Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Hamlin Would Have Won

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
howard progressively becomes a more likeable character each episode which is kind of impressive considering the light he was put under during the first season

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Howard enabled Chuck’s evil for far too long.

gently caress him.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Howard enabled Chuck’s evil for far too long.

gently caress him.
I don't think he had a choice. Didn't they say Chuck owns enough of the company that if he pulled out it would ruin them?

With that in mind it's not entirely clear that Howard even likes Chuck. It could be that everything's an act to preserve the company.

Though I don't remember if that explains how lovely he was towards Kim or not. I don't recall if Chuck was implied to be behind it all or if some of it was Howard's tough love professionalism. Because even if that's his only real crime it's a non-trivial one.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
could this end with chuck being found incompetent, causing his shares to come due or whatever that plotline was, thus imploding all of HHM?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
a boy can dream

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

maskenfreiheit posted:

could this end with chuck being found incompetent, causing his shares to come due or whatever that plotline was, thus imploding all of HHM?

Yep. He changes his name to avoid the aftermath And after Jimmy finds out about Howard's sweet fence-hopping moves, he becomes Huell's partner.

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

I don't remember the office Saul has in BB. Could it be where the nail salon is? That would be p funny

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Junkyard Poodle posted:

I don't remember the office Saul has in BB. Could it be where the nail salon is? That would be p funny

He tries to sell the salon to Walt.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Saul's BB office was in an L-shaped strip mall, the location hasn't been seen on BCS yet.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

If they do any post or during BB stuff, I want them to explain more about Madrigal. There are literally a thousand questions and like 3 answers about what in tarnation is going on around that.

"Oh by the way Gus doesn't actually own Pollos it's this billion dollar german conglomerate and are also possibly the illuminati of meth and a guy kills himself now back to cancer dad"

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 11, 2017

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I hope Chuck doesn't die; I want him to get healthy and go back to practicing law. He has to see every thing Jimmy does as Saul. Someone in this thread said Chuck would make a great "final boss" and they're absolutely right.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

drunken officeparty posted:

If they do any post or during BB stuff, I want them to explain more about Madrigal. There are literally a thousand questions and like 3 answers about what in tarnation is going on around that.

"Oh by the way Gus doesn't actually own Pollos it's this billion dollar german conglomerate and are also possibly the illuminati of meth and a guy kills himself now back to cancer dad"

They may have owned Pollos, but IIRC Madrigal functioned primarily as their methylamine supplier and their overseas distributor. It also wasn't the entire company, just that one german exec, Lydia, and her guys in Houston.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

clown shoes posted:

I hope Chuck doesn't die; I want him to get healthy and go back to practicing law. He has to see every thing Jimmy does as Saul. Someone in this thread said Chuck would make a great "final boss" and they're absolutely right.

Chuck doesn't get better, and ends up owning a competing cinnamon bun store, operated by gas lamps and wood burning stoves.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

anime was right posted:

howard progressively becomes a more likeable character each episode which is kind of impressive considering the light he was put under during the first season

Howard is great. He was played as a prick for like the first half of season 1, and ever since then it's been apparent that every time he fucks over Jimmy or Kim it's either to protect his firm or because Chuck is strongarming him. He likes both of them and would certainly have hired Jimmy into the firm/not held Kim back if he'd been given the chance.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They may have owned Pollos, but IIRC Madrigal functioned primarily as their methylamine supplier and their overseas distributor. It also wasn't the entire company, just that one german exec, Lydia, and her guys in Houston.

I *thought* that Madrigal was entirely unaware of what was going on with Pollos Hermanos, and it was just Lydia erasing barrels of methylamine in her inventories and packing bags of meth into overseas shipments. But the German tater tot dude obviously knew something was going on because he fried himself as soon as he heard the police had arrived. I also would like to know exactly how deep that went. I figure Pollos became successful independently and Madrigal just invested in it because they had a restaurant division, and then somehow Gus met Lydia and built the superlab and stuff. I'm interested in that bit of the story, though.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 11, 2017

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Supercar Gautier posted:

Saul's BB office was in an L-shaped strip mall, the location hasn't been seen on BCS yet.

And it won't be. After BB ended, Saul's office space got ripped out and turned into a lovely bar.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...5318671!6m1!1e1

That said, there's about a hundred other malls around town they could use that would be close enough.

