Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

if there is ever more than one country in Iberia, including games where I'm not playing a European country and in real life, I get hives

Portugal, get your poo poo together and swear fealty to Felipe VI already, you're just mucking things up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"

We may have brought in some new infidel cities into the fold of our country, but we need to bring them to Allah and develop the cities to their true potential when they were languishing under the nations of Galicia, Portugal and Leon.

I'm with the Ulama.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

Now that the home situation is moderately better, we can now focus on monetary expansion. I change my faction to the League of Merchants.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The greed of the merchants and the insatiable blood lust of the Taifa will only lead to ruin! only through the greatest and his prophet may true prosperity be reached! Im joining the Ulama

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

and think of the borders

On this note, I, Idris Majnun abd Jinn, of the Literally Insane faction, propose that once we eject all Christians from Iberia, we then declare war on the ocean itself and terraform the peninsula into a circle.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

I, Dansar rabb al'Ustul Alttijari remain with the League of Merchants

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I believe if we expand westward, we can find a shorter route to China and it's valuable tea resources! As a representative of the Al-Andalus Tujjar Alshshay (if Google translate hasn't failed me), I support the Merchants.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

I'm switching from Taifas to Ulama. Let's cool it before the French kill the poo poo out of us.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

I am joining the League of Merchants.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

Staying on with the Ulama.

We must build up faith in the people before we can truly be the avenging sword of Islam.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Remaining with League of Merchants

eta: Do we need to notify the OP that we're remaining in a faction, or can we just stay in by default if not switching going forward? If I had missed this update for a day, would I not be counted as LoM?

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 11, 2017

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I remain with the League of Merchants

It is silver that rules the world, not steel.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

I stand with the League of Merchants

Al Andalus needs some time of peace and prosperity right now.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Just read through this LP and can confirm its doozy state. Fantastic prose!

Allah helps those who help themselves to other peoples' money. I, Aethernet, stand with the League of Merchants.

Purplebeard
Feb 27, 2014

Boats Boats Boats!

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

I continue to stand with the Boat Faction!

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

I remain with the Taifas, we shall not rest until Iberia in its entirety is ours.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

'll be joining the League of Merchants.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!

The Merchants have an unassailable lead, so I'm calling it there.

10, Lord Cyrahzax, Ibblebibble, Rodyle, Flavius Belisarius, PurpleXVI, Luhood, MuteAllison, catlord, Sampatrick, Tendronai.

11, Mountaineer, Ralepozozaxe, Chatrapati, Snipee, AJ_Impy, Slaan, CommissarMega, MythLisp, Agean90, Chief Savage Man, Erwin the German.

43, WilliamAnderson, Talas, Soup du Jour, Archaeology Hat, TildeATH, RZApublican, Dick Trauma, Captain Oblivious, Yvonmukluk, Ikasuhito, Whit27, Grizzwold, Mikl, ShootaBoy, Affi, Invader Zym, Smoky Bandana, Cerebral Bore, HannibalBarca, Crazycryodude, Bloody Pom, the JJ, Technowolf, paragon1, Prince Orcus, GSD, Hitlers Gay Secret, ThatBasqueGuy, Frionnel, Nine of Eight, HiHo ChiRho, Rubix Squid, everydayfalls, Aeromancia, Dance Officer, Bot 02, GunnerJ, The Lone Badger, Shogeton, Aethernet, Purplebeard, Lynneth, Camoes.

The New Taifas have lost their mandate, the reign of Sultan Akkad will be dominated by the Merchants.

Second Meeting of the Majlis, cont'd.

Okay, so I've changed the rules relating to policies a bit. Firstly, you can only vote for a policy that someone in your faction has proposed, so there's no inter-faction voting anymore, unless you want to get thrown in the oubliette.

Secondly, like I've said before, there are a few things that you simply can't propose. There was a bit of confusion regarding exactly what in previous sessions, so I'll list out the things that a faction can't propose below, underneath the Restrictions section.

Also, I like the idea of coalitions between minority factions, but I'll need to figure out how to make it work, so there'll be no coalitions for now.

Anyways, here's the info on policies:

Policies

Between updates, factions may submit Policies in which they attempt to influence the direction taken in the next update.

Policies are not strictly necessary, because I’ll be roleplaying according to the Ruling Faction’s goals and the Sultan’s personality, but it’s basically a way for the minority factions to influence what happens. Policies can range from declaring war and forming alliances to raising development and sabotaging reputation, for example.

