Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Elysium posted:

Speaking of Mowers, I just discovered that plug in electric mowers are a thing. My yard is pretty small and I have a plenty long heavy duty extension cord. How do they compare to gas?

I just went through the process of reading about mowers and the reviews for the CORDED electric mowers seem to be pretty positive. The cordless suffer from the same issues battery powered appliances of all stripes do, but the CORDED mowers seem to be well regarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm a big fan of my corded mower. They're cheap, the cord isn't much of an issue, and does everything I need. I got a 100' cord and it works great. It's like vacuuming (oddly I have a cordless Dyson for that though )

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Elysium posted:

Speaking of Mowers, I just discovered that plug in electric mowers are a thing. My yard is pretty small and I have a plenty long heavy duty extension cord. How do they compare to gas?

I love mine. I can mow my whole yard on a single 25' extension cord without changing plugs.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I just bought a new-to-me Dixon zero turn :swoon:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Elysium posted:

I love my corded mower. I grew up using a gas mower and hated everything about using and maintaining it. My corded mower just needs the blade sharpened from time to time, it's quieter, and it doesn't smell bad.

I was happy to learn that there are tons of electric mowers out there, and when choosing battery vs corded I decided I didn't want to have to charge batteries. The corded mowers were also a lot less expensive than the battery mowers.

If you get one, make sure you get an extension cord of the right length and that can handle the right amperage. My mower is 12A but the cheapest extension cords will only let you draw 10A.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

QuarkJets posted:

I love my corded mower. I grew up using a gas mower and hated everything about using and maintaining it. My corded mower just needs the blade sharpened from time to time, it's quieter, and it doesn't smell bad.
Exactly this. I got the Kobalt KM210 from Lowes, it is great as long as your yard is within an extension cord's length of an outlet. It seemed like the best value in Consumer Reports' tests if you wanted good mulching.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
How big of a yard do you corded mower guys have? Because it just seems like it would be a huge hassle to truck the cord around, worry about it snagging on stuff, etc. For reference I have a third of an acre and maybe a quarter acre or less of that is lawn. I also have three outbuildings, so I'm probably not in the same boat as you guys.

Modern 4-stroke gas push mowers are way more pleasant to use than what I grew up with. My biggest problem is the new goddamn EPA mandated gas cans. Leak everywhere.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Ain't she a beaut

I tried to go electric string trimmer this year, but didn't read the box right and it only had a 10" cut area. Now it's just sitting in my garage taking up space, I need to try to sell that.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

LogisticEarth posted:

How big of a yard do you corded mower guys have? Because it just seems like it would be a huge hassle to truck the cord around, worry about it snagging on stuff, etc. For reference I have a third of an acre and maybe a quarter acre or less of that is lawn. I also have three outbuildings, so I'm probably not in the same boat as you guys.

Modern 4-stroke gas push mowers are way more pleasant to use than what I grew up with. My biggest problem is the new goddamn EPA mandated gas cans. Leak everywhere.

A 50 ft cord covers both of my yards using 1 outlet in the front and 1 outlet in the back on about 1/8th of an acre. I'd probably be able to get away with a 25 ft cord if I didn't have to get out to a tiny strip of grass on the outside of my fence running along the sidewalk. If the cord snags on something then you just shake it loose, no big deal. It's definitely a lot less hassle than running and maintaining a small ICE

Extension cords are commonly available in 100 ft, but if you have sections of yard further away than that from an outlet then I think gas is the only feasible option. 100 feet is a lot, though, assuming your house is somewhere near the center of your plot

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you have a lot of trees you need to mow around it can get a little inconvenient. I only have one tree in my front and back yards I need to mow around and it's no big deal, but I wouldn't love weaving in between like five of them or something.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LogisticEarth posted:

My biggest problem is the new goddamn EPA mandated gas cans. Leak everywhere.