UZR IS BULLSHIT fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 11, 2017

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The answer is "TV" if they don't ever do anything with it, but it takes more than 2 people to divert millions of dollars of industrial lab equipment, and also iirc they are funneling pounds of meth into eastern europe too. Which is why I called them meth illuminati because they would be the real bosses above Don Eladio and stuff, all while being an international conglomerate.

And there must be some fuckery going on in accounting that Gus launders millions through Pollos but for all intents and purposes he's just a district manager.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

A fun thing to think about is that if Chuck were a millionaire.

What would an ultra-rich person with Chuck's illness even do?

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Capntastic posted:

J-off to mail order dirty mags in a faraday cage

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Capntastic posted:

Move to to that town on the east coast where all the other people like him live where electronics are banned.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Set up shop in colonial Williamsburg.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Chuck is definitely a millionaire and can probably afford to do a lot of wacky stuff if he wanted to.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Are the real life :tinfoil: people afraid of electricity or electromagnetic waves. Because Chuck is apparently allergic to electricity and also radio waves like cell phones but not regular light that is literally the same got drat thing we just can't see it.

My answer depends on this. If it's just electricity, move to like rural Wisconsin or western Australia where the nearest person is 200 miles away. If it's EM then build a basement bunker with stuff built into the lead walls instead of stapling tin foil to the roof and live in darkness like Golem. If it's both then you might as well die.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

We can sperg about it forever but the answer is always: there is no logic to it, because it's a psychosomatic illness. If Chuck thinks something makes him feel bad then it makes him feel bad. It's clearly related to whether Jimmy is getting all the attention.

Like next episode he might turn right around and try to tell the board something like "of course, I just figured out why I couldn't feel the battery! It wasn't in the phone, so it wasn't conducting any current, and I can only feel moving currents, you see" or any number of other invented scenarios but they don't have to be logically consistent at all.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They're afraid of EM radiation. It's not worth investigating the mass idiocy.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Sagebrush posted:

We can sperg about it forever but the answer is always: there is no logic to it, because it's a psychosomatic illness. If Chuck thinks something makes him feel bad then it makes him feel bad. It's clearly related to whether Jimmy is getting all the attention.

Like next episode he might turn right around and try to tell the board something like "of course, I just figured out why I couldn't feel the battery! It wasn't in the phone, so it wasn't conducting any current, and I can only feel moving currents, you see" or any number of other invented scenarios but they don't have to be logically consistent at all.

Even if he did say that to the board he still had that loving crazy melt down in the middle of the hearing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Chuck could move to Snowflake, AZ

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/10/realestate/in-one-arizona-community-an-oasis-in-a-toxic-world.html

http://www.hcn.org/articles/environmental-illness-in-arizona

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jul/11/snowflake-arizona-environmental-illness

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I got the impression that Lydia/tatertot man were just getting big rear end under the table kickbacks. It wouldn't be that hard to make a few barrels of methylamine disappear every now and then.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SeANMcBAY posted:

Chuck is definitely a millionaire and can probably afford to do a lot of wacky stuff if he wanted to.

ya chuck has a dominant share of an enormous loving law firm. ignore the fact that a high end lawyer like him just needs to dump half his salary into any sort of wealth over 10 years to become a millionaire. dude is well off.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I get a kick out of this Gus Theory:

quote:

I propose that Gus Fring was a high ranking member of the Manuel Rodriguez Patriotic Front. This was a division of the Communist Party of Chile formed specifically for violently overthrowing Augusto Pinochet. They were known to smuggle weapons and possibly narcotics, and were considered a terrorist organization by the US Department of State.

In 1986, the FPMR attempted to assassinate Pinochet, but failed. The failed attempt caused a lot of in-fighting in the group, eventually leading to the complete disassociation from the Chilean Communist Party. Many prominent members left the group and/or fled the country.

Guess what year Gus arrived in Mexico? 1986. If he were a high ranking member of the FPMR, it would make sense that Hector would call him "Grand Generalisimo", and for Don Eladio to know who he was.

Comrade Gus.