Each faction may submit one policy, so members within a faction can either write up their own policy or support an already-submitted policy, and the one with the most supporters will be carried out in the next update.

The current Ruling Faction (faction with the most members) will be able to submit one extra policy, for a total of two.

Policies are only valid for the length of a single update, after which they become void, even if they go unfulfilled. New policies must therefore be submitted between updates.

If two different policies conflict, the Sultan will pick between them, so it in the interest of factions to avoid submitting clashing policies. The Sultan will also pick between any policies that are tied.

Members of a faction may only support policies that someone else in their faction has proposed.

Example:

I, x of the Taifas, propose that we declare war on England, with the intention of capturing London and severing their alliances.

---

Policy Restrictions

The type of policies that a faction can propose will sometimes be limited depending on whether or not that faction is in power, like so:

The New Taifas may not propose policies involving wars of conquest or vassalization. Wars that do not involving conquest, like demanding tribute or inflicting humiliation, are all perfectly fine.

The Ulema may not propose policies involving the conversion of non-Muslim policies.

There are no limits to the policies of the League of Merchants, so proposals to do things like explore uncharted territory to the west, colonising provinces, or even finding specific sea routes are all perfectly fine.

---

Buildings

Below is the list of buildings that we can construct at the moment, along with their effects. Anything with a strikethrough means that we don't have the tech to build it yet.

Trade
Marketplace: +50% Local Trade Power (tech 4)
Trade Depot: +100% Local Trade Power (tech 17)
Stock Exchange: +125% Local Trade Power (tech 22)

Navy
Dock: +50% Local Sailors Modifier (tech 4)
Drydock: +100% Local Sailors Modifier (tech 19)

Shipyard: +2 Naval Force Limit, -25% Local Shipbuilding Time, +25% Local Ship Repair. (tech 8)
Grand Shipyard: +4 Naval Force Limit, -50% Local Shipbuilding Time, +50% Local Ship Repair (tech 24)

Army
Barracks: +50% Local Manpower Modifier (tech 4)
Training Fields: +100% Local Manpower Modifier (tech 16)

Regimental Camp: +1 Land Force Limit (tech 8)
Conscription Center: +2 Land Force Limit (tech 22)

Defense
Castle: Fort Level +2
Bastion: Fort Level +4 (tech 14)
Star Fort: Fort Level +6 (tech 19)
Fortress: Fort Level +8 (tech 24)

Keep in mind that forts also cost maintenance.

Government
Courthouse: -25% State Maintenance, -0.1 Monthly Autonomy Change (tech 8)
Town Hall: -50% State Maintenance, -0.2 Monthly Autonomy Change (tech 22)

University: -20% Local Development Cost, +1 Possible number of buildings (tech 17)

Production
Workshop: +50% Local Production Efficiency (tech 4)
Counting House: +100% Local Production Efficiency (tech 24)

Taxation
Mosque: +40% Local Tax Modifier (tech 4)
Great Mosque: +60% Local Tax Modifier, +3% Local Missionary Strength (tech 19)

Manufactory
Naval Equipment: +1 Local Good Produced (tech 11)
Weapons: +1 Local Goods Produced (tech 11)
Textile: +1 Local Goods Produced (tech 11)
Plantations: +1 Local Goods Produced (tech 14)
Trade Station: +1 Local Goods Produced (tech 14)

Manufactories also require certain Trade Goods to be present in a province.

---

State of Affairs

Government: Reformed Taifa System (power split between the Sultan and Majlis)
Ruling Faction: The League of Merchants
Permitted Factions: The New Taifas, the Ulama
Rivals: France, Aragon, England
Alliances: Morocco, Celtic Empire
Subjects: none
Other Pacts: Guaranteeing Palermo
Diplomatic slots: 3/4
Treasury: 400 gold

---

And with that, the floor is open for proposals! I'm going to be busy tomorrow, so I'll let the session run for 24 hours.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

You mean we don't even have a mosque yet?! What blasphemy! Build one immediately!

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

WilliamAnderson posted:

Also, a question to the Sultan, can we get information about the current development of our gold mine? Would be useful for a proposal I am considering.

It's 9 development, a 3/3/3.

