Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Play Merfolk.

The combo is that you assemble multiple lords and run your opponent over in your fishmobile. I'll even give you some sick tech.

Unified Will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Count Bleck posted:

Play Merfolk.

The combo is that you assemble multiple lords and run your opponent over in your fishmobile. I'll even give you some sick tech.

Unified Will.

I don't know who first started playing that in Merfolk SBs but it is probably the best thing out of the board for it (outside of Hurkyl's Recall which you need for that matchup.)

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

GoutPatrol posted:

I don't know who first started playing that in Merfolk SBs but it is probably the best thing out of the board for it (outside of Hurkyl's Recall which you need for that matchup.)

I've been seeing that pop up as a 2 of in the bant spirits board as well recently .......on that note

Count Bleck posted:

Play Merfolk.

Unified Will.

Play bant spirits because it's the most fun.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 11, 2017

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Ol' dummy broke the format

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/against-the-odds-new-perspectives-combo-standard

5-0 in matches 10-0 in games

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

that looks agonizing to play against but really fun to play

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Standard looks...fun?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
My dream is that the Pro Tour comes around and there's like four new decks that people have come up with, three of them just weird rear end combos and the fourth a dedicated hate control deck that is only built to beat Mardu and two of the combos. Yeah it's probably just going to be Mardu versus anti-Mardu, but a man can dream...

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Standard looks...fun?

A guy at my LGS tonight declined to play cube with us Friday night so he could play standard FNM.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

Standard looks...fun?

The relatively huge card pool (compared to pre-rotation change) actually makes it seem like there are some possibilities out there. And also no cat armies helps. I actually think there might be another version of the Shadow of the Grave combo deck out there since Baral and Curious Homunculus are running around along with Collective Defiance and Fateful Showdown. Something like:

Baral x 4
Homunculus x 4
Shadow of the Grave x 4
Defiance x 4
Showdown x4
Corrupted Grafstone x 4
Pieces of the Puzzle x 4
Anticipate x 4
Commit//Memory x 2-4

And then some other stuff, maybe Cathartic Reunion for consistency, or something like Thing in the Ice/Rise from the Tides/Fevered Visions/Spell copying effects.

Probably only good enough for FNM, but hey, actually exciting enough (at least for me) to try to mess around with since there are some tools out there with the expanded card pool.

Edit:
Ooh, or even the new red split card that has the double damage/damage can't be prevented side. Actually kind of interesting!

Rides Naked fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 11, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I don't know it's funnier that he played that deck because his first choice, Glorious End is bugged or that I specifically reported that bug in the beta with a very detailed bug report.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't know it's funnier that he played that deck because his first choice, Glorious End is bugged or that I specifically reported that bug in the beta with a very detailed bug report.

??? Why are you reporting bugs? The beta is there for testing the new cards - not testing the cards in the new build, but to test for the upcoming standard season. It seems pretty clear WotC doesn't care about bugs in the cards.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I'm wondering if it doesn't just fold to Lost Legacy though. A lot of these Approach decks seem super-vulnerable to disruption.

I didn't watch all the games because holy god combo decks are boring as poo poo to watch, but apparently he won through Lost Legacies?

Edit 2: Just saw it. He luck-sacked into a sphinx of the final word, which is a thing that happens. I guess we know what the next card banned it gonna be.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 11, 2017

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

My buddy was on this today. It looked cool as hell. We split the finals

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Veyrall posted:

I'm wondering if it doesn't just fold to Lost Legacy though. A lot of these Approach decks seem super-vulnerable to disruption.

I didn't watch all the games because holy god combo decks are boring as poo poo to watch, but apparently he won through Lost Legacies?

Edit 2: Just saw it. He luck-sacked into a sphinx of the final word, which is a thing that happens. I guess we know what the next card banned it gonna be.

It's not so much the vulnerability to Approach being removed as vulnerability of losing New Perspectives to Lost Legacy or discard, which removes the ability to craft the hand so trivially and has no replacement without boarding in Drake Haven, which is a whole other level of jank. The opponent was right to take New Perspectives first, and from there he definitely luck-sacked into that win.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Standard looks...fun?

Give it 3 weeks and it'll correct itself

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

That New Perspectives deck has been popping up on MTGO a bunch lately, it's good at beating up slower decks but the list is extremely rigid and the deck doesn't have much play to it so there's not much ability to improve bad matchups. It makes Marvel look like an interactive deck.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Tales of Woe posted:

That New Perspectives deck has been popping up on MTGO a bunch lately, it's good at beating up slower decks but the list is extremely rigid and the deck doesn't have much play to it so there's not much ability to improve bad matchups. It makes Marvel look like an interactive deck.

