Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Looks like I got the stupid cargo bay glitch where it doesn't clear the objective after killing the typhon. Has anyone found a way around this without reloading? I'm only using quicksaves so I can't restart the section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
So I'm about 4 hours into the game and I'm calling it now.

Ending Prediction Maybe Spoilers

Alex was actually right all along, and January wasn't actually made by you but was made by that Doctor that "disappeared" and everyone got their memory wiped of him. There's probably an alternative ending where you become god of typhoon/get everything, instead of destroying the station.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

SweetBro posted:

So I'm about 4 hours into the game and I'm calling it now.

Ending Prediction Maybe Spoilers

Alex was actually right all along, and January wasn't actually made by you but was made by that Doctor that "disappeared" and everyone got their memory wiped of him. There's probably an alternative ending where you become god of typhoon/get everything, instead of destroying the station.

You'll see :)

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

What did I find?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mymla posted:

What did I find?

Where did you find that?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Mymla posted:

What did I find?

That the cook had a crush on FemMorg :v:

e: It's in Will the cook's cabin iirc

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Lima posted:

That the cook had a crush on FemMorg :v:

e: It's in Will the cook's cabin iirc

Is it not there if you're a dude?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Mymla posted:

Is it not there if you're a dude?

I'm playing male Morgan and I'm almost positive I saw the same thing when I went in there.

Haven't finished the game either, but I'm guessing the crossed out scientist is the one I've heard about a few other times that was apparently only there for a day and then got wiped from all records. That guy was probably a major part of the backstory and one of the things I'm wondering about the most besides who created January and December. Like even though Alex is apparently being "honest" with me now about my brain being reset over and over after I saw the video on his computer, it feels like he might still be lying about everything and I'm actually a Typhon that had its memory erased. Or my entire personality and memories got backed up onto a neuromod-based hard drive somewhere and I'm actually just an android that has the Morgan program uploaded to it at the start of every playthrough and the whole game is a test to see if I can accomplish some specific task involving the Typhon.

Going to try and plow through the rest of the campaign when I get home tonight, not being able to read all these spoiler posts is killing me. I have so many theories, but not enough information yet to actually resolve any of them.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I did my first playthrough as male Morgan and now I'm doing female.

In my male Morgan play I found out that he had a romantic relationship with Ilyushin and ended it because he was going into the sim and wanted to spare her the worry and grief of him completely forgetting about her

Who is it if you're female? How does the plot thread change?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kraftwerk posted:

I did my first playthrough as male Morgan and now I'm doing female.

In my male Morgan play I found out that he had a romantic relationship with Ilyushin and ended it because he was going into the sim and wanted to spare her the worry and grief of him completely forgetting about her

Who is it if you're female? How does the plot thread change?

It doesn't

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Prey beta update

quote:

​​A new update for Prey (v0.5) is now available via Steam as a Beta update – see below for instructions.

The Steam beta update v0.5 includes: 

​Fix to prevent Save games from becoming corrupted. Fix also returns corrupted Save games to uncorrupted state. 
----->Also addresses some additional crashes on map loads.

Hacking during the Power Plant reboot no longer causes the reboot to fail to complete.

Fix to prevent the Player from becoming stuck in certain circumstances.

Nightmares will now always search for the player once spawned.

Saving and Loading PC settings will now save correctly for users with special characters in their Windows usernames.

Numerous fixes to GLOO to prevent breaking and bypassing collision, prevent corpses from passing through walls and floors.

Updated Recycling to prevent infinite material creation. 

Fix for occasional combat freeze when attacking Phantoms

Kaspar’s objective indicator should no longer disappear.

Updates to audio mix to adjust volume of music, audio logs, cutscenes.

Note - The public-beta-patch branch shares the same game Saves as the default branch. If a previously corrupted Save is fixed by switching to the public-beta-patch branch, switching back to the default branch will reintroduce the chance of corruption (this issue to be fixed in a future patch). If a Save file has been previously edited manually, it may not function properly. 
Deletion of level.dat files may cause game progression to not function properly. 

If you run into issues or have questions please let us know in the Bethesda.net forums here: https://bethesda.net/community/category/166/steam-beta-update

How to access the Steam Beta:

​Log into Steam.

Right Click on Prey in your Library.

Select Properties.

Select Betas.

A drop down menu will appear. Select public-beta-patch.

Select OK.

Wait for the game to update.

When done, Prey[public-beta-patch] should appear in our Library.

If it still appears only as “Prey” in your Library, repeat the above steps.

Thanks for your support!

http://steamcommunity.com/games/480490/announcements/detail/1296319532120777013

RIP all the speedrunning and infinite resource hacks.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Holy poo poo nice! I'm sure there's some people having a massive rage fest about that on forums.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Good! I almost caved and tried to cheat I'm glad it's getting patched

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ah yes, the good old "Male or Lesbian" trick, otherwise known as a "Mass Effecter"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The Steam beta update v0.5 includes:

Updates to audio mix to adjust volume of music, audio logs, cutscenes.

THANK GOD! I hope that actually fixes my problems.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Let us hope I can now split my volume levels a little more evenly than "Everything at 100% except for music which is at 2% and still sometimes too loud".

Kraftwerk posted:

Holy poo poo nice! I'm sure there's some people having a massive rage fest about that on forums.

I haven't seen it brought up anywhere, but maybe I'm just not looking hard enough and/or don't care enough.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Just popping in to say this game is super good and fun.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

As much as I love this game I'm finding myself in more combat than I really should and at this point I'm trying to get around all of it. The gunplay is super boring and unrewarding and all of the enemies are uninteresting and really dumb. They got everything else about the game perfect and then just lifted the enemies from Edge of Tomorrow and mashed it up with Resident Evil's recent thing of black amorphous blob creatures.

It's really weird because the less enemies there are the more interested I am in playing but once I start having to deal with too many enemies I get bored and take a break. How the gently caress is this possible?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Ah yes, the good old "Male or Lesbian" trick, otherwise known as a "Mass Effecter"

I'm a little upset that they didn't have Mikhaila be Mikhail if you're dude-Morgan. Having a definitely gay/bi protagonist no matter what would be great and would probably piss off a lot of lovely nerds, though resources aside I imagine Arkane used up their Bethesda-allotted inclusivity points on the protagonist being Asian.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Prey beta update

I'm sure people will find new ones and even if they don't then most major speedruns will probably just be of the unpatched game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Genocyber posted:

I'm a little upset that they didn't have Mikhaila be Mikhail if you're dude-Morgan. Having a definitely gay/bi protagonist no matter what would be great and would probably piss off a lot of lovely nerds, though resources aside I imagine Arkane used up their Bethesda-allotted inclusivity points on the protagonist being Asian

This is one of the most diverse games I've ever played, what are you talkin about. Talos 1 is a god drat melting pot my dude.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CJacobs posted:

This is one of the most diverse games I've ever played, what are you talkin about. Talos 1 is a god drat melting pot my dude.

That's true! But there's a difference between that being present in side characters vs. the main character (that people play as; I'm willing to bet that with Shepherd most people play through as the male Morgan) which is more what I was referring to.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think the bioware thing is more that in DA2 literally every romance option was apparently bi which seemed like a hell of a coincidence

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Genocyber posted:

That's true! But there's a difference between that being present in side characters vs. the main character (that people play as; I'm willing to bet that with Shepherd most people play through as the male Morgan) which is more what I was referring to.

Sure, but I don't think making them be player-sexual is all that bad. It's a lack of effort on their part but I can see how it would be pretty low on the priority list to cast a side character you only see a few times twice. Morgan speaks for the entire game, Ilyushin only for a handful of missions. And plus, the hetero option is there for people who want it and the opposite if not (not that it's really all that important in the game itself anyway). It demonstrates inconsistency in the character's writing, sure, but the player is only ever gonna see one half of that so I don't mind it :shrug:

edit: There are also at least a few more gay couples I took note of in the game and that's equally important imo, though less at the forefront of the player's mind since they're just side characters, most of which don't show up on screen besides their corpses.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 11, 2017

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Eh it's more laziness than some sort of "lesbians are hot" bioware poo poo so I think it kind of gets a pass. But there are points to why you couldn't just gender swap someone.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think it's nice that the game highly emphasizes that what matters is not Ilyushin's gender, it's her interactions with Morgan that define her character. She is a minor side character in the game itself (no spoilers from me here) but there's a lot of backstory to be found on her, as well as her relationship with Morgan. She's not just "the protagonist's girlfriend/ex-girlfriend/who knows". Which imo is way more important than whether she is gay for the player or straight for the player.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

cosmic brain: changing literally nothing about the plot, relationships, or character interactions based on gender is actually progressive

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Perhaps consider that they very easily could have had her not appear in the game at all outside of text logs. That's why her character is a progressive one anyway, because they didn't take the easy way out just to appease people who are afraid of The Homo in their video games or w/e.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

OK, the Looking Glass calibration jump scare got me good.

It's nice they've managed to take the tedium out of parts of the backtracking by making "just leg it" a perfectly viable strat.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Okay there's definitely a random loot component to some safes and corpses because I just found the neuromod plan super early

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Okay I'm done, I've gotta return this Redbox, and I have a few questions . These might've been explained but if so I totally missed it.

- How exactly did the outbreak start this time? Is this spelled out anywhere?

- Where did the fake cook go after I fell for his trap? I couldn't find him.

- How did the fake cook know about the simulation?

- The shuttle leaving the station mentioned seeing both a military vessel (the security guy) and a "large black unidentified object" IIRC - what was that about?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Lakbay posted:

Okay there's definitely a random loot component to some safes and corpses because I just found the neuromod plan super early

Where did you find it?

Mymla posted:

THAC1 triggers me a lot more than it should.

What is this a reference to? Google is getting nothing.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Prey beta update

Haha, nice. I'm sure Cheat engine still works for inventory stuff if you're into that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ambaire posted:

What is this a reference to? Google is getting nothing.

THAC0, probably?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Something interesting with IGN's Prey review.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2017/05/11/prey-review-2

They gave it a 4 because of a gamebreaking bug.

What stands out to me is that I've never seen a reviewer do that before. Usually they'll delay the review or put up a no score with a warning that the game could not be completed.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Red Mundus posted:

What stands out to me is that I've never seen a reviewer do that before. Usually they'll delay the review or put up a no score with a warning that the game could not be completed.

Imagine the attention their review will get in the face of all the glowing praise it's receiving elsewhere though.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Hexenritter posted:

Imagine the attention their review will get in the face of all the glowing praise it's receiving elsewhere though.

This game's not getting constant glowing praise though. Some people, like most here, love it, but a lot of people seem to think it's quite average. I think that's inevitable for this sort of immersive sim game, though; if you're not the kind of person to really dig into a game's systems and what its actually lets you do you're not going to get too much from it.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if that's the reasoning for their score. It's also hilariously hypocritical given how IGN scores poo poo like the Elder Scrolls.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Late game enemy spoiler. When Dahl shows up I thought for sure it was pulling a Half-Life. You've spent all these hours fighting monsters, now here comes in the military. You get to try out the build you made on marines. Then all the areas just get swarmed by bots. I was hoping for too much maybe.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Red Mundus posted:

Extra dumb because the beta patch supposedly fixes the bug already. What are they going to do, leave it up for a day and then change it to the real score?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Genocyber posted:

Though I wouldn't be surprised if that's the reasoning for their score. It's also hilariously hypocritical given how IGN scores poo poo like the Elder Scrolls.

Can't say I've visited IGN since the DA2 / ME3 debacle.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Red Mundus posted:

Very strange, considering they give BioWare and Bethesda Softworks games full marks despite those games being some of the worst tested things on the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Do people even pay attention to game scores now? Over the past few years everyone has finally learned that game scores are proportionate to the free poo poo publishers give gaming journalists.

If I want to know if a game is good I can play a demo or go on Twitch and watch someone play it.