Maybe he continued working for Soviet intelligence. His German connection? Former East Germans. His drug business? Funding black ops. Soviet Union collapses but the networks are still there. They just shift gears toward personal enrichment.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Accretionist posted:

I get a kick out of this Gus Theory:

Comrade Gus.

Maybe he continued working for Soviet intelligence. His German connection? Former East Germans. His drug business? Funding black ops. Soviet Union collapses but the networks are still there. They just shift gears toward personal enrichment.

Did you not hear his big speech to the employees? Gus is all american, he ain't no drat commie! :911:.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Gus definitely helped with some helicopter rides, if you know what I mean.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

NowonSA posted:

Did you not hear his big speech to the employees? Gus is all american, he ain't no drat commie! :911:.

quote:

Humphreys is best known for his published Ph.D. dissertation, Tearoom Trade (1970), an ethnographic study of anonymous male-male sexual encounters in public toilets (a practice known as "tea-rooming" in U.S. gay slang and "cottaging" in British English). Humphreys asserted that the men participating in such activity came from diverse social backgrounds, had differing personal motives for seeking homosexual contact in such venues, and variously self-perceived as "straight," "bisexual," or "gay."

Because Humphreys was able to confirm that over 50% of his subjects were outwardly heterosexual men with unsuspecting wives at home, a primary thesis of Tearoom Trade is the incongruence between the private self and the social self for many of the men engaging in this form of homosexual activity. Specifically, they put on a "breastplate of righteousness" (social and political conservatism) in an effort to conceal their deviant behavior and prevent being exposed as deviants. Humphreys tapped into a theme of incongruence between one's words and deeds that has become a primary methodological and theoretical concern in sociology throughout the 20th and 21st centuries
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laud_Humphreys

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SeANMcBAY posted:

Hell in this episode we saw even back at the start of his illness he was willing to pay guys to install a shitload of appliances/gear that wasn't even hooked up, just to maintain appearances.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Chuck was running out of money in Season 1 Episode 1, and needed to take HHM money (either cashing out his shares or taking a stipend) because otherwise Jimmy was subsidizing his groceries on his grim PD income.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I'm not saying it can't be done and I'm also completely willing to suspend my disbelief that Huell is just really good at what he does. But I am curious about the mechanics of putting something in someone's breast pocket that quickly and smoothly without them noticing.

The brain is really bad at paying attention to more than one thing at a time. If a big fat dude is unexpectedly bodychecking you, then for a split second you don't notice him rifling through your pocket, as the brain is still in full damage control mode trying to make sense of what happened. In fact I found it less believable that two experienced lawyers wouldn't suspect a pickpocket after strong unnecessary body contact with a stranger. That's pretty much how pickpocketing works 90% of the time: bumping into a person or otherwise creating or exploiting a distraction that momentarily overloads the mark's senses.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Ditocoaf posted:

Chuck was running out of money in Season 1 Episode 1, and needed to take HHM money (either cashing out his shares or taking a stipend) because otherwise Jimmy was subsidizing his groceries on his grim PD income.

It was probably the last-minute renovations before his ex-wife visited that ate up his money.

Which is the crazy old rich guy version of stuffing all your clothes into the wardrobe and quickly wiping off the counter before your date comes.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Am I the only one who thinks Jimmy needs to start becoming more of a complete scumbag soon? Evidence tampering, bringing in Rebecca, lying to the air force guy, etc. All very shady, uncool stuff, but it's still a far cry from a desk drawer full of burner phones and suggesting people be sent to Belize.

I'm sure it's coming and all, I'm just getting antsy.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Given this is a sequel to Breaking Bad I imagine it'll be hard to pick out any single point where he finally goes too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Karmine posted:

Am I the only one who thinks Jimmy needs to start becoming more of a complete scumbag soon? Evidence tampering, bringing in Rebecca, lying to the air force guy, etc. All very shady, uncool stuff, but it's still a far cry from a desk drawer full of burner phones and suggesting people be sent to Belize.

I'm sure it's coming and all, I'm just getting antsy.

Spoilers: We have two upcoming episodes this season titled "Slip" and "Fall". I'm not saying he's going full sleazebag, but I think we're going to be a lot closer to that by the end of the season.

e.: Disclaimer: Speculation based on upcoming episode titles should always be taken with a massive grain of salt.

Pepe Silvia Browne fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 11, 2017

• Locked thread