I guess it helped! Thanks college!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

:smith:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

mcmagic are you here screaming at this republican

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBUP_UxHYLs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

oh my god im melting

Don't worry he has that effect on everyone.

• Locked thread