If anyone needs to know something in-game for a specific proposal, just say so.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Erwin the German posted:

You mean we don't even have a mosque yet?! What blasphemy! Build one immediately!

Quiet you, with your superstitious ways!

I propose we Explore and colonize these new islands Allah has delivered to us and continue to explore West of these islands to find a route to our Muslim brothers in China!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Proposing the Naval Superiority Policy: Develop the size and power of our navy so that it exceeds that of our strongest plausible naval rival. Consider this auto-withdrawn if we're already the strongest naval power in the area.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
The League of Merchants propose

That we find the sea route to Mecca so that our pilgrims do not have to brave the deserts or Christian pirates to pray at our holiest place! we can partake of the riches of India!

(I want us to explore towards finding a way to cross Africa so actually not going west towards the new world!)

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

TildeATH posted:

I propose we Explore and colonize these new islands Allah has delivered to us and continue to explore West of these islands to find a route to our Muslim brothers in China!

I, Grizzwold al-Grizzwold of the Merchants, second this proposal.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Hashim posted:

It's 9 development, a 3/3/3.

If anyone needs to know something in-game for a specific proposal, just say so.

Given this, I propose that we develop the production on our gold mine up to 10, with the other development increases split equally.

Gold rules the world after all.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Affi posted:

(I want us to explore towards finding a way to cross Africa so actually not going west towards the new world!)

Yeah, that's fine. So there are two proposals relating to exploration: one that wants to go west, and the other east. I'm not going to allow for both, so these two policies are conflicting, meaning members of the League of Merchants will have to decide between them, and the one with the most supporters will be carried out.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I, Samwyiyl al-Samivyr, head representative of the Al-Andalus Tujjar Alshshay, propose Western Expansion! We will find the passage to China by hook or by crook!

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Samovar posted:

I, Samwyiyl al-Samivyr, head representative of the Al-Andalus Tujjar Alshshay, propose Western Expansion! We will find the passage to China by hook or by crook!

TildeATH already proposed western expansion, so I'll just count this as support for the earlier proposal.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

TildeATH posted:

I support this. All hail The Golden Tide!

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

How dissappointing, that the bloodying of our nose inspires the great of Al-Andalus not to seek righteous retribution, but to cower behind silks and empty promises of gold! Only one thing in this world is sure, and it is steel. Therefore:

I, Ismail al-Cyrahzax, propose that we use the wealth that will surely be coming to us on a comprehensive program of military expansion and reform. We should build a barracks in the capital and in other population centers if possible, while also expanding the size of the standing army, recruiting better officers to lead it, and maintaining a minimum amount of wealth for hiring auxiliary forces in times of crisis.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

TildeATH posted:

Supporting this.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

TildeATH posted:

I, Talas of the League of Merchants, support this policy.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TildeATH posted:

I support this!

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

GunnerJ posted:

Proposing the Naval Superiority Policy: Develop the size and power of our navy so that it exceeds that of our strongest plausible naval rival. Consider this auto-withdrawn if we're already the strongest naval power in the area.

I, Muhammad al-Soup, support this policy. I think that seeking new lands will be profitable regardless which way we go, so it's important that we build up our navy to protect these profits from the French and Italians.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

I, Hussein al-Paragonia of the Merchants, do hereby propose that we build all of the docks (all of them), and also construct a new mosque to see to the spiritual needs of the sailors.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

GunnerJ posted:

I shall place my support behind this. While I do believe that seeking new lands is needed, I also believe that without the ability to protect those distant lands they are as good as worthless.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

By working with the heathens in the land of the Celts we have been brought to shame and ruin! I, Ralepozozaxe, The Dalai Ullama, propose that we break our alliance with them, and find a good Muslim ally to replace them.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I, Hilal Garsiya Sanyoid of the Merchants, propose that we begin funding a stronger navy to protect our financial interests from pirates and Christians.

EDIT:

GunnerJ posted:

Essentially this.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Erwin the German posted:

You mean we don't even have a mosque yet?!

We do have a couple mosques. The building list is for each province, not for the whole country. That said, feel free to build away, they're good.

WilliamAnderson posted:

Given this, I propose that we develop the production on our gold mine up to 10, with the other development increases split equally.

Gold rules the world after all.

I, Frionnel ibn Frionnel al Frionnel of the most prosperous League of Merchants, support this action! More gold for our coffers!

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 11, 2017