These are the worst loving the the EPA has ever done. It's replaced the small amount of escaping gasoline vapor with a medium amount of vapor due to evaporation of the pint I spilled on the ground while trying to pour with no spout, because the stupid loving fume-return spout doesn't loving work.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
For all of your...ahem...water can needs

https://www.amazon.com/Gas-Spout-Replacement-Water-White/dp/B0149L17FC/

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MrYenko posted:

These are the worst loving the the EPA has ever done. It's replaced the small amount of escaping gasoline vapor with a medium amount of vapor due to evaporation of the pint I spilled on the ground while trying to pour with no spout, because the stupid loving fume-return spout doesn't loving work.

You can buy kits to unfuck the cans, or as you suggest even just take the spout off and eyeball it for better results. The EPA might as well launched a "throw plastic bags away, hooray!" campaign.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
I've given up on spouts for most of my fuel transfer and gone to a jiggle siphon for most uses.

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-10801-FloTool-Shaker-Anti-Static/dp/B000EH0ORI/ref=pd_sbs_263_1

Makes moving gas from my 5 gallon cans to my riding lawnmower, generator, and boat a lot easier.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

n0tqu1tesane posted:

jiggle siphon

Every day a thing I never knew existed becomes a thing I must have.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
The No Spill brand gas cans are kind of great.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

uwaeve posted:

The No Spill brand gas cans are kind of great.

I have this one, works great. No complaints.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I have declared war on thistles. Welding gloves are all I could find that were thorn proof. Stupid cheap rear end neighbors feeding birds thistle seed.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Elephanthead posted:

I have declared war on thistles. Welding gloves are all I could find that were thorn proof. Stupid cheap rear end neighbors feeding birds thistle seed.

A day after a rain is the best time. I need my hands in good shape, so I'm picky about gloves. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004R9RW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Elephanthead posted:

It won't make them any easier to remove, but your neighbors are almost certainly feeding nyjer seed, which, although marketed as thistle seed sometimes, is actually not really anything like thistle seed. Also, it's one of the most expensive bird seeds you can buy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

search for "thorn proof gloves", and get the elbow-length ones.

something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/NoCry-Resistant-Protection-Reinforced-Fingertips/dp/B01LB3IM7W

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The roots on these are insane. I am dealing with some old growth from the prior owner not caring and a summer of bank ownedness. Going to mix in some herbicide on the ones away from my plants to hopefully get some dead roots. I wonder if i can use some insect warfare. Not sure if I can get sterilized bugs or not. Anyone got a source on genetically modified thistle bugs?

http://www.bio-control.com/pricing.php

Jackpot.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Any helpful suggestions on washer/dryer purchasing?

Holy gently caress are they expensive, even basic ones. I guess try and anticipate Memorial Day sales and buy from a place that does price-match?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Jaxyon posted:

Holy gently caress are they expensive, even basic ones. I guess try and anticipate Memorial Day sales and buy from a place that does price-match?

Hey I came to this thread for the same advice. I don't want to buy used ones.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

start and end your journey here: https://www.speedqueen.com/products/where-to-buy.aspx

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

I read LG was good and I bought a set and so far have lined them. As homeownership goes these are kind of bush league expenses. Ha ha ha.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I read LG was good and I bought a set and so far have lined them. As homeownership goes these are kind of bush league expenses. Ha ha ha.

If an LG washer or dryer breaks, getting it repaired is a bitch. The parts are all in Korea, first of all, and secondly their "authorized repair person" list is abysmally small.

Go with GE or Whirlpool.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

HEY NONG MAN posted:

If an LG washer or dryer breaks, getting it repaired is a bitch. The parts are all in Korea, first of all, and secondly their "authorized repair person" list is abysmally small.

Go with GE or Whirlpool.

Been happy with my GE Profile washer/dryer. Bought new in 2010. I'm only now coming up to when things will start to show wear though so who knows! Top loader washer and front loader gas dryer. The "handwash" setting does in fact wash very delicate things very delicately.

Coworker has now repaired his LG front loading washer several times, only one of which was his own fault as the result of a previous repair. It is a few years older so maybe I will be doing the same soon!

They're only really expensive if you insist on a $1500 washer and $1500 dryer. If you do, Speed Queen or Miele, otherwise $1500 should get you both units to your home and installed.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Jaxyon posted:

Craigslist.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Elysium posted:

Craigslist.

I got my parents' old GE washer and dryer when they upgraded to the newfangled core i-5 units with 8GB RAM and I feel kind of bad about it. I replaced the Teflon sliders and door seal and they will probably run for ten more years. The new units will fry their motherboard every 6 months until the warranty runs out and then get left on the curb on trash day.

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO
I bought my Samsung dryer from Best Buy and it came with a free install. Think it was like $600ish originally but I had redeemed around $150 in random Best Buy gift cards through my credit card to make it feel less bad.
-

Today I paid a guy $1500 to replace the original 1985 water heater in my house, which survived almost exactly one year since I bought the home. I found out it was dying because my water bill was over 3x higher than it should've been this month- went downstairs to check and sure enough, that sucker had sprung a leak. Upgraded from 40 gallons to 50, hooray! Half the cost was the labor of getting it installed; since some gas pipes had to be moved around and I don't know wtf I'm doing, I feel good about paying someone else to do it.

Apparently it's a self cleaning thing that doesn't need maintenance, but I'm kind of wondering if the previous owners were draining the old one off every few years to extend the life of that thing. Does anyone regularly drain their newer water heater or check on anode rods or whatever? Or is it pretty much set it and forget it?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Frown Town posted:

Apparently it's a self cleaning thing that doesn't need maintenance, but I'm kind of wondering if the previous owners were draining the old one off every few years to extend the life of that thing. Does anyone regularly drain their newer water heater or check on anode rods or whatever? Or is it pretty much set it and forget it?

I live in Vegas which has very hard water (somewhere in the 18-25 range for a water softener setting, about 500 on a TDS meter). I hook a hose up to the drain on my water heater every 3-6 months and I change the anode rod every 2-3 years. Both are easy assuming you have enough clearance over your heater to easily remove the anode rod.

If you have good quality water, you probably don't need to do anything to it but it wouldn't hurt to drain it from the bottom once a year anyway.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Elysium posted:

Craigslist.

Man whatever money you save it isn't worth it trying to lug the things yourself.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I pick up all of my appliances for free off of the side of the road, like a normal person

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Man whatever money you save it isn't worth it trying to lug the things yourself.

They really aren't that heavy, especially dryers. you can lift them yourself with a lifting strap, although is obviously easier with a second person. i think moving a heavy box into the back of a truck and then like 20 yards into your house is clearly worth $1000.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

I pick up all of my appliances for free off of the side of the road, like a normal person

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

Droo posted:

I live in Vegas which has very hard water (somewhere in the 18-25 range for a water softener setting, about 500 on a TDS meter). I hook a hose up to the drain on my water heater every 3-6 months and I change the anode rod every 2-3 years. Both are easy assuming you have enough clearance over your heater to easily remove the anode rod.

If you have good quality water, you probably don't need to do anything to it but it wouldn't hurt to drain it from the bottom once a year anyway.

That's what I'm thinking - like 'why not just drain it?' It doesn't seem like that much effort - the manual even recommends draining off a gallon each month (which I will not remember to do).

I'm in Boulder, CO and the water quality is very good and softish depending on the source (36-49 mg/L, unless it's coming from the reservoir, then 161 mg/L according to reports- haven't tested it myself). The city at least gives a poo poo enough to publish stats! We're heavy in stuff like quartz according to the plumber, so I guess sediment is more of a concern. Sounds like it's not too corrosive, but I may just want to check on that rod in a several years.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

My Kenmore from 2011 poo poo the bed a couple months ago. Wife wants another Kenmore...

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

CloFan posted:

My Kenmore from 2011 poo poo the bed a couple months ago. Wife wants another Kenmore...

There's no reason to have brand loyalty for Kenmore, because they just rebrand appliances produced by other companies. Just check the reviews first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Neighbor actually has a brand new set of the elite or whatever, and i'm trying to get them for 50% off msrp. She's motivated to sell, husband went to prison for a while (hence the $600 zero-turn a few pages back :homebrew:)

e: but I don't give a poo poo about brand, I'd rather the washer last more than 6 years