But does it work exactly as it reads?
In that if I have a full hand and a cycle card I can draw my entire deck?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Count Bleck posted:

More importantly is it fair

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

Yes, if you resolve New Perspectives and it draws you to 7+, you can immediately win the game by cycling through your whole deck, using Shefet Monitor and Vizier of Tumbling Sands to generate mana to cast Shadow of the Grave and then eventually 2x Approach of the Second Sun.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Tales of Woe posted:

Yes, if you resolve New Perspectives and it draws you to 7+, you can immediately win the game by cycling through your whole deck, using Shefet Monitor and Vizier of Tumbling Sands to generate mana to cast Shadow of the Grave and then eventually 2x Approach of the Second Sun.

The way New Perspectives is worded, you should actually get to keep the cycling card in hand.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Some Numbers posted:

The way New Perspectives is worded, you should actually get to keep the cycling card in hand.

Its not actually worded that way, but a bunch of dumb pendants can't let it go.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

We've been over this like a million pages ago, the 'cycling cost' is the cost you pay in addition to discarding the card when you cycle. You still have to discard it even if the cycling cost is 0.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Lone Goat posted:

Tales of Woe posted:

We've been over this like a million pages ago, the 'cycling cost' is the cost you pay in addition to discarding the card when you cycle. You still have to discard it even if the cycling cost is 0.

I'm aware of that, I was explaining what Count Bleck was talking about.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I re-sleeved my Breya EDH deck, and is Slobad, Goblin Tinkerer working on Karn?

Also man does the art on that look too similar to Goblin Welder.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

Unified Will is great because it should be such a known card for Merfolk but people still don't expect it. I've gotten so many "gotcha" counters out of it it's not even funny because they'll play around spell pierce and negate but walk straight into unified will.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mef989 posted:

Unified Will is great because it should be such a known card for Merfolk but people still don't expect it. I've gotten so many "gotcha" counters out of it it's not even funny because they'll play around spell pierce and negate but walk straight into unified will.

Just like Stubborn Denial in Grixis Shadow. It just feels amazing to cast.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

mcmagic posted:

Just like Stubborn Denial in Grixis Shadow. It just feels amazing to cast.

Not as amazing as stifling a fetchland.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Honestly if the new perspectives deck isn't just called new perspectives on scg I might have to throw a chair.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Count Bleck posted:

Honestly if the new perspectives deck isn't just called new perspectives on scg I might have to throw a chair.

"5-color Cycling"; you know its going to happen.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Balon posted:

"5-color Cycling"; you know its going to happen.

I just might vomit.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

I just might vomit.

don't worry

it'll be 4 color cycling because the deck has no red

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Elyv posted:

don't worry

it'll be 4 color cycling because the deck has no red

It runs a mountain and radiant flames out of the sideboard.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lone Goat posted:

If I wanted to be pedantic I'd point out that pendants are a totally different thing than pedants.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

If I wanted to be pedantic I'd point out that pendants are a totally different thing than pedants.

:perfect:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Rules question: If I have Eidolon of the Great Revel on the field and an opponent casts a 3 or under instant that prevents them from taking damage, do they still take the 2 damage since Eidolon punishes the casting of the spell and not the effect?

Are there discrete stages of an instant spell or is the cast and the effect simultaneous? Neither of us knew so I let him have it but I said I'd clarify later.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Deified Data posted:

Rules question: If I have Eidolon of the Great Revel on the field and an opponent casts a 3 or under instant that prevents them from taking damage, do they still take the 2 damage since Eidolon punishes the casting of the spell and not the effect?

Are there discrete stages of an instant spell or is the cast and the effect simultaneous? Neither of us knew so I let him have it but I said I'd clarify later.

They cast the spell, your trigger goes on the stack. Your trigger resolves before the spell does. Even split second cards aren't immune to this I believe.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Sickening posted:

They cast the spell, your trigger goes on the stack. Your trigger resolves before the spell does. Even split second cards aren't immune to this I believe.

Yeah triggered abilities go on top of split second spells. Back when miracles was a thing you'd have to play a game sometimes keeping a 3 CMC spell on top for Krosan Grip. So you'd sometimes let a spell resolve in anticipation of needing to counter the Grip.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Deified Data posted:

Yeah, there's two parts to a spell: casting and resolution.

After you cast, there's a round of priority, which means that the trigger goes on the stack and there's an opportunity for players to do things before it resolves.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Better Example.

"Sudden Shock your Norin the Wary."
"Trigger?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Count Bleck posted:

Better Example.

"Sudden Shock your Norin the Wary."
"Trigger?"

Villian: Extirpate your punishing fire.
Hero: Activate Grove in response, trigger, return punishing fire, fizzle extirpate
Villian: